Options

new Brendan O Brien interview

2»

Comments

• Options
    I didn't get any ego from BoB from that interview. Some people read what they want to read.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508

At the end of the day its the band's choice.

i would hope so.

my 2 cents: EV solo song shouldn't be on a PJ album. but whatever. hope it doesn't create ego fights within the band.
    thou.... hey, the boys have made this far! :)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    Its great to be back on here talking about stuff from an upcoming album! :)

My $0.02 on this issue... I gotta reserve judgement until I hear the album. I hope it's amazing!

To be honest though.. if it's not.. I'll be a bit disappointed because I know the amount of talent in that studio.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,446

At the end of the day its the band's choice.

i would hope so.

my 2 cents: EV solo song shouldn't be on a PJ album. but whatever. hope it doesn't create ego fights within the band.
    thou.... hey, the boys have made this far! :)

If Bugs or Stupid Mop can make it on an album then SBM can be on an album. It's their band and their album so let them put out what they want. :)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    I didn't get any ego from BoB from that interview. Some people read what they want to read.
    100% agree...
    Let's see - what do all of the following have in common:
    Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mick Jagger, STP, Aerosmith, Rage Against the Machine, Westerberg, BRUCE, Soundgarden, Neil Young, Korn, Incubus, Killers, Gaslight Anthem and countless others?
    They all lined up to work with Brendan O'Brien...the guy knows his shit, whether its mixing, engineering, producing or flat out picking up an instrument and jamming.
    Talent.
    The fact he got Vs to be the masterpiece it still stands up to be (and my fave PJ album ever) - in that time with the bands dynamic and popularity (and uncertainty) - wow...and it speaks volumes...
    I for one can't wait for LB. Really looking forward to Sleeping By Myself full band as well...was hoping that My Father's Son was the Fistful of Mercy cover :D
    Lets hear the album a few times, then banter about how cocky and lousy BOB is :lol:
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    I did not buy the EV Uke album, so I don't even know that song.

But hey, maybe it fits into the album song progression nicely. After all, artists order their songs on the album in the way they want it listened to (I know times have changed but artists did this for a reason). Who knows. I just don't get all the negativity before even giving it a chance.

The negativity is just so toxic on here.
  • Options
    MK13579MK13579 Posts: 217
    Ditto.. I've never heard the song before and I'm excited about it.
  • Options
    A message board taking a quote out of context and using it to crucify a guy? That's unpossible.

(Seriously, some times this place is ridiculous to the point of parody. Hail hail the rational ones. You know who you are)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,075
    A message board taking a quote out of context and using it to crucify a guy? That's unpossible.

(Seriously, some times this place is ridiculous to the point of parody. Hail hail the rational ones. You know who you are)
    :clap: No shit man! Someone actually said they want BoB "off this earth???" Over a couple out of context quotes and one record (Backspacer) they don't enjoy as much? This guy has been instrumental in PJ's career and produced some of my favorite records ever. Like "slightofjeff" said lets try to be a little more rational around here. Oh yeah, and Lightning Bolt isn't even fucking out yet and people are calling for this guy to never be used again?!?!?! :roll:
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Abe Froman wrote:

:clap: No shit man! Someone actually said they want BoB "off this earth???" Over a couple out of context quotes and one record (Backspacer) they don't enjoy as much? This guy has been instrumental in PJ's career and produced some of my favorite records ever. Like "slightofjeff" said lets try to be a little more rational around here. Oh yeah, and Lightning Bolt isn't even fucking out yet and people are calling for this guy to never be used again?!?!?! :roll:

its ridiculous
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    Yeah, really. I suppose I might be a bit cocky too if on of the best bands in the world continuously wanted me producing their stuff. I do feel he's not afraid to kick them in the ass when they need it and didn't seem too thrilled about the long break they took while recording the album which I like.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Abe Froman wrote:

