Options

PJ Guitar Pick Giveaway! Support The Troops Awareness

elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,065
edited August 2013 in Lost Dogs
EDIT: Thank you everyone. So many great inspirations and stories shared. The good news is there was more than one winner. The bad news is I don't have enough for everyone. Please please keep on doing what you are doing and inspire others, especially children. Remember, we are only free because of the brave....Thank you
-EV
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've been blessed with lots of love and support from the greatest fans on the planet and the greatest band ever. You guys and PJ!! I've been blessed with so many great experiences and luck that today's a good day to pass some of it back to you.

This fall, sadly will mark our 12th year in Afghanistan and at war. All of us enjoying our daily freedoms are guilty of forgetting that their are brave women and men and their families making ridiculous sacrifices due to still being at war. Heck, my son is 12 years old so that's all he knows as we've been in Afghanistan almost his entire life

So with that said...it doesn't matter how you feel about us being in Afghanistan, these brave women and men and their families need reminders and support they are not forgotten. Less than 1% of the American population serves our country in the Armed Forces. We should recognize that daily and as you enjoy your hot shower, sip your cup of hot coffee or go outside and enjoy a beautiful day where you don't have to worry about anything.

I'm giving away a guitar pick from one of the band's members. It's a mystery guitar pick but it's the real deal. If you win it and already have it, pass it along to someone else who you think deserves it

How do you get a chance to win this guitar pick from me? What do you have to do to qualify for an entry?

State how you support your troops or how you remind your local community to support our troops. Any country qualifies. It could be buying a soldier a milk shake or a cup of coffee after seeing one in uniform. It could be how you donated items here in Lost Dogs to help me fund-raise for Operation Yellow Ribbon of South Jersey. It could be you are a Veteran yourself!! It could be how you made a donation to OYR of SJ or another US Troop support non-profit like The USO or The Wounded Warriors. It could be how you donated to help a soldier bring home and rescue a dog with The SAC Fund (http://www.sacfund.org) or Nowzad (http://www.nowzad.com/). It could be something you want to keep private. Respond here in this thread or send me a PM if you want to keep it private and I will randomly choose a winner in a couple of weeks when I close the thread for responses. Let's see how long the responses come in before this dies down.

That's it. I will ship this guitar pick to the randomly drawn winner anywhere in the world, on me. This is just my way of showing my appreciation to all of you and this band.

This band and all of you are that tree in "Present Tense". I see the way you bend...leaning out to catch the sun's rays. You inspire. A lesson to be applied....

Thanks for all that you give
-EV

PS- also state if you have a guitar pick from a PJ member or more and what they are. I love knowing what picks are out there. Post pics of picks if you can!
Those that don't have 1 pick from the band, say so. You get 2 entries!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    I got a neat/fun story - when in Chicago for the Wrigley show my wife and I went to a fundraiser dinner that was to benefit Folds of Honor. This is a organization started by a veteran and they provide scholarships to families or wounded veterans. Our friend's company paid for the table we sat at, and the seat that I was sitting in was not cheap. A ton of money was raised through an auction, and awareness was raised. Vince Gill even played (the whole thing had a wedding reception feel to it). Felt good to be there and be among people that were giving thousands and thousands of dollars, even though we couldn't give anywhere near that much. And to tie it in one of the sponsors of the dinner was a firm that I believe has some ties to a band member, so that was pretty cool.

I have a Mike pic, the surfer dude, and it was given to me a couple years back by some dude named ElwayVedder :)
  • Options
    cojobocojobo Ontario Posts: 299
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure if other countries/Canadians do this but I always take my hat off when I eat a meal as a sign of respect to our troops
    My grandfather and uncle was (retired now) in the military and always made this point when growing up so now I always do it and ask others at the table with me to do the same - they almost always ask why and we get into a discussion about the military and how thankful we are to be where we are in life :)

*****EDIT- No pick - never even close to getting a pick :) ******
    Post edited by cojobo on
    Halifax '05, Toronto '09, Toronto 2 '11, Hamilton '11, London '13, Chicago '13. Buffalo '13 , Leeds '14, Detroit '14, New York (GCF) '15, Ottawa '16, Toronto 1 '16, Toronto 2 '16
  • Options
    ShortyShorty Ontario Posts: 1,160
    Just donated to Nowzad - via the Canadian Donations link - what a wonderful organization. It's sad that they're experiencing a lack of resources - which typically can be solved with more cash/donations. The cost to rescue an animal from Afghanistan is insane - more donations needed. I always feel more sympathetic to those that are unable to fight for themselves - althought perhaps misguided - animals and children are my weekpoints.

