Options

My Pearl Jam Canada Trip....AMAZING

DeadmanwalkingDeadmanwalking Seattle Posts: 42
edited September 2005 in Given To Fly (live)
So this was it, the pinnacle. Scott and I went up to Canada to see Pearl Jam play in Montreal and then in Ottawa. We got into town only to find that the boys were staying down the block from us. We went there during the day before the show and met the entire band. I talked with Eddie for a bit and talked with Mike for about a half hour. We asked Mike if he could bring us guitar picks after the show, he said "sure, if I remember" I also invited him to come play at our Halloween party...which he said yes, jokingly. Talking to Mike was like talking to an old friend, we talked about record stores in NYC, music and things that we love about PJ. To me he is the greatest guitarist I have ever heard (and Tom Morello)
The show in Montreal was nothing less than amazing, blasting a 2 hour & 20 min set. We got back to the hotel, Mike came thru with one pick. At 1:30 am Eddie came back and we started talking to him, Topics ranging from the Ramones, surfing, music documentarys & movies, The Who, Death Cab for Cutie, and the new PJ album. Hearing Eddie talk about the new album, he was just so excited.
Most of you that know me well know how much I look up to him and the band and this was just amazing. I noticed he was smoking American Spirits (just like my brother Jon smokes) so I said, "hey you smoke spirits, cool" In which Eddie offered me a cigarette, so I obliged (how often does Eddie Vedder offer one of his cigs up) So I smoked a cig with Eddie. FUCK YEAH! So at about 2:30 he finished his last cigarette and started to say goodnight to us. I thanked him for the 13 years of music he gave me and told him that I couldn't wait until tomorrows show (Ottawa), he asked me and Scott if we had any requests and I said "Red Mosquito", Scott said "Immortality". I shook Eddie's hand and thanked him again in which he replied, "no, Thank you, I respect you very much" Holy shit, thats it I can die now, I was speechless.
The next day we made our way to Ottawa in the rain, but nothing was going to stop us. We got to the arena & picked up the tix & waited for the doors to open. I managed to buy an extra second row seat on the floor on Mike's side of the stage. I instantly offered to buy it which I did and apologized to Scott , but this is my favortie band and I have never been that close to them in concert.
The show started as Eddie came out to do a solo song (Last Kiss) before Sleater-Kinney came on but nothing could prepare for what was in store for me and Scott. 8:50 PJ came on and opened with a great old B-Side "wash". Mike noticed me during the first song and kept pointing to me and posing for photos. About 5-6 songs into the set Immortality was played and after they finished Eddie said "ok we're just fufilling some requests here" AMAZING Scott got his song....he got his fucking song. So the night went on as they played their asses off, Mike continued to point and pose and threw me a pick, but someone else got it. During the 2nd encore they played Alive and Mike came out to the crowd to play. He came out about 4 feet to the left of where I was and on his way back he stopped right in front of me and I held out my fist and he reciprocated with a pound (i hope you know what that means) and this was in front of 17,000 people. AMAZING. This is one of the biggest bands in the world and they take their time to acknowledge their fans in ways no other band does. The show was about 3 hours long and had some of the most amazing versions of some classic songs.
The show ended , my friend from Montreal Robert from Montreal got Eddies Tamborine after they played Rockin' in the Free world and me and Scott left to go back to Montreal. Montreal was an Amazing city. I will never forget this expierience and I hope there are more like it. Maybe I will have another good story on 10/3 when my Brother, Cous Kevin, Rich, Lina , Raven, and I are all going to see them in Philly, I Can't wait.
Hope you all read this and looked at the pics. I'm sure I met many of you at the shows and everyone I ran into was super cool, thanks for making my trip excellent as well.
All the best
Dave
http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=29587183/t_=28782440
If this link doesn't work let me know.
"If it wasn't for the Buzzcocks who knows we might sound like Good Charlotte or something that sounds like....oh they're good, it just sounds like, it sounds like, well it tastes like a popsicle thats been stuck up somebody's ass, but thats my opinion.....hey some people are into that"
EV 7/8/03
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dude, great story!!!
    wish it was me!!!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    link didnt work!!!!
    by nine he had deciphered the illusion, trading magic for a fact...

32 shows since 2001 and counting ..
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Awesome for you! I have had many dreams similar to your real life experience. LOL. Maybe one day . . . ;)
  • Options
    Here this should work to view the pics....
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b117/NiceFace/
    "If it wasn't for the Buzzcocks who knows we might sound like Good Charlotte or something that sounds like....oh they're good, it just sounds like, it sounds like, well it tastes like a popsicle thats been stuck up somebody's ass, but thats my opinion.....hey some people are into that"
    EV 7/8/03
  • Options
    man, that is way to cool. kick ass!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    So what did Ed say about the new album???
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
  • Options
    Best Band Ever
  • Options
    Totally cool man. I'm surprised Ed let you guys do the picture. Isn't he ussually shy about that kinda stuff?

