Tom Petty BLEW away Pearl Jam

jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
thats what my dumbass friend said when we were in St. Paul. It was his first time seeing PJ and he liked Comeback alot and thought it they were ok in general but he liked petty alot more. Obviously alot of us are bais towards a certain band and I am certainly one of them. I am not all the happy with the idea of pj opening for petty. pj tours are so spread out (in years) I would take 3 hours of pj anyday. if I wanted to see petty i would go to a petty concert somewhere on his own tour. the st paul show was did not live up to my expectations. I wanted more. petty had better and louder equipment and i thought it was not right to have pj open. yes petty deserves respect but leave the opening act for some who has to pay their dues. Pearl Jam has. my $0.02.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Gators76Gators76 Posts: 160
    Lock your friend in a room with the MSG DVD and then see how he responds. And then tell him that MSG isnt even close to their best performance.
    Toledo 96, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Vegas 06,
    San Diego 06.....Do I want some more? I said FUCK YEAH!!!!
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Gators76 wrote:
    Lock your friend in a room with the MSG DVD and then see how he responds. And then tell him that MSG isnt even close to their best performance.

Or better yet some of those south american DVDs

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    jlew24asu wrote:
    dumbass friend

Yup. :)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
    are you sure your friend doesn't have a hearing aid? Make sure its turned on next time! Jokin haha
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Or better yet some of those south american DVDs
    I'm sorry where do you get those?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • worldworld Posts: 266
    Tom Petty does do a GREAT show, no doupt bout that!
    Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    I'm sorry where do you get those?

http://youkanfakoff.com/

it just became a invite only site because of the high demand. if you want an invite let me know.

EDIT: the site just hit the max users check back later
  • tyemarietyemarie Posts: 40
    jlew24asu wrote:
    t I am not all the happy with the idea of pj opening for petty. pj tours are so spread out (in years) I would take 3 hours of pj anyday. .

i am so glad this is being said...everyone i spoke to thought it was great that it was tompetty/pearl jam. i have respect for tompetty but i didn't drive 8 hrs to see 90 min of pj, and a whole lotta tompetty. i think it was sort of misleading as well....once we got to st.paul it wasn't pearl jam and tom petty, it was TOM PETTY w/ guests pearl jam. oh well..... it was a great show ....i was just left wanting more.......
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
    damnit cant i get a thread that goes over one page!
  • gmcabralgmcabral Posts: 50
    tyemarie wrote:
    i am so glad this is being said...everyone i spoke to thought it was great that it was tompetty/pearl jam. i have respect for tompetty but i didn't drive 8 hrs to see 90 min of pj, and a whole lotta tompetty. i think it was sort of misleading as well....once we got to st.paul it wasn't pearl jam and tom petty, it was TOM PETTY w/ guests pearl jam. oh well..... it was a great show ....i was just left wanting more.......

then why not go to a show where PJ is the headline and stay away from the petty show? PJ should always open for Petty. that's how rock 'n roll works. it's nothing new. PJ has 10+ more years to do what Petty has done. i love PJ and have seen them 40 times, but get real people. learn about music and what it takes to be around 30yrs and still rellevant.
    gmcabral wrote:
    then why not go to a show where PJ is the headline and stay away from the petty show? PJ should always open for Petty. that's how rock 'n roll works. it's nothing new. PJ has 10+ more years to do what Petty has done. i love PJ and have seen them 40 times, but get real people. learn about music and what it takes to be around 30yrs and still rellevant.

because pj isnt going to many places and some peoples only chance to see them is with petty. no one is saying petty should open pj. personally im saying pj shouldnt open for anyone, even the almighty tom petty. you know what fuck petty there i said it
    jlew24asu wrote:
    because pj isnt going to many places and some peoples only chance to see them is with petty. no one is saying petty should open pj. personally im saying pj shouldnt open for anyone, even the almighty tom petty. you know what fuck petty there i said it

so you can't make it to any of these shows other than the petty show?

http://www.pearljam.com/tour/

PJ is opening for Petty because they respect and support Petty. he's a legend. he's no different than the Stones. should PJ not open for the Stones? All i'm saying is, don't go to the show if you are gonna bash them opening. you knew they were opening. get in a car and drive, or fly. you have many options, but instead you chose to go then bitch about how they shouldn't be opening. if they weren't opening, you wouldn't have seen them at all right? isn't that worse?
    gmcabral wrote:
    so you can't make it to any of these shows other than the petty show?

http://www.pearljam.com/tour/

PJ is opening for Petty because they respect and support Petty. he's a legend. he's no different than the Stones. should PJ not open for the Stones? All i'm saying is, don't go to the show if you are gonna bash them opening. you knew they were opening. get in a car and drive, or fly. you have many options, but instead you chose to go then bitch about how they shouldn't be opening. if they weren't opening, you wouldn't have seen them at all right? isn't that worse?

petty is not in the same class as the stones. thats a ridiculous statement. and yes i made it to several pj shows this year. other people couldnt.
  • LabyrinthLabyrinth Posts: 25
    Tom Petty maybe blew Pearl Jam, but certainly didn't blow them away.
  • LabyrinthLabyrinth Posts: 25
    Petty isn't even in the same class as Elliot Smith, let alone the Stones, lol.
  • homeratbathomeratbat Posts: 219
    i never seen tom petty live but i know people who have MANY times and they say the show in amazing! i dont think pj would open up for an act that wasnt good live! and they should blow pj off the stage if they are the headliner! must have been a great double bill!!
    jlew24asu wrote:
    petty is not in the same class as the stones. thats a ridiculous statement. and yes i made it to several pj shows this year. other people couldnt.

sucks for the other people. they should have made it to another show then. i didn't say petty was in the same class as the stones, but he's a pioneer for sure. and i'm sure everyone in PJ is a big fan and are honored to open up for him and would do it again.

basically, the statement "PJ should not be opening for Petty" is a complete logical joke to anyone who truly loves music, it's history and understands what it's like to be in a band.
  • jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
    gmcabral wrote:
    you knew they were opening.

