Options

(UPDATED) Trying to stay out of the Obamacare debate...

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    otter wrote:

"If you like your insurance plan; you can keep it" Obama

MANY people are figuring out that this was just another lie.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    Well, I've been able to log in for a few days now, which is a start. However after I spend 15 minutes completing the slow ass application, I go to review and sign and everything seems to be ok. Then when I go to my profile it says application is "incomplete". I look at my app and it doesn't list anyone as requesting insurance. :fp: I then have to go back through the entire app again. I've done this 5 times so far.

It appears that complete idiots have designed this site though. I build quite a few websites, and one of the first things you do when you design a site that you feel is going to be getting a lot of traffic is trim the fat. Your coding has to be lean and mean, and the absolute bare minimum. You can do this and still make it look nice and functional. However, if you take a look at the .JS coding for the reg process on the healthcare.gov site anyone with a shred of html experience will tell you this will never ever ever work on a site that is intended to get a lot of traffic. I don't care how many servers you have sharing the load...

https://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/global/en_US/registration.js
  • Options
    unsung wrote:
    otter wrote:

"If you like your insurance plan; you can keep it" Obama

MANY people are figuring out that this was just another lie.

Lies? What lies !?!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Whoops!

We need to repeal this disaster.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,733
    unsung wrote:
    Whoops!

We need to repeal this disaster.

How do you know it's a disaster already?
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    The exempt list.

Quantifies it as horrible.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:
    The exempt list.

Quantifies it as horrible.

I'm sorry, SERIOUSLY?

You can qualify for TAX EXEMPTIONS based on religion?politics? what?

"I'm sorry, IRS. I don't want to pay THIS tax, it's against my _____."
    ???
  • Options
    I have literally spent over 3 hours of my life this week trying to complete my application. Each time getting the same result where it doesn't save it completely to my account and it basically puts me back at step one. This is beyond frustrating. I don't have time to be sitting on the phone do get this completed, but that might be my only option.

Here's the problem I see coming down the pike. If I find that the plans here in the market place absolutely suck, which from what I've been reading, they do. Then I'll have to go and get a more expensive plan from my current provider, or a different company. In most brand new policies you have a 30 to 90 day waiting period for major medical coverage (unless you want to pay more), so I'm getting close to a time crunch here, where my current insurance is going to expire, and I HAVE to have a policy to take it's place without having a lapse.

Either way, with every passing minute I deal with this bullshit I get more and more pissed off. Can anyone give me a valid reason as to why I'm too fucking stupid to make my own financial decisions when it comes to my insurance?????? So I had the perfect insurance plan in place, it was exactly what we needed, and had worked perfectly for us. So that gets eliminated because of all this healthcare crap, and now I'm most likely going to end up paying more. I don't give ONE FLYING FUCK about having a lower deductible, and anyone who would pay double on their premiums just to save 3 or 4 thousand dollars on a deductible is just plain stupid financially speaking.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    Shawshank wrote:
    and anyone who would pay double on their premiums just to save 3 or 4 thousand dollars on a deductible is just plain stupid financially speaking.

And it's amazing how many people just want the lowest payments possible on anything and do not care what it will cost them.

It's simple people. You WILL save money on the higher deductible plans. All you have to do is take the extra money you're not paying on the premiums and put it into a medical fund to pay the deductible. Sadly, people just don't have the will power to do it.

I think I'm going to end every post that I write about health insurance with a reminder that health insurance DOES NOT EQUAL health care. Too many people believe that it does.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Anyone been able to log in and apply to the point where you can actually see the rates??
  • Options
    Shawshank wrote:
    Anyone been able to log in and apply to the point where you can actually see the rates??

I tuned out to this a while back; got sick of trying to keep up but now that we have a timeframe I've accepted the fact that I need to tune back in so I figured I'd check in here to see what homework anyone has offered. I'm following your saga. Thanks for taking the time to give us a play by play.
  • Options
    Just some thoughts....

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

It can be argued that the US provides the best healthcare in the world, but it also seems that it has the worst healthcare delivery system in the developed world. The ACA is an attempt to ameliorate the latter aspect, and it is way too early to tell if it will be effective, or if the cost will be bearable for Joe & Jane SixPack.

Most politicians from both the GOP and Dems are vile liars.

