Sweet Lew

GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
edited July 2013 in The Porch
Chuck Klosterman has written a book called "I Wear the Black Hat". One of his subjects is Kareem Abdul Jabbar and he brings up Sweet Lew.

Excerpt:

"There's a B-side from the rock band Pearl Jam titled "Sweet Lew," written by Jeff Ament (the "Lew" in its title refers to Jabbar's Christian name). If you listen to the song casually, you wouldn't immediately perceive it as a criticism of Abdul-Jabbar, as the lyrics are mostly complimentary and kind of juvenile ["Wilt the Stilt had nothing on you / Lambchops and Afro-do, Milwaukee Bucks and a barbecue"]. But Ament's interior motive for writing the song was based on a negative encounter he had with Abdul-Jabbar upon meeting him at a charity event. Ament (a lifelong hoop fan and a decent player as a high school student in Montana) was deeply hurt by Abdul-Jabbar's abject lack of interest toward his personal fandom. He didn't even pretend to care. This is telling. What made Pearl Jam dissimilar from their platinum-selling peers (most notably Nirvana) was that — despite being completely suffocated by a level of fame they did not anticipate — they still felt an obligation to appreciate the people who bought their records. Perhaps they did this naturally, or perhaps they did this as a social compulsion. Either way, Pearl Jam has always felt a responsibility to return whatever adoration was directed toward their existence. The motive of that return is beside the point, because the effort is what matters. It's certainly possible to dislike Pearl Jam's music, but you can't hate them as people, unless a) you believe they are somehow fake and b) you have some kind of teenage punk fixation on realness. To any normal person, a facsimile of gratitude is enough; that facsimile is an acceptable amount of emotional access. When Ament met Abdul-Jabbar, all Kareem needed to say was, "Thanks, man. That means a lot. Good luck with your life." He would not have needed to mean any of those words. Even if he'd been transparently acting, it would have been enough to satisfy a person who had pre-decided to love him. But Abdul-Jabbar can't do that. He can't ignore the stupidity of that false relationship, which is why a song like "Sweet Lew" exists. Kareem (being Kareem) loves jazz music — but even if he loved rock, he'd never relate to Pearl Jam (except for maybe "Corduroy"). He would prefer mid-period Rush: "I can't pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/936 ... -kareem-oj
San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Not sure if this excerpt is all that complimantory. To quote the author: on the surface it is, but underneath... Not sure...

Thanks for sharing though...
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Not sure if this excerpt is all that complimantory. To quote the author: on the surface it is, but underneath... Not sure...

Thanks for sharing though...
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    The article mentions my 2 favorite bands. Win.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Nice lyric reference to Limelight
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • drