Options

Wow!! Ames variant sold

Comments

• Options
    pjungerspjungers Posts: 77
    I've now seen 7 of these sell for $800 or more. Those high prices are no longer outliers. Sure, you can "bid up" your own auction 1 or 2 times, but the fact that multiples of these have sold at such high prices means that this is what the market is willing to pay.

Highly unlikely that all these guys and their friends are shill bidding.
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    pjungers wrote:
    I've now seen 7 of these sell for $800 or more. Those high prices are no longer outliers. Sure, you can "bid up" your own auction 1 or 2 times, but the fact that multiples of these have sold at such high prices means that this is what the market is willing to pay.

Exactly! There isn't some underground poster mafia. :lol:
    All the owners couldn't have gotten together and conspired to take the posters value up 1000%, or at least nobody called me.
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Yeah I never imagined them getting this high, this quick. Pretty wild honestly considering the limited buyers (compared to the entire poster collecting world).
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    ahill721 wrote:
    pulling69 wrote:
    I am 99 percent sure that was bid up by the guy selling it(or his friends but either way) no sane person would spend that much on that poster. Not a legit price.

I thought that too. He/she could bump up the price potentially to themselves.
    i have no doubts about that..

i suppose you "have no doubts" someone bid up the $1259.99 one too, lol. i think not...several oeople lost out just under that amount...i suppose ALL of them were in on it? its a killer poster, going to be the highest PJ poster ever someday.
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    pjungers wrote:

Exactly! There isn't some underground poster mafia. :lol:
    All the owners couldn't have gotten together and conspired to take the posters value up 1000%, or at least nobody called me.

well said...plus one guy lost the last one at $1253 and me at $1200...i guess ALL of us were in on bidding that one up? people say some dumb stuff sometimes. it'll be worth $3k soon, i've been right so far, trust me, i know my cubs fans and PJ fans. the most loyal and craziest ever!
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    Hoccapuk wrote:
    Highest so far $1259.99 :shock: How high will it go :roll:
    if i want tomorrow i can list a ten opened used cd at ebay and "sell it" for 200.000$..
    ill put 2 friends to bid all day..!!!

you're not thinking straight dude...each of these auctions has 20+ people still in the bidding when it hits these high numbers. i know what my max bid was 2 weeks ago...$1252, guess i'm kind of a "prophet" if you will. :) it'll keep going, and legitimately too. only 45 of them, and people now realize that once these few are gone, and the people that are true fans and collectors get theirs, they will no longer be for sale at ANY price!! just glad i got one!!
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,383
    SZ303389 wrote:
    Hoccapuk wrote:
    Highest so far $1259.99 :shock: How high will it go :roll:
    if i want tomorrow i can list a ten opened used cd at ebay and "sell it" for 200.000$..
    ill put 2 friends to bid all day..!!!

you're not thinking straight dude...each of these auctions has 20+ people still in the bidding when it hits these high numbers. i know what my max bid was 2 weeks ago...$1252, guess i'm kind of a "prophet" if you will. :) it'll keep going, and legitimately too. only 45 of them, and people now realize that once these few are gone, and the people that are true fans and collectors get theirs, they will no longer be for sale at ANY price!! just glad i got one!!
    i have a lot of pj friends.. ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I'm going to say that someone paying $500+ is not buying it to flip. They're buying it for their personal collection. I know I paid more than I wanted when I bought mine. But I had to have it. I figured if I didn't buy it now I'd never have the opportunity to buy one again. There are only 45 of them out in the public. The other 10 are being archived by Ames. Can anyone else think of a PJ poster that was done in a more limited run? I can't.

- Uncle Snuffy
    Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    I'm going to say that someone paying $500+ is not buying it to flip. They're buying it for their personal collection. I know I paid more than I wanted when I bought mine. But I had to have it. I figured if I didn't buy it now I'd never have the opportunity to buy one again. There are only 45 of them out in the public. The other 10 are being archived by Ames. Can anyone else think of a PJ poster that was done in a more limited run? I can't.

- Uncle Snuffy

That's why I asked the question "Will this be the most valuable and limited availibilty PJ poster ever?"

I don't think that's an overreaction to the newness of the poster, either. I know some are saying that it's only a variant and that the purple edition is just the same. Or that if you want to get one, there are thousands of the other color.

