Share your Wrigley Weekend moments here!!

kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I had an absolute blast this past weekend. What I learned and experienced.

- 1,423.4 miles from PA to Chicago and back isn't that tough of a drive.
- AfroAnnnie is absolutely frightened of my Chicago rush hour driving.
- Zoso is apparently not a real Aussie. Unlost: "I haven't heard him say 'mate' once yet!"
- Come Back Girl is shrinking.
- Don't cut lines in front of 10 Clubbers. They get testy, and rightfully so (Sidenote: Bravo all the 10 Clubbers who banded together on Waveland by putting up gates to block people from cutting. Well done).
- Who rocked the hardest at the show? A 10-year-old girl sitting next to us in the upper deck. She put most of the audience -- who were dead asleep -- to shame.
- The 10-year-old girl also had the cutest quote of the night. After the band left the stage following the first full set after the rain delay, she turns to us and asks "It's just a break, right?!" Absolutely relieved when we told her, yes, Pearl Jam is coming back for many more songs.
- Fun fact: Speedy knows every bartender and waitress in Chicago. Only half of them are terrified of him.
- Never follow bus directions from Dissident Man.
- It's crazy meeting someone from the boards IRL and finding out they are completely different in person -- in a good way. #FHP
- Discussion of German politics and world affairs is too much for me after an 11-hour drive and several beers.
- Cav left the booty shorts at home, but he still brought lots of uncomfortably long hugs.
- Speaking of uncomfortable hugs, I fear my PJ20 backpack has lost its innocence thanks to an awkward morning moment it shared with a certain backpack-obsessed board member ...
- No one took toast away from me this time, but I had to wait 20 minutes for water. 20 minutes!!

What fun stories do you have to share?
"Where's KW?"
"Let's check Idaho."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    kw18 wrote:
    I had an absolute blast this past weekend. What I learned and experienced.

- 1,423.4 miles from PA to Chicago and back isn't that tough of a drive.
    - AfroAnnnie is absolutely frightened of my Chicago rush hour driving.
    - Zoso is apparently not a real Aussie. Unlost: "I haven't heard him say 'mate' once yet!"
    - Come Back Girl is shrinking.
    - Don't cut lines in front of 10 Clubbers. They get testy, and rightfully so (Sidenote: Bravo all the 10 Clubbers who banded together on Waveland by putting up gates to block people from cutting. Well done).
    - Who rocked the hardest at the show? A 10-year-old girl sitting next to us in the upper deck. She put most of the audience -- who were dead asleep -- to shame.
    - The 10-year-old girl also had the cutest quote of the night. After the band left the stage following the first full set after the rain delay, she turns to us and asks "It's just a break, right?!" Absolutely relieved when we told her, yes, Pearl Jam is coming back for many more songs.
    - Fun fact: Speedy knows every bartender and waitress in Chicago. Only half of them are terrified of him.
    - Never follow bus directions from Dissident Man.
    - It's crazy meeting someone from the boards IRL and finding out they are completely different in person -- in a good way. #FHP
    - Discussion of German politics and world affairs is too much for me after an 11-hour drive and several beers.
    - Cav left the booty shorts at home, but he still brought lots of uncomfortably long hugs.
    - Speaking of uncomfortable hugs, I fear my PJ20 backpack has lost its innocence thanks to an awkward morning moment it shared with a certain backpack-obsessed board member ...
    - No one took toast away from me this time, but I had to wait 20 minutes for water. 20 minutes!!

What fun stories do you have to share?

It was painful to watch that 20-minute water wait. If I had known that's all you wanted, I would've gladly gone to the bodega across the street and bought you a bottle.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    dankind wrote:

It was painful to watch that 20-minute water wait. If I had known that's all you wanted, I would've gladly gone to the bodega across the street and bought you a bottle.

And it happened twice! Once in the bar, and then after the show at a dinner. :fp:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    chicks pissing on ivy is sort of hot.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    We had such a blast this weekend!
    Another wonderful moment from the weekend...

After waiting from about 9:30 -2 on Friday morning/afternoon for merch, kw & I began the trek back to our hotel, or at least to a place that we could find some kind of lunch and a little A/C..and we ran into our friend Frank... who we actually bumped into on our way to the merch line..(Frank had been there since 4 am for a sweet GA spot)...anyway we start talking about the fall tour and what shows we are going to and we mention that we're looking for tix for Woostah...and just like that Frank offers us his extras :mrgreen: This community constantly amazes me...it really made our day! :D Then to top it off, as the show begins, we see Frank & his mohawk rocking out on the rail...we were so happy that he made it to the front after getting in line at 4 am! :mrgreen:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    81 asked me who the fuck I was.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind wrote:

when did i do this? wait...were you the guy with the white t shirt and floppy hat?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    dankind wrote:

when did i do this? wait...were you the guy with the white t shirt and floppy hat?

