My parents gave me a picture of my sister

Comments

• RKCNDY wrote:

can you dunk? :lol:

No :lol:

MV5BMTIyMTgxODc1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzMzNDA0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

referral denied
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited September 2013
    chadwick wrote:
    no like you sister? what for?

She's 13 and I'm nearly 21.

We share no interests and never talk. I don't ever see her but a couple times a year.

I'm sure we'll talk a lot more when she gets older. I dunno, I don't feell I need a picture at all. But, I found a place for it

do not travel down this path. this is how my mom's family is. she has three older sisters & one older brother. they all talk & inneract amongst themselves, travel, holiday gatherings... mom is the only one left out.

it is sad as fuck. you are an adult. you might wanna take the responsibility into your hands & be a brother. before you know it, 20-30 years will pass & it will be even harder to get together

just sayin...

you could teach her how to drive
    get her alcohol when she 18
    score green bags when she's older
    now you can go to teenage girl movies w/ her
    just think, you could attend a belieber concert
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Is she a step sister
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    this thread reminds me of when I first met Mr. RK...and when I met his entire family over holidays, his little nephew (who was about 4 at the time) loved loved LOVED InSynch, and knew all the dances to their videos, he would put on the CD and dance around the house.

I wish I had taken video of him dancing, because now he's 16 and making trips out here so he can go to deadmou5 concerts. :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    no like you sister? what for?

She's 13 and I'm nearly 21.

We share no interests and never talk. I don't ever see her but a couple times a year.

I'm sure we'll talk a lot more when she gets older. I dunno, I don't feell I need a picture at all. But, I found a place for it

do not travel down this path. this is how my mom's family is. she has three older sisters & one older brother. they all talk & inneract amongst themselves, travel, holiday gatherings... mom is the only one left out.

it is sad as fuck. you are an adult. you might wanna take the responsibility into your hands & be a brother. before you know it, 20-30 years will pass & it will be even harder to get together

just sayin...

you could teach her how to drive
    get her alcohol when she 18
    score green bags when she's older
    now you can go to teenage girl movies w/ her
    just think, you could attend a belieber concert

I don't think so. When the time comes, I think we'll talk more.

It would be a lot easier to do those things you listed if she was right down the street. This isn't the case and I have school to go to, work to get accomplished, and more work to get accomplished at my job.
  • Is she a step sister

No
    good luck

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    good luck

Thanks, Chad
  • Is there not enough "space" to put it somewhere? My mom just passed & I've looked at hundreds of pictures of my brother & her recently. Remembering times throughout life. Don't take them for granted even if you aren't close with her now :ugeek: .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    There's a big age gap between my brother and I. I remember having similar feelings when I was in college and he was still in jr high/ high school. Not having much in common, different places in life, I was far away at school etc.... We always did share a love of pj though. Now he is one of the few people on the planet who gets me and he is one of my best friends. Our lives have circled around and now we are in the same stage again...career, family etc. We live far apart but talk frequently and will see 5 pj concerts together by years end. I found some old pics just the other day that included some very goofy looking school mug shots of him that my mom had given me when I was in college. I stuck em in a box and haven't seen them in prolly 15 years. Brought a year to my eye. I say save the pic.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

She poked a hole his Maynard James Keenan blow-up doll.

I hope there isn't such a thing. :lol:
    Speak for yourself, mister 8-)

:mrgreen:

Gotta echo the "you'll treasure it later" sentiments. While I believe memories vs tangibles are more valuable - for me anyway - there's nothing like coming upon random forgotten photos of those we love (or those who love us).

Keep it and you'll never regret it.
  • Is there not enough "space" to put it somewhere? My mom just passed & I've looked at hundreds of pictures of my brother & her recently. Remembering times throughout life. Don't take them for granted even if you aren't close with her now :ugeek: .

Sorry to hear that, my condolences. Pictures are a big thing in our family too. My dad is a photographer and my mom is "addicted" to snapping pics of everyone everywhere. I remember that we never wanted to have our pics taken when I was a child, but today I'm glad we did.

PFP, my 13-year-old self would have loved to have a brother in your age. I am the eldest of three sister who are all one year apart. I would have killed for a big brother :P Get over it and be nice to her.
  • hmmmm...I think if you wanted to throw it away, you would have just thrown it away and not posted about it. I think you posted about it so everyone could talk you into keeping it and you wouldn't feel like a big geek for doing so. Awwwww you big 6'1" sap! :D
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    she's family, your sister, keep the picture.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    :roll: Just put it on your fridge for a while like a normal person. :lol: :fp:

Maybe you should suck it up and take her out to something she'd like and try and be a big bro to her? Maybe introduce her to some good live music or something. Girls start growi g up pretty fast once they are teenagers. She just might have some interesting shit to say very soon, depending on what kind of person she is.

