Options

i just saw into the wild.

2»

Comments

• Options
    hobbes wrote:
    he had everything he was looking for. people loved him. people missed him..what a waste of life.

That's the point...I think he felt he didn't have anything his soul desired. He was not fulfilled with his life or his relationships or with the path he was going. He was trying to connect to people and nature on a different level. He choose a different path. It's that simple.

A waste? I don't know...look at all the discussions. He's been gone for 15 years and people are still talking about him, his life, his experience.

Huh, a waste? Right? Wrong? It's all about perspective.
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    yah i dunno if they were trying to make him into some holden-esque lovable asshole but to me he just came off as completely selfish... there were some spectacular parts to the movie tho! and the fact that it is a true story helped me to look past the ending and still appreciate it for the cinematography and the music and the acting, which i thought were all very strong
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    Well I took my mom this week. my 2nd time. I can’t believe it’s still playing! And the theater was pretty full even for a late showing on a sunday night!

Here’s her take on it, I wanted to share it with you:
    In the 60’s everybody wanted to live like that in Slab City. By choice, not because they were homeless. After WWII men came home and it was all about the American Dream. Working hard having a huge house, having this and that. In the 60’s people went, ‘hey, who says we need all that?’ But they were some who still fed into that whole material thing and worked their asses off. Thou now we have a generation that has gone to far to that extreme. Want, want, want, but don’t want to work for it because our parents did the working for it and gave to their kids.

Then she said how she was furious with his parents. (about the secret double life thing) Then I brought up it seems to me fatherhood has really gone downhill. She agreed. It’s not about working 24/7 to give things to your kids, it’s about being there and being a good role model.

he lived his life the way he wanted. which was a beautiful thing. much better than dying a drug junkie. now THAT'S a waste.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    hobbes wrote:
    and i must say that i can't believe how he was portrayed at the end as a kind of hero for someone who basically comitted suicide.

he was stupid. arrogant. and the antithesis of everything the authors he thought he understood spoke of. he had everything he was looking for. people loved him. people missed him. the only part i thought was really fitting was when he knew he was dead and he knew he had made a mistake. happiness is only real when it is shared (or whatever he wrote along those lines).

if it takes death for that kind of epiphany then i don't want one..what a waste of life.

Some people are as ignorant as they are judgemental. Chris wasn't trying to die, he was trying to live. He made a mistake and sadly it was in a place where your margins of error are very slight. God, I have spent a bunch of time in the wild because I was free and I didn't have to deal with insufferable opinionated pricks. On many occasions, I could have died, but it wasn't because I was trying to; it's because the risks of really living are worth the reward. I know my friends and famly would have understood if an accident had occured but I'm sure a ton of jackasses out there might read the headline and decide I was stupid and selfish. Lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/