Options

My wife doesn't get my Pearl Jam obsession

Comments

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    she just calls me nuts... she likes alot of the new songs out. Pendulum, infallible, swallowed whole, FDs and yellow moon. She also loves them live- best concert she has ever been too...

a couple cheap shots at my sticker collection but when i put them all in the poster frame she was impressed and thought it was pretty cool.

As long as i support her camera addiction i should have no issues... 8-)

I will always get the "what did you order now?" question and that damn look :lol: , damn i hate that look... 8-)
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    I made my wife watch PJ20. Once it was over she looked at me as said..."ok, I get it now"

That was a pretty cool moment.
    here for the music...
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    jerseygenx wrote:
    At this point I don't even think mine tolerates it..... lol

But than again, this is the one thing that is MINE. As a working Mom, there's rarely anything that is just mine. So I'm ok with it, and I get to meet cool people too. Takes some getting use to, walking into concerts by myself but once they start playing I'm no longer alone.

I agree,I've been to a couple on my own, but it doesn't matter because the fans are so embracing. I love the PJ culture.
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    My wife and I are both 41 years old. She totally gets it and is even flying with me to Portland for a show the day after Thanksgiving. She has gone as far as to call PJ the "soundtrack of our lives together". Having said that she can't understand how I can listen to any album on a loop over and over again like I have been with this one since the stream came out (despite my rants that it's streaming the black circle).
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,839
    My wife understands my obsession, that's not to say she likes it. Those are 2 different things. She will definitely not be liking it this Thursday when she drops me at the airport for my transatlantic flight.
  • Options
    Im glad mine doesn't. This allows me to do road trips with my buddies. I am glad that she supports it though. I did pull one over on her though and planned our honey moon to be in Portugal three years ago when PJ was playin Optimus Alive. Surprised that didn't end the marriage right then and there.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    great topic. i relate with about 90% of the posts. At first, my wife thought the obsession was odd, then she grew to tolerate it. Then she was annoyed with it. Now she just makes fun of me. I'm ok with it since she's grown to like many pj tunes.
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,451
    Welcome to the club...
    :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    Parksy wrote:
    D-I-V-O-R-C-E ... is priceless to me....

D I V O R C E !

;)
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    belthookbelthook Bergen County, NJ Posts: 98
    The title of this thread should of been "My future ex-wife doesn't get my Pearl Jam obsession"
    • 2022: 02/06/22 NJ PAC (EV & Earthlings), 09/11/22 MSG, 09/14/22 Camden
    • 2021: 09/18/21 Asbury Park
    • 2018: 09/02/18 Fenway Park
    • 2016: 08/05/16 Fenway Park, 05/02/16 MSG, 05/01/16 MSG
    • 2013:10/18/13 Barclay's, 10/19/13 Barclay's
    • 2010: 05/21/10 MSG, 05/20/10 MSG
    • 2008: 08/07/08 NJ PAC (EV Solo), 6/25/08 MSG
    • 2006: 06/03/06 Continental Airlines Arena, 06/01/06 Continental Airlines Arena
    • 2003: 07/14/03 PNC, 07/09/03 MSG, 07/08/03 MSG
    • 1998: 09/08/98 Continental Airlines Arena
    • 1996: 10/02/96 Dodge Music Center

• Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    LloydXmas wrote:
    My wife only gets pissed when something new gets delivered

Same here. Oh, and when I tell her I'm going to 3 shows in October and November without telling her before I paid for the tickets. Once she realized she got to go to two of them, and see one of her best friends, it softened the blow.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    I'm taking my wife on her first road trip show to Buffalo. She is ridiculously excited right now. It's fun to watch. She's really come around in the last couple of years. PJ20 may have put it in perspective for her, not sure, but I like it! The energy level of each of us is just bouncing off each other and getting bigger......there might be an explosion!!! :lol:;) Man I am too excited!
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    my wife is very supportive about PJ, went together to PJ 20 and West Palm 08.

She cried during Low Light, first time listening.

Not a fan, but understand my loyalty when saw The fans are alright and saw the huge tshirt Peruvian fans made for PJ at the hotel.

She doesnt get why YLB ends every show

Bad moment: In a big fight she hide my PJ 20 Book. I find it three weeks later.
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    LloydXmas wrote:

Same here. Oh, and when I tell her I'm going to 3 shows in October and November without telling her before I paid for the tickets. Once she realized she got to go to two of them, and see one of her best friends, it softened the blow.
    :lol::lol::lol:

I bought tickets to worcester 1 and 2 and Hartford without her knowing until I updated our schedules about a month ago.

I asked her this weekend what she was thinking of getting me for my birthday.

Her Response: you're going to three fucking pearl jam shows next week. Happy Birthday.
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

I bought tickets to worcester 1 and 2 and Hartford without her knowing until I updated our schedules about a month ago.

Her Response: you're going to three fucking pearl jam shows next week. Happy Birthday.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    LloydXmas wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

Classic!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I don't know who you are doll, but this post gave me chills. I've been a fan since 10, have rocked out in basements, pubs, dish-water dives, weddings, concerts, and numerous times at functions wearing a 3-piece suit and tie to the opening riff of Blood, Leash, WW Suicide, Go, you name it. NOTHING beats your first time. No group of the last 25 years beats this band - none.

