Options

Sirens to Be Next Single From LB

Comments

• Options
    Man so people are allready righting off songs like , LB ,SIRENS and Sleeping by myself :roll:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Man, I can't wait to hear this track. I have a feeling it's gonna be EPIC! I don't care anymore about worrying if it sounds like a sell-out commercial single. I just want good music from my favorite band.

Besides, I'm too old for "punk ethos." I'm still about musical integrity. But, As long as it feels straight from the heart ... I'm good. Even if it's "poppy."

HEAR THE SIREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENS!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,496
    I'm glad it's not Sleeping By Myself.

vf5Rrph.gif
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,262
    mca47 wrote:
    Yep, the chorus is terrible.

"Lightning boooooooooolt...light-ning booooollllllt" :fp:

"I, oh, I, oh, I'm still a-live."

"Why go home? Why go home? Why go home?"

"Don't go on me. Don't go on me. Don't go on me."

"(Insert however you would spell out the chorus to Oceans here)"

Etc, etc, etc

In other words: I think you're overthinking this one. Ed has been writing simple choruses to great, great songs for a long time.

I can't wait for the crowd to sing "Lightning booooolllllllt" in unison as they do with Alive, Why Go. Oh wait, that'll never happen. :lol: The examples you gave are in fact simple, but what they lack is the clunkiness of "Light-ning booooolt!" :fp: "Light-ning boooooooolt" is pretty cringe-worthy. I hope the studio version is better than the Wrigley version because the rest of the song is pretty solid.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

I really liked the verses but the chorus just seems lazy to me.

Yep, the chorus is terrible.

"Lightning boooooooooolt...light-ning booooollllllt" :fp:

I watched the video on youtube today after a week or so of not watching it and all i thought was... EPIC

"and then a lightning striiike SEEETS you free yeaa!"

and ed's vocals at the end.. the build up of it... mike's solos.

soaring fucking tune
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    Actually I think Sirens would be the logical choice. It has been hyped up at the start and it is supposed to be radio friendly. So from a marketing perspective this makes perfect sense...

Where did this rumor-that-has-become-truth that SBM would have been released as second single has come from??? Or is it just fan-based angst?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    I have no issues with the most hit worthy song being released. Go back a decade, Down shouldve been ruling rock radio but it was left off completely.
  • Options
    cp3iverson wrote:
    I have no issues with the most hit worthy song being released. Go back a decade, Down shouldve been ruling rock radio but it was left off completely.

I've always thought this as well. I also have always thought that if In Hiding got to the chorus sooner - it could have been a big time hit.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Man, I can't wait to hear this track. I have a feeling it's gonna be EPIC! I don't care anymore about worrying if it sounds like a sell-out commercial single. I just want good music from my favorite band.

Besides, I'm too old for "punk ethos." I'm still about musical integrity. But, As long as it feels straight from the heart ... I'm good. Even if it's "poppy."

HEAR THE SIREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENS!

Amen.

I have no idea who, but someone made the statement that "there is nothing wrong with music that sounds good." Sure you want some depth to it and you certainly don't want some of the synthetic nonsense played on FM radio, but there are fans out there that immediately hate something if it is the least bit catchy. I feel sorry for them.
  • Options
    Also: "It's my blood. It's my blood. It's my blood."

And also: Whatever you think the lyrics are to the chorus of Given to Fly.

Did you write Lightning Bolt or something? It is okay if people don't like it. I don't think they are saying it is a bad song, it just doesn't click for some reason. I like the way AltNation reviewed this song. "A song Ed could write in his sleep". That is how I feel about it.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    I always like songs with no real "chorus".

Black
    immortality
    unthought known
    corduroy
    etc

Much more interesting to me
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

I can't wait for the crowd to sing "Lightning booooolllllllt" in unison as they do with Alive, Why Go. Oh wait, that'll never happen. :lol:

If that song were 23 years old and as well known as the songs on Ten, it would most definitely happen. It's just a newer song, which I refuse to prejudge without, you know, hearing it clearly on a studio album. As opposed to making determinations off of the first time it is ever played in public. But I'm a nut like that. I belong in an asylum.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Also: "It's my blood. It's my blood. It's my blood."

And also: Whatever you think the lyrics are to the chorus of Given to Fly.

Did you write Lightning Bolt or something?

Fuck. I wish.
    I don't think they are saying it is a bad song, it just doesn't click for some reason. I like the way AltNation reviewed this song. "A song Ed could write in his sleep". That is how I feel about it.

That's fine. I just thought the criticism that the chorus only has two words was a weird criticism of a band that has a lot of simple choruses -- and some songs with really no chorus --- throughout its catalogue.

"I really like that song where the chorus is a guy screaming 'It's my blood" over and over, but not the one where he sings 'lightning bolt' over and over because it's too simple." Just a weird criticism to me.

On top of that, I'm growing weary in general of the nitpicking apart of an album that 99 percent of us on this board have yet to even hear properly.
  • Options
    On top of that, I'm growing weary in general of the nitpicking apart of an album that 99 percent of us on this board have yet to even hear properly.

I think part of it is the band has been around 22 years. Some fans are still in the stage where everything PJ releases is great to them, and for some that feeling has faded. I literally loved every song through Yield (including B-sides, covers, anything I could get my hands on). I LOVED Bugs and still know all the lyrics 15 years later when I rarely hear the song. Somehow that faded away. Damn you Breakerfall! ha.
  • Options

I think part of it is the band has been around 22 years. Some fans are still in the stage where everything PJ releases is great to them, and for some that feeling has faded. I literally loved every song through Yield (including B-sides, covers, anything I could get my hands on). I LOVED Bugs and still know all the lyrics 15 years later when I rarely hear the song. Somehow that faded away. Damn you Breakerfall! ha.