People can laud various new mandatory coverages, such as birth control, but don't be stunned that policies cost more. People can laud many mandatory coverages that don't have co-pays, but don't be stunned that policies cost more. People can laud low caps on deductibles, but don't be stunned that policies cost more. It's basic economics.

Any other aspects aside, the GOP were idiots for forcing the shutdown, as it kept the epic fail of the first days of the ACA from being the only story on which people were focused.

Pearl Jam should play 'Out of My Mind' more often.
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    A $394M government funded website is failing. Shocking ...

edit:

I didn't include a prior $93M contract that will bring the cost to almost $500M. And the government has requested $2,000,000,000 to build and operate "federally facilitated exchanges” (FFEs) – the complex system that includes Healthcare.gov as well as certain state-based exchanges – the data hub, and other expenditures related to the Obamacare exchange system.
    Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/ob ... z2iS4iQ2za

For comparison, Facebook operated for six years before surpassing the $500M mark.

LinkedIn needed to raise $200M to be built

Spotify needed $217M to be built

Twitter needed $360M to be built
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    A $394M government funded website is failing. Shocking ...

edit:

I didn't include a prior $93M contract that will bring the cost to almost $500M. And the government has requested $2,000,000,000 to build and operate "federally facilitated exchanges” (FFEs) – the complex system that includes Healthcare.gov as well as certain state-based exchanges – the data hub, and other expenditures related to the Obamacare exchange system.
    Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/ob ... z2iS4iQ2za

For comparison, Facebook operated for six years before surpassing the $500M mark.

LinkedIn needed to raise $200M to be built

Spotify needed $217M to be built

Twitter needed $360M to be built

Those companies probably didn't contract out for another company to do the work.
  • Options
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Those companies probably didn't contract out for another company to do the work.
    Those companies are responsible for their finished product.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Those companies are responsible for their finished product.
    I can't even get to SEE the finished product in this case.

To Shawshank and the rest of us in similar boats, hope we can all hang in there.
  • Options
    I've previewed the rates (a new feature of the site) and it appears my premiums are going to be around $650. This is $250 more per month than I was paying on my old plan. My max out of pocket will be around $5,000.

In my opinion, this FUCKING SUCKS! My current insurance has a decent premium and I had a max out of pocket of $7,500. We hardly EVER go to the doctor for anything. So let's recap where we are at this point:

Current insurance got cancelled: $400/mo or $4,800 per year with a $7,500 deductible/max out of pocket.
    New policy: $650/mo or $7,800 per year with a $5,000 max out of pocket.

So I'm going to be spending $3,000 more per year to save $2,500 on my max out of pocket? Does that sound as stupid to anyone else as it does to me??? I'm now going to be paying an insurance company $3,000 more per year, and I mostly likely won't even use it. Makes perfect sense. :crazy:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you spend more money on insurance to lower your deductible, you my friend, are a moron.

097.gif097.gif097.gif097.gif OBAMACARE / REPUBLICANS / DEMS 097.gif097.gif097.gif097.gif

Looks like the same shit is hitting the fan in Florida as well.

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2013/October/21/cancellation-notices-health-insurance.aspx
  • Options
    jethrojam420jethrojam420 Foxborough MA Posts: 1,075
    Shawshank wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you spend more money on insurance to lower your deductible, you my friend, are a moron.

I get the insurance through my work. the only other viable option would be the insurance through my wife's work. I spend more money to lower my deductible and my out of pkt max. For one, it is a tax write off. for another, I always hit the max by February because my wife has a chronic illness that is expensive to keep tabs on. I am sure that in perfect health it would not make sense, but I just wanted to point out that there are points to a lowered deductible.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Options
    I get the insurance through my work. the only other viable option would be the insurance through my wife's work. I spend more money to lower my deductible and my out of pkt max. For one, it is a tax write off. for another, I always hit the max by February because my wife has a chronic illness that is expensive to keep tabs on. I am sure that in perfect health it would not make sense, but I just wanted to point out that there are points to a lowered deductible.

For sure that's a different scenario with chronic illnesses, and would be completely understandable. Hope all is well with your wife.
  • Options
    Shawshank wrote:
    I

So I'm going to be spending $3,000 more per year to save $2,500 on my max out of pocket? Does that sound as stupid to anyone else as it does to me??? I'm now going to be paying an insurance company $3,000 more per year, and I mostly likely won't even use it. Makes perfect sense. :crazy:

Do you know if you qualify for any of the tax credits?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Though you will not be using the insurance...just know someone else is using it.

