Did I Do The Right Thing Today?

g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
edited September 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Today I decided to get a haircut, my grey fro bangs were getting out of control. 8-) I needed some cash for the barber so I off to the atm at my bank. So as i got to the bank this lady in a black Mercedes cuts me off while on the phone which caused me to slam on my brakes. I was like get off the fricking phone....she speeds up then comes to a screeching halt at the outside atm. She's screaming or yelling at somebody on the phone while shes doing her business at the atm, then finishes up and takes off like a bat out of hell.

I was like what a piece of work...i pull up and i had to take a double take as the woman left her cash right there in the machine. I grabbed it then took a look to see if she came flying back looking for her money. She never came, I got my cash then decided to count her money....$200. My barber was waiting but I decided to go into the bank, I got a manager told her quickly what happened and left my card. I told her I hope she'll call to say thank you, THEN I thought about telling her to pay attention and get off the fricking phone. Only in South Florida.

Did I do the right thing? I told my barber and he said you did do the right thing. Oh the manager said if no one comes to pick up the money they will be calling me.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Good things happen to good people. Well done sir :thumbup:
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Grey 'fro bangs?

(I image-Googled that. What a variety!)

Yes, you absolutely did the right thing. I bet it'd be sitting on your conscience right now if you hadn't.

Good display of character; always most telling how we act when no one else is around :thumbup:
  • hedonist wrote:
    Grey 'fro bangs?

(I image-Googled that. What a variety!)

Yes, you absolutely did the right thing. I bet it'd be sitting on your conscience right now if you hadn't.

Good display of character; always most telling how we act when no one else is around :thumbup:

rest assured that if he/she was at an atm, somebody was watching. . . .whether they were around or not.
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    you absolutely did the right thing.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • I would say well done, sir. You have also set a good example for your kids.

We aren't taking about some change left in a vending machine, which I'm sure any of us would take. This amounted to a little more! I thinking it's best to do the decent thing whenever possible.

And the woman driving while yelling on her cell phone is an upcoming car wreck.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Totally did the right thing! Just cause she was being a jack ass at the moment, didn't mean you had to! I commend you for doing the right thing! I know so many people that would have kept that shit, claiming she deserved it. Yeah, I get a lot if flack for being as honest as I am!!
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Good things happen to good people. Well done sir :thumbup:

This
  • Good on you! Nice work ;)

Those ATMs have cameras and they would of got her and you and tied it together. License plate and grey bangs and all :D
  • I guess I'll be he first person to say maybe you didn't do the right thing. She cut you off and drove carelessly while talking on her cell phone, which says a lot about her character. She also drives a Mercedes, so she's probably not hurting for money. It was only $200. Its a petty amount of cash in the eyes of the police. Plus, you didn't steal it- she left it there. It's her own fault. Fuck her.

You didn't necessarily have to keep it. You could have donated it or given it to a homeless person if it would've made you feel better.

You probably did the right thing. Just saying I personally wouldn't think less of you or anyone else if they weren't "honourable" and kept the money, especially from someone like her. Maybe I shouldn't judge a stranger and maybe there was a perfectly good reason for her behaviour. But the way I see it most people are assholes unless they prove otherwise, so I'm probably not wrong about her.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I guess I'll be he first person to say maybe you didn't do the right thing. She cut you off and drove carelessly while talking on her cell phone, which says a lot about her character. She also drives a Mercedes, so she's probably not hurting for money. It was only $200. Its a petty amount of cash in the eyes of the police. Plus, you didn't steal it- she left it there. It's her own fault. Fuck her.

You didn't necessarily have to keep it. You could have donated it or given it to a homeless person if it would've made you feel better.

You probably did the right thing. Just saying I personally wouldn't think less of you or anyone else if they weren't "honourable" and kept the money, especially from someone like her. Maybe I shouldn't judge a stranger and maybe there was a perfectly good reason for her behaviour. But the way I see it most people are assholes unless they prove otherwise, so I'm probably not wrong about her.

I lost my purse last week on my way to work. it had over $250 in it as well as all my very necessary cards. when I discovered it was missing and figured where I lost it, I thought I don't care so much about the money mainly cause I don't expect to ever see it again and im trying to let go of shit that doesn't matter... but cancelling and replacing the cards was gonna be a pain in the arse. I would hope that whoever found it wouldn't automatically think im an arsehole and so make the decision to keep or redistribute the money...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I guess I'll be he first person to say maybe you didn't do the right thing. She cut you off and drove carelessly while talking on her cell phone, which says a lot about her character. She also drives a Mercedes, so she's probably not hurting for money. It was only $200. Its a petty amount of cash in the eyes of the police. Plus, you didn't steal it- she left it there. It's her own fault. Fuck her.