its ridiculous
    Yup. I mean at some point its just not rational. An opinion is one thing but people havent even heard LB yet. If they don't like it after they hear it I completely understand voicing an opinion on that. And even voicing the opinion that they want a new direction of the producer but some of the posts in this thread (and many others unfortunately) are beyond ridiculous. For me it ruins rational discussion about PJ on this board.
  • Options
    DH62179 wrote:
    Yeah, really. I suppose I might be a bit cocky too if on of the best bands in the world continuously wanted me producing their stuff. I do feel he's not afraid to kick them in the ass when they need it and didn't seem too thrilled about the long break they took while recording the album which I like.
    This was my first reaction after reading it also!
  • Options
    MiiikeMiiike Posts: 436
    I can't comment too much on BO'B, but I think the mark of a good producer, is one that cuts out the cheese, rather than adds it . . . one that says 'this song is awesome and poppy, but because of its poppiness it could easily delve into cheese, so let's make it a bit more raw and COOL', and I suppose one that says 'this song is in danger of alienating people, they won't get it, let's bring it back a little and make it more musical (or turn it into a novelty moment)' but music is so fricking subjective. One person's idea of a masterpiece, is another's idea of utter boring crap . . .

I would HOPE that the band has the final say on everything, and is only guided by BO'B rather than coerced into things . . . but who knows how they all work together? They're so fucking democratic, it must make things HARD. I'm sure they need a good producer to bring them all together, and help them see each others points of view, and then make the right decision for the cohesion of the album.

I think it's important that whatever producer they use realises that they are so successful, and have so many millions of loyal adoring fans, that they never need 'dumb down' their music for the mass market . . . EVER. That's not to say they should release experimental crap that no one likes or understands, but that they don't need any cheesy Disney-movie elements in their music . . . NOT NECESSARY.

Fucking hell music is so hard!!!! It's such a fine line between awesome, accessible, COOL shit, and music that is too commercial, or a bit daggy. From what it sounds like, LB might sit nicely beneath that line, with some poppier stuff like LB and Let the Records Play, and some darker moodier stuff for the fans to get their teeth into . . .

Will have to make a judgement on BO'B's influence (i.e. including SBM etc) once I hear the album! I think it's kinda BIZARRE to include an EV solo song that we've all heard before (as much as I love it on uke songs) on a new PJ record, but will have to withhold judgement until I actually hear it . . .

Essentially though, CANNOT FUCKING WAIT TO HEAR THIS SHIT!!!!!! And I'm crossing all my fingers and toes, for ALL of us, that it is good shit . . . something we can really get into . . .
  • Options
    Elmo wrote:
    I can't comment too much on BO'B, but I think the mark of a good producer, is one that cuts out the cheese, rather than adds it . . . one that says 'this song is awesome and poppy, but because of its poppiness it could easily delve into cheese, so let's make it a bit more raw and COOL', and I suppose one that says 'this song is in danger of alienating people, they won't get it, let's bring it back a little and make it more musical (or turn it into a novelty moment)' but music is so fricking subjective. One person's idea of a masterpiece, is another's idea of utter boring crap . . .

I would HOPE that the band has the final say on everything, and is only guided by BO'B rather than coerced into things . . . but who knows how they all work together? They're so fucking democratic, it must make things HARD. I'm sure they need a good producer to bring them all together, and help them see each others points of view, and then make the right decision for the cohesion of the album.

I think it's important that whatever producer they use realises that they are so successful, and have so many millions of loyal adoring fans, that they never need 'dumb down' their music for the mass market . . . EVER. That's not to say they should release experimental crap that no one likes or understands, but that they don't need any cheesy Disney-movie elements in their music . . . NOT NECESSARY.

Fucking hell music is so hard!!!! It's such a fine line between awesome, accessible, COOL shit, and music that is too commercial, or a bit daggy. From what it sounds like, LB might sit nicely beneath that line, with some poppier stuff like LB and Let the Records Play, and some darker moodier stuff for the fans to get their teeth into . . .

Will have to make a judgement on BO'B's influence (i.e. including SBM etc) once I hear the album! I think it's kinda BIZARRE to include an EV solo song that we've all heard before (as much as I love it on uke songs) on a new PJ record, but will have to withhold judgement until I actually hear it . . .

Essentially though, CANNOT FUCKING WAIT TO HEAR THIS SHIT!!!!!! And I'm crossing all my fingers and toes, for ALL of us, that it is good shit . . . something we can really get into . . .

They pay BoB. BoB is not paying them. So let that be an indicator for who is in control. Keep in mind: there is no record company anymore. PJ are independent artists.