Long term indifference towards a person doesn't tend to just go away. Just sayin'. :)

.... or not. Do what you want of course. :P ;) You know your family better than any of us obviously! You could be right... one day you'll just ... I dunno... get drunk together and bond or something?? And on the other end of the spectrum, just because people are family members it doesn't mean they're going to enjoy each other's company. If you don't you don't. Me, I have almost nothing to do with my sister anymore because she's a raving bitch and I can't stand being around her toxic personality. Watcha gonna do?? :will shrug: However, I should say that I put in a long and concerted effort to have a good relationship with her before realizing she was a write off. I would have regrets if I hadn't given it the old college try...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • i wasnt lucky to grow up with my sister after my parents got a divorce when both was little kids....
    i went to live with my dad,my sister with my mom..
    after 25 years apart and far away from eachother ,since 2010 we live in the same city so i can see her very often now..
    i would keep everything from her ,even was just the air of the room she just passed.....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    another thing i'd add is when you are home and see her invite her to do something with you. I have a bunch of older brothers and sisters and when I was a teenager, especially the earlier teen years, it felt great to be included or asked to do things with them. even just playing like a board game (ok this generation xbox or something) or do something around the house. it made me feel older and good about myself. i'm sure it's tough for you now with the age difference but I bet she looks up to you in a big way. embrace it, there is a good chance there will be a great payoff later in life.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I would start building your relationship with your younger sister Now... by the time she's a bit older, your sister will be too busy with collage, work etc and you will be "busy" and before you know it 20 years can pass by.

Everyone is busy - just find the time. She's family - ( make the effort )
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • And unless you have another brother, someone is gonna have to intimidate the shit out of her potential boyfriends! :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I think his relationship with his sister is normal. Everybody I knew growing up who had a little sister that far apart, and there were a handful of them, didn't really have all that meaningful of a relationship with them until later. They loved them, but they didn't hang or shoot the shit. He's probably spent plenty of time with her both voluntarily and against his will. When she gets older and actually becomes interesting they'll have something to talk about and as he said, have a more meaningful relationship. They have nothing in common at the moment (he's a college student into NIN and APC, she's a 13 year old girl) other than the fact they both came from the same ballsack. The most interaction I saw any of my friends have with their little sisters was to trick them into doing and saying stupid shit. We'd send them to tell mom "give me some fucking cookies" or having her "seek" us while we were a couple of blocks away "hiding" in front of a Nintendo. I'm sure this wallet sized photo isn't the only known photograph of his sister, given that it's a wallet size that probably means there are one or more sheets of the exact same photo over at his parents house along with some 8X10's, a coffee mug and a computer disc. It's a wallet sized photo, not an artifact that "BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!!!" Dr. Jones.

Besides, he found a place for it, and I'm sure it's appropriately booby trapped. I agree he should keep it, but I think he was only half serious about throwing it away. Otherwise, as comebackgirl pointed out, he probably would have just done so and not started a thread about it. I thought the point was that it was kind of strange getting a picture of his sister in the mail. Who mails pictures anymore anyway? This may not apply to peacefrompaul, but for a lot of people his age, hard copies of anything, be it pictures, books, music, whatever, is kind of an antiquated concept. He's not really at the age of decorating with family photos. I'm betting the only framed items he owns are music memorabilia and the 8X10 of Trent he kisses before bed every night.

You can't force a relationship. His indifference towards his sister, at his age and being off at college, is pretty normal I think. We've all seen the cycle at college. Freshman arrives, is homesick as hell, then they make friends and start a life there that occupies most of their time and the homesickness is gone, then you graduate and leave that life. At that point you hopefully get a job and some responsibility, slowly come to respect your parents for their hard work and start to understand why they did some of the things they did, then your family seems less like those people who fucked up your social calendar by dragging you off to Disney Land so she can ride the teacups when whatever band was in town, and more like the people who made you who you are.

The guy is in college, the only advice he needs is on proper beer bong construction. The heavy stuff comes later.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    hmmmm...I think if you wanted to throw it away, you would have just thrown it away and not posted about it. I think you posted about it so everyone could talk you into keeping it and you wouldn't feel like a big geek for doing so. Awwwww you big 6'1" sap! :D
    this

he wants advice. he wants to know what he should do. like you said, he could have simply threw it out & not posted a thread about it at all. someone wants advice & such.

take your little sister out to dinner. how fucking difficult can it be? how far apart do you two live? so you were..... 8 years old or so when she was brought into this lovely world..

i think i'm understanding this now

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited September 2013
    ;)

just keep the picture, she is your sister
    Post edited by PRL1JAM on
  • PRL1JAM wrote:
    I am not reading all of that...

The short version is that I think people are reading a little too much into it, maybe transferring their own regrets onto peacefrompaul. Which I understand. He's just a kid (I'm kidding peacefrompaul, you're a big boy yes you are), and it's a wallet photo, he's not setting fire to family photo albums. He and his sister will likely have a more meaningful relationship when they're a little older and more mature, regardless of what happens to the wallet size photo that will likely get lost anyway.
    I think his relationship with his sister is normal. Everybody I knew growing up who had a little sister that far apart, and there were a handful of them, didn't really have all that meaningful of a relationship with them until later. They loved them, but they didn't hang or shoot the shit. He's probably spent plenty of time with her both voluntarily and against his will. When she gets older and actually becomes interesting they'll have something to talk about and as he said, have a more meaningful relationship. They have nothing in common at the moment (he's a college student into NIN and APC, she's a 13 year old girl) other than the fact they both came from the same ballsack. The most interaction I saw any of my friends have with their little sisters was to trick them into doing and saying stupid shit. We'd send them to tell mom "give me some fucking cookies" or having her "seek" us while we were a couple of blocks away "hiding" in front of a Nintendo. I'm sure this wallet sized photo isn't the only known photograph of his sister, given that it's a wallet size that probably means there are one or more sheets of the exact same photo over at his parents house along with some 8X10's, a coffee mug and a computer disc. It's a wallet sized photo, not an artifact that "BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!!!" Dr. Jones.