Actually, no we didn't. It was billed as "co-headlining" when we bought the tickets. That would suggest EQUAL time. I understand, but did not like, PJ playing first. I get it. But in no way were we told AT THE TIME THE TICKETS WENT ON SALE, that it would be a shorter set. "Both bands will do full sets" is what 10c said. I guess, technically, it probably was a full set, but it certainly was never implied it would be a shorter set. Just my $.02.

That being said, PJ blew me away, and I could care less to see Petty ask for applause for him one more time.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
    jambayleaf wrote:
    Actually, no we didn't. It was billed as "co-headlining" when we bought the tickets. That would suggest EQUAL time. I understand, but did not like, PJ playing first. I get it. But in no way were we told AT THE TIME THE TICKETS WENT ON SALE, that it would be a shorter set. "Both bands will do full sets" is what 10c said. I guess, technically, it probably was a full set, but it certainly was never implied it would be a shorter set. Just my $.02.

That being said, PJ blew me away, and I could care less to see Petty ask for applause for him one more time.

how is it that i've been in the 10C for 10+ yrs, i'm going to 4 shows this tour, i read about the Petty shows and yet i knew they were opening for Petty? Opening meaning shorter set. I don't know of many shows where both bands play 30 song sets.
  • everyone does realize that Pearl Jam were not forced to go on tour with Tom Petty? It was their choice. I saw Tom Petty at Bonnaroo and thought he sucked and I would also much rather see them play on their own, but they could have said no. It is not a bout finding a band that has paid their dues. It was a special opportunity for Pearl Jam to play with tPetty. I mean the Allman Brothers are opening up for Tom Petty. Not comparing the two bands, but the Allman brothers are in the Cock -n- Roll HOF and they are opening for Petty. Again it was their choice.
    gmcabral wrote:
    how is it that i've been in the 10C for 10+ yrs, i'm going to 4 shows this tour, i read about the Petty shows and yet i knew they were opening for Petty? Opening meaning shorter set. I don't know of many shows where both bands play 30 song sets.

Not sure how you knew that. Really, 10c never said that. They said, "Both bands will be playing full sets". How does that say, "Petty will play longer than Pearl Jam, and Petty will play last on every show"? There was alot of debate prior to the first show if they will swap from one night to the next, one open, then the other open. That would make more sense, since they are "Coheadlining" and everything. Nothing "Co" about it. I say all these things because I love the band alot, and really these were the closest shows to me and my wife. With a family and two kids, you have to look for what's most economical, and they happened to be the Petty shows for us.
    You're batman!- George
  • janegosfordjanegosford Posts: 179
    Petty's great but I think most of the reviews I've read in the media would argue against your friend's theory.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    to each their own...if he liked them better then thats his opinion

not everyone is going to like PJ and that should be ok

i dont think we should have to choose one over the other, but enjoy both experiences
    Labyrinth wrote:
    Tom Petty maybe blew Pearl Jam, but certainly didn't blow them away.

LMAO thats great
    jambayleaf wrote:
    Not sure how you knew that. Really, 10c never said that. They said, "Both bands will be playing full sets". How does that say, "Petty will play longer than Pearl Jam, and Petty will play last on every show"? There was alot of debate prior to the first show if they will swap from one night to the next, one open, then the other open. That would make more sense, since they are "Coheadlining" and everything. Nothing "Co" about it. I say all these things because I love the band alot, and really these were the closest shows to me and my wife. With a family and two kids, you have to look for what's most economical, and they happened to be the Petty shows for us.

you should be sending emails to the 10C and calling them on their promises then if that's what they promised you. i pretty much knew just by basic logic that there is no way both bands would play 30 song sets each. somebody had to open for somebody... and that somebody would have to PJ in my opinion. Petty should never play before PJ in my opinion.
    gmcabral wrote:
    somebody had to open for somebody... and that somebody would have to PJ in my opinion. Petty should never play before PJ in my opinion.

After seeing two shows with Petty, Petty should have opened. More people sat down during the Petty set, just WAY less energy. Even dj's at our stupid local radio, who only play Betterman on the radio, and way more classic Petty, say that they have never seen a better live band than PJ, and that's from the casual listener.

I don't mean to complain, just debate a thought. No need to write 10c, I thoroughly enjoyed PJ's set. It's Petty's yawner I have trouble with. "I'm gonna give you one moment where everything is alright." Then, what do you know, the next night, "I'm gonna give you one moment where everything is alright, just one moment." Whoa, did I hear that again?
    You're batman!- George
  • denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    I said it once before, I think PJ is brilliant for opening for Petty...Last night I was in the can after my 15th beer and this old petty fan says "hey, these Pearl Jam guys are a pretty damn good, I would have never of guessed it." To me there getting exposure they never would have gotten if not opening for Petty...Good move guys.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I had broken a sweat by the time PJ finished last night in Denver. By the time Petty was done, I was dry again.

I like Petty, but seriously.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • gforce33gforce33 Posts: 24
    i really want to keep some of these threads and pull them out 15 years from now when Ed is 56 and PJ is doing their 30th anniv. tour and the fans of the opener on that show are doing the exact same bitching about PJ and how their fav band is getting shorted time.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    Labyrinth wrote:
    Petty isn't even in the same class as Elliot Smith, let alone the Stones, lol.

No doubt. I almost shit when I saw that.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.