Options

Hey PJ, WTF is this brain-dead policy?

ndv180ndv180 Posts: 80
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Per order of the band - No Binoculars!

I tried to enter the gig around 7PM in the event that there was going to be a preset. After getting my ticket scanned and as they're about to pat me down, I'm told I can't enter with my binoculars. I asked where on the ticket does it say that and they told me that it was not their policy, but Pearl Jam's. I was told this by several other event staff personnel.

My two options where to throw them in the trash or walk the mile and a half (each way) to where I parked and put them back in the car (these were a little too large to hide in my pants). I did the latter, all the while seething at what was happening and I almost got hit by a car near Fanuiel Hall (the band would've been named in the lawsuit). I couldn't wrap my brain around why such a policy was in place and why it would be at the directive of the band. I'm still totally perplexed by it. I'd really like to know the reasoning behind this policy. Until then, I don't know when I'll be able to put this behind me. It can't be for safety because all it did was make me a danger to society for a while.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    That totally sucks.....
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,418
    Was not a prob at
    albany
    hartford
    chi 1 & 2

ndv180 wrote:

I tried to enter the gig around 7PM in the event that there was going to be a preset. After getting my ticket scanned and as they're about to pat me down, I'm told I can't enter with my binoculars. I asked where on the ticket does it say that and they told me that it was not their policy, but Pearl Jam's. I was told this by several other event staff personnel.

My two options where to throw them in the trash or walk the mile and a half (each way) to where I parked and put them back in the car (these were a little too large to hide in my pants). I did the latter, all the while seething at what was happening and I almost got hit by a car near Fanuiel Hall (the band would've been named in the lawsuit). I couldn't wrap my brain around why such a policy was in place and why it would be at the directive of the band. I'm still totally perplexed by it. I'd really like to know the reasoning behind this policy. Until then, I don't know when I'll be able to put this behind me. It can't be for safety because all it did was make me a danger to society for a while.
  • Options
    Abner11Abner11 Posts: 67
    I overheard the lobby security guy at night I (right at the top of the escalators, but before you actually got your ticket scanned) say this when asked by someone trying to get a small pair of binoculars in: "I guess they don't want people swinging them around because I guess some knucklehead swinging binoculars around clocked somebody in the face ." I have no idea where this alleged incident occurred, or how truthful it was, only stating what I heard.
    10/96 Hartford, 9/98 Hartford, 7/03 Mansfield I, 9/04 Boston I, 5/06 Boston I (Best crowd to date)
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    should have asked to see the head of Pearl Jam's security staff to verify that what they were feeding you was true...
  • Options
    I saw lots of people with binoculars.

i doubt it was the band's policy- on stuff like that, you'll see the venue blaming the band and the band blaming the venue (not just pearl jam, I mean in general).
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I suspect that some venues blame their policies on the band thinking that we'll be less likely to argue with them. In Detroit I wasn't allowed to bring in my Ben Harper messenger bag because of a "band" policy regarding purses or bags over a certain size. Never mind that I've been to 5 previous shows over two years with that very same bag and it wasn't a problem anywhere else.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    should have asked to see the head of Pearl Jam's security staff to verify that what they were feeding you was true...

Didn't think of that (not that they would've went and got them anyway). I think they were telling me the truth (not that I wasn't suspicious). There were several who told me the same thing and they weren't near each other (including the guy at the bottom of the escalator. I accused him of being on crack.).
  • Options

i doubt it was the band's policy- on stuff like that, you'll see the venue blaming the band and the band blaming the venue (not just pearl jam, I mean in general).

If they were small enough, I would've just stuffed them in my pants and went to another entrance (they put special mark on my ticket for re-entry).

Probably not going to happen, but I'd like to see a representative from the band come into this thread and either state that it is not their policy or provide a reason for the policy.
  • Options
    PearlJamBobPearlJamBob Posts: 77
    that sucks, but your comment about naming the band in the lawsuit is ridiculous
    PearlJamBob
    9/29/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/8/98, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 11/14/02, 4/28/03, 4/30/03, 5/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options

That was completely hypothetical if I'd gotten hit by that car on my way to my own car.
  • Options
    Anybody that thinks this can't possibly be a policy of the band, I suggest you check out post #113 in the "policies for the 2006 tour" sticky thread in the "Porch" forum.
  • Options
    I brought binocculars in no problem. I even showed it to the security guy beacuse he asked me what it was in my pocket.
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options

Go see Tims (Rubysdad) camera policy thread on the Porch (its a sticky). It says right there no Binoculars. Dunno why that is, but its the bands wishes.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    whatevermanwhateverman Posts: 71
    THATS NO SHIT
    Rapid City 98
  • Options
    Go see Tims (Rubysdad) camera policy thread on the Porch (its a sticky). It says right there no Binoculars. Dunno why that is, but its the bands wishes.