But it isn't the same as the show edition or AP....it's Wrigley and it's Cubs red and blue. It's Ames and it's the epic-type show that lasted until 2 a.m. with a rain delay. And it's only going to grow in legend!
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,136

- Uncle Snuffy

That's why I asked the question "Will this be the most valuable and limited availibilty PJ poster ever?"

I don't think that's an overreaction to the newness of the poster, either. I know some are saying that it's only a variant and that the purple edition is just the same. Or that if you want to get one, there are thousands of the other color.

But it isn't the same as the show edition or AP....it's Wrigley and it's Cubs red and blue. It's Ames and it's the epic-type show that lasted until 2 a.m. with a rain delay. And it's only going to grow in legend!

What about the cards? Everyone is busting packs to make sets. Sealed ones will command a premium in the long run. I would be curious to how they stack up, granted there isn't 45 of them. It's the only thing that I see making a run for it because they are going to dry up too.
  • Options

- Uncle Snuffy

What about the cards? Everyone is busting packs to make sets. Sealed ones will command a premium in the long run. I would be curious to how they stack up, granted there isn't 45 of them. It's the only thing that I see making a run for it because they are going to dry up too.

The cards are highly sought after right now. I think they're a pretty cool idea. I just don't know about how interest in them will hold up since its hard to creatively display a sealed pack of cards. I personally wouldn't have interest in looking at a sealed pack of cards the same way I would in looking at a poster framed up nice and hanging on the wall.

- Uncle Snuffy
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,136
    What about the cards? Everyone is busting packs to make sets. Sealed ones will command a premium in the long run. I would be curious to how they stack up, granted there isn't 45 of them. It's the only thing that I see making a run for it because they are going to dry up too.[/quote]

The cards are highly sought after right now. I think they're a pretty cool idea. I just don't know about how interest in them will hold up since its hard to creatively display a sealed pack of cards. I personally wouldn't have interest in looking at a sealed pack of cards the same way I would in looking at a poster framed up nice and hanging on the wall.

- Uncle Snuffy[/quote]

EV Lighters are highly sought after and I would say there are quite a few more than the cards. I do agree a poster is better but when the well goes dry so rises the price.

Is there anything besides the Benny that even compares, and there is 2000 of those?
  • Options
    pjungerspjungers Posts: 77

- Uncle Snuffy

Chances of those cards showing up in the Goods section at some point - ??%
    Chances of the Ames Variant showing up in the Goods section - 0%

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if those cards pop up one of these days.
  • Options
    PJ51390PJ51390 Atlanta Posts: 728

- Uncle Snuffy[/quote]

EV Lighters are highly sought after and I would say there are quite a few more than the cards. I do agree a poster is better but when the well goes dry so rises the price.

Is there anything besides the Benny that even compares, and there is 2000 of those?[/quote]

The PJ20 Billboard prints...
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,735
    There are only 45 of them out in the public. The other 10 are being archived by Ames. Can anyone else think of a PJ poster that was done in a more limited run? I can't.

- Uncle Snuffy

There's always the 2011 Toronto purple moose variant from Munk One, only 20 of those were printed.

I know it may not be in the same league as the Ames Wrigley variant, but it is still extremely limited.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    The Costa Rican posters were of 20...
  • Options
    An Ames variant sold really quick in the dead of the night, last night for $900...
  • Options
    FrankBauerFrankBauer Posts: 448
    lotsalemon wrote:
    There are only 45 of them out in the public. The other 10 are being archived by Ames. Can anyone else think of a PJ poster that was done in a more limited run? I can't.

- Uncle Snuffy

There's always the 2011 Toronto purple moose variant from Munk One, only 20 of those were printed.

I know it may not be in the same league as the Ames Wrigley variant, but it is still extremely limited.

