Marijuana deaths by overdose

2»

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    There are just a couple of points I'd like to add.
    Yes, it is certainly possible for most people to obtain said product by picking up the phone and making a few calls. Availability for most folks is generally not an issue. When I make a purchase of anything, I like to know where my money is going. Here in AZ, every night on the news one of the headline stories is something like "Van stopped on I-10 this afternoon by highway patrol and it was carrying 300lbs of pot, 400lbs of meth, and 200lbs of cocaine". Drugs linked to the Mexican drug cartel...the very ones who weeks earlier slaughtered a dozen Mexican officials and police. Call me crazy, but I have a hard time justifying catching a buzz on a weekend knowing that my money is helping fund the Mexican cartel and paying for worthless, lowlife scumbags to deliver a product to my wealthy neighborhood. Availability is certainly there...no problem.

Careers and lives destroyed.
    How many people are in jail do to minor pot possession?
    How many lives and careers of good, honest people were destroyed because they liked to relax with a joint on the weekend, or after a long day at work? A couple years ago, a prominent physician who was working on a groundbreaking cancer drug got busted for possessing a half ounce of dope while driving home from work (not under the influence, just a traffic stop). This man is truly a genius, a man who dedicated his life to helping others...a man who could have worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center as a physician making a cool half-mil per year, but decided to use his intellect to help others in the development of ground breaking cancer drugs.
    He was immediately fired from his position. Dozens of pharma and research companies reached out to him hoping they could land a great mind, but there was just that one little problem...background checks. He told me that he was offered 6-figure sign-on bonuses with lucrative salaries without even interviewing. Companies were salivating at the idea of having him come work with them. He could never get another job in the industry as a result of being pulled over for coasting through a stop sign.

The cancer patients I work with who constantly have to battle to not only live but to live their final days in comfort. Prior to the medical marijuana laws, so many good people who were trying to fight the good fight being harassed by John Law. One such individual was driving to the clinic for her next round of chemo, got lightheaded so pulled over on the side of the road. She fell asleep for about 20 minutes to be awoken by a police man tapping on her door. She was in bad shape from her treatment. Nausea, vomiting, lightheadedness, fatigue, neuropathy...she was arrested for being under the influence...not of any illegal substance, alcohol or even pot...but her cancer medicine. She later got off of the charge, but John Law found a tin of joints in her purse. She had to pay a $1500 fine. Yeah, maybe she got off easy, but when she's paying $30k a month for cancer treatments that likely won't work...money her kids and grandkids will likely be paying...a $1500 fine isn't so much a slap on the wrist anymore.

Yes, anyone can get it...but to me "availability" isn't the issue. It's the law itself that is hurting so many good, honest people from participating in an otherwise harmless activity. This country should be ashamed of itself.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,781
    I wanna go to the mall and buy dope...
    I wanna sit on my porch, and get stoned, and sing John Lennon.....
    I hung out in an alley last week and got stoned, and felt like a teenager...

I should have known better...
    You fuckers are stoned right now.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    ;););););)

And you want the rest of us to take you seriously?

YES!, what are you doing to save the world? huh Hero?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    delivering the ALL silly shit you buy and making sure I stop my truck before it runs straight through your rearend!!.
    fixed that up for you Speedy.

I on the other hand am making sure thousands of kids in Bangladesh continue to have substandard employment/wages making the third rate clothes for arrogant americans looking to save a few dollars.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    mickeyrat wrote:

I on the other hand am making sure thousands of kids in Bangladesh continue to have substandard employment/wages making the third rate clothes for arrogant americans looking to save a few dollars.

I'm proud to shop at Target!
    mickeyrat wrote:

JCP you bastard!!! Why dont YOU help ME keep MY job and shop the sales you stoner fuck!! :mrgreen:

:corn:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

JCP you bastard!!! Why dont YOU help ME keep MY job and shop the sales you stoner fuck!! :mrgreen:

I dropped a C-Note there a few weeks ago, bought my wife a Duck Dynasty T-Shirt!

DP0618201317022918M.tif?hei=380&wid=380&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2
  • Yeah, my first thought was to walk down the street, say "hey fucker, look at this!!!", do a couple spins, and spark a j.
    mickeyrat wrote:

I dropped a C-Note there a few weeks ago, bought my wife a Duck Dynasty T-Shirt!

you paid a hundred for that? :nono: :nono: :fp: put the dope down!!! :mrgreen::lol::lol::lol:

mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

you paid a hundred for that? :nono: :nono: :fp: put the dope down!!! :mrgreen::lol::lol::lol:

Na 15 bucks, got a couple of t's, picked up this one for myself:

DP0715201317041487M.tif?hei=380&wid=380&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp28-)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    mca47 wrote:
    There are just a couple of points I'd like to add.
    Yes, it is certainly possible for most people to obtain said product by picking up the phone and making a few calls. Availability for most folks is generally not an issue. When I make a purchase of anything, I like to know where my money is going. Here in AZ, every night on the news one of the headline stories is something like "Van stopped on I-10 this afternoon by highway patrol and it was carrying 300lbs of pot, 400lbs of meth, and 200lbs of cocaine". Drugs linked to the Mexican drug cartel...the very ones who weeks earlier slaughtered a dozen Mexican officials and police. Call me crazy, but I have a hard time justifying catching a buzz on a weekend knowing that my money is helping fund the Mexican cartel and paying for worthless, lowlife scumbags to deliver a product to my wealthy neighborhood. Availability is certainly there...no problem.