And this is why you should find comfort.

Tax credits....? Go for the exempt list.
    Post edited by ajedigecko on
  • Options
    jethrojam420jethrojam420 Foxborough MA Posts: 1,075
    Shawshank wrote:

For sure that's a different scenario with chronic illnesses, and would be completely understandable. Hope all is well with your wife.
    Thanks. Hoping for a cure someday for MS. She is ok, or as good as she can be :)
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Options
    "I will sign a universal health care bill into law by the end of my first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family's premium by up to 2500 a year." - obama

"The only thing worse than a liar is a liar that's also a hypocrite." - Tennessee Williams
  • Options
    Shawshank: So far, I haven't been affected by Obamacare directly as it relates to my current coverage, so I'm doing my best to reserve judgement, overall, but it does seem like you and many are screwed. As with all too many things in America these days, it seems like the responsible folks (people who analyze policies and buy the product best suited for them) are paying the price for the irresponsible (people who would rather spend their $ on fun instead of covering basic responsibilities, and wind up using the E.R. and leaving the rest of us their bills.) If you know anyone who spends a few grand a year on things like hobbies, travel, etc. and has a car that cost more than $15,000, but they were uninsured... well, you might want to think twice about inviting them over to your next party.

All of that said, this is only a piece of the problem, and there has been a real need for decades to address the lack of Universal Coverage in the USA. The gov't and insurance companies are dropping the ball and rigging the game woefully, but We The People also bear a lot of blame for allowing their behavior and not correcting ours. It's sad.

In closing, even though I think the jury is still out on Obamacare, I completely concur with the rest of your sentiment:
    Shawshank wrote:
    097.gif097.gif097.gif097.gif REPUBLICANS / DEMS 097.gif097.gif097.gif097.gif
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,639
    This law is a train wreck. It is truly sad and scary to see the layoffs caused by this law. Sure we needed reform, but this law is brutal. How can you Obama supporters still like him? The law was rushed through and years later there are parts no one understands yet. Terrible, terrible leadership.
  • Options
    Everything the government has its hand in cost 10x as much as it should and doesn't work efficiently. We hear stories of it every day, but we just roll our eyes because it doesn't directly impact us. This will directly impact us.

We were not told the details of this plan until the day it was to late to turn back even though it was 5 years in the making. I don't see how a plan that relies on 28 year olds to back it will succeed. Any 28 year old that is responsible enough to own insurance most likely works for a firm that already provides it. Do you think that a 28 year old roofer living paycheck to paycheck is going to buy a $2500 insurance policy?

Dems are whispering in the background about delaying the deadline mandate for getting coverage. What good does that do for the hundreds of thousands that have had their coverage dropped ... coverage that Obama said they could keep?

They did a beta test on the website 2 days before it was rolled out where 200 users logged in and it crashed ... yet they rolled out the plan anyway.

:fp:
  • Options
    I am going to file for a religious exemption.
    I am also going to see, since AHA was passed as a TAX,
    if it is possible now that I can file a religious exemption to my income tax as well.

hmm.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    I am going to file for a religious exemption.
    I am also going to see, since AHA was passed as a TAX,
    if it is possible now that I can file a religious exemption to my income tax as well.

hmm.

uh....no, you can't
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Everything the government has its hand in cost 10x as much as it should and doesn't work efficiently. We hear stories of it every day, but we just roll our eyes because it doesn't directly impact us. This will directly impact us.

If that's the case, how do countries with single payer systems provide better healthcare and keep costs significantly lower than the U.S.?
  • Options
    President Obama likened HealthCare.gov to Kayak.com on the day the ObamaCare website went live, but the travel company wouldn't stay in business very long if it gave "incredibly misleading" price quotes, as Wednesday's CBS This Morning revealed about the federal health care website. Jan Crawford underlined how "in some cases, people could end up paying nearly double what they see on the website." Crawford zeroed in on how the "shop and browse" feature on HealthCare.gov drastically underestimated the price of a plan for older citizens, in particular, and cited unnamed health care industry executives' appalled reaction to this latest problem.