Could have been. I was wearing a Red Sox bucket hat. No idea what shirt I was wearing. It was near the door to The Full Shilling.

It being a bucket hat, Dman and I exchanged some ugly looks before becoming better acquainted. I explained to him that it was a strategic fashion choice on my part to build up initial animosity in order to avoid an earlier threat of a bro hug (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=205273&p=4944916&hilit=hug#p4944916).

I got to thank Dimitris in person twice (once at Sluggers on Thursday and once in the pit on Friday) for the Copenhagen print he sent me a few months back.

It was great to meet so many of you, including but not limited to the aforementioned folks, unlost dogs, Leezestarr313, Caveeze, afroannnie, kw18, Mamasan23 and DS1119. I hope to see you all again down the road.

Also, my concert buddy for the evening, carly316, was an awesome woman, and her husband should get get all kinds of good lovin' for waiting around Wrigleyville till after 2 a.m. to get her home safely. We rocked out GA like nobody's business, but we may have been shown up by a kid on his dad's shoulders, who was just stoked beyond imagination. This little boy was singing along to every song -- even "MYM." That kid and his dad kicked so much ass.

Woot!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    :lol::lol::lol:

i think i heard dan and nothing else clicked....but it was nice to meet you, if only for a moment.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:

i think i heard dan and nothing else clicked....but it was nice to meet you, if only for a moment.

Likewise. If you're serious about making it to Brooklyn, and it works out for you, give me a holler.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,082
    during the rain delay, while i was talking to an usher i got my merch stolen. field section s. bastards...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    during the rain delay, while i was talking to an usher i got my merch stolen. field section s. bastards...

Oh ... ouch. That sucks, dude. No one saw anything?
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:

no, the staff was worthless. these are the same people who told us that the show was canceled.

kw18 wrote:

no, the staff was worthless. these are the same people who told us that the show was canceled.

:fp:

Awful.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:

Awful.
    it happens. i was stupid for turning my back for 2 minutes. if that is the worst thing to happen, then it is still a good weekend.

it did not ruin my trip though. i ended up standing in line again and re-purchasing everything.

i figured it was money i was going to end up spending on cabs, booze, food, gas, etc anyway. i regrouped for a mega saturday night though :lol:

kw18 wrote:

Awful.
    it happens. i was stupid for turning my back for 2 minutes. if that is the worst thing to happen, then it is still a good weekend.

it did not ruin my trip though. i ended up standing in line again and re-purchasing everything.

i figured it was money i was going to end up spending on cabs, booze, food, gas, etc anyway. i regrouped for a mega saturday night though :lol:

Glad to hear that incident didn't ruin your trip, and it's great to hear you could still get the merch you wanted.

Shame you had less booze money though. :lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    kw18 wrote:

Awful.

I'm thinking Saturday night was probably the highlight for me too :)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I'm thinking Saturday night was probably the highlight for me too :)
    very cool :)

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    -Wheels Down in Chi-town!

-Boat traffic in the Chicago Lock

-Celebrations of Colombia's Independence include upside down flags haphazardly hung off to the side of the pier

-Eyeball forceps

-Yea what kind of idiot tries to hail a cab on Lakeshore? :oops:

-Getting soaked and wrigley field mud on my shoes/watching the group singing PJ songs in the rain/trying to catch raindrops to drink since no one would sell me water

-Walking through the Hyatt's swanky lobby in my PJs

-Eating in a $200 dinner-for-two steakhouse wearing a Doctor Who T-shirt

-Descartes coffee

-Shortcut across the stage!

-"These are not Irish beans. Irish beans come out of a can."

-"Yes, this IS the line for 7-Eleven. Which is why I'm waiting on it, cuz I've never seen a line for 7-Eleven in my life!"

-Express tour of the Art Institute/Seeing Van Gogh paintings IRL after falling in love with Tony Curran as Van Gogh

-Cinnamon Roasted Nuts

-"If you donate I promise I'll be quiet"

-Seeing a guy walk buy wearing a Wrigley shirt outside of LGA.

