Options

Ive Got To Be Honest About Pj's Snl Performance

2»

Comments

• Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    I kinda thought he looked nervous...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    basqobasqo Posts: 25
    for the first time they played either song live, I thought it was amazing. Severed Hand... wow. Snl was for the masses, their concerts for the fans are going to be so much better, especially sound quality. I knew mike was soloing, it was just miserably toned down. Oh well, Cant wait for SF 1 and 2.
    Here's to hoping the next album is along the lines of No Code
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Matt has finally found his place in the band! The backing vocals added great harmonics to Ed's singing.

I will now end my "Bring Back Jack Irons" vigil . . .
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Add a little coin slot cream and everything will be okay.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    Energy was great.... eds voice, was eh... hopefully warming up...

i dont know how to feel about all this matt backing up ed... just doesnt hit me right...

and honestly, i cant dig those two songs.... it makes me sad.... cuz im not used to that :(

but yeah, dont want to be a downer, just how i feel, figured everyone would be praising it all to hell and back... so i guess im the token person to keep the board even :D u know, the ying and the yang...

Ps. I liked "Life Wasted" more back when it was "Insignificance"

Sorry, I can't agree with you.
    PJ in Danish:
    www.pearl-jam.dk
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Sorry, I can't agree with you.

i dont care... and sorry guys, i did mean severed hand... my fault...
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I don't know why people judge the sound quality of tv performances, First off, the bands sound crew has absolutely nothing to do with the sound feed going for the televison, thats run by the SNL people, which is why almost every band that plays on tv sounds totally off, wait till they place thier own shows with thier own sound crew, then thier true sound will come through.

By the way the performance was pretty good id say. Never seen them with that much energy for a long time. Past few years has been them just standing there in one spot playing, so it was good to see that older engery again.

its not the sound, it was just the songs... i just dont get how people are so into it...i mean it makes me happy but i just feel out of the loop here...

Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    and are you guys kidding? severed hand has the exact same break down as insignificance.... its just goes on longer than the one in insignificance
    This is about the only thing I agree with you on. It's a derivative song, but I don't think it's bad.
    I actually don't feel the entire album lives up to the expectations placed upon it by all of this hype over the last few months. Certainly not rocking enough to compare with Ten like they've tried.
    As far as the performance, they did the best they could on the one stage in late-night television known to have horrible sound. I don't know how or why, but even the best live bands sound kinda rough on that stage.
    As for Matt, you're just flat out nuts to have issue with him. It's true, Ed needs to "warm up" his voice lately at the beginning of tours. But the fact is he's ruining his vocal chords and needs some support as time goes on. And I think Matt did a phenomenal job doing so. I hope it's a trend that continues as Ed's voice further weakens.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    13PJ13 wrote:
    This is about the only thing I agree with you on. It's a derivative song, but I don't think it's bad.
    I actually don't feel the entire album lives up to the expectations placed upon it by all of this hype over the last few months. Certainly not rocking enough to compare with Ten like they've tried.
    As far as the performance, they did the best they could on the one stage in late-night television known to have horrible sound. I don't know how or why, but even the best live bands sound kinda rough on that stage.
    As for Matt, you're just flat out nuts to have issue with him. It's true, Ed needs to "warm up" his voice lately at the beginning of tours. But the fact is he's ruining his vocal chords and needs some support as time goes on. And I think Matt did a phenomenal job doing so. I hope it's a trend that continues as Ed's voice further weakens.

i have no problem with matt at all, i just dont think their voices sound good together on those songs.....

Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    its not the sound, it was just the songs... i just dont get how people are so into it...i mean it makes me happy but i just feel out of the loop here...

and are you guys kidding? severed hand has the exact same break down as insignificance.... its just goes on longer than the one in insignificance

Again, I really like "Severed Hand', and I do hear a bit of "Insignificance" though I think you are definitely stretching to say that it has the exact some breakdown. Ultimately, though, I'm in the similar boat as you. The only difference is I actually like the new stuff, but I too am a bit baffled at the outpouring of love for the songs here and at TheSkyIScrape. I think a lot of it is people reacting to the energy of the new stuff instead of the actual songs.

Of course, I only recently fell in love with Binaural songs like "Breakerfall", "Grievance", and "Rival". It'll probably be the same way with this new album. However, I don't see myself ever liking "WWS".
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they were great. i can't wait for hartford.
  • Options
    no no no, not Insignificance

Severed Hand = Porch, Version 2.0
    Current Favorite PJ Studio Albums:
    1) Vitalogy
    2) Yield
    3) Ten
    4) No Code
    5) Riot Act
    6) Vs.
    7) Pearl Jam
    8) Binaural
  • Options
    jammin1586 wrote:
    no no no, not Insignificance

Severed Hand = Porch, Version 2.0
    It's got a bit of both. But listen more closely if you really can't hear Insignificance. I promise you it's there.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    It Was Amazing!!!
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398

I def see the similarities but I think severed hand is a pretty unique song. I respect the fact that art and music are subjective and you really can't make a definitive statement about the quality of art...however, I just cannot see how a true PJ fan would not be into these songs / performances. I just think all the elements are there...Ed's voice, great rhythm section, Mike's solo on 'severed' was excellent, the energy of the band was phenomenal.