Also, where's Matt?

Awesome though. Congrats to you
  • Options
    Mike compared it to Vs. , he said it was just a rocking album, with maybe 2 slow songs. He said that after the Chicago show Eddie was gonna go back to the studio to redo vocals on 10-12 songs and then they head to South America, and then Australia... Eddie was sayin how most bands jam at 2nd gear and that this album for them is in 5th gear. He was sooo excited about the album. He also told us some song names and said Mike was tearing them up. I honestly dont remember the name sof the songs, but he said they weren't playing any new songs because he wants everyone to get the album and lock themselves in their rooms and hear them that way for the 1st time. And yes, they are the greatest band in the world.
    EV 7/8/03
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    man that story is awesome, way cool. CONGRATS!!!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    UNREAL!!.....I too have dreams that are your reality! Good for you man! Someday, someday!
    If peace is real why can't the world be it?

Red Rover Mike McCready take over.........

9-15-98, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 9-28-04, 9-29-04, 9-15-05, 5-13-06, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-27-06, 6-27-08, 6-28-08, 6-30-08, 10-30-09, 10-31-09, 5-15-10, 5-17-10
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Mike compared it to Vs. , he said it was just a rocking album, with maybe 2 slow songs. He said that after the Chicago show Eddie was gonna go back to the studio to redo vocals on 10-12 songs and then they head to South America, and then Australia... Eddie was sayin how most bands jam at 2nd gear and that this album for them is in 5th gear. He was sooo excited about the album. He also told us some song names and said Mike was tearing them up. I honestly dont remember the name sof the songs, but he said they weren't playing any new songs because he wants everyone to get the album and lock themselves in their rooms and hear them that way for the 1st time. And yes, they are the greatest band in the world.

Australia you say?! Wow - can't wait till someone from Australia sees this thread!

I love the idea of locking myself in my room and hearing the songs on the album for the first time. Thanks for all these updates straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    To add to the Australia thing, Ed said they are taking Kings of Leon with them.....
    EV 7/8/03
  • Options
    To add to the Australia thing, Ed said they are taking Kings of Leon with them.....

You lucky Australian fuckers
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
  • Options
    obbleobble Posts: 49
    HOLY FUCK MOTHER FUCK YEAH FUCK FUCK YEAH FUCK SHIT FUCK YEAH!!!!

Confirmation first hand!! Dude I love you. Seriously.

Cool Story as well =)
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: NZ Leg Chieftain & Member No.6-+--+

**Drop the Leash on my Garden Porch, Downunder 06'**
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328

FUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Aussies, WE HAVE A TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our persistence has PAID OFF!!!!!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    Omfg Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    Is this for real? OMG I've just broken out in a cold sweat! :)
  • Options

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    wah
  • Options
    o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god o my god

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

please dont tell me this is a dream cause i never want to wake up!!!!

did i mention i love pearl jam?????
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    This is fun to see! That's why I linked this thread in you guys' australian one - I wanted to see the happiness in action - happy for you!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    This is fun to see! That's why I linked this thread in you guys' australian one - I wanted to see the happiness in action - happy for you!

thankyou sooooo much!!! im soooo excited!!!

ok i guess im not goin 2 by that guitar now, i m just goin 2 have to start saving for my PEARL JAM ADVENTURE!!!!!!!!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • Options
    HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That just makes my day/year. :)
  • Options
    Our Pearl Jam Pledge of Allegiance Worked!!! OH MY GOSH!!!

With the Kings Of Leon!! Can this be the Best News EVER!!!
    he who forgets will be destined to remember
  • Options
    great story :D
    glad you had such memorable conversations with the band members (nice pics too!!), they are all such wonderful people.

and to add to the australian comments.. fuck yeah.
    I went to the concert
    And I fought through the crowd
    Guess I got a little too excited
    When I thought you were around
  • Options
    Wow, wow....I envy you! I hope I can experience that one day!! Wow.......awesome.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BinOttawa/featured
    Sometimes I see a strange spot in the sky, a human being that was Given To Fly
  • Options
    oh yeah almost forgot.....tour in the US to start a bit late...April.....
    EV 7/8/03
  • Options
    Gangstacro wrote:
    I'm surprised Ed let you guys do the picture. Isn't he ussually shy about that kinda stuff?

I'm surprised, too. There have been other folks here that met him and he insisted on no pics. You got pretty lucky, man.
    Although, Eddie doesn't look completely comfortable in that pic.
    You can tell that's not his favorite thing to do.

Cool, just the same. Congrats.

P.S.
    FYI:
    It's McCready. Not Mcreedy.
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
  • Options
    SchlitzSchlitz Posts: 141
    Lucky bastard
    i have to remain at top sassiness, even though my inner sass is struggling
  • Options
    lannerslanners Posts: 458
    i bow at your feet!
    i. am. mine.