I've addressed this elsewhere, but I feel like much of that fading feeling with some fans has to do with their expectation level. For some reason, some people seem to think their 1000th kiss should be as electric as their first. And when it isn't, they are disappointed.

It's highly unlikely that Pearl Jam -- or any band, really -- is going to write something epic and life-altering in its 22nd year of existence. The best it's really fair to hope for from an album at this stage are a collection of songs that will hold up well enough in the live show, and maybe -- maybe -- one or two song that connect on a deeper level.

Personally, Pearl Jam has delivered that to me with each album.

Those first few Pearl Jam albums were like the first kiss of a whirlwind romance for most of us. It doesn't make sense to expect that same fervor 20 something years later. I love my wife now just as much as I did when we met 14 years ago, but it's not that "first kiss, all-consuming puppy love" kind of feeling that it was for the first few months we dated. And it would be unfair for me to expect it to be the same.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,470

I've addressed this elsewhere, but I feel like much of that fading feeling with some fans has to do with their expectation level. For some reason, some people seem to think their 1000th kiss should be as electric as their first. And when it isn't, they are disappointed.

It's highly unlikely that Pearl Jam -- or any band, really -- is going to write something epic and life-altering in its 22nd year of existence. The best it's really fair to hope for from an album at this stage are a collection of songs that will hold up well enough in the live show, and maybe -- maybe -- one or two song that connect on a deeper level.

Those first few Pearl Jam albums were like the first kiss of a whirlwind romance for most of us. It doesn't make sense to expect that same fervor 20 something years later. I love my wife now just as much as I did when we met 14 years ago, but it's not that "first kiss, all-consuming puppy love" kind of feeling that it was for the first few months we dated. And it would be unfair for me to expect it to be the same.

Well said my friend. Well said.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,262
    mca47 wrote:

I can't wait for the crowd to sing "Lightning booooolllllllt" in unison as they do with Alive, Why Go. Oh wait, that'll never happen. :lol:

If that song were 23 years old and as well known as the songs on Ten, it would most definitely happen. It's just a newer song, which I refuse to prejudge without, you know, hearing it clearly on a studio album. As opposed to making determinations off of the first time it is ever played in public. But I'm a nut like that. I belong in an asylum.
    The reaction of me and everyone around me at Wrigley when Light-Ning Booooooolllllt was played.

:clap:
    :D
    :|
    :fp:
    :)
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304

It's highly unlikely that Pearl Jam -- or any band, really -- is going to write something epic and life-altering in its 22nd year of existence. The best it's really fair to hope for from an album at this stage are a collection of songs that will hold up well enough in the live show, and maybe-- maybe -- one or two song that xpect it to be the same.

Neil?
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options

Perfectly said, great use of a metaphor to explain your point and to explain the human mind. I might use that, hope that's ok.
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    But then again, who here likes Top Ramen?
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options

Great analogy :D
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413

I don't think that's the case and I don't agree with the analogy. I think it just comes down to the perceived quality of the piece of music. There are always gonna be people that love whatever PJ puts out, but then there are those that are gonna wait and decide. I personally fall somewhere in the middle.

Now, there aren't many examples of bands that have been around as long as PJ putting out anything, let alone, great, life changing albums. I just don't think they should be graded on a curve just b/c they've put out great albums in the past. QOTSA and Wilco are 2 bands that have put out some of their best work with their latest albums and maybe they're not quite as deep into their runs as PJ, they've been around a long time.

For me, the most recent kiss can/should be as good as the first and I'll continue to be hopeful of that with Lightning Bolt.
  • Options
    This is going to be a total presumptuous statement on my part, if only because it is based on nothing more than a few reviews by fans who've heard the album once. The impression I get from those initial reactions is that Lightning Bolt is a cross between tradition and innovation. It will contain the stuff this band can naturally do and another group of songs that will mark uncharted territory for them.

Of course, now I've gone completely off topic- back to Sirens. It makes total sense this would be the next single, even if there wasn't a source to confirm that. Obviously because Brendan thinks it is one of their best is a good reason. Also, having MYM as the first single is a way to reintroduce themselves as a hard-hitting rock band before unveiling a more listener-friendly single, like Sirens. Again, this total conjecture from someone (me) who has only read articles on the subject. I'm just counting the days...
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

The reaction of me and everyone around me at Wrigley when Light-Ning Booooooolllllt was played.

Fun guys.
  • Options
    PU38569PU38569 Posts: 260

LB's chorus is lazy non-powerful uninteresting generic fast-food
    This is a birthday pony
  • Options
    PU38569 wrote:

LB's chorus is lazy non-powerful uninteresting generic fast-food

Again, I'm not really sure we'd call that a chorus. Pearl Jam writes a lot of songs without a proper chorus. It's an artistic decision. And it's fine.
  • Options
    I noticed i'm being quoted for something i didn't say lol. As a matter of fact i'm pro "Lightning Boooolllt!" for the chorus haha :) I mentioned that on the first page of this forum but for some reason i'm quoted saying: "i really liked the verses but the chorus seemed lazy to me."

Unless....it's my evil half brother hacking my profile again. He's a card. Hiding the remote and crap. Sick bastard.

Alas, the first Lightning Bolt conspiracy was born.
    One man stands alone, awaiting, for her to come home.
    Eyes are closed,.. You cannot know.
    But his heart don't seem to roam.
  • Options
    Tuesdays gonna be great for everybody
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,355
    cosmik wrote:

oh yeah? :P
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,496
    cosmik wrote:

oh yeah? :P

It's the 10th of the month. Tuesday the 10th.
    Which only means one thing.
    The new PJ newsletter!

This discussion has been closed.