Options

just got back from Letterman........

jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
well not me, but lets hear about it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Hey, just got back from the post-letterman show.

AND WOW WAS IT FREAKIN AWESOME

PJ_Lukin got the setlist and ed's bottle of wine after the show.

They sounded fantastic, although lead parts were a little quiet.

BUT OMG it was amazing.

they had on the setlist do the evolution/alive, and they crossed alive out and played why go instead.

It was awesome.
  • Options
    Ben Red BlueBen Red Blue Posts: 124
    Thats freaky! I was looking through the SongList wondering when they last did Why Go and I saw Ed Sullivan! Boo!! But Yayy!!

I hope it sees more air this year than last.
    Benjamin, TouringVan 05/06

"Who is driving? Oh my god Bear is driving, how can that be?! ...Car full of midgets!"

Photobucket: MagicBus2006
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Just let me say this was by far the most intense hour of PJ I have ever been present for. They were on fire and the fans were great. Some people had a problem with the Leash stuff on this board, but it was all in good fun and I think the band realized it. All I can say is lighten up a little, we were caught up in the moment and it was fun.

My Wife and I walked away from this show with a setlist, a Mike pick and Ed's wine, and some GREAT memories! What a haul for one show!

My wife got a Mike pick from a very nice couple in the 2nd row who already had one. True Fans, and I will always remember their kindness.

After the show, I walked up to the stage and asked a reluctant security guy to ask one of the road crew for the set list. As it turns out he asks the one and only PJ crew I have ever met. Rickie (Ramone) Weinman, Ed's guitar tech. Rick looked up and came over and handed it to me. He said Hello and remembered me from our shared plane ride to Chicago. It was great!
    We had a set list and a Mike pick and a great show under our belts! What a day!

We had some time before our train so we went around to the side of the theater and waited for PJ to come out. After about 30-40 minutes, out comes Matt. He walked right over to the crowd and starts signing. Matt was there for a good 5-10 minutes. Then out comes Boom and heads straight for the 2nd van. I noticed Ed's significant other and another woman carrying a small child into the 2nd van as well. I figured that the band would be in that van so I went near it. When Ed came out he waved and said hello to the crowd and headed for the van. I was maybe 10 feet from him setlist and pen in hand hoping beyond hope that Ed would sign it. Ed looked up and I said "Any chance?" Ed stops dead in his tracks, looks me right in the eyes and takes a few steps towards me reaches out and hands me his wine. As I have read on here before with other peoples experiences with meeting Ed, it was as if he sought me out. I was so stunned at my good fortune. I am still numb. What a day!

I will be posting pics on all three sometime tomorrow.

I just want to say that the fans I waited with today were the nicest, most decent people. We all ended up sitting near each other in the 2nd and 3rd rows, dead center of the stage. We had a great time.
    Thank you PJ for the great memory! What a DAY!
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    Hey, just got back from the post-letterman show.

AND WOW WAS IT FREAKIN AWESOME

PJ_Lukin got the setlist and ed's bottle of wine after the show.

They sounded fantastic, although lead parts were a little quiet.

BUT OMG it was amazing.

they had on the setlist do the evolution/alive, and they crossed alive out and played why go instead.

It was awesome.
    i thought ed ran off with his bottle?
    Springfield MA 94, Letterman "After Show" 06, Hartford CT 06 , Hartford CT 08
  • Options
    i thought ed ran off with his bottle?
    sorry should have finished reading first!
    Springfield MA 94, Letterman "After Show" 06, Hartford CT 06 , Hartford CT 08
  • Options
    robunglesonrobungleson Posts: 57
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Just let me say this was by far the most intense hour of PJ I have ever been present for. They were on fire and the fans were great. Some people had a problem with the Leash stuff on this board, but it was all in good fun and I think the band realized it. All I can say is lighten up a little, we were caught up in the moment and it was fun.

My Wife and I walked away from this show with a setlist, a Mike pick and Ed's wine, and some GREAT memories! What a haul for one show!

My wife got a Mike pick from a very nice couple in the 2nd row who already had one. True Fans, and I will always remember their kindness.