Thanks to Dave for this - and of course - all he does. Every year on my daughter's birthday I write her a letter - that I seal and put away for a later date (perhaps when she gets married - or if I should happen to pass) - she'll get them all - and read about what the past year was like. In the last letter I wrote - I told her that during her lifetime she will likely meet 3-4 people that will inspire her, that she wouldn't be able to find anyone that could say a bad word about them, and that are completely giving without fault. I told her to aspire to be like these kind of people. They're rare - but clearly AWESOME. Dave is one of those 3-4 people in my life. It's one of those situations where I am thankful he is a friend. Thanks Dave.

I already have picks - if I win - I will post in this thread what I intend to do with it.

Cheers,
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • Options
    awesome replies so far everyone!
    Please also don't forget to say if you have guitar picks or not and if so, which ones!
    Remember those that don't have 1 yet get 2 entries for their post to increase their chances of getting one!
    -EV
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    It's not much really but as a manager responsible for hiring new staff I usually give the positions vacant to ex-forces staff. These people come with discipline, determination and really deserve the first chance they get for a return to "normal" life. Nice giveaway man, I've got a lot of respect for what you continue to do here.... :clap:

Oh yeah, and I've got a MM dogs head pick caught by a forum member (Chazz) at the Denmark Forum 07 show... :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    Very awesome of you. I try to donate when I can to coffee drives and other similar donations. More importantly I teach my kids the real meaning behind Memorial Day. It's not just a 3 day weekend. I love the idea of paying for a uniformed service man/ woman's drink or meal if you happen to be in line somewhere. In my occupation, I work with many older veterans. People need to reminisce as they draw nearer the end of their lives. I've had the chance to hear many of their stories of sacrifice and how it affected their entire lives into old age. I always try to lend a listening ear and give my appreciation. When you hear and see these stories and the people behind them you can't help but feel humbled no matter what your political persuasion is.

I have no PJ picks. :D
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Not sure this is what you're looking for, but - Had a friend I met through work, and after I left that job we had a falling out b/c he really kind of screwed me (details not necessary). Years later we ended up back at the same place (I wasn't there when he decided to "clip" me). He was REALLY nervous coming to my office to apologize (he felt terrible. I had heard this through mutual friends). I immediately shook his hand and hugged him and he was shocked (I didn't even let him get the apology out). Dude went to Iraq as a reservist twice, and, I was going to get hung up on what happened 5 years before? We are very good friends once again. He was more than relieved. Good guy. Just made a mistake. Life's too short, and he's one of my heroes.

No PJ Picks, but I do have a Vernon Reid pic :lol:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    pjfan9110pjfan9110 Posts: 145
    Awesome generosity.

My brother is in the army. He's been deployed twice to Afghanistan and is there again. The food is not great over there, so my family is preparing to send lots of little reminders of home (Peanut Butter, Boboli pizzas, ramen, Easy Mac, rice-a-roni, pancake mix, and lots of other snacks) to my brother and his other troops. In addition were sending letters of support to those stationed in the middle east. Regardless of how people feel, our troops need lots of moral support!

Thanks!

No PJ picks.
    1998-06-27 Alpine Valley, WI / 2000-10-08 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-06-21 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-04-26 Mellon Arena, PA / 2004-10-03 Grand Rapids VFC, 2006-05-17 United Center, IL / 2006-06-29 Milwaukee, WI / 2006-06-30 Milwaukke, WI / 2011-09-03 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2011-09-04 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2013-07-19 Wrigley Field / 2014-10-19 St. Paul / 2014-10-20 Milwaukee, WI
  • Options
    pjfan9110 wrote:
    Awesome generosity.

My brother is in the army. He's been deployed twice to Afghanistan and is there again. The food is not great over there, so my family is preparing to send lots of little reminders of home (Peanut Butter, Boboli pizzas, ramen, Easy Mac, rice-a-roni, pancake mix, and lots of other snacks) to my brother and his other troops. In addition were sending letters of support to those stationed in the middle east. Regardless of how people feel, our troops need lots of moral support!

Thanks!

No PJ picks.

cough cough, clearing of throat!! why didn't you say so!!??...it would be our honor to get your brother on our care package list...does he like pearl jam too?
    -EV
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    In honour of Remembrance Day in the UK I got this tattoo.

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 4338_n.jpg
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,902
    Incredible idea.

As the grandson of two WWII vets, I always try to support the troops whenever I can. As a huge baseball fan, I buy the special Stars & Stripes MLB caps on a semi-annual basis (Sorry, the year they were solid red I couldn't do it. Not my color). The proceeds from the caps go to the Welcome Back Veterans Fund. This year, I was lucky enough to win one from @MLB's twitter. In that spirit of giving, I made a straight donation to Welcome Back Veterans when I received my free cap from MLB last month. Going along with the baseball and thanking veterans theme, I was recently on the field before a recent Dodgers game standing nearby the "Veteran of the Game" and his family. I made sure to take a moment and thank him for his service. Whenever I'm at a sporting event and there's a moment to honor veterans, they always get a standing ovation from me and my family.