I lost my purse last week on my way to work. it had over $250 in it as well as all my very necessary cards. when I discovered it was missing and figured where I lost it, I thought I don't care so much about the money mainly cause I don't expect to ever see it again and im trying to let go of shit that doesn't matter... but cancelling and replacing the cards was gonna be a pain in the arse. I would hope that whoever found it wouldn't automatically think im an arsehole and so make the decision to keep or redistribute the money...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I guess I'll be he first person to say maybe you didn't do the right thing. She cut you off and drove carelessly while talking on her cell phone, which says a lot about her character. She also drives a Mercedes, so she's probably not hurting for money. It was only $200. Its a petty amount of cash in the eyes of the police. Plus, you didn't steal it- she left it there. It's her own fault. Fuck her.

I lost my purse last week on my way to work. it had over $250 in it as well as all my very necessary cards. when I discovered it was missing and figured where I lost it, I thought I don't care so much about the money mainly cause I
    don't expect to ever see it again and im trying to let go of shit that doesn't matter... but cancelling and replacing the cards was gonna be a pain in the arse. I would hope that whoever found it wouldn't automatically think im an arsehole and so make the decision to keep or redistribute the money...

Did you cut anybody off on the way to work while screaming at someone on your cellphone? Did you give anyone any reason whatsoever to not give a shit whether you got your purse back or not? If not, then there would be no reason for anyone to assume you're an arsehole, would there?

I lost my purse last week on my way to work. it had over $250 in it as well as all my very necessary cards. when I discovered it was missing and figured where I lost it, I thought I don't care so much about the money mainly cause I
    don't expect to ever see it again and im trying to let go of shit that doesn't matter... but cancelling and replacing the cards was gonna be a pain in the arse. I would hope that whoever found it wouldn't automatically think im an arsehole and so make the decision to keep or redistribute the money...

Did you cut anybody off on the way to work while screaming at someone on your cellphone? Did you give anyone any reason whatsoever to not give a shit whether you got your purse back or not? If not, then there would be no reason for anyone to assume you're an arsehole, would there?

but you don't know what she was dealing with on the phone. sure she may well have been a douche but I can assure you there are times when I am not "at my best".. when its totally possible for people to think that my next action will be to bite their head off and piss down their throat so...

theres also those times when the nicest person someone meets turns out to be a serial killer or child molestor... *shrugs*
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • bitch or no, you did the right thing; good on you.
    karma.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• I lost my purse last week on my way to work. it had over $250 in it as well as all my very necessary cards. when I discovered it was missing and figured where I lost it, I thought I don't care so much about the money mainly cause I don't expect to ever see it again and im trying to let go of shit that doesn't matter... but cancelling and replacing the cards was gonna be a pain in the arse. I would hope that whoever found it wouldn't automatically think im an arsehole and so make the decision to keep or redistribute the money...

Did you cut anybody off on the way to work while screaming at someone on your cellphone? Did you give anyone any reason whatsoever to not give a shit whether you got your purse back or not? If not, then there would be no reason for anyone to assume you're an arsehole, would there?[/quote]

but you don't know what she was dealing with on the phone. sure she may well have been a douche but I can assure you there are times when I am not "at my best".. when its totally possible for people to think that my next action will be to bite their head off and piss down their throat so...

theres also those times when the nicest person someone meets turns out to be a serial killer or child molestor... *shrugs*[/quote]

I know I don't know what she was dealing with on the phone. That's why I said that maybe there was a good reason for her behaviour. I'm just saying in my experience, most people are assholes, especially in traffic and towards strangers. Some people have bad days and some people are just assholes. And I just feel that 9/10 people are just assholes. But that's just me. It's my opinion that Miss Mercedes' behaviour was such that I wouldn't have blamed the OP for not turning the money into the bank. Maybe she didn't mean to cut him off? Maybe the person on the other end of the phone was an asshole? Maybe she was having a bad day? But I'd be willing to bet she's an asshole and it wasn't up to the OP to "do the right thing" necessarily. Besides, everyone was saying the OP did the right thing. I was just trying to spice things up a bit. Admit it - this thread got more interesting when I became the first person to question it, lol :)
    ... Admit it - this thread got more interesting when I became the first person to question it, lol :)

im admitting nothing. :P 8-):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ... Admit it - this thread got more interesting when I became the first person to question it, lol :)

Lol ok I'll take that as a yes lol ;);):mrgreen:
    ... Admit it - this thread got more interesting when I became the first person to question it, lol :)

Lol ok I'll take that as a yes lol ;);):mrgreen:

if you think its a wise move second guessing me, then go right ahead. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181

You know the main thing I was focused on in all was to get to my barber to take care of my "fro bangs" and all of the grey. :mrgreen: Yes around here she probably was a rich woman driving that top of the line Mercedes, of which I didn't care about. I just wanted to do something right so I could get to my barber. Could I have used the money absolutely but it wasn't mine to begin with besides I might get that call either from her or the bank.