After the show, I walked up to the stage and asked a reluctant security guy to ask one of the road crew for the set list. As it turns out he asks the one and only PJ crew I have ever met. Rickie (Ramone) Weinman, Ed's guitar tech. Rick looked up and came over and handed it to me. He said Hello and remembered me from our shared plane ride to Chicago. It was great!
    We had a set list and a Mike pick and a great show under our belts! What a day!

We had some time before our train so we went around to the side of the theater and waited for PJ to come out. After about 30-40 minutes, out comes Matt. He walked right over to the crowd and starts signing. Matt was there for a good 5-10 minutes. Then out comes Boom and heads straight for the 2nd van. I noticed Ed's significant other and another woman carrying a small child into the 2nd van as well. I figured that the band would be in that van so I went near it. When Ed came out he waved and said hello to the crowd and headed for the van. I was maybe 10 feet from him setlist and pen in hand hoping beyond hope that Ed would sign it. Ed looked up and I said "Any chance?" Ed stops dead in his tracks, looks me right in the eyes and takes a few steps towards me reaches out and hands me his wine. As I have read on here before with other peoples experiences with meeting Ed, it was as if he sought me out. I was so stunned at my good fortune. I am still numb. What a day!

I will be posting pics on all three sometime tomorrow.

I just want to say that the fans I waited with today were the nicest, most decent people. We all ended up sitting near each other in the 2nd and 3rd rows, dead center of the stage. We had a great time.
    Thank you PJ for the great memory! What a DAY!

Sounds like it was an amazing day for you! I'm jealous!
  • Options
    yakko69yakko69 Posts: 131
    ...44 shows...and counting....
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

My wife and I were glad to make your wife happy PJ_Lukin. Hope you both remember yesterday forever. We were very blessed to be at the show and it was great meeting you both and spending the day in line with such a great family (10c members)
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    who's pick is this?
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/licoug/PJ-Letterman%20NYC/102_0266.jpg
    i dont think i've ver seen this one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    i am guessing its stone's. mike's were yellow and ed's were black.
  • Options
    yakko69yakko69 Posts: 131
    Its mine! lol. Im not sure who threw it out. I just remember diving to get it...and I did! What a show!
    ...44 shows...and counting....
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    i am guessing its stone's. mike's were yellow and ed's were black.
    that's what i thought..i've got a yellow mike and a black ev
    and i'm pretty sure it wasnt jeff's so unless mike or ed changed designs...it's gotta be a stone
    ahhhhh the rare thrown pick from stone...priceless!

glad you all that were there...were THERE!
    :)
    i enjoyed it and was jumping around like a madwoman in front of my PC right along with yas!
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    you know, after you see PJ play big arena-type shows, how could just a little set do it? How can it be as powerful as some 2+ hour marathon? but the ol'RK has to hand it to the band, for just under an hour, the band last nite was simply amazing. The ol'RK couldn't help leaving that show totally blown away. Almost like, having your whole perspective altered in just under an hour. The webcast doesn't truly do the event justice.

The ol'RK would also like in particular thank his fellow attendees. All 350 of us were hardcore and totally into it and you could see the band was not only blown away by it, but also feeding off all the energy.

As for people squabbling about "Leash", it's really rather silly. People hold signs and it's become a gag. The band's gag back was their sign. All in good fun!

yer pal,
    ol'RK
  • Options
    you know, after you see PJ play big arena-type shows, how could just a little set do it? How can it be as powerful as some 2+ hour marathon? but the ol'RK has to hand it to the band, for just under an hour, the band last nite was simply amazing. The ol'RK couldn't help leaving that show totally blown away. Almost like, having your whole perspective altered in just under an hour. The webcast doesn't truly do the event justice.

The ol'RK would also like in particular thank his fellow attendees. All 350 of us were hardcore and totally into it and you could see the band was not only blown away by it, but also feeding off all the energy.

As for people squabbling about "Leash", it's really rather silly. People hold signs and it's become a gag. The band's gag back was their sign. All in good fun!

yer pal,
    ol'RK

but.........

No rumors to kill today?
  • Options
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    but.........

No rumors to kill today?

rumors are killed every day. but sometimes not always reported. and killed rumors are rarely reported the day after when you have trouble hearing after being bombarded with a huge wall of sound courtesy of Mr. Mike McCready.