If you look at post #113 in the thread you'll see that it was just added to the list yesterday (2 days after I was not allowed to bring them in).

I think it certainly deserves an explanation as to why it is now a policy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PearlJamBob

With regards to this, all I meant was that if I got hit by a car because I was in a place I never would've been because of a policy that was never posted anywhere and probably never enforced at any ticketed event in the history of ticketed events, I would've had to have named the band in any hypothetical lawsuit. It's not rocket surgery.
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    i hate the fact that the first thing people think of in accidents is a law suit

great society
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Abner11 wrote:
    I overheard the lobby security guy at night I (right at the top of the escalators, but before you actually got your ticket scanned) say this when asked by someone trying to get a small pair of binoculars in: "I guess they don't want people swinging them around because I guess some knucklehead swinging binoculars around clocked somebody in the face ." I have no idea where this alleged incident occurred, or how truthful it was, only stating what I heard.

This is the story I was given in Cleveland when they would not let me take my binoculars in. They didn't even care that there was no strap on them which would make swinging them around impossible to do.

Nice to see that the policy has been posted an entire week after it was put into place.
  • Options
    get 20,000 people together and you get idiots who can make anything a weapon. Chances are you are not but other people are, especially now with all the meatheads and juicemonkeys coming back to the shows beacause Pj is "popular" again. Anyways you are at a Rock Concert not a bird watching sanctuary.

"Oh my Gawd!, did you know Mike has a dimple on his chin!"

"No way, I gotta see this!"

Oh! Look at Stone's plaid pants!"

ect. ect. ect....
  • Options
    mojamommojamom Posts: 8
    ndv180 wrote:

Option #3: Choose a hiding spot and stash them like my friend did. We picked them up after the show...
    05/03/03 State College, 07/12/03 Hershey, 09/28-29/04 Boston 1 & 2, 10/01/04 Reading, 10/08/04 Kissimee, 10/03/05 Philly, 5/12/06 Albany, 5/13/06 Hartford, 5/27/06 Camden , 5/28/06 Camden, 5/30/06 DC, 6/19-20/08 Camden 1 & 2, 6/22/08 DC
  • Options
    That policy is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I brought binoculars to Hartford and Boston and no one was killed.

I'm also legally blind. Have they considered that factor?
  • Options
    That policy is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I brought binoculars to Hartford and Boston and no one was killed.

I'm also legally blind. Have they considered that factor?

I have crowd surfed and no one was hurt as far as I know. That doesn't change the fact that some idiot could hurt someone by swinging around or fist pumping their binoculars. The security can't tell just be looking who will or won't accidentally hurt someone with all the crap they bring into the venue. Plus being in america not only could/would someone sue the person who hit them with the binoculars etc. but also the venue and the band could possibly be held liable. It's sad but nowadays you have to cover your ass.

Anyways like I said before, it's a rock concert you are their for the music not to see what they are wearing!
  • Options
    I have crowd surfed and no one was hurt as far as I know. That doesn't change the fact that some idiot could hurt someone by swinging around or fist pumping their binoculars.

And someone can't do that with a camera or some other unbanned object?? Yet camera's are allowed.

Like I said earlier in this thread. I only became a danger to society after I was refused admittance with the binoculars (I wanted to break things!).
    Anyways like I said before, it's a rock concert you are their for the music not to see what they are wearing!

If someone wants to bring in binoculars, it's not for you to judge their motives. Maybe the band should just play behind a curtain. Since, according to you, there's no need to see them.
  • Options
    ndv180 wrote:
    And someone can't do that with a camera or some other unbanned object?? Yet camera's are allowed.

Absolutely could. Some dude could take one of the floor chairs and go wwf on everyone around him but obviously we can't remove the chairs. same with cameras, some security are pretty harsh with what cameras are allowed and some could care less. It's entirely possible that another security guy would have let you in without a second look. What I am saying is that I understand the reasoning why binoculars might be banned.
    ndv180 wrote:
    Like I said earlier in this thread. I only became a danger to society after I was refused admittance with the binoculars (I wanted to break things!).

