sick and sad. From where
the sun stands I will fight
no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    edited August 2013
    I don't use pencils, as I use black ink pens, and for me the PaperMate Profile 1.4 Bold owns all.

Edited for autocorrect.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    unsung wrote:
    I don't use pencils, as I use blank ink pens, and for me the PaperMate Profile 1.4 Bold owns all.
    love me a good pen myself
    i use pencil for many reasons
    i can write while lying in bed
    wehen writing in bed i need 3 or 4 pens
    as one drains the ink away from the tip
    i set that pen down grabbing a fresh one
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    i like skirts the best. :mrgreen:
  • The Ticonderoga is a quality pencil. Doesn't fragment when sharpened and the eraser is good- never leaves smudges.

I go with the Scripto .5mm mechanical. Never stubby and no need to sharpen.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    unsung wrote:
    I don't use pencils, as I use blank ink pens, and for me the PaperMate Profile 1.4 Bold owns all.
    s0219887_sc7?$splssku$
    currently these are resting in my pen jar on my desk
    i use multicolored ink for writing my own stuff & sending out letters & cards

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    The Ticonderoga is a quality pencil. Doesn't fragment when sharpened and the eraser is good- never leaves smudges.

i've never been a lasting user of mechanical pencils. i always wanna keep trying to get into them but i just have no luck. also, buying new refills is a huge pain the ass w/ 149 different varieties & 9 feet of choices similar to the tooth brush aisle

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    The Ticonderoga is a quality pencil. Doesn't fragment when sharpened and the eraser is good- never leaves smudges.

i've never been a lasting user of mechanical pencils. i always wanna keep trying to get into them but i just have no luck. also, buying new refills is a huge pain the ass w/ 149 different varieties & 9 feet of choices similar to the tooth brush aisle

I hear what you are saying with the choices. Just remember your thickness and go with the PaperMate refills.

Once you get on a roll with the mechanical... it's rewarding. There's something to be said for clicking instead of getting up and sharpening.
    chadwick wrote:

I hear what you are saying with the choices. Just remember your thickness and go with the PaperMate refills.

Once you get on a roll with the mechanical... it's rewarding. There's something to be said for clicking instead of getting up and sharpening.
    sounds fun actually

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I love writing with fountain pens. They somehow make my handwriting look more nicely, I tend to write more orderly. Unfortunately, I don't have one right now. I don't like the regular pens a lot, I need to press too hard on the paper with them. So what I'm using is these ball point thingies. I'm a left hander and I noticed that I sometimes have problems using other people's writing utensils, with right-handed owners in particular. The tip of the pen is shaped by it's use, so when I use a ball point pen that belongs to a rightie, my leftie hand has problems writing smoothly with it.
  • I love writing with fountain pens. They somehow make my handwriting look more nicely, I tend to write more orderly. Unfortunately, I don't have one right now. I don't like the regular pens a lot, I need to press too hard on the paper with them. So what I'm using is these ball point thingies. I'm a left hander and I noticed that I sometimes have problems using other people's writing utensils, with right-handed owners in particular. The tip of the pen is shaped by it's use, so when I use a ball point pen that belongs to a rightie, my leftie hand has problems writing smoothly with it.

Don't forget about when your hand is wiping across everything you write... the ink is smeared and the page is ruined.

Dang lefties. :lol:
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I love writing with fountain pens. They somehow make my handwriting look more nicely, I tend to write more orderly. Unfortunately, I don't have one right now. I don't like the regular pens a lot, I need to press too hard on the paper with them. So what I'm using is these ball point thingies. I'm a left hander and I noticed that I sometimes have problems using other people's writing utensils, with right-handed owners in particular. The tip of the pen is shaped by it's use, so when I use a ball point pen that belongs to a rightie, my leftie hand has problems writing smoothly with it.

Don't forget about when your hand is wiping across everything you write... the ink is smeared and the page is ruined.

I learned to avoid this :P 8-) No smearing here!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

This southpaw also suffers from inky-pinkie syndrome :mrgreen:

As for pencils, I love the old-school ones. Something about the smell of them freshly-sharpened, the sound of the lead on paper, turning the tip to shade when drawing...not to mention chewing on them from time to time.

chadwick, you need to get yourself one of them astronaut pens, as featured on Seinfeld :P
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,648
    I recently bought a pen made by TUL- fine point. I think it's a gel pen. Love it! And I love any pencil that made of wood and graphite and smells good when run through the sharpener. Nothing like a good pencil!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    Ugh, I despise fine point pens. They give me that fingernails on the chalkboard feeling.

