Options

Thoughts on new album ?

Comments

• Options
    First impression is that its a great album. Infallible is an immediate standout. Can't wait for the vinyl to arrive, bang on my cans and crank up the volume.
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    OzzieOzzie Posts: 230
    Love it!

Flying out to NYC this week for B1 - going to be awesome!
    Isle of Wight, 23rd June 2012
    Brooklyn, 18th October 2013
    Memphis, 14th October 2014
    Krakow, 3rd July 2018
    London, 8th July 2022
  • Options
    IrishGuyIrishGuy Posts: 258
    edited October 2013
    I've listened to it a few times now and in my opinion I would say that overall it seems pretty okay. Not a classic by any means but definitely an improvement over the last 2 albums.

For me the stand out songs are "Getaway" , "My Father's Son", "Infallible", "Pendulum".
    The pretty good and ones that might grow on me songs are "Sirens", "Yellow Moon".
    I'm not a big fan of "Mind Your Manners", "Lightning Bolt", "Let The Records Play" or "Swallowed Whole" Just not my type of songs.
    "Future Days" is fairly weak imo.
    And then we have "Sleeping By Myself" which I think is awful. I actually like the version on "ukulele songs" but this version does nothing for me.
    Post edited by IrishGuy on
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Great lyrics and Ed's voice is insane. Especially like Getaway, Sirens, Pendulum, and Infallible.
    +yellow moon + shallowed whole and we are good to go!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Definitely the best since RA, possibly Binaural.

Pisses all over Backspacer and S/T from a great height in my opinion...
    In a former forum life I was Cropduster84
  • Options
    Given it one listen - on my IPOD, on a bus and walking!
    It's hard to judge so far, Pearl Jam albums take their time to sink in.
    First impressions are that is certainly more layered, and possibly deep than Backspacer,
    and better produced.

Mind Your Manners is the best fast, heavy song they've done since Evolution.
    My Father's Son feels interesting, and Getaway is a good opener. Lightning Bolt really
    sticks in my mind too. Great stuff.

I really liked the band version of Sleeping By Myself, and Sirens (though not sunk in totally yet) seems
    like a great ballad, and an ace McCready solo

Nothing else is memorable at the moment, but I will check back in after 10 or so listens.

For atmosphere, feels like a more melodic Binaural.
  • Options
    It's ok... but I worry that it'll fade away for me like ST and Backspacer both did. Nice albums to listen to for a while when they came out, but I have not listened to them for years now, and don't have the desire to. I think LB will go the same way from what I've taken in so far, which is a shame :( It's missing depth of any kind. I hope one day PJ can get the studio magic back, but for now I'm just back to hoping for more live shows, like always. Either that or EV to do a proper acoustic solo album, ITW is the only PJ-related release I listen to regularly since Binaural.
  • Options
    WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    the album is FANTASTIC. gets better every listen.

This right here, and I've listened to it a ton already.

Great job, PJ.
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    edited October 2013
    Still haven't listened yet, although I've heard most of the tracks between Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

I am out of my mind excited for Infallible. I know a lot of people have touched on the "Tremor Christ" riff already... but the chorus kept sticking in my head as being familiar.

Anyone else think it has a feel from the melody of the chorus in Soundgarden's 'Burden in My Hand'?
    Post edited by CranMalReign on
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,843
    Swallowed Whole, Yellow Moon, Pendulum and Sirens are amazing. However, Let the Records Play is terrible.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    JimNastics wrote:
    It's ok... but I worry that it'll fade away for me like ST and Backspacer both did. Nice albums to listen to for a while when they came out, but I have not listened to them for years now, and don't have the desire to. I think LB will go the same way from what I've taken in so far, which is a shame :( It's missing depth of any kind. I hope one day PJ can get the studio magic back, but for now I'm just back to hoping for more live shows, like always. Either that or EV to do a proper acoustic solo album, ITW is the only PJ-related release I listen to regularly since Binaural.

I still listen to Avocado loads. Always thought that album rocks. A PJ album that fades away is a concept I can't understand.
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    What the heck are ST and ITW?

As for Lightning Bolt, well... I am really conflicted right now. I like the album. But after a week of listening to it, I suddenly got really sick of it yesterday and switched to a different artist. That has like NEVER happened with a new Pearl Jam album. Ever. I feel like I get lost somewhere in the slow second half of the album. I also feel like Let The Records Play is like... Pearl Jam Country yeehaw music. NOT a fan right now.