Besides, he found a place for it, and I'm sure it's appropriately booby trapped. I agree he should keep it, but I think he was only half serious about throwing it away. Otherwise, as comebackgirl pointed out, he probably would have just done so and not started a thread about it. I thought the point was that it was kind of strange getting a picture of his sister in the mail. Who mails pictures anymore anyway? This may not apply to peacefrompaul, but for a lot of people his age, hard copies of anything, be it pictures, books, music, whatever, is kind of an antiquated concept. He's not really at the age of decorating with family photos. I'm betting the only framed items he owns are music memorabilia and the 8X10 of Trent he kisses before bed every night.

You can't force a relationship. His indifference towards his sister, at his age and being off at college, is pretty normal I think. We've all seen the cycle at college. Freshman arrives, is homesick as hell, then they make friends and start a life there that occupies most of their time and the homesickness is gone, then you graduate and leave that life. At that point you hopefully get a job and some responsibility, slowly come to respect your parents for their hard work and start to understand why they did some of the things they did, then your family seems less like those people who fucked up your social calendar by dragging you off to Disney Land so she can ride the teacups when whatever band was in town, and more like the people who made you who you are.

The guy is in college, the only advice he needs is on proper beer bong construction. The heavy stuff comes later.
    You make some logical points, and you may be right.... on the other hand, I've seen it also go the opposite way, where no relationship ever developed. I have also known many people who had a relationship with their much younger siblings - the kind where they look out for them and give them good advice and be someone the kid can look up to, stuff like that. That is also pretty common and normal, and in my opinion infinitely more positive and conducive to a good adult relationship for the siblings later in life. Yeah, what you describe is common... but not the best thing for anything. It's certainly the easiest thing to do though. As far as not "forcing" a relationship goes... that thinking works fine when talking about random people. But when it comes to your immediate family members one should consider putting an effort in to maintain and nurture those relationships.

Do you really think that adults in their 20s should only be thinking about trivial bullshit?? :?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    You make some logical points, and you may be right.... on the other hand, I've seen it I have also go the opposite way, where no relationship ever developed. I have also knownany people who had a relationship with their much younger siblings - the kind where they look out for them and give them good advice and be someone the kid can look up to, stuff like that. That is also pretty common and normal, and in my opinion infinitely more positive and conducive to a good adult relationship for the siblings later in life. Yeah, what you describe is common... but not the best thing for anything. Certainly the easiest thing to do though.

Do you really think that adults in their 20s should only be thinking about trivial bullshit?? :?

True PJ_Soul, but I'm saying whether he does or doesn't form a positive relationship with his sister probably doesn't revolve around the fate of the wallet sized photo.

As for the trivial bullshit, I'm assuming you're referring to the beer bong statement, which was meant to be humorous. But at the same time I was saying that he's young, and doesn't necessarily have to be worrying himself about a time when he might not have his family. I've been down that road before, and it's depressing. I've gone through a couple of phases where I really worried about that. As my parents get older I thought I needed to spend more time with them while they're still here, which ended up being like some death vigil over two perfectly healty people, and forced. I wasn't there because I wanted to be (not that I don't hang out, but the reasoning wasn't about simply hanging out), I was there because I felt I should be, like I needed to cram in some time. You just can't worry about that stuff, but at the same time, as I think you're saying, you shouldn't take it for granted either.
    PRL1JAM wrote:

The short version is that I think people are reading a little too much into it, maybe transferring their own regrets onto peacefrompaul. Which I understand. He's just a kid (I'm kidding peacefrompaul, you're a big boy yes you are), and it's a wallet photo, he's not setting fire to family photo albums. He and his sister will likely have a more meaningful relationship when they're a little older and more mature, regardless of what happens to the wallet size photo that will likely get lost anyway.
    Oh, for sure some of us are over thinking it - this is the AET. :lol: I am sure Will anticipated all of this when he posted! :lol:
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    this is the AET. :lol: I am sure Will anticipated all of this when he posted! :lol:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
    PRL1JAM wrote:

I agree with that
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    people still carry photos in their wallet?

assuming it is a class photo, photography companies still offer those ridiculous picture packages for like $69.99 in which you get 2 poster sized photos, 4 mini poster sized and like 8 wallets? :lol:

please tell me the neon zig-zag lightsaber design is still a background option!
  • Thanks for the replies..

I have the photo somewhere safe.

Not sure what else I can really say.