Options

Ive Got To Be Honest About Pj's Snl Performance

FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
edited April 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    Every party has a pooper
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    i said it earlier that i didn't care for matt's backing...stone is so much better...i do think there was a problem because matt's voice was too loud during world wide suicide and they seemed to fix it for the second song. but still the same "they're far and away the best band goin'"
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • Options
    LetiLeti Posts: 25
    The life of the party never says, "This party sucks"
    09.05.92 / 10.14.00 / 04.06.03 / 05.16.06 / 05.17.06

Leti
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    hey look everybody - it's another debbie downer!!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    hey look everybody - it's another debbie downer!!

Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    I'm going to have to agree somewhat. The songs were great sonically but Ed's voice seemed a bit strained. Hopefully it will be fine for the tour. I didn't mind Matt backing Ed too much. The song choice was decent (WWS was obvious) but I would have preferred a slower tempo song to close like Gone or Come Back, especially with the condition of Ed's voice. I still enjoyed it thoroughly although my wife seemed a bit indifferent. She's not a huge PJ fan so I'm not sure how tonight's performance will grab the casual listener.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Can't blame someone for giving his or her opinion.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    Sound was off terribly so. Mike was quiet, Ed's mic was lower than Matt's. They needed to have that straitened out earlier... Mike was TEARING in the second song.
    PearlJam134.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    adam42381 wrote:
    I'm going to have to agree somewhat. The songs were great sonically but Ed's voice seemed a bit strained. Hopefully it will be fine for the tour. I didn't mind Matt backing Ed too much. The song choice was decent (WWS was obvious) but I would have preferred a slower tempo song to close like Gone or Come Back, especially with the condition of Ed's voice. I still enjoyed it thoroughly although my wife seemed a bit indifferent. She's not a huge PJ fan so I'm not sure how tonight's performance will grab the casual listener.

Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    yay someone that feels like i do
    and y did the drummer run to the front of the stage at the end of wws? the song was barely over and he was tripping over himself to get to the front. the close-ups were only of ed and drummer boy--which is great but what happened to mike, jeff and stone have they not earned camera time. either way they sounded great (less back up vocals) and played very well, did not miss a beat.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=180062&page=15

Energy was great.... eds voice, was eh... hopefully warming up...

i dont know how to feel about all this matt backing up ed... just doesnt hit me right...

and honestly, i cant dig those two songs.... it makes me sad.... cuz im not used to that :(

but yeah, dont want to be a downer, just how i feel, figured everyone would be praising it all to hell and back... so i guess im the token person to keep the board even :D u know, the ying and the yang...

Ps. I liked "Life Wasted" more back when it was "Insignificance"
  • Options
    Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    hey look everybody- its just someone being honest, so f you ;)

im going to be honest when i say i thought both those songs kicked major ass
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    this party blows im leaving theres no hot chicks here
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    adam42381 wrote:

I agree with strained vocals, but I think it has more to to do with how WWS sounds live and what with the whole emotive response to incompetent foreign policy & using the miltary as mercenaries . They're just warming up. The tour's going to rock.
  • Options
    yay someone that feels like i do
    and y did the drummer run to the front of the stage at the end of wws?

And what about the singer? What's his name?
  • Options
    goat boygoat boy Posts: 8
    anyone with negative thoughts about this performance is fuckin nuts. The energy was there Eds voice has been better but he is a 41 year old smoker so what do you expect. I am ready for the tour. Severted hand is an awsome tune and the band sounds as good as they ever have.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Riot_Mac wrote:
    im going to be honest when i say i thought both those songs kicked major ass
    i agree i was really excited with both songs. Folks expecting ed to sound like he did 15 years ago unfortunately need to realize he will never sound that way again. His voice is not that good anymore.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I don't really like "WWS". I wasn't impressed with the AOL Studios performance of it. And the same goes for SNL. With the way Matt could practically be heard over Eddie during the chorus and the ultra simplistic chord progression of the song, I thought they sounded like a highschool garage band.