43396f56-38dc-46e9-bc35-7492587a0f2c_zps407c6cf5.jpg

Link to my tweet thanking MLB: https://twitter.com/kc_douglas/status/3 ... 3031479297

Picks I'm very fortunate enough to have: Ed's Evil Knievel pick, Mike's Backspacer pick, and Jeff's RNDM pick
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    I grew up in a Navy family, my father served for 23 and a half years and as a result I got to spend time in a number of US states(including a great 3 years in Hawaii), Japan, and New Zealand. My plan was to serve and be a pilot but my eyesight is no good, my older brother ended up joining after school and took a job so that he could continue to play with computers while underway. I flew out to San Diego not too long ago to spend a day out at sea in his office:

sub1_zpse3a4e61c.jpg

He was supposed to be my guest for Wrigley but his last cruise was delayed so I ended up setting up another board member here with the ticket. I work at a large airport and get to see all sorts of military types on a very frequent basis. If they need any help at all I try to set them up: food, drinks, get them around long security lines by taking them through the employee lines, etc. I have also had the opportunity to great the Honor Flights when they come into town to take WW2 veterans into DC to see the memorials downtown.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    cojobocojobo Ontario Posts: 299
    **bump for more sharing/stories**
    Halifax '05, Toronto '09, Toronto 2 '11, Hamilton '11, London '13, Chicago '13. Buffalo '13 , Leeds '14, Detroit '14, New York (GCF) '15, Ottawa '16, Toronto 1 '16, Toronto 2 '16
  • Options
    I've been fortunate enough to get a few picks from some really amazing forum members here, so don't enter me for a chance. I am a veteran of the US Navy, and served in Afghanistan for a year as well. Support the troops people. Thanks Dave for continuing to be a reminder to us all that there are still selfless people in the world, operating to benefit the lives of others instead of ones self. You are a true class act.

Bump to the top!
    "I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as Josh Homme"
  • Options
    jeff2040jeff2040 Des Moines, IA Posts: 1,591
    While at Wrigley, I got lucky and only waited in line for 30-45 minutes for the merch tents. I bought a shirt for myself and a shirt for another member, 2 posters, 1 flag, 2 pennants, 1 pack of cards, and 6 stickers. I gave 3 of the stickers to other board members and kept 2 for myself but I still had 1 sticker and 1 pennant left. I asked my brothers if either one wanted the pennant and they said "no" so I didn't know what to do with the extra pennant and sticker. I was reading through a thread about Wrigley merchandise and a board member posted that he was a huge Cubs fan (like myself) but he couldn't go to the show because he was just getting back from his deployment from overseas. When I saw his post I knew exactly what to do with my extra Wrigley pennant and sticker. I sent him a PM telling him I would ship it to him for free and I just needed his address. I told him "thanks for your service" but he couldn't get over the fact that a "complete stranger" would send him stuff for free. I've had it done for me so I was just paying it forward.

P.S. I don't have any picks from the band so I would love to get my hands on one to put in a poster frame with a poster and ticket stub.

Jeff
    Sometimes you find yourself
    Having to put all your faith
    In no faith
  • Options
    cojobo wrote:
    **bump for more sharing/stories**

only proves my point that we are numb to being at war and the sacrifices our brave and their families make. About 36 hours in and just a handful of replies and a few hundred thread views.

Thanks for all that replied. You made my day seeing your stories!
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Inspired by 'elwayvedder's' work, my family and I have sent care packages to Australian troops serving OS.

If you stick to parcel size and weight limits and hand parcel over the counter at an Australia Post outlet, the govt will cover postage costs.

Details at http://www.defence.gov.au/christmas/mail/

You don't have to know who you're sending to, and it doesn't have to be Xmas (the govt will still cover your postage any time of year) just go to it Aussie!
  • Options
    It's not much, but, as a teacher at the intermediate level (gr. 7,8) in the senior school in my small Canadian town, I take charge of coordinating the Remembrance Day assembly at the school. We connect with veterans at the local Legion, and do our best to pay honourable respects to veterans, especially locals. Additionally, and most difficult to take is our annual slideshow featuring those members of those who have sacrificed their lives in service over the past year. During this important assembly, I feel our youth is most connected to the sacrifices so many have given to protect their freedom. I am never disappointed by their respect and compassion. Also, throughout the year, in writing and history classes, this message is at the forefront. I've encouraged my classes to write open letters of thanks to our troops currently overseas. This has been the most rewarding - when responses come, it really hits home about how a little support can go a long way.