Careers and lives destroyed.
    How many people are in jail do to minor pot possession?
    How many lives and careers of good, honest people were destroyed because they liked to relax with a joint on the weekend, or after a long day at work? A couple years ago, a prominent physician who was working on a groundbreaking cancer drug got busted for possessing a half ounce of dope while driving home from work (not under the influence, just a traffic stop). This man is truly a genius, a man who dedicated his life to helping others...a man who could have worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center as a physician making a cool half-mil per year, but decided to use his intellect to help others in the development of ground breaking cancer drugs.
    He was immediately fired from his position. Dozens of pharma and research companies reached out to him hoping they could land a great mind, but there was just that one little problem...background checks. He told me that he was offered 6-figure sign-on bonuses with lucrative salaries without even interviewing. Companies were salivating at the idea of having him come work with them. He could never get another job in the industry as a result of being pulled over for coasting through a stop sign.

The cancer patients I work with who constantly have to battle to not only live but to live their final days in comfort. Prior to the medical marijuana laws, so many good people who were trying to fight the good fight being harassed by John Law. One such individual was driving to the clinic for her next round of chemo, got lightheaded so pulled over on the side of the road. She fell asleep for about 20 minutes to be awoken by a police man tapping on her door. She was in bad shape from her treatment. Nausea, vomiting, lightheadedness, fatigue, neuropathy...she was arrested for being under the influence...not of any illegal substance, alcohol or even pot...but her cancer medicine. She later got off of the charge, but John Law found a tin of joints in her purse. She had to pay a $1500 fine. Yeah, maybe she got off easy, but when she's paying $30k a month for cancer treatments that likely won't work...money her kids and grandkids will likely be paying...a $1500 fine isn't so much a slap on the wrist anymore.

Yes, anyone can get it...but to me "availability" isn't the issue. It's the law itself that is hurting so many good, honest people from participating in an otherwise harmless activity. This country should be ashamed of itself.

1st off let me say that i 100% agree that pot should be legalized in this country and that it's unbelievably crazy that some places still don't allow it for medical purposes.

that being said it's still illegal and i have a hard time having sympathy for those who lose careers because they get caught breaking the law. the penalties are out of whack no doubt but most know that going in.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

Good on you and your wife! I've become enamored of the show and of them all.

(and mca, excellent post. Thank you)
    hedonist wrote:

Good on you and your wife! I've become enamored of the show and of them all.

(and mca, excellent post. Thank you)

I don't watch any reality shows normally, but these guys are pretty funny.
  • I thought this thread was about people OD'ING on weed :lol::lol: , i have my own personal grower ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I have multiple sclerosis but i'm a criminal because I smoke weed! wtf
    06/12/03,06/13/03
    10-05-04 09-09-05
    05-16-06-5-17-06-5-19-06,06-26-06-06-27-06 05-03-10 09-04-11
    07/19/13 11-15-13
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    don smith wrote:
    I have multiple sclerosis but i'm a criminal because I smoke weed! wtf
    i am sorry to hear this, don

i notice your location is iowa
    mine is as well

be well, be safe

cookies/brownies (thc butter)
    ON

no smoke to deal with & so very nice feeling for all your ailments
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • jmuscatellojmuscatello Posts: 332
    edited April 2014
    moved post to AMT
    Post edited by jmuscatello on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    I smoked half an ounce in one night once and I was fine (well, you know, lol). Just how much would one have to smoke to OD??! Would it even be possible to do that? I can see maybe eating so much of it that your body starts trying expel it, and you have no access to water so you die of dehydration, but other than that I'm curious as to how someone could possibly smoke enough of it to die if half an ounce was perfectly within the realms of safety. That shit took me 16 hours to smoke (I was young, okay :P ).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jmuscatellojmuscatello Posts: 332
    haha youth was so great, wasn't it? that's impressive!
    From what I've read, technically you can't overdose on any amount, unlike alcohol. It's not actually toxic, and that's why it stays in your system so long that a blood test can pick it up sometimes 3-4 weeks later. Whereas alcohol and other drugs you puke, convulse, die, whatever.
    I read that when a Denver ER doc was asked about accidental "overdoses" of pot, he said that pot was the easiest ER case you could ever have. Give them a quiet room and let them lie down for awhile. In the most extreme cases a mild sedative was sometimes helpful. Not a big deal.