However, I thought "Severed Hand" really rocked. The breakdown is reminiscent of "Insignificance", but that doesn't bother me at all.

As for Eddie's voice, I agree. He was straining big time during "WWS". He was better on "Severed" though.

"and honestly, i cant dig those two songs.... it makes me sad.... cuz im not used to that"

Even though I like "Severed", I know what you mean. I am having a lukewarm reaction to the songs I've heard from this album.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    i agree i was really excited with both songs. Folks expecting ed to sound like he did 15 years ago unfortunately need to realize he will never sound that way again. His voice is not that good anymore.

Better IMHO
  • Options
    goat boygoat boy Posts: 8
    Eds voice is still superior to anybodys but it is not what it used to be but still the best
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,439
    Energy was great.... eds voice, was eh... hopefully warming up...

i dont know how to feel about all this matt backing up ed... just doesnt hit me right...

and honestly, i cant dig those two songs.... it makes me sad.... cuz im not used to that :(

but yeah, dont want to be a downer, just how i feel, figured everyone would be praising it all to hell and back... so i guess im the token person to keep the board even :D u know, the ying and the yang...

I thought it was a great performance. I think there was a problem with the audio on Mike's side. Maybe that's what threw you off. And I think Eddie's voice sounded good. I knew there was gonna be post/s like this but oh well.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    I do agree that Ed's voice is drowned out by Matt's a little. It sounds good and I can't wait to hear WWS at each of the 6 shows i'm going to.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    This is a big mess.
    The poster formerly known as AeonFlux.
  • Options
    SeelosSeelos Posts: 5
    Stoked to see PJ out and about again, but I am also having lukewarm reactions to the songs. WWS has grown on me, but first listen to severed hand not so excited. I know most of the album is fast, and I believe they only have to slow tempo songs on this album, so I hope they all grow on me.
    Park City 6/17/95 Stood in the Rain, until show was cancelled.
    Salt Lake City 11/1/95 & 11/2/95 Front Row! Got to shake Eddie's Hand
    Park City 6/21/98
    Las Vegas 10/22/00 10th Anniversary Show!
    Nampa 11/3/00
    Las Vegas 6/6/03
    Las Vegas 2006
    Gorge 22, 23 July 2006
    Salt Lake City, 10/28/2009
  • Options
    Get over it, people.....It was Pearl Jam and they rocked. Where else you gonna go?
    I wanna tell you that I love you, but does it really matter? ...first show 12-31-91 w/RHCP and Nirvana.
  • Options
    I don't know why people judge the sound quality of tv performances, First off, the bands sound crew has absolutely nothing to do with the sound feed going for the televison, thats run by the SNL people, which is why almost every band that plays on tv sounds totally off, wait till they place thier own shows with thier own sound crew, then thier true sound will come through.

By the way the performance was pretty good id say. Never seen them with that much energy for a long time. Past few years has been them just standing there in one spot playing, so it was good to see that older engery again.
    "Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
    "Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I don't know why people judge the sound quality of tv performances, First off, the bands sound crew has absolutely nothing to do with the sound feed going for the televison, thats run by the SNL people, which is why almost every band that plays on tv sounds totally off, wait till they place thier own shows with thier own sound crew, then thier true sound will come through.

By the way the performance was pretty good id say. Never seen them with that much energy for a long time. Past few years has been them just standing there in one spot playing, so it was good to see that older engery again.

they've never lost energy in their live performances.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008

Uhhh..wha? Those songs sound nothing like each other?

And even if you mean severed hand...I still hear NO resemblence to Insignifcance.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,439
    Uhhh..wha? Those songs sound nothing like each other?

And even if you mean severed hand...I still hear NO resemblence to Insignifcance.

Yeah I didn't get that reference.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    Yeah I didn't get that reference.

Yeh, I just pretended I didn't read that. I thought I was just too dumb to get it.
    The poster formerly known as AeonFlux.