"Sirens" Next Single +Vignette

Comments

• LOL @ people taking shots at Pearl Jam for Sirens. It's like your ears weren't open when they released Betterman or Daughter.

It's a power ballad and a really good one. Awesome track, and a nice surprise because I didn't see it coming.
    2006 PJ/Petty Milwaukee Night 1
    2007 Lollapalooza Chicago
    2013 Wrigley Chicago
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    I like it better than mind your manners. that said, the production is a lil too glossy. If it was any other band it would seem to be trying a bit too hard. PJ's inherent credibility carries them here.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Some people's negative comments are hilarious, if you don't like the song that's fine, but if you read ANY of the reviews from people/critics that have gotten special early listens to the album this song is clearly DOES NOT represent the rest of the album in any way shape or form. I've yet to see it be compared even in the slightest way to any of the other songs on the album, yet people are already disappointed in the album, I guess I shouldn't expect any less from some of you at this point though :roll:
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    joebot wrote:
    I like it better than mind your manners. that said, the production is a lil too glossy. If it was any other band it would seem to be trying a bit too hard. PJ's inherent credibility carries them here.
    This.
    Way over produced.

I think it's a damn good song, just too "clean" and "polished" for a PJ song,

I think it's gonna be awesome live!!!
  • JT214511JT214511 Los Angeles Posts: 36
    RiotZact wrote:
    Some people's negative comments are hilarious, if you don't like the song that's fine, but if you read ANY of the reviews from people/critics that have gotten special early listens to the album this song is clearly DOES NOT represent the rest of the album in any way shape or form. I've yet to see it be compared even in the slightest way to any of the other songs on the album, yet people are already disappointed in the album, I guess I shouldn't expect any less from some of you at this point though :roll:

I agree with you about things getting blown out of proportion. While I have expressed some disappointment with certain aspects of Sirens, I am not trying to be completely down on it and I am certainly still excited for the album as a whole, especially considering the fact that everything else I've heard I've really liked a lot. I tend to like PJ's experimental side and I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what Pendulum and Infallible will sound like, particularly because I have almost no clue as to what to expect.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    JT214511 wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

I agree with you about things getting blown out of proportion. While I have expressed some disappointment with certain aspects of Sirens, I am not trying to be completely down on it and I am certainly still excited for the album as a whole, especially considering the fact that everything else I've heard I've really liked a lot. I tend to like PJ's experimental side and I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what Pendulum and Infallible will sound like, particularly because I have almost no clue as to what to expect.

I know right?! Every time we get a review of Infallible it just begs more and more questions than answers :lol: I just hope it doesn't cause the song to get over hyped. I for one am INSANELY stoked for Infallible, Pendulum, Yellow Moon and probably most of all Getaway. I'm also VERY excited for the rest but those are the 4 that stick out the most based on the reviews and whatnot.
  • JT214511JT214511 Los Angeles Posts: 36
    RiotZact wrote:
    JT214511 wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

I know right?! Every time we get a review of Infallible it just begs more and more questions than answers :lol: I just hope it doesn't cause the song to get over hyped. I for one am INSANELY stoked for Infallible, Pendulum, Yellow Moon and probably most of all Getaway. I'm also VERY excited for the rest but those are the 4 that stick out the most based on the reviews and whatnot.

Haha, exactly! I have a feeling it hasn't/won't get overhyped though. Most of the reviews of that song just state that it's experimental and has a heavy bass component. That's enough to get me excited, but still vague enough to prevent me from forming specific expectations as to what the song will sound like melodically/rhythmically. What seems to lead to trouble is comparing new songs to popular older songs. I'm super stoked for Pendulum, Yellow Moon and Getaway too. Those sound really interesting. I'm also looking forward to hearing the band's version of Sleeping By Myself. I dig that song on the Uke album and think it could turn out really cool. Hell, I just can't wait to hear the whole thing.
  • I don't know why I should feel surprised a selection of people have taken issue with this song. After all, we're all individuals and because pearl jam has so many facets to their music, it would stand that some fans are going to be more partial to certain aspects over others.

Although, I find it a bit strange when others latch on to a word or phrase originally written by some music critic. Seems that 'cheese' mantra has really taken hold. Kind of like when people here started declaring Ed as sounding 'tired' on Riot Act after a Rolling Stone reviewer first stated it. Whatevs.