8-):D
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    better than i thought it would be :lol:

great to see some old faces, and meet some new faces...missed a few faces that i would have liked to have met.

loved the rain delay.....that was defiantly the best part of show...it was cool to be able to just free roam in right field during the delay. the wait in the tunnel was pretty fun too. :lol:

big thanks to DS (am i allowed to say that here. :roll: ) for offering me his ticket friday morning......you are a fuckin nuts to attend a concert with :lol::lol::lol::lol: good times tho.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    - The best pre-parties for me to this date - Thursday night at Sluggers was wonderful! My first ever live-experienced soundcheck witnessing Cav and unlost dancing to Off he goes was just plain awesome. There was no awkward moment at the party whatsoever! Even the talk about politics in the smoker's corner was fun :lol: We got home buzzed, but with beaming smiles :D And the Full Shilling was even more lovely!
    - Female PJ fans are hot and lovable!
    - Half pints are very polite and truly nice!
    - Dissidentman is a George Clooney lookalike
    - 81 is a good egg, as well as Speedy and Dimi
    - I love my Cav :mrgreen:
    - There are lots of transvestites out there at night around Wrigley Field on a weekend. And they all are something to behold!

Loved every minute of the weekend, thanks to you wonderful people that I got to know on these fine forums. Smooches to all of you! (I noticed that I gave many kisses on cheeks, I don't know why, but it might have to do with the fact that I kind of miss my girly girl friends and all of the fine ladies that I met reminded me of them. HUGE hugs to you!)

When can we repeat that?!?
    - Female PJ fans are hot and lovable!

That's a fact!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i looked
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    Just remembered this: while standing in line for beer during the delay someone walked by asked about my shirt then asked who I was, I told them. They said " no offense, "you kinda look like an ass hole in person too!" :lol::lol:

I took no offense. :?
    Just remembered this: while standing in line for beer during the delay someone walked by asked about my shirt then asked who I was, I told them. They said " no offense, "you kinda look like an ass hole in person too!" :lol::lol:

I took no offense. :?

wow.....they nailed that one on the head :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    This has nothing to do with the show, but our trip: In Niagara Falls, we were walking around trying to decide where to eat, went into the Ruth Chris Steak house, got a table, looked at the menu and starting laughing our butts off - $69 dollars for a steak?!?! and that was just for the meat! $32 for a side of potatos!! We got up and left, laughing. Then, in Cleveland Saturday night, I had the best filet ever, for $29.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    This has nothing to do with the show, but our trip: In Niagara Falls, we were walking around trying to decide where to eat, went into the Ruth Chris Steak house, got a table, looked at the menu and starting laughing our butts off - $69 dollars for a steak?!?! and that was just for the meat! $32 for a side of potatos!! We got up and left, laughing. Then, in Cleveland Saturday night, I had the best filet ever, for $29.

Ruth's ain't cheap
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Ruth's ain't cheap

can't be that great. couple of chumps in there trying to impress, that was funny too.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I remember meeting Rick, which made me giddy as a schoolgirl.

I vaguely remember spending 8 hours in a bowling ally without bowling a single frame.

I think SPEEDY and I are in a common law marriage we spent so much time together. It will be easy to remember our anniversary date at least.
    I remember meeting Rick, which made me giddy as a schoolgirl.

I vaguely remember spending 8 hours in a bowling ally without bowling a single frame.

I think SPEEDY and I are in a common law marriage we spent so much time together. It will be easy to remember our anniversary date at least.

Giddy?, it left me speechless....

and you are too late, SPEEDY and I consumated Wednesday night. I think..... :think: ok, there may have been a bottle of Jameson's involved... might have to consult with Mamasan on this
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    edited July 2013
    Thurs - long day of travel from Los Angeles to Midway, then 2 trains to Wrigley, a train back to the loop, then the walk to the Hyatt....had luggage with us the entire journey. After a bit of rest, we went to dinner at the Weber Grill.

Friday - went to venue at 9am to wait for merch....waited for hours, then went back to hotel to rest/regroup. Grabbed some food and got to venue at 5:15. Grabbed ouR merch, and went to our seats, which afforded us some good people watching since we were right next to VIP area. Watched the clock move until they finally came on about 8:20. Once the field evacuation was announced, we finally ended-up in the concourse, and spent some quality time with a few boardies. Saw the rest of the show, then undertook our adventure to get back to hotel.

Sat - breakfast at Wildberry, some much-needed rest afterwards, then went to the Pitchfork Festival for a few hours...we were well knackered, so we headed back to our room. Too tired to dine out, so we had a pizza party in our room. Early to sleep!

Sun - friend picked us up to go to Whitesox game...always nice to explore a baseball stadium! Went to Navy Pier (whole lot of nothing there!) and took a boat ride on the lake. Came back to room, then went for a steak at Bennys Chophouse.

Mon, breakfast at Wildberry again, then took the Architectural tour on the river. Grabbed some Garretts popcorn, had a late lunch, then got the train to Midway.
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on