Options

"booing" in dublin last night

showtimeshowtime Posts: 11
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Hi Guys,

Anyone at the dublin show last night?

anyone know what all the "booing" was about? some people tell me its to do with the keyboard guy that his name is "boon" or something other people say they were booing the keyboard guy cos he was new (unlikely) others say its because Eddie or someone on stage had a flag with a union jack on it, but i didnt see it.

anyone know the real answer?

the show rocked BTW!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BCbteBCbte Posts: 61
    his name is Boom. The band know that the fans are saying Boom.
    Put the garbage in the garbage can... I can't stress that enough.
  • Options
    oh
  • Options
    gazgaz Posts: 233
    showtime wrote:
    Hi Guys,

anyone know what all the "booing" was about? some people tell me its to do with the keyboard guy that his name is "boon" or something other people say they were booing the keyboard guy cos he was new (unlikely) others say its because Eddie or someone on stage had a flag with a union jack on it, but i didnt see it.

the show rocked BTW!

I hope you're joking!!!!
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I was waiting for this! I thought Ed sorted this out anyway... but yes, it was for Boom
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    showtime wrote:
    Hi Guys,

the show rocked BTW!

It's not booing it's a fans thing for Boom the keyboard player. Even Boom himself acknowledged it. If you watch the Madison Square Gardens DVD you'll hear the crowd doing the same! Thought everyone knew that!
    Banner: You're out there somewhere, beer baron! And I'll find you.
    Homer: No you won't!
    Banner: Yes, I will!
    Homer: Won't!
  • Options
    BCbteBCbte Posts: 61
    Beer Baron wrote:
    Thought everyone knew that!

You'd be surprised by how many people do not know that. I went with 5 or 6 casual PJ fans and none of them knew it.
    Put the garbage in the garbage can... I can't stress that enough.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    showtime wrote:
    Eddie or someone on stage had a flag with a union jack on it,

Tell me they didn't. Oh man.
  • Options
    Tell me they didn't. Oh man.

There was no Union Jack... jeez! There was an Irish flag and a Polish flag thrown at them... but no Union Jack and no booing!
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    How do these rumours start? Who makes them up?
  • Options
    8000 people... someone's bound to get it wrong!
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    cclayescclayes Posts: 28
    oh yeah makes sense lol!

Just at one point i thought ed said whats with the booing!and it all sounds the same!okay well it was an awesome gig!

well worth the trip!anyone else go over from scotland?
  • Options
    BCbte wrote:
    You'd be surprised by how many people do not know that. I went with 5 or 6 casual PJ fans and none of them knew it.

well ive been listening to pearl jam for a good few years now and it was news to me when i saw a keyboard player!
  • Options
    The test will be at Leeds and Reading. There's no way all those thousands of people are going to know the keyboard player's name. So if you hear something like boos, they're boos....

But personally, I'm sure there will be lots of cheers, though. :)
  • Options
    JaymacJaymac Posts: 513
    Boom was fucking loving Dublin... at one stage he ducked below his keyboard and was peeking out from underneath while we were all shouting BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM :)
    23/08/2006 - Dublin; 29/08/2006 - Arnhem; 30/08/2006 - Antwerp; 18/06/2007 - London; 18/08/2009 - London<br>

Proud member of the European Touring Bus 2006!
  • Options
    JaymacJaymac Posts: 513
    cclayes wrote:
    oh yeah makes sense lol!

Just at one point i thought ed said whats with the booing!and it all sounds the same!okay well it was an awesome gig!

He did say that, but he was taking the piss.. and we all pointed at Boom, and started doing it louder :) People do that at every show... nothing new for the band - they know it's not boos :)
    23/08/2006 - Dublin; 29/08/2006 - Arnhem; 30/08/2006 - Antwerp; 18/06/2007 - London; 18/08/2009 - London<br>

Proud member of the European Touring Bus 2006!
  • Options
    The test will be at Leeds and Reading. There's no way all those thousands of people are going to know the keyboard player's name. So if you hear something like boos, they're boos....

the thing is though, why would people stick around just to boo PJ? S'pose not everyone thinks like me!
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    AbnerielAbneriel Posts: 109

I learned through the bootlegs...I'm sure they've heard boots too
    www.myspace.com/abneriel
  • Options
    SubsonicSubsonic Posts: 35
    I knew the whole boo/Boom debate before the show...but i gotta say it did sound like the crowd was booing.Not saying they were,it just sounded that way.The band knows its not so thats what matters.Unreal gig and that organ solo Boomm did on Crazy Mary deserved his name being chanted
    www.Subsonic.ie

www.myspace.com/subsonicspace
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    the thing is though, why would people stick around just to boo PJ? S'pose not everyone thinks like me!

I've seen it before, at festivals. Heckling Ed, and all sorts. But enough of this negativity! :)
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    you think they'd know that from a bootleg by now, i kinda shocked by this thread
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    i thought it was hilarious. Eddie made a good joke out of it too :D

Still though this thread is hilarious. It's one thing not to know about it going in to a gig, but when Eddie actually explains it to the crowd and people still don't get it....that's when I start to worry.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    cclayes wrote:
    oh yeah makes sense lol!

yes came over from Fraserburgh, it was something ill treasure for ever.
    hows life treating u? better yet, how r u treating life?
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,859
    How do these rumours start? Who makes them up?

BLAME BLAIR!
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    CregserCregser Posts: 11
    i thought it was hilarious. Eddie made a good joke out of it too :D

Still though this thread is hilarious. It's one thing not to know about it going in to a gig, but when Eddie actually explains it to the crowd and people still don't get it....that's when I start to worry.
    He didn't really explain it so much as introduce Boom - and you could barely here his name over the cheering. Also, most people were too far away to tell if Ed was smiling or not.

Here's a (bad quality) clip of it when the guys came out for the first encore:
    Boom.mp3
    ---
    Pearl Jam! Come back to Ireland!!
  • Options
    Although Ed is obviously over familiar with the Boom thing, I think he was - at first - honestly checking in with the crowd. He was looking at the Irish flag with his back to the audience, and I believe when he turned around he wanted to be sure there was nothing really wrong. He said "I sense some negativity", but after about a microsecond when everyone was pointing at Boom he was of course toying with the crowd.
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Although Ed is obviously over familiar with the Boom thing, I think he was - at first - honestly checking in with the crowd. He was looking at the Irish flag with his back to the audience, and I believe when he turned around he wanted to be sure there was nothing really wrong. He said "I sense some negativity", but after about a microsecond when everyone was pointing at Boom he was of course toying with the crowd.

He was not checking with the crowd for FECKS sake he was playing!!

And there may well be BOOM chants at Leeds and Reading, they are not boo's, get with the programme :rolleyes: :D:D
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    Beer Baron wrote:
    It's not booing it's a fans thing for Boom the keyboard player. Even Boom himself acknowledged it. If you watch the Madison Square Gardens DVD you'll hear the crowd doing the same! Thought everyone knew that!

Leaving the VFC show in Grand Rapids, I had a couple come up and ask me why they were booing during Crazy Mary. I told them why and they were like "Oh that makes sense."
    Noblesville 6/03
    Toledo 10/04
    Grand Rapids 10/04
    Grand Rapids 5/06
    Cleveland 5/06
    Cincinnati 6/06
    *hopefully sometime before I die* Noblesville

Songs I'm hoping to hear live: Nothingman, In My Tree, Indifference, and Animal
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Cregser wrote:
    Also, most people were too far away to tell if Ed was smiling or not.
    hate that :D
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they weren't booing, they were saying, moo...moo...i think they wanted some milk.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    This thread agian?

Booooo
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!