My Hartford and Albany city reveiws (drunken mess)

MILKwasAbadChoiceMILKwasAbadChoice Posts: 285
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I have complete insomnia right now so here it is:

Me and my roomie left jersey around 8 oclock and made it up to albany by 1130 with stopping at DD to grab a coffee and a bite to eat. The people at the Red Carpet in were really nice and friendly. I had to explain to one of the ladies working there what went on at these shows. She didn't understand why people would travel to see a concert. I explained that the set was different every night and she said "whats a set". We hung out in the hotel for a few hours and napped. Around 2 we walked over to the pepsi arena which was only about 1/2 of a mile from the hotel. I got our tickets and almost was in shock that my tickets weren't floor seats. Little did i know these were some of the best seats in the house that i had just recieved. We walked down pearl st (coincidence) and started checking out what bars Albany had to offer. We walked maybe 6 blocks down and started out at Bayou. This place had an excellent beer choice, great food, and a super cute staff. Very Friendly people. I started out at this place with 3 Blue Moon's and a free shot of Jameison/Baileys. Everyone here was cool and we just talked about the Toronto set lists and bullshitted about some crazy karate that was on espn8 the ocho. We met one of PJ's bus drivers outside smokin a cigarette. Personally I did not believe he was him, but we saw him in hartford the next night too. Well we left Bayou and headed towards Jillians. This was a pretty cool place. It reminded me of Dave and busters. Cool place though and there were a lot of PJ fans in there. We split a corona bucket and i also had 2 more blue moons in here bringing my drink total up to 9 drinks before 530. It was at this bar i heard the worse rendition of Daughter ever. But i gave the cover band credit for doing it originial. When most bands cover PJ, the singer tends to change his voice, at least the female singer was original.

We walked a few more blocks to this absolute dive. I am not sure of the name but whoa the average age in there was 48. People complaining about their wives etc... i told people that i was related to tony soprano and most of them believed me. What are peoples infatuation with Jersey? They had asked me if i have ever been to pizzaland from the credit of the sopranos. Of course i have. We had a few free drinks here just for starting good conversation bringing my total up to 12 drinks. We headed over to Bentleys(sp) down the sstreet. this bar seemed to be a very trendy looking bar. I met some cool people here including this guy from fuckin denver. what a far trip. we bullshitted and he then took us to this other bar down the road. red square ? this was a really good time.I met some cool people here to. everyone is so fuckin friendly. This guy from albany he said his board name was ghostinhiding, told me stories about his kids and what PJ means to them and him. It was really cool to share stories and just havea good time. We hung out here until about 8 and headed over to the arena.

I was actually not that bad at this point nearing 20 drinks. We got to our seats and it turned out we were sitting in row C, but originally placed our buts in row CC. row c turned out ot be better and we had perfect sightlines of the band from the side of the stage. my roomie later said jokingly, thos were hot seats we got to starte at boom's ass all night. When we got to our new row...i immediatley appologized to the couple on the end of the row, for having to potentialy get up during the show and pee (they laughed, and i only got up once 2 pee during even flow). after talkin a litle more i found that coincidently they used to live like 3 minutes away from my house in south plainfield. its really a small world. The two ladies next to me were from boston and we talked some NYY/BOS baseball b4 the show started. really cool people everywhere..i cant help but stress this point. well we have all seen the setlist...and PJ just ripped it. amazing show. amazing set. amazing sing along and dancing. my neck hurts so much from rockin out and head bangin and my knees hurt from dancin around so much.

on to hartford:

biggest shit hole ever.
i was actually more scared to be in the section where the liquor store was at then being in camden and plainfield combined. none the less the show was great. not much to say about my hartford experiecne except the show. the show we had great seats again...we were right next to the monitor where ed hopped up on. It was a chilly night, but the jimmy beam warmed me up.

And after all this i rejoice, because even know its over, i still have 4 more shows to go
98- 9/8.9/10.9/11
00- 8/3, 8/4, 9/1.9/2
03- 4/28. 7/8. 7/9. 7/14
04- 10/1
05- 10/3
06- 5/4!!!!, 5/12. 5/13. 5/27, 5/28, 6/1, 6/3
08- 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/25, 6/27, 8/4
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    Hey Milk! I hope you recovered! Sounds like you had a great time upstate. Good grief, though, 20 drinks in one day? I'd be dead if I did that.

And--I have to say it--you got up during EVEN FLOW?!! :)
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • smartass1235smartass1235 Posts: 136
    i smell bull shit with some of this story. 20 drinks? and you remember all of them..... i dont think so.
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • robbyblaylockrobbyblaylock Posts: 428
    i stayed at the red carpet inn as well. they didnt allow check in till 3 so we got our tickets in the meantime. shady hotel if id say. yet the show was worth it.

i agree about hartford. i ended up driving to find a payless and landed in west hartford (i only had sandals and thought id need shoes if i was stuck in the rain). i never feared for my life more than i did when i was in west hartford.

in all id say the albany show was the better but hartford had its moments ( inside job, rvm, IM OPEN!!!)

fortunately i had a friend at the show who lived in orange so i got to crash there with my road trip buddy.

cant wait for camden and n.j.!!!
  • solat1973solat1973 Posts: 131
    I have complete insomnia right now so here it is:

Me and my roomie left jersey around 8 oclock and made it up to albany by 1130 with stopping at DD to grab a coffee and a bite to eat. The people at the Red Carpet in were really nice and friendly. I had to explain to one of the ladies working there what went on at these shows. She didn't understand why people would travel to see a concert. I explained that the set was different every night and she said "whats a set". We hung out in the hotel for a few hours and napped. Around 2 we walked over to the pepsi arena which was only about 1/2 of a mile from the hotel. I got our tickets and almost was in shock that my tickets weren't floor seats. Little did i know these were some of the best seats in the house that i had just recieved. We walked down pearl st (coincidence) and started checking out what bars Albany had to offer. We walked maybe 6 blocks down and started out at Bayou. This place had an excellent beer choice, great food, and a super cute staff. Very Friendly people. I started out at this place with 3 Blue Moon's and a free shot of Jameison/Baileys. Everyone here was cool and we just talked about the Toronto set lists and bullshitted about some crazy karate that was on espn8 the ocho. We met one of PJ's bus drivers outside smokin a cigarette. Personally I did not believe he was him, but we saw him in hartford the next night too. Well we left Bayou and headed towards Jillians. This was a pretty cool place. It reminded me of Dave and busters. Cool place though and there were a lot of PJ fans in there. We split a corona bucket and i also had 2 more blue moons in here bringing my drink total up to 9 drinks before 530. It was at this bar i heard the worse rendition of Daughter ever. But i gave the cover band credit for doing it originial. When most bands cover PJ, the singer tends to change his voice, at least the female singer was original.

We walked a few more blocks to this absolute dive. I am not sure of the name but whoa the average age in there was 48. People complaining about their wives etc... i told people that i was related to tony soprano and most of them believed me. What are peoples infatuation with Jersey? They had asked me if i have ever been to pizzaland from the credit of the sopranos. Of course i have. We had a few free drinks here just for starting good conversation bringing my total up to 12 drinks. We headed over to Bentleys(sp) down the sstreet. this bar seemed to be a very trendy looking bar. I met some cool people here including this guy from fuckin denver. what a far trip. we bullshitted and he then took us to this other bar down the road. red square ? this was a really good time.I met some cool people here to. everyone is so fuckin friendly. This guy from albany he said his board name was ghostinhiding, told me stories about his kids and what PJ means to them and him. It was really cool to share stories and just havea good time. We hung out here until about 8 and headed over to the arena.

I was actually not that bad at this point nearing 20 drinks. We got to our seats and it turned out we were sitting in row C, but originally placed our buts in row CC. row c turned out ot be better and we had perfect sightlines of the band from the side of the stage. my roomie later said jokingly, thos were hot seats we got to starte at boom's ass all night. When we got to our new row...i immediatley appologized to the couple on the end of the row, for having to potentialy get up during the show and pee (they laughed, and i only got up once 2 pee during even flow). after talkin a litle more i found that coincidently they used to live like 3 minutes away from my house in south plainfield. its really a small world. The two ladies next to me were from boston and we talked some NYY/BOS baseball b4 the show started. really cool people everywhere..i cant help but stress this point. well we have all seen the setlist...and PJ just ripped it. amazing show. amazing set. amazing sing along and dancing. my neck hurts so much from rockin out and head bangin and my knees hurt from dancin around so much.

on to hartford:

biggest shit hole ever.
    i was actually more scared to be in the section where the liquor store was at then being in camden and plainfield combined. none the less the show was great. not much to say about my hartford experiecne except the show. the show we had great seats again...we were right next to the monitor where ed hopped up on. It was a chilly night, but the jimmy beam warmed me up.

And after all this i rejoice, because even know its over, i still have 4 more shows to go

If you were in section 118, then it was me and my wife at the end of the row
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    i never feared for my life more than i did when i was in west hartford.

hahaha in West Hartford?

Most of WH is stuck up snobs.

Where you near Park St or New Park Ave. by any chance? The section of WH that borders Hartford is pretty sketchy but it's not Compton.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    Sounds like he got off at Prospect or Flatbush... There's payless shoes over in there... But you're right P.B., that's far from a really bad area...

But there's nothing near the Meadows, so you do run the risk of getting lost while out "exploring" in Hartford...
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    .............. I was actually not that bad at this point nearing 20 drinks. .........

i don't get why you're so obsessed with counting your drinks?
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,489
    i am from london england and that has some rough spots but i was scared in hartford , that town was not for me,but i thought albany was ok quite friendly.
    when you come over seas to see the band you love you just dont know the local knowledge of good or bad towns you are in the lap of the gods but thankfully flew home yesterday all is well
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • not obessed with counting my drinks, i just went back and reflected to say a big holy shit. its not bullshit either i am 260 lbs and can hold my liquor. i was just expressing the fact that albany is a great bar town. i had such a blast.
    98- 9/8.9/10.9/11
    00- 8/3, 8/4, 9/1.9/2
    03- 4/28. 7/8. 7/9. 7/14
    04- 10/1
    05- 10/3
    06- 5/4!!!!, 5/12. 5/13. 5/27, 5/28, 6/1, 6/3
    08- 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/25, 6/27, 8/4
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I don't drink that much before a show...don't want to have to go for a piss break & miss some good music.
    I really don't understand all these comments about Hartford being a shitty town. I parked on Main Street, walked to Sweet Janes for the CCFA Fundraiser (hung out with cool jammers & won an MSG poster!), & paid 5 bucks for the roundtrip shuttle. I walked back to my car after the show & drove home with no problem.
    I'll tell a little story about the first time I saw a show at Camden (Neil Young, 8/9/00). After the show I'm walking out with a couple friends (one of whom lives in Philly). They say where are you parked & I say oh I parked on the street somewhere near the venue. They look at me like I'm insane & say "hope we see you at Great Woods!" (my next show on the tour). So I think Camden's reputation exceeds Hartford's by far when it comes to sketchiness. If you want to see a truly sketchy place in CT, visit Bridgeport sometime...
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com