Options

Where's the love for Future Days?

Comments

• Options
    "Sleeping By Myself" and "Future Days" really harm the album's conclusion.

Agreed :(
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,473
    Love it.

Been listening non stop to LB today and it really stands out
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Adamcado wrote:
    The lyrics are beautiful.

It's the arrangement that's cheesy.
    Agreed on the arrangement. Not sure about the lyrics (because I really haven't paid attention to them).

I'm trying to put my finger on exactly what song I loathed when I was a teenager that this song reminds me of.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    "Sleeping By Myself" and "Future Days" really harm the album's conclusion. The keyboards are incredibly cheesy on FD. The song would be a million times better without them, I think. That said, it's still a fairly cheesy song. Not too huge on the lyrics. Decent melody. Probably my least favorite Pearl Jam album closer next to "Inside Job." SBM sounds like a Jason Mraz song. Loved the Ukulele Songs versions, but I just can't handle this full-band rendition. Would have worked as a holiday single or b-side, but certainly not on the album. Easily the weakest songs on the album. Those and "Sirens." (sorry, just not a fan of "Sirens.")

Future Days is the only ending of the story that possible. That's why Yellow Moon couldn't have closed it out. Check out the "concept album" thread.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    Adamcado wrote:
    The lyrics are beautiful.

It's the arrangement that's cheesy.
    Agreed on the arrangement. Not sure about the lyrics (because I really haven't paid attention to them).

I'm trying to put my finger on exactly what song I loathed when I was a teenager that this song reminds me of.

Any early 90's song with cheesy keyboard.

I really don't expect this low quality from Pearl Jam. I'm all for a change in style etc, but this arrnagement is poor.

Compare Future Days to Thumbing My Way, the latter has a much more subtle and moving instrumentation to it...
    In a former forum life I was Cropduster84
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    The album would be better without it.
  • Options
    Future Days is a good song, and that's all that matters to me. I wish there had been Internet message boards in the 60s: " 'Hey Jude' isn't a Beatles song. Paul should have saved it for his solo album."

My other point would be, people really need to stop equating "sentimental" with "cheesy." It's time to grow up and get a girlfriend, people.

It's possible to write sentimental songs without being cheesy. This, unfortunately, has more cheese than sentiment. In my opinion, the song is undeveloped and forced. Based on your assumption, only single people are calling this song cheesy, as they're unable to relate to a song of pure, unabashed love. That would be incorrect. I am happy to say I have a girlfriend.

"I believe and I believe ‘cause I can see
    Our future days, days of you and me"

:fp:

There is nothing particularly profound or original about those lyrics. "Just Breathe" is an introspective masterpiece compared to "Future Days."

In fact, when I was playing this song the other day, my lady came over and grabbed me to dance. Then she started laughing because it was cheesy. That piano. Gah. The only thing I like about this song is the sound of the acoustic. It's not overly compressed like it is on "Sirens" and "Yellow Moon." It's able to breathe.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    SBM sounds like a Jason Mraz song. Loved the Ukulele Songs versions, but I just can't handle this full-band rendition. Would have worked as a holiday single or b-side, but certainly not on the album. Easily the weakest songs on the album. Those and "Sirens." (sorry, just not a fan of "Sirens.")

I had the same reaction on SBM. I felt like I heard it somewhere (I know it was on Uke songs) in PJ's past and then got to thinking that it is the type of song we would have heard on a fan club since from the mid-90's and not really as an album song. I liked those fan club singles and like the song.
  • Options
    That piano. Gah.
    Exactly.

And yeah, my wife and I have been a couple since 1991 (we've been married for almost 15 years and have 3 kids) so I don't know what the hell that "grow up and get a girlfriend" comment has to do with anything.
  • Options
    Thin Air was romantic

Future Days is cheesy
    In a former forum life I was Cropduster84
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    JTH wrote:
    That piano. Gah.
    Exactly.

And yeah, my wife and I have been a couple since 1991 (we've been married for almost 15 years and have 3 kids) so I don't know what the hell that "grow up and get a girlfriend" comment has to do with anything.

Some people on here love everything PJ does and can't accept that other opinions exist. Especially with this record. It seems everyone is required to cry now to appreciate Pearl Jam. The board is turning into one big therapy session.

In my opinion if this lyric is not cheesy than I have no f'ing clue what is:

"If I ever had to lose you, I'd surely lose myself". That line is the absolute definition of cheese.
  • Options
    jeff2040jeff2040 Des Moines, IA Posts: 1,588
    Black10 wrote:
    Love the song! I'm trying to convince the fiancé to let it be our wedding song! :D

I'm thinking the same thing but my fiancé said I could pick out the song so I think its a done deal! :)
    Sometimes you find yourself
    Having to put all your faith
    In no faith
  • Options
    NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!

It just hit me. This is the song it reminds me of.

If you value your sanity, do not click this link.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    "Sleeping By Myself" and "Future Days" really harm the album's conclusion. The keyboards are incredibly cheesy on FD. The song would be a million times better without them, I think. That said, it's still a fairly cheesy song. Not too huge on the lyrics. Decent melody. Probably my least favorite Pearl Jam album closer next to "Inside Job." SBM sounds like a Jason Mraz song. Loved the Ukulele Songs versions, but I just can't handle this full-band rendition. Would have worked as a holiday single or b-side, but certainly not on the album. Easily the weakest songs on the album. Those and "Sirens." (sorry, just not a fan of "Sirens.")