Hope that helps...

yer pal,
    ol'RK
  • Options
    Soon ForgetSoon Forget Posts: 59
    What a night it must have been for you that were there! Watching the video for the 6th or 7th time today I love how they kept showing the fans. The fans! Towards the end you see EV standing inches from the audience and the people unable to believe it. You could see the look in their(your) eyes. Man!(shaking head)

I was ecstatic when I finally was able to figure out how to record it, I can not even imagine being there.

Congratulations and great for you guys!
  • Options
    jdelinjdelin Posts: 189
    PJ_Lukin... I was sitting right behind you with my friend at the post-Letterman show. You are very lucky to have gotten Ed's "Jordan" wine (a $48 bottle!) I managed to get a Mike pick too... the whole experience was amazing and was worth the 8-hour round trip to and from Boston.

NY 9/29/96; NJ 9/8/98; NY 9/10/98; NY 8/24/00; Mansfield 7/2/03; Mansfield 7/11/03; Boston 9/28/04 (VFC); Post-Letterman, NY 5/4/06; Boston 5/24/06; Boston 5/25/06; Mansfield 6/28/08; Mansfield 6/30/08; Boston 5/17/10; Dublin 6/22/10; Alpine Valley 9/3/11; Alpine Valley 9/4/11; Worcester 10/15/13; Worcester 10/16/13; Brooklyn 10/18/13; Philadelphia 4/29/16; Boston 8/5/16; Boston 8/7/16, Seattle 8/8/18, Seattle 8/10/18, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18

Mike Watt featuring EV, NY 4/27/95; Three Fish w/JA, NY 7/11/96; Three Fish w/JA, NY 6/11/99; EV Solo, Boston 8/1/08, Tres Mts. w/JA & MM, Boston 3/27/11; EV Solo, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    edDvedDedDvedD Posts: 36
    there's no video from Letterman?
    .....and he still gets his love he just gives it away,
    the love he receives is the love that is saved,
    and sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky.
    a human being that was GIVEN TO FLY.....
  • Options
    edDvedD wrote:
    there's no video from Letterman?
    Sure there is! It is streamed on Lettermans site.
  • Options
    jdelin wrote:
    PJ_Lukin... I was sitting right behind you with my friend at the post-Letterman show. You are very lucky to have gotten Ed's "Jordan" wine (a $48 bottle!) I managed to get a Mike pick too... the whole experience was amazing and was worth the 8-hour round trip to and from Boston.

Great day and night for me. I am pretty sure I will never have another PJ day like that. Once in a lifetime. Ed has expensive taste in wine I see! There was about 1/4 the bottle left too! I passed it around and a few other people finished it off in true Crazy Mary fashion!
  • Options
    If anyone has anymore pictures, please post them or direct me...
    I'm probably in some of the shots waiting for the guys on 53rd afterwards...
    I was wearing a brown corduroy shirt...tall guy, red hair, my friend had a blue and yellow checkered shirt on...longer brown hair...
    neither of us had cameras, so...
    thanks...
    great time...
    wow
    still shaking.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    jdelinjdelin Posts: 189
    Here is a pic of Ed that I managed to take when they left...

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/jdelin99/IMG_0568.jpg

NY 9/29/96; NJ 9/8/98; NY 9/10/98; NY 8/24/00; Mansfield 7/2/03; Mansfield 7/11/03; Boston 9/28/04 (VFC); Post-Letterman, NY 5/4/06; Boston 5/24/06; Boston 5/25/06; Mansfield 6/28/08; Mansfield 6/30/08; Boston 5/17/10; Dublin 6/22/10; Alpine Valley 9/3/11; Alpine Valley 9/4/11; Worcester 10/15/13; Worcester 10/16/13; Brooklyn 10/18/13; Philadelphia 4/29/16; Boston 8/5/16; Boston 8/7/16, Seattle 8/8/18, Seattle 8/10/18, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18

Mike Watt featuring EV, NY 4/27/95; Three Fish w/JA, NY 7/11/96; Three Fish w/JA, NY 6/11/99; EV Solo, Boston 8/1/08, Tres Mts. w/JA & MM, Boston 3/27/11; EV Solo, Boston 6/16/11