Its your opinion and thats cool, but I'm going to have to agree to disagree. I absolutely loved the songs. 9 out of 10 for both of them.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    id rocksid rocks Posts: 29
    Wow, I don't know what's weirder to me, people actually not thinking WWS and Severed Hand kicked ass, or people coming on the board and posting complaints about things that just flat out are the current reality and that nothing can be done about. Prime example - Ed's voice. So what that it sounds different than it did 15 years ago? Wouldn't it be more bizzare if it sounded the same? THAT would be cause for some serious freaking out - "Ed Vedder, the man who's voice never changes!!!." I mean, come on, isn't this obvious? I'm just glad that after all these years he still has the desire and passion to sing.
    Break the sky and tell me what it's for
  • Options
    id rocks wrote:
    ...Ed's voice. So what that it sounds different than it did 15 years ago? Wouldn't it be more bizzare if it sounded the same? THAT would be cause for some serious freaking out - "Ed Vedder, the man who's voice never changes!!!."
    There are plenty of musicians who's voice did not change one bit over their entire career. And I wouldn't have freaked out it this were the case for Ed. I personally feel it's a shame that the cigarettes, wine (an entire bottle per show IS enough to cause some dehydration) instead of water, and all of the screaming/harsh vocals have added up to a degradation in his vocal abilities. He still sounds good, yes. No denying it. He just doesn't sound "as good." My opinion, of course.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    ecd1973ecd1973 Posts: 30
    Name one rock vocalist who sounds exactly the same now as he/she did 15 years ago.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

-- Willy Wonka
  • Options
    I'm not longing for Eddie to sound like he did 15 years ago. The guy could have definitely made some wiser choices that would have maintained his voice better. I don't really harp on it though.

However, based on boots from just last year I'd say he can do better than those two SNL performances. However, he's usually a bit out of his element in studio performances like that, especially prior to a tour, so I'm sure he'll sound better come May, June, and July. Better or not, though, based on the new songs he is going to be straining his voice on this tour and will probably have to rely on Matt and others for back-up vocals more than usual. There are undoubtedly going to be certain shows where Eddie is clearly struggling but not for lack of trying. It always happens-he's human.
  • Options
    I agree,,,,it seems the band's energy and music has outgrown Ed's voice, but hey ...the guy is in his forties.... It will never be lik ethe old das when he out powered the band,,,and yelped like a wild man...... He did look lost and sad on stage abit...knda like he knew he didnt have his full voice that night...
    i actually felt alittle sad for him...but then i remembered he is a fucking millionare, and dates a model....lol and i work in a fucking offica all day...
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    Severed Hand rocked! I recorded it and cant stop watching it especially the riff gets me jacked up for the shows.

I agree that it does have a lil similarity to Insignificance but also Sad and Porch as well. But either way, like someone mentioned earlier, some songs have even taken me up to 2 yrs to get into ala Light yrs or Tremor Christ, or Half Full (and I now love those songs) etc. Thats how this band is and thats why we love em so much.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    maybe u should listen to hmmm....fall out boy or some kinda teeny bopper stuff like that. pj rocked! they were kickin ass and takin names during severed hand, nuff said.
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195

btw update, i can stand severed hand now, but wws ... never :D

That's your loss. Worldwide Suicide is a great song. I understand where you are coming from though. After hearing Gone on the AC boot, I was begging for it to be left off of the album, but now I have warmed up to the song. It's actually a really nice song.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    Manstis1604Manstis1604 Posts: 99
    Why when someone criticizes anything ever about Pearl Jam does everyone run out and say bullshit like "oh mi gawd he can't sound like he did 15 years agoooo!!!111oneoneone"? Someone stating fact...and everyone flips out about it. Calm down guys.
  • Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    i said nothing bad about eds voice, i said he was warming up, which he did... and he sounds great so.....

and im gonna kick your ass jam_head

seriously, those are fighting words:)

i dont like two fucking songs that pearl jam put out and now i should go listen to fall out boy? i dont even know who that is, but it sounds like something thats on mtv and sucks, but yeah, fuck you for that comment;)

btw update, i can stand severed hand now, but wws ... never :D

im not saying they are bad songs either, just not my cup of tea...

just to clear that up

uh oh im scared now *pulls covers over head and scrunges up into a ball*
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    jam_head wrote:
    uh oh im scared now *pulls covers over head and scrunges up into a ball*

*gets wiffle ball bat*

we are settling this old school ;)