Future Days is the only ending of the story that possible. That's why Yellow Moon couldn't have closed it out. Check out the "concept album" thread.

I don't have a problem with the story so much as the words and method used to tell the story. I'm a journalist for a living. You can have an awesome story, but writing it in a certain way can ruin its effectiveness. The concept album thing is a bit of stretch, though there several recurring themes (themes, I might add, that have been present in all of Pearl Jam's records: love, betrayal, the absurdity of organized religion, respect for the earth, loss).
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

I don't have a problem with the story so much as the words and method used to tell the story. I'm a journalist for a living. You can have an awesome story, but writing it in a certain way can ruin its effectiveness. The concept album thing is a bit of stretch, though there several recurring themes (themes, I might add, that have been present in all of Pearl Jam's records: love, betrayal, the absurdity of organized religion, respect for the earth, loss).

Ed's been recently quoted on the concept album thing. There's a huffpost interview floating around that talks about it.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    That said, yeah, its all just taste. Some like it, some don't. I have no problems with people not liking it for whatever reason. But its all a part of the story. You cant take it off the album, or move it in the tracklisting.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    That said, yeah, its all just taste. Some like it, some don't. I have no problems with people not liking it for whatever reason. But its all a part of the story. You cant take it off the album, or move it in the tracklisting.

You could make a better song with the same theme, though. Also, not really sure how "Sleeping By Myself" fits in the mix with the whole "story." If it does, is the story: My lady cheats on me, a moon rises!, holy shit we're happy again and will the spend the rest of our days with rainbows, kittens and hugs.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

You could make a better song with the same theme, though. Also, not really sure how "Sleeping By Myself" fits in the mix with the whole "story." If it does, is the story: My lady cheats on me, a moon rises!, holy shit we're happy again and will the spend the rest of our days with rainbows, kittens and hugs.

Yeah, SBM sounds a little strange on this album. I like the song, just a little off. That said...I want to see all the lyrics to the other songs still.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I really liked Future Days... I got bored reading at the second page: all this backlash to FD and SBM is nonsense...

why don't you all write a love song, with sentiment, cheese and gluten free, and we all see how good it is and how well it works? why don't you all send your CV as a lyric-writing consultant for Eddie Vedder? Yeah, sure you can teach Ed how to write a song...

As I am not a native speaker it's more fun to decipher the lyrics, and with each listen the words reveal themselves, so the song is getting better and better...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I really liked Future Days... I got bored reading at the second page: all this backlash to FD and SBM is nonsense...

why don't you all write a love song, with sentiment, cheese and gluten free, and we all see how good it is and how well it works? why don't you all send your CV as a lyric-writing consultant for Eddie Vedder? Yeah, sure you can teach Ed how to write a song...

As I am not a native speaker it's more fun to decipher the lyrics, and with each listen the words reveal themselves, so the song is getting better and better...

You don't have to know anything about songwriting to know when you hear cliche oft used lyrics.
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444

Do I have to be a musician, songwriter or lyricist to say my opinion about 2 songs of my favorite band? What's the point to have topics like these if we all agree that we like the songs? We are here to discuss about our favorite band and their music. And that's include my right to say I don't like FD and SBM.
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    Whether or not any of us is capable of writing/performing a quality love song is not the issue. We're not talking about what SOMEONE ELSE is capable of.

I'll tell you right now that this song is probably far better than anything I could write. But that doesn't make it a good song.

However, if you think it's a great song, that's wonderful. Enjoy it.
  • Options

Fans are allowed to critique things. That's the joy of music. We like things, we don't like things. I think it's fun to debate the merits of certain songs with equally passionate fans of the band. You stating that you like is just as valid we me stating my distaste for the song. Enjoy your day.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,278
    JTH wrote:
    NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!

It just hit me. This is the song it reminds me of.

If you value your sanity, do not click this link.

:? Your mind works in mysterious ways. :lol:

I'm not hearing this -- doesn't mean you aren't, of course.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

grilled%252520cheese.jpg
  • Options
    I really prefer SBM to the solo version, I don't know why, just has a pleasant sound to it. I dig Future Days also, but I could see how others might not like it, in a similar way to Just Breathe. For example, I'd rather hear SBM or Future Days at a show as opposed to Crop Duster or Green Disease, and I'm sure there are others who might agree and others who would completely disagree, and that's OK! For the band to put out some incredible and even polarizing music at this point really says something. To each their own :D
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    i can hear the springsteen influence in this song too.
    pearl jam have always written 'pretty' songs, especially as album closers, and this is another one. i'm finding people's preconceptions about what pearl jam 'should' sound like quite fascinating. it's like the haven't actually been listening for the last 20-odd years! this entire album sounds like pearl jam finally got over themselves and found their true voice again. it's not 1990 anymore, and that's a good thing. bless.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    oh, and, before i forget, eddies voice is amazing. i have been listening to those early pre-pearl jam tapes of his recently, i hear that same voice in this song. after all this time. chills.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    This is a great song, cant wait to hear it live...
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    yellow moon would've been a perfect closer for the album, it has a great vibe to it. but instead they need to add a cheeseball to top it all off.
    you can be romantic without being cheesy, and EV has done this in the past. this, along with just breathe, is just pure cheese. but I'm sure it can make a great career as a wedding song.
    and the piano intro just downright makes me ANGRY. as if it wasn't corny enough without those horrible keys added.