Personally, I really enjoy Sirens. It only took two listens for it to click. Now I can't get enough of it. The song owes itself to this distinctive quality that always seemed a part of their collective identity since the beginning. It just lifts you up. And it is bold in that they tapped a direct line into that momentous spirit, without the need to circumvent it in any way. And they can manifest it better than any other artist I know of. It's a challenge because Sirens needs to stand beside so many others, like LBC, or Release, even Puzzles and Games is emblematic of that. And I feel it succeeds in every way. But what do I know.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    I don't know why I should feel surprised a selection of people have taken issue with this song. After all, we're all individuals and because pearl jam has so many facets to their music, it would stand that some fans are going to be more partial to certain aspects over others.

Although, I find it a bit strange when others latch on to a word or phrase originally written by some music critic. Seems that 'cheese' mantra has really taken hold. Kind of like when people here started declaring Ed as sounding 'tired' on Riot Act after a Rolling Stone reviewer first stated it. Whatevs.

Personally, I really enjoy Sirens. It only took two listens for it to click. Now I can't get enough of it. The song owes itself to this distinctive quality that always seemed a part of their collective identity since the beginning. It just lifts you up. And it is bold in that they tapped a direct line into that momentous spirit, without the need to circumvent it in any way. And they can manifest it better than any other artist I know of. It's a challenge because Sirens needs to stand beside so many others, like LBC, or Release, even Puzzles and Games is emblematic of that. And I feel it succeeds in every way. But what do I know.

nicely put
  • I don't know why I should feel surprised a selection of people have taken issue with this song. After all, we're all individuals and because pearl jam has so many facets to their music, it would stand that some fans are going to be more partial to certain aspects over others.

Beautifully written, and truthful.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV

:clap::clap::clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Thanks for the kind words. It reads a bit clunky in some places but I'm glad I got my point across. Especially since it made me late for work :cry:
    I rather easily get sucked into these things. But then again, don't we all.
  • UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I heard Sirens this morning and I for one am loving this song, sure it's not perfect, but what is. I hear some people say it's not like Pearl Jam, but then I read other posts where people say they don't feel the band has mixed it up enough of late. To each their own I guess, but I'm just enjoying another great PJ song and can't wait for the new album.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    It is good for people to have opinions. No one is going to like every song. What is comical is the way some people can not express those opinions, good or bad, in an intelligent way. Criticism, whether good or bad, if helpful for any artist. But there is also a right way and a wrong way to do it. It is also tiring that some people have to go into every thread and post how much they hate the song, or another song on this album.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Got a few listens or Sirens in this morning as well.

I love it. This song has such a vulnerable quality to it, and I give the band tons of credit for that. Can't wait to hear this one live.

"Leave it to me as I find a way to be.
    Consider me a satellite forever orbiting.
    I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me.
    Guaranteed."
  • Too me it sounds like something off of The Wall or Division Bell, including the production... Mike needs to extend the solo on the live versions and he can be David Gilmour.

I love it. I can't wait to listen again.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • bchagnon wrote:
    Got a few listens or Sirens in this morning as well.

I love it. This song has such a vulnerable quality to it, and I give the band tons of credit for that. Can't wait to hear this one live.

Indeed. Had a listen or 10 last night and whoa, it's a real gem. We are in for a completely different journey with this album, and I can't wait to hear it in its entirety.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Still dont care for it.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    when God,will take the solo at live show and keep playing...

alot of mouths will stay open for hours..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    release it already ...cmon
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Still dont care for it.
    As is your right...

Quite a few PJ songs I don't care for.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Nami wrote:
    release it already ...cmon
    best post of 2013
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • After the first few listens to this I wasn't too fussed...Didn't love it, didn't hate it...

(I definitely didn't think it was the massive cheese fest that so many have been claiming it is)

...But now I absolutely Love it, It might be my 2nd fav out of what I've heard so far...with Let the Records Play being the 1st!
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Discussing something the band hasn't released yet is not ok...please wait until it's released. Thanks.
    Falling down,...not staying down
    The waiting drove me mad... you're finally here and I'm a mess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxCLhadWRbw
  • Today is the day, y'all!! So excited!
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• cmm6734cmm6734 Houston, TX Posts: 569
    I am still wondering if the pre-order people will get a download of Sirens today?
    40+ shows, it is never enough!
  • cmm6734 wrote:
    I am still wondering if the pre-order people will get a download of Sirens today?

Oh Gods I hope so!!!
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• ratonesratones Posts: 161
    cmm6734 wrote:

Oh Gods I hope so!!!

+1
  • cmm6734 wrote:

Do you think you would have to pre-order the CD or vinyl or both to get the download of Sirens today?
    "A beacon on dry land"