I think I just need to give it all some space and come back to it later.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    On first listen...I like about half of the songs, but I think the other half are kind of meh. Sirens, Infallible and Pendulum are gold. I'll have to give it at least 3-4 more listens to see if the other songs grow on me. I will say I think it's better than Backspacer...
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    So far I really like Getaway, mind Your Manners, sirens, lightning Bolt, pendulum, swallowed whole, yellow moon and infallible.
    Let the records play is different(I like some aspects of this song)
    My Father's son and future days are my least favorites at the moment. I kinda like sleeping by myself. It's growing on me. I dig the Dead Kennedy guitar sound Mike was going for on MYM. I'd like more punk sounding songs. This one works better for me than say Comatose. Overall, I am a happy camper and look forward to spinning it and continuing my own journey in life with this band as my soundtrack.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 8/23/09 EV-6//11/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09

It's an inside job today
  • Options
    nutbarznutbarz Posts: 227
    strilo wrote:
    What the heck are ST and ITW?

ST - Self Titled - Aka the Avacodo Album
    ITW - Into the Wild - Ed's First Solo Album
  • Options
    johnmc1976johnmc1976 Florida Posts: 315
    love it. best since riot act
    00' Noblesville, IN 03' Lexington, KY, 13' Wrigley
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    I haven't posted here in years.....took me a while to remember my password today.

I am going to refrain from ranking this album for a while. I recall being very excited for S/T and Backspacer, so I will let this one sink in for me.

I will say it reminded me of Vitalogy quite a bit. Just the feel of the starting 2 songs....

Some more random thoughts:
    I was surprised how much I liked LB. When I heard the Wriggly version it was a "meh".
    INfallible is just fantastic. I hear a mix of Tremor Christ, 1/2 Full and Rival - and the chorus has an "incubus" element to it.
    I am struggling to get into My Fathers Son. That one will challenge me for sure.
    Pendulum is so good. That song will stand out for me for a long time.
    Sleeping by myself is a fun track and it is interesting to listen to. If I produced the album - I would have kept sleeping by myself on the album, but had it as a hidden track after future days - but I am not a producer
    I'm not sure I understand why people are crapping on Future Days. It's a beautiful song.
    Yellow Moon is a stand out - but I sort of wish it didn't start off so similar to lowlight.
    Swallowed Whle has not grabbed me yet - but I'll give it time.

All in all - I am really excited about this new music.......and it's nice to be posting here again.
  • Options
    I think it's really telling that a new Pearl Jam album came out on Tuesday and I am sitting here listening to the new Paul McCartney.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    Telling that your taste is questionable?
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    Love Getaway. I get the sane feeling Ed had in the car when it started up. Mind Your Manners is a good song, but not my favourite. My Father's Son is growing on me big time. Sirens is a beautiful song and I'm glad they wrote it despite some of the negativity for it. Lightning Bolt is actually one of my favourites from the album. Infallible is classic Pearl Jam. Pendulum is great and sits perfectly. Love Ed's voice on this one. Swallowed Whole really grew on me and I think it's a great track, especially now I can sing along. Let The Records Play made an immediate impression and I still dig it - might be one that fades. Sleeping By Myself is great and deserves it place. It fits well on the album in my opinion. Yellow Moon I great Moody Pearl Jam. Future Days is a great closer. It's different and I live its sentiment.

Overall love the album and to still be producing an album this good this late into a career is astounding. Happy for people to slam it, as long as they are happy for people like me to love it..
    BIG DAY OUT SYDNEY FAIRGROUNDS, SYDNEY, AU, Sun 26 January, 2014 BIG DAY OUT FLEMINGTON RACECOURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 24 January, 2014 Eddie Vedder Solo, Civic Theatre, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Wednesday 16th March Eddie Vedder Solo, STATE THEATRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Friday 18th March & Saturday 19th March ETIHAD STADIUM, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 20 November, 2009 NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Sun 19 November, 2006 ACER ARENA, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tues 7, Wed 8 & Sat 18 November, 2006 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tue 11, Thu 13 & Fri 14 February, 2003 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Mon 9, Wed 11 & Thu 12 March, 1998
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    The album's got me by the balls and I wish I had more of them to grab onto! (Mike McCready)
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    Mawky1103Mawky1103 Posts: 309
    I love pearl jam. The band has literally changed my life. After listening to Lightning Bolt, my first impression was that they need to work w a new producer. IMO there's only 5/6 songs I want to listen to in the car. Everything else was a skip. After reading a couple mediocre reviews, my instinct is to be like wtf! This review is dogshit, but then I realize they're kind of right. Half the record is very good, the rest is eh. Future Days falls short on so many levels. How do you listen to the piano at the end and not cringe? I need more spin the black circle/brain of j/tremor christ/severed hand. My fathers son and MYM gives me that angst, and genuine energy i'm looking for in a pearl jam song. I do dig the chorus/outro in sirens, and I think that's a track w depth to it musically and lyrically, as well as pendulum (awesome track, reminds me of WMA) Songs like sleeping by myself (which I enjoyed on uke songs) and future days seem so forced and just coated w fluffy production. Maybe a new producer will be good for the band, or at least good for fans who want less cheese/fluff. Either way, theyre still the best band in the planet and I can't wait for Hartford/Seattle, but they just need to part ways w BoB...IMO.