Somebody said something about karma ill tell something that happened years ago that may have played a part in today's actions. My iPad thing has a bad connection.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    You know the main thing I was focused on in all was to get to my barber to take care of my "fro bangs" and all of the grey. :mrgreen: Yes around here she probably was a rich woman driving that top of the line Mercedes, of which I didn't care about. I just wanted to do something right so I could get to my barber. Could I have used the money absolutely but it wasn't mine to begin with besides I might get that call either from her or the bank.

Somebody said something about karma ill tell something that happened years ago that may have played a part in today's actions. My iPad thing has a bad connection.

Peace

we do the right thing simply cause it is the right thing, not for material gain. you did the right thing.. that's all that matters... I mean aside from getting your frobangs sorted out. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

• if you think its a wise move second guessing me, then go right ahead. ;)8-)

No, I've read enough of your posts over the years to not second guess you, lol :angel:

if you think its a wise move second guessing me, then go right ahead. ;)8-)

No, I've read enough of your posts over the years to not second guess you, lol :angel:

don't choke on that halo. :P 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

• No, I've read enough of your posts over the years to not second guess you, lol :angel:

don't choke on that halo. :P 8-)

Lol
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    Definitely the right thing. Nice job!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    g under p wrote:

Peace

we do the right thing simply cause it is the right thing, not for material gain. you did the right thing.. that's all that matters... I mean aside from getting your frobangs sorted out. ;)8-)

Ok to follow up what happened to me some years ago. It was 1991, I just left work and in a rush to get to my softball teams game when again this person cut in front of me and crashed into the side of my car. We exchanged info while I had my wallet on my trunk and I drove off with it still on my trunk. I was too focused on the game and never noticed I didn't have my wallet till late that night at home which was 30 miles from the accident. The street of the accident was a very busy one between DC and MD I figured it was out I left it on my trunk.

Well the next morning I gathered my wallet was gone for sure especially since I had cards and $289 in cash which was to go towards my rent. So I set out early before my pre-school teaching job to give a fruitless search on this busy Connecticut Ave road. I went to the scene of the accident then drove 15 miles an hour to see if I could possibly spot my wallet. So after a half mile I saw something on the road next to the side walk, with this busy road I had to drive some distance to park then walk back to a busy intersection. I ran to the thing in the street only to see a wallet open with a picture of my daughter in a spring dress staring up at me. I couldn't believe it, a guy at the light across the street saw me pick it up and yelled I want half I yelled back its my wallet. Not thinking anything else would be in it I looked and all my money and cards were still there I couldn't believe it with this being a high traffic area with many many joggers.

So when and if I get into situations like yesterday I try and do the right thing always even if it doesn't involve money.

Peace

• oh hey - that was my girlfriend. Just PM me and i will give you the address to send the money to. :shifty:
  • Good things happen to good people. Well done sir :thumbup:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • g under p wrote:
    Today I decided to get a haircut, my grey fro bangs were getting out of control. 8-) I needed some cash for the barber so I off to the atm at my bank. So as i got to the bank this lady in a black Mercedes cuts me off while on the phone which caused me to slam on my brakes. I was like get off the fricking phone....she speeds up then comes to a screeching halt at the outside atm. She's screaming or yelling at somebody on the phone while shes doing her business at the atm, then finishes up and takes off like a bat out of hell.

I was like what a piece of work...i pull up and i had to take a double take as the woman left her cash right there in the machine. I grabbed it then took a look to see if she came flying back looking for her money. She never came, I got my cash then decided to count her money....$200. My barber was waiting but I decided to go into the bank, I got a manager told her quickly what happened and left my card. I told her I hope she'll call to say thank you, THEN I thought about telling her to pay attention and get off the fricking phone. Only in South Florida.

Did I do the right thing? I told my barber and he said you did do the right thing. Oh the manager said if no one comes to pick up the money they will be calling me.

Peace

Wow, I know the type buddy... all too well. I got out of my car at publix the other day and was startled by a lady yelling on her phone. Its like they live in a bubble sometimes. What's even more amazing is that the lady in your story is so preoccupied with bad driving and yelling that she forgot her money. Amazing. (so I wasnt clear, did you give the money to the manager, or just give your card?) But I think you did the right thing...now the question is, if you have the cash, how long do you wait before you take the lady out for a nice dinner? :shifty: :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Well, I guess I will be the only honest one here.

You should have kept the money.

Get it?
    Honest?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Wow, I know the type buddy... all too well. I got out of my car at publix the other day and was startled by a lady yelling on her phone. Its like they live in a bubble sometimes. What's even more amazing is that the lady in your story is so preoccupied with bad driving and yelling that she forgot her money. Amazing. (so I wasnt clear, did you give the money to the manager, or just give your card?) But I think you did the right thing...now the question is, if you have the cash, how long do you wait before you take the lady out for a nice dinner? :shifty: :D

Whoops I'm rereading what I wrote and I guess I didn't clearly say what I did with the money. However, YES I left the money with the bank manager. I have no idea how long before they may call me if the woman does not return. If the bank never calls its no biggie but I would love for that woman to call me so I can tell her she's not the only person driving these roads like Hyperluxso here out west.

Peace