"Sirens" Next Single +Vignette

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,392

Without stating the obvious: Jeff on an airport, Mike near trains... What does it signify???

It signifies that the did these vignettes with little budget and were bored. ;)

The airport and train tracks are next to the 10C warehouse.

It sounds like a book for kids: Planes, trains, and automobiles. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    November Rain meets the Aerosmith tune from Armageddon.
  • justam wrote:

Without stating the obvious: Jeff on an airport, Mike near trains... What does it signify???

It signifies that the did these vignettes with little budget and were bored. ;)

The airport and train tracks are next to the 10C warehouse.

It sounds like a book for kids: Planes, trains, and automobiles. :)

I honestly think it does signify something more though. (And no, I am not smoking anything.) In each vignette both Jeff and Mike are at some point overshadowed by the sound of a train and plane. Jeff even stops and looks up. It could say something about the lyrics of Sirens or the idea behind the album, which is probably summarized by the lyrics in LB: to be overthrown or struck by something, much more powerful than yourself.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Ouch:
    http://drownedinsound.com/news/4146871- ... olt?ticker

Sirens: Right, we’ve reached cheesy ballad territory now. Any remaining hope that the album signals a return to a consistently harder rocking Pearl Jam sound is dwindling. The band think highly of this one apparently, but it’s bit too fluffy and middle-aged sounding for these ears.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,781
    Ouch:

Sirens: Right, we’ve reached cheesy ballad territory now. Any remaining hope that the album signals a return to a consistently harder rocking Pearl Jam sound is dwindling. The band think highly of this one apparently, but it’s bit too fluffy and middle-aged sounding for these ears.

They were angry in the early 90s, and they are happy now. Everyone who does not realize that their hardest sounding music days are behind them is delirious. Enjoy Mind Your Manners and get over it Drowned In Sound.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Ouch:

They were angry in the early 90s, and they are happy now. Everyone who does not realize that their hardest sounding music days are behind them is delirious. Enjoy Mind Your Manners and get over it Drowned In Sound.

I hear ya but happy can still be rocking. Happy is one thing, cheese is another.
    Yeah, this tune is a bit of a letdown... power-ballady version of Just Breathe but better. Some country in there too. It's a decent song.
    EarlWelsh wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Ouch:

I hear ya but happy can still be rocking. Happy is one thing, cheese is another.

For me it does not reach the point of cheese. Or corn. :lol:

I guess we all be thinking with our different brains :wink:
    severed hand thirteen

• No cheese or country coming out of my speakers. It's a ballad with a killer sound.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • nalyd61nalyd61 Boston Posts: 702
    ugh- was hoping for more from this tune. Ed sounds good but another slow ballad. Will probably open up live-
    Matchbox 20 anyone :)
    nalyd61 wrote:
    ugh- was hoping for more from this tune. Ed sounds good but another slow ballad. Will probably open up live-
    Matchbox 20 anyone :)
    Yeah, I dislike it the more I try to listen to it.
  • I hope they get Tawney Kitaen for the video .
  • carlosjam88carlosjam88 Posts: 9
    edited September 2013
    Nothing to see here... move along...
    Post edited by carlosjam88 on
    Please remove that link or this thread goes poop.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Enjoy:

By posting a leaked song, all you will do is get this thread locked or erased
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • I haven't heard the song, but I'm sure looking forward to that one! Actually, if I had to pick one song, that's the one I am most looking forward to hearing, and I don't even know why! :lol:
    "A beacon on dry land"
    I haven't heard the song, but I'm sure looking forward to that one! Actually, if I had to pick one song, that's the one I am most looking forward to hearing, and I don't even know why! :lol:
    Some advice, lower your expectations.
  • Enjoy:

By posting a leaked song, all you will do is get this thread locked or erased

:corn:
    Some people's review of this song makes me once again realize that expectations have been set way too high. Music is meant to be enjoyed- not nitpick every little thing that is not perfect in your eyes. If you love the older angrier stuff, listen to one of the thousand bootlegs that are available.
    severed hand thirteen

This album is gonna take us a for a ride like avocado and backspacer didn't.
    Agree. Depending how Infalible, Pendulum and YM turn out, and if they are solid, this album has a chance to be better than Avocado (and already better than BS)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    edited September 2013
    and already better than BS)

even deaf people know this already!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Some people's review of this song makes me once again realize that expectations have been set way too high. Music is meant to be enjoyed- not nitpick every little thing that is not perfect in your eyes. If you love the older angrier stuff, listen to one of the thousand bootlegs that are available.
    I like all types of music...I dont like this song. Even if the hype about what it sounds like were indeed correct, it still wouldnt make it a great song. It's not even the best song on this record.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion- I am specifically referring to some over the top reviews that put it down because of the band's decision to no longer be so angry :lol:
    severed hand thirteen

• SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,912
    Reminder: Leaked songs are stolen songs and not ok to discuss here. Please see the Posting Guidelines about copyrights and thank you for respecting that.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91525
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    In Greek mythology, the Sirens (Greek singular: Σειρήν Seirēn; Greek plural: Σειρῆνες Seirēnes) were dangerous and beautiful creatures, portrayed as femme fatales who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island. Roman poets placed them on some small islands called Sirenum scopuli. In some later, rationalized traditions, the literal geography of the "flowery" island of Anthemoessa, or Anthemusa, All such locations were surrounded by cliffs and rocks.