And yeah I forgot all about those space pens, I had one called a Fisher. You could use it to write upside down.
  • unsung wrote:
    Ugh, I despise fine point pens. They give me that fingernails on the chalkboard feeling.

And yeah I forgot all about those space pens, I had one called a Fisher. You could use it to write upside down.

Agreed on the fine point pen scrawling.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    Ticonderoga is a smooth pencil.

Good choice amigo.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,648
    Speaking of pencils, for certain uses, I like refillable automatic pencils. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a good one that hold up over time. Pentel makes a decent disposable one but once the lead is gone- more plastic trash. :nono:

Anybody found a good, durable refillable automatic pencil out there?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    I like the process of sharpening a real pencil rather than clicking the mechanical pencils. In fact, just bought me a new electric pencil sharpener as my old fashioned crank sharpener doesn't do the job unless you insert it just right (and yes, I'm immature and giggled a bit when I wrote that line - hey! I teach high school kids, if you can't beat em, join em :lol: ). Don't forget about the awesome red Sharpie that is great for grading papers!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Ebony pencils. http://www.prismacolor.com/products/gra ... ony-pencil

They're drawing pencils, started using them when I was a design major before changing my major in college. They've got a really soft tip and just glide across the paper. I despise the mechanical pencils.
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    hedonist wrote:

This southpaw also suffers from inky-pinkie syndrome :mrgreen:

As for pencils, I love the old-school ones. Something about the smell of them freshly-sharpened, the sound of the lead on paper, turning the tip to shade when drawing...not to mention chewing on them from time to time.

chadwick, you need to get yourself one of them astronaut pens, as featured on Seinfeld :P

I knew we could turn this into a train worthy topic. I too have felt the sting of south paw discrimination. In fact, the entire world is geared towards righties and I think the time is nigh to do someting about it. Revolution!
  • Snakeduck wrote:

I knew we could turn this into a train worthy topic. I too have felt the sting of south paw discrimination. In fact, the entire world is geared towards righties and I think the time is nigh to do someting about it. Revolution!

Forget that. You guys suck! :D
  • PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    Handwriting is so 20th century.
    Snakeduck wrote:
    *fist-bump*

First thing I thought of were those damned desks in school - the bane of most of my classes.

Ah, but art class...sitting unfettered at those huge long tables? Freedom!

And chalkboards, oh chalkboards...damn you. Couldn't write legibly on them for shit.
  • Pingfah wrote:

ur :crazy: man.
    Pingfah wrote:
    :mrgreen:

I laugh, but it's sort of true.

I like how actually writing by hand, vs. being able to go back and edit/retype, forces me to take pause and really think about what I want to say before I say it.
  • hedonist wrote:
    Snakeduck wrote:
    *fist-bump*

First thing I thought of were those damned desks in school - the bane of most of my classes.

And chalkboards, oh chalkboards...damn you. Couldn't write legibly on them for shit.

You lefties think you got it soooo rough.

Try being a god-favoured righty eating at a crowded table beside a leftie to your right. Frick, I can't recall the amount of times my elbow has smashed into a lefties elbow as we attempt to shovel food into our mouths at the same time.

Just go sit somewhere else, weirdo. Geez, man.
    hedonist wrote:
    Snakeduck wrote:
    *fist-bump*

So, this is what it's like... when doves cry. I'm wit'cha, sista!

Try being a god-favoured righty eating at a crowded table beside a leftie to your right. Frick, I can't recall the amount of times my elbow has smashed into a lefties elbow as we attempt to shovel food into our mouths at the same time.

Elbow fighting with my right-handed siblings at the dinner trough is how I first trained for my MMA career.
  • Snakeduck wrote:

Elbow fighting with my right-handed siblings at the dinner trough is how I first trained for my MMA career.

There are some advantages to the situation, but it's just kinda annoying. I can recall one time I had carefully managed my plate of lasagna and had worked my way to what was amounting to an unbelievable fork full of a bite. This bite had the perfect balance of baked cheese, regular melted cheese, noodle, and meat sauce. I had just taken the accompanying bite of garlic toast and went to shovel the heaven into my mouth when my goofy lefty buddy knocked my forkful onto my plate and mixed the bite with the rest of the meal.

He left me no choice but to kick his ass. Then we banned him from eating with us anymore. Even doing cheers with beers he buggers things up- you're always getting a premature 'clink' before your glass hits the circle where all the beers 'clink' together. We're considering banning him from cheers.

Maybe PJ will do a lefties only concert one day? Then you guys can go and be left together. It's not a horrible idea.
  • HGKHGK Posts: 94
    Sharpie makes a really nice writing pen.
    I change by not changing