I guess then we should always give you your way then!
    ndv180 wrote:
    If someone wants to bring in binoculars, it's not for you to judge their motives. Maybe the band should just play behind a curtain. Since, according to you, there's no need to see them.

I am not judging your motives, accidents can and do happen. I dont see the point in standing and gawking through binoculars. How far back are your seats?
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976

exactly. someone also quoted a kat post saying the same. it is new for this tour, don't know what prompted the change...but yes, it does suck. i haven't brought binoculars to a show since pj in 2003, but using my own 10C # for the first time since 2003, binoculars would come in handy. :o:p so rather sad i won't be able to even sneak a peek at any of the boys faces on 06/03. :(
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    These are my binoculars. The one on top, not the one with the compass:
    http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/binoculars/marine/392.html

I am an avid boater. They originally retailed at US $1299 but I got them for $750. They are unbelievable. There are no adjustments. Just put them over your eyes. The little rubber cups fit over your eyes and the field of view is amazing. They pick up light at night. You can see things at night. I took them to Robert Plant at the Greek Theatre. My seats were far back but with these things, it was like watching a DVD. To the guy who commented about not caring whether or not you see, the bootleg program might be a nice cheap alternative to buying concert tickets. For me, and I think I speak for most people, the ability to see the performers is a requirement at a concert. My number is 6 digit beginning with 25. At Irvine, 03, my 10c seats were far back and these Binoculars made a huge difference. I was planning to bring these. I can't sneak them in. I could say I was Johnny "Wadd" Holmes and stick them in my pants but everybody knows he's dead.

This, to me seems very arbitrary. I can't think of a reason for the policy. I am really curious why; what the reasoning is behind it. Maybe then, I'll understand.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    It is a strong possiblity that people would go ape shit during the show and start swinging the binoculars over their head by the strap.

Better safe than sorry. Stop swinging your binoculars around people.
    96 Hartford
    98 NJ, Hartford, NY 2
    00 Boston 1-2, Jones Beach 1-2-3
    03 B'ham, Philly, Uniondale, Boston 2, NY 1-2, Hershey
    04 Boston 2, Kissimmee
    05 Borgata 2, Philly
    06 SNL, Ed Sullivan, Hartford, NJ 2
    10 MSG 1-2
    11 Beacon 1-2 (Ed)
    12 Amsterdam 1-2, Berlin 1-2, Copenhagen
    12 Amsterdam 2 (Ed)
    14 Amsterdam 1,2 Vienna, Berlin
  • Options
    could have something to do with the newly added lasers at the shows...
    I noticed several times they were hitting in the crowd in the upper level...if someone caught one of those in binoculars, that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen
    03: Toronto
    04: Toledo
    05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Quebec City, St. John's 1 & 2
    06: Toronto 1 & 2, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    07: London, Dusseldorf
    08: Tampa
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,519
    I have never seen someone using binoculars at a concert, that would look pretty funny :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    could have something to do with the newly added lasers at the shows...
    I noticed several times they were hitting in the crowd in the upper level...if someone caught one of those in binoculars, that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen

I don't know what is so hard about providing a reason for the policy. I've sent two emails to 10C asking for an explanation (if I ever get one, I'd drop the whole subject). I received a response to the first email that was totally ambiguous with no explanation for the policy. It did say that they were sorry if I was inconvenienced. A couple of hours after I received that response, the policy thread was updated with the "no Binoculars" notice (on Sat May 27). I sent a follow-up email on Sunday, again asking for the reason behind the policy and have not received an answer.
  • Options
    KMK182KMK182 Posts: 16
    ndv180 wrote:

There was a sign posted at Camden that said a long list of things you couldn't take it including binoculars, blankets, and AUDIO RECORDERS. I think it said "per order of the band," but I could be confusing that with the "No Moshing" sign. I saw plenty of people with all of the above though, and even a few people with bottles and cans of beer as they didn't pat you down very well. So I guess it depends how well they want to carry it out.
    05.28.06: Camden
    05.27.06: Camden
    10.03.05: Philly
    10.01.04: Reading
    07.12.03: Hershey
    04.26.03: Pittsburgh