Although they lured mariners, for the Greeks the Sirens in their "meadow starred with flowers" were not sea deities. Roman writers linked the Sirens more closely to the sea, as daughters of Phorcys.[Sirens are found in many Greek stories, particularly in Homer's Odyssey.
    Their number is variously reported as between two and five. In the Odyssey, Homer says nothing of their origin or names, but gives the number of the Sirens as two.

Greeks knew Females are the reason for write beautiful songs many years ago!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Great take.

I've been known to refer to Backspacer as "adult contempo" (Seinfeld. Anyone? Anyone?) from time to time, and while I really, really like "Mind Your Manners," I don't expect them to repeat that sound much anymore.

As I've also said in many of the same conversations, the band has a right to get older, expand their musical horizons, and write whatever the hell they want.

If you're a writer of any type, you'll realize how difficult it is to write about things you no longer feel personally. Shocked that successful rock musicians have a harder time finding that edge? I'm not.

If their new music disappoints you, find solace in the continued live experience. Think of the Stones. After 50 years, no one sees the Stones for their new music. Hell, after 20 years, no one really cared about their new music. But you'd be a fool to have passed up one of their shows in the last 30 years.

I'm not saying their new music is bad or will be bad. I am saying that it's unfair and unrealistic to expect that they won't grow or change their sound, and also that whatever you think of their new music, you can still see them live. Be thankful for that.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • In Greek mythology, the Sirens (Greek singular: Σειρήν Seirēn; Greek plural: Σειρῆνες Seirēnes) were dangerous and beautiful creatures, portrayed as femme fatales who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island. Roman poets placed them on some small islands called Sirenum scopuli. In some later, rationalized traditions, the literal geography of the "flowery" island of Anthemoessa, or Anthemusa, All such locations were surrounded by cliffs and rocks.

Although they lured mariners, for the Greeks the Sirens in their "meadow starred with flowers" were not sea deities. Roman writers linked the Sirens more closely to the sea, as daughters of Phorcys.[Sirens are found in many Greek stories, particularly in Homer's Odyssey.
    Their number is variously reported as between two and five. In the Odyssey, Homer says nothing of their origin or names, but gives the number of the Sirens as two.

Greeks knew Females are the reason for write beautiful songs many years ago!!!!

Or that Females are the reason than man dive in the ocean - on or the other ;) .
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    edited September 2013
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Ouch:

I guess that the key phrase is: *to these ears*, which says more about the reviewer than the song, I think.

The irony is, that PJ cannot win. If they are in the angry mode, than they are "faking" it for this can no longer be sincere when your 40+. If they make a slow ballade, which they made for ages, than they are "middle aged". Well, I rather have""middle aged men" than "hard rockers" who are injecting heroin through their eyeballs and lean on the microphone stand just to be in an erect position.

Also interesting in the same review (emphasis is mine):

‘Infallible’
    Ooh, more synths. This reminds me of some of the more interesting moments on Binaural. Probably the most exciting moment on the record upon first listen, but, as ever, it’s tricky to be too positive on the back of just one listen. Definitely one to look out for at any rate.

So, its tricky to be positive on just one listen, but not negative. Once again, says more about the reviewer.

And no, I havent heard the song or any of the songs. I am just reacting to the no-content reviewers these days. Reviewing is more than an opinion; it is analyzing a song.

To counter balance: there is a positive review on ClashMusic.com, which my browser don't want to open. (See also TSIS.)
    Post edited by fortyshades on
  • HoosiersHoosiers Indiana Posts: 189
    I am so lucky - I work at a very big media corporation with 6 radio stations in my building. One of our stations has this song already and the PD let me listen (wouldn't let me take it!). But I listened to it three times in a row.

I think it's definitely radio friendly and my first thought was KISS meets Pink Floyd. But now I am thinking more G N R ballad meets Pink Floyd's Learning to Fly.

I like it and my PD thinks it will be a hit (though 5:30 may be too long). Matt is awesome on this song and Eddie's lyrics are on another level. My first thought was "the end should go on another minute, it ended too soon."

Can't wait til Thursday to get it!
    i think it will def be a great "live" song..i hope..who knows, maybe it will grow on everyone.
  • xsmytx wrote:
    i think it will def be a great "live" song..i hope..who knows, maybe it will grow on everyone.

Slow burners are often the best; for it takes time to understand the structures and the intent of the song...