technically variants shouldn't count in the discussion for limited runs since its the same image. alot of the variants are small runs, especially if they werent placed in the stacks as a surprise at the show....the munk toronto and soto bird has 20. and cliver had a few. what about the emek eddie foil? PJ CCFA posters had variants that were low numbers as well. i have a sean carroll PJ cleveland 03 chipboard variant that has a run of 6. makes me curious which PJ poster actually is the most limited. i guess a case can be made for the emek SB 06 since emek probably has a stack sitting in his garage.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,383
    FrankBauer wrote:

technically variants shouldn't count in the discussion for limited runs since its the same image. alot of the variants are small runs, especially if they werent placed in the stacks as a surprise at the show....the munk toronto and soto bird has 20. and cliver had a few. what about the emek eddie foil? PJ CCFA posters had variants that were low numbers as well. i have a sean carroll PJ cleveland 03 chipboard variant that has a run of 6. makes me curious which PJ poster actually is the most limited. i guess a case can be made for the emek SB 06 since emek probably has a stack sitting in his garage.
    i really like your knowledge about posters..i always find helpfull and intresting your posts
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    FrankBauer wrote:
    lotsalemon wrote:

- Uncle Snuffy

I've rethought my position on this after your post. I agree. A variant shouldn't count as a limited run of a poster as it is of the same image...just different colors.
  • Options
    FrankBauer wrote:
    lotsalemon wrote:

- Uncle Snuffy

I'm not sure what poster had the most limited run. I've seen the number of 300 to 400 for posters from their Yield Tour. I think the run for the Blackie 2000 Chicago poster was to be 125 but not all were released to the public.

- Uncle Snuffy
  • Options
    personally i'd have to pick emek's pj ny mirrorball poster. there were only 10 of them made, the last one on ebay was listed at 5 g's but was sold for best offer and I don't know what that was. but as far as rarity is concerned, it's up there.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    personally i'd have to pick emek's pj ny mirrorball poster. there were only 10 of them made, the last one on ebay was listed at 5 g's but was sold for best offer and I don't know what that was. but as far as rarity is concerned, it's up there.

I'm not familiar with that poster. But since Mirror Ball was a Neil Young album wouldn't that poster technically be considered a Neil Young poster?

- Uncle Snuffy
  • Options

- Uncle Snuffy

precisely, couldn't agree more. wait until the sales run dry...price goes to the moon.
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    yeah i guess that could be either or, i'm pretty sure it says pearl jam in the little flames circle and the obvious big PJ in the middle, for me that classifies as a pearl jam poster. but it does say mirrorball i think which is neil.

I'm not familiar with that poster. But since Mirror Ball was a Neil Young album wouldn't that poster technically be considered a Neil Young poster?

- Uncle Snuffy
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    yeah i guess that could be either or, i'm pretty sure it says pearl jam in the little flames circle and the obvious big PJ in the middle, for me that classifies as a pearl jam poster. but it does say mirrorball i think which is neil.

- Uncle Snuffy
    Are u sure it says pearl jam? I thought mirrorball had the initials ny on it
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    it has pj and ny instead of the regular one. i could be wrong, but i think i remember seeing a close up pic of the flame circle and it said pearl jam in small letters. but that was like ten years ago so maybe i'm remembering wrong.

http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/510

this is the one i'm talking about, but it's hard to see close up of the fire ring.
  • Options
    PJCubsPJCubs Posts: 291
    Frank,

Thank You for your insight.

Could you expound on your thought that a variant shouldn't be counted as its own run?

In my mind, Ames had three posters at Wrigley. Ames Show Print, Ames S/N AP Print, and Ames S/N Variant Print. All the same 'image' but produced / marketed differently. All are listed separately anywhere you look and are definitely on the path to establish independent market values.

I understand from an 'art' standpoint that it was no more work for the artist to create the AP or Variant but obviously the public disagrees and views / values each independently from the other.

I am relatively new to poster collecting and am enjoying it.

I would appreciate further insight!

Thanks,

Bob
    FrankBauer wrote:
    lotsalemon wrote:

- Uncle Snuffy

Soldier Field - 7.11.95
    Chicago - 5.16.06
    Chicago - 8.24.09
    Eddie Vedder @ Chicago Theatre - 6.28.11
    PJ20 - 9.3.11
    Wrigley Field - 7.19 / Pittsburgh - 10.10 / Buffalo - 10.11
    Philadelphia 2 - 10.22 / Portland - 11.29 / Spokane - 11.30
    Amsterdam - 6.16 & 6.17 / Milan - 6.20
  • Options
    There we have it, two sold in a row over $1,100!!!

NUCLEAR!! :lol::lol:
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
  • Options
    There we have it, two sold in a row over $1,100!!!

NUCLEAR!! :lol::lol:

In other words....... BOOM ! ! ! ! ! (GASPAR)

- Uncle Snuffy