I'll be in Buffalo tomorrow, wearing some tribute shirt, a pair of good running shoes, and perhaps a helmet (if i channel London). I'll be thinking of you in Worcester as I walk through the doors...with goosebumps on my arms, a chill up my back, and butterflies in my stomach. the waiting...truly drives you mad
    KaiserPJ wrote:
    My husband doesn't get mine. He's always liked the band, I just started recently (12-12-12 to be exact) and I AM OBSESSED. I thought he would be happy I discovered Pearl Jam and a lot of other great bands from the 90s but NOPE said "I'm taking it too far". I calmly explained that it is rare to come across something so wonderful at our age that it makes you feel like you believe in Santa Claus again. Silly maybe, but that's the best way I can describe it. I get to see them for the first time in Worcester, Tuesday night and I am out of my mind with excitement. Life is awesome.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,899
    My girlfriend does not understand my obsession but agreed to travel to PJ20 with me, then MIA festival, and now she is doing a few shows this tour too. :D
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    I went thru this last night, when I got home from work last night everyone was just sitting down to dinner and I put Yellow Moon on quietly thinking maybe she'd dig it but nothing, then Future Days and still nothing. A little later I said look I know you don't care but it's important to me and you're kinda stuck with me so I want to talk about it and she wasn't interested. I wanted to tell her how I think this might be their best album, at least in a very long time, I don't think you can ever truly top Ten because it is such a classic but all the others are fair game I think. Anyway, apparently not even having Future Days on that repulsive piece of trash Grey's Anatomy could peak her interest, she didn't even notice. Oh bother... :roll:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    DH62179 wrote:
    I went thru this last night, when I got home from work last night everyone was just sitting down to dinner and I put Yellow Moon on quietly thinking maybe she'd dig it but nothing, then Future Days and still nothing. A little later I said look I know you don't care but it's important to me and you're kinda stuck with me so I want to talk about it and she wasn't interested. I wanted to tell her how I think this might be their best album, at least in a very long time, I don't think you can ever truly top Ten because it is such a classic but all the others are fair game I think. Anyway, apparently not even having Future Days on that repulsive piece of trash Grey's Anatomy could peak her interest, she didn't even notice. Oh bother... :roll:
    Grey's Anatomy is good!!

And you just explained why I could never be with someone who isn't a big fan. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    She didn't understand it back in 93 i believe by now she totally understands it plus she had no choice she either put up with it or hit the highway she choose to stay ....By the way the last thing i would wan't is to live with someone who is like me about the band i'm glad she doesn't give 2shits about it ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    I get the eye rolls :roll: "Another poster????"

But a poster obsession is better than a out at strip clubs every night obsession, I guess. Plus, we're going on 24 years of marriage while pretty much everyone else we know is divorced. So I must be doing something right. :lol::lol:
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • Options
    Lukinz wrote:
    I get the eye rolls :roll: "Another poster????"

But a poster obsession is better than a out at strip clubs every night obsession, I guess. Plus, we're going on 24 years of marriage while pretty much everyone else we know is divorced. So I must be doing something right. :lol::lol:

Congrats man! I always tell my wife that while some children's Dads have hunting weekends. There dad will have PJ weekends.
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    LloydXmas wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY hope you enjoy your concerts :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options

Congrats man! I always tell my wife that while some children's Dads have hunting weekends. There dad will have PJ weekends.

Thanks. Plus my son is very into PJ now too. Which is interesting cause I never told him "Listen to this". I wanted him to discover music on his own. He'll be at Bklyn2 on the floor with me. His first show was at MSG when Ace Frehley played. He's lucky cause he loves Ace as well.
  • Options
    I brought my wife to one show in Camden, NJ when we first starting dating. She was miserable, which in turn made me furious. Since then I have asked if she would like to go to a few shows.
    Camden again, no
    MSG I & II, no.
    EV at the Beacon, no.
    Brooklyn, no.

Her favorite "band".... wait for it... wait for it.....

NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yup, New Kids on the fucking Block.

Probably better off leaving her at home. Anyway, I will be in Brooklyn both nights by myself (single), hit me up.
  • Options
    editguy29 wrote:
    I brought my wife to one show in Camden, NJ when we first starting dating. She was miserable, which in turn made me furious. Since then I have asked if she would like to go to a few shows.
    Camden again, no
    MSG I & II, no.
    EV at the Beacon, no.
    Brooklyn, no.

Probably better off leaving her at home. Anyway, I will be in Brooklyn both nights by myself (single), hit me up.

My wife doesn't like PJ or live shows by anyone. But at least she doesn't like NKOTB. :lol::lol:

Look for me at the Brooklyn Wish List party on Saturday. I'll buy you a beer.
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    same boat
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,302
    My wife just texted me:

"Anyhow. LOL. Did you see the pearl jam poster for the show in Pittsburgh tonight? It's freaking great!!!"

My work here is done :)
  • Options
    GirlLovesPJGirlLovesPJ New Jersey Posts: 1,033
    editguy29 wrote:
    Camden again, no
    MSG I & II, no.
    EV at the Beacon, no.
    Brooklyn, no.

I feel your pain. My husband listens to techno. I dragged him to a PJ show one time and that was the end of it. :(
    2012: Philadelphia, Atlanta
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Worcester 1 & 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Oslo, Gdynia, Leeds, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2015: New York City, Mexico City
    2016: Miami, Columbia, New York City 2, Quebec City, Chicago 2
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2
    2022: New York City 2, Camden
    2023: St. Paul 1 & 2, Chicago 2, Austin 1 & 2