Tracks I dig..

Getaway
    Mind Your Manners
    My Father's Son
    Sirens
    Pendulum
    Let the Records Play

Solid, but songs that will collect dust in the collection

Lightning Bolt
    Infallable
    Swallowed Whole
    Yellow Moon

Ahh wtf...

SBM
    FD
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Mawky1103 wrote:

Ahh wtf...

SBM
    FD

You're 24 years old. These songs are too mature for you right now. Wait 10 or 15 years and you'll change your mind.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    I LOVE the album- Been listening to it non-stop, on repeat since its release
  • Options
    aurynsdad wrote:
    Telling that your taste is questionable?
    LOL no. I listened to Lightning Bolt for about a week and then got bored with it and moved on to other music. I've never had that happen with a new Pearl Jam album before. I dunno if it's a reflection of the album itself or if I am just not in a Pearl Jam "frame of mind" right now. Either way, it's weird and disconcerting. My friends keep asking what I think of the new album and I am like ".....ehhh. I dunno?"
  • Options
    Mawky1103Mawky1103 Posts: 309
    Mawky1103 wrote:

Ahh wtf...

SBM
    FD

You're 24 years old. These songs are too mature for you right now. Wait 10 or 15 years and you'll change your mind.

I hope, but if this is the case, it's unfortunate you have to be 40 years old to respect those tunes. The thing is I dig songs w similar gentle harmonies and delicate themes. Songs like come back, inside job, low light, around the bend, even last kiss. They stick. SBM and FD don't.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,461
    I never thought I would ever like being struck by lightening?
    When I hear Getaway I know that the world is going to be ok.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    my track by track

Getaway-Great song. The best opener since Sometimes on No Code. I love how the song goes from a kind of "jingle" to something intense and meaningful. the hand off from the vocals to the solo is perfect. you gotta play this one at full volume (even if it makes your ears hurt for the rest of the day).

Mind your Manners- Not my favorite song. a little too punk for my taste. I do like a lot PJ's punky stuff. This one just seems a little forced.

My Father's son-Cool song. Love the bridge. classic pearl jam

Sirens-I think most every things already been said about this one. A beautiful song. I don't care how 'Adult Contemporary" it sounds. I'm an adult and i like contemporary music. so fuck it. I don't know any band thats been able to write songs of this caliber after 20+ years

Lightning bolt-Classic Vedder style rocker. A fun song with some whimsical keyboards. The lyrics are a little cheesy, but perhaps intentionally so.

Infallible- Another cool song. Kind of reminds of Parachutes. And yes, the chorus sounds like the Christina Aguilera song.

Pendulum-like this one too. dark. thinking Of the Girl meets Strangest Tribe.

Swallowed Whole-This one's okay. Could have been on the Into the Wild soundtrack. Perhaps a tribute to REM?

Let the Records Play-Nice little blues rocker. I guess PJ finally gave in and decided it was time to acknowledge their blues heritage. Another fun song

Sleeping By Myself-I really like this one. i know it was kind of spoiled by the fact it was already release as EV solo song. But, i think the arrangement is great. Has a sort of haunting yet uplifting feel to it. Just goes to show you how much EV needs the rest of the band just as much as they need him.

Yellow Moon-Havent gotten super into this one although I can see that changing. I think I need to listen to it in the car while driving out in the mountains

Future Days-Another beautiful song. And again, I don't care how AC it sounds. PJ does a great job of making balanced albums with a little something for everyone. This one is no different. I hope they live forever!
  • Options
    SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    SM10080 wrote:
    I'll come out and say it. I was completely disappointed.

True
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    strilo wrote:
    I think it's really telling that a new Pearl Jam album came out on Tuesday and I am sitting here listening to the new Paul McCartney.

I'm listening to Nirvana
    ShawnZ