Cheers, and your promotion and support are much appreciated reminders that these things shouldn't be once or twice a year reminders on special days.

P.S. I have no picks, but have been attending shows since 1992!
    Barrie, Ontario 08-05-1992 x Toronto, Ontario 08-18-1993
    Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 x Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000
    Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 x Toronto, Ontario 05-10-2006
    Toronto, Ontario 08-13-2008 (Ed Solo) x Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009
    Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 x Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Buffalo, NY 10-12-2013 x Ottawa, Ontario 05-08-2016
    Ottawa, Ontario 09-03-2022
  • Options
    rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 976
    I try to bump your Yellow Ribbon threads whenever I see them. One, to support the troops and two, because you're a good dude.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20 (Canceled)
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20 (Canceled)
    Indianapolis, IN - 9/10/23 (Canceled)
  • Options
    rbrum7 wrote:
    I try to bump your Yellow Ribbon threads whenever I see them. One, to support the troops and two, because you're a good dude.

awe, thanks old friend. Sadly, this thread is dead (Zed's dead? Zed's dead baby" - ha, love that movie)...

Anyway, I'm shutting her down. thanks to all the special stories, replies, and bumps etc. Wish I had a prize for everyone in this thread or those that sent me special, personal PMs. All great stories. Please continue to do what you do to support your brave women and men defending our freedoms. Please inspire others to do so too...Whatever we do, it's never enough.
    -EV
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    Had a nice suprise in my mailbox today. Thanks so much elwayvedder! You made my day!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Had a nice surprise in my mailbox today. Thanks so much elwayvedder! You made my day!

Awesome! Enjoy! You deserve it! Just prooves that if you keep on charging, good things come your way :)

I wish I had enough to go around for everyone who replied or pm'd for this thread....

Let's see if anyone else gets a nice surprise soon :)
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    I got involved with the yellow ribbon foundation thru elwayvedder, and think its great for what you do for everyone deployed!! I've never served in the military and take my freedom for granted cause I've never seen the things our soldiers see or do for us to have our freedom! I am a member of the sons of the American leigon and we do all kinds of things for our local vets and present military family's in need, its really a great feeling to help out those in need! But everywhere there are vets that need much care medical care that can't get help cause of this or that and it completely sucks! But I thank our vets every chance I get!! Every memorial day and veterans I help a group that we put up flags up in the cemetary and all over the town! But as for the picks, I had a mccready palm tree pick that you gave me when I first joined and I loved it! But I passed it on to another member that recently joined and he was super stoked to get it.....I just told him that after sometime he had to pass it to another member for them to enjoy it!!! But great thread, don't put me into the giveaway!!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    juddboz80 wrote:
    I got involved with the yellow ribbon foundation thru elwayvedder, and think its great for what you do for everyone deployed!! I've never served in the military and take my freedom for granted cause I've never seen the things our soldiers see or do for us to have our freedom! I am a member of the sons of the American leigon and we do all kinds of things for our local vets and present military family's in need, its really a great feeling to help out those in need! But everywhere there are vets that need much care medical care that can't get help cause of this or that and it completely sucks! But I thank our vets every chance I get!! Every memorial day and veterans I help a group that we put up flags up in the cemetary and all over the town! But as for the picks, I had a mccready palm tree pick that you gave me when I first joined and I loved it! But I passed it on to another member that recently joined and he was super stoked to get it.....I just told him that after sometime he had to pass it to another member for them to enjoy it!!! But great thread, don't put me into the giveaway!!

Thanks Judd for all that you give! I won't put you in because the giveaway is over LOL...
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 474
    Nice idea~

I have a few close friends that got shipped over to Iraq back in the late 90's and stayed through the early 2000's. Monthly, I'd get the office folks to gather some things off my friends' want lists including current magazines and newspapers, wet wipes, sunglasses, and DVD's. A few other things requested were baseball cards and other little things to give the local kids. They were always on our minds and in our hearts. Plectrums only mean something to me if I get them at or during a show and I have plenty~ If I were to be selected I'd ask you to donate it over to Laura at Wishlist. Thanks~
  • Options
    pjfan9110pjfan9110 Posts: 145
    I just got the pick in the mail!! completely made my day. Thanks so much EV for the pick, but more importantly thank you for your generosity and giving spirit in supporting our troops! cheers to you!
    1998-06-27 Alpine Valley, WI / 2000-10-08 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-06-21 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-04-26 Mellon Arena, PA / 2004-10-03 Grand Rapids VFC, 2006-05-17 United Center, IL / 2006-06-29 Milwaukee, WI / 2006-06-30 Milwaukke, WI / 2011-09-03 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2011-09-04 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2013-07-19 Wrigley Field / 2014-10-19 St. Paul / 2014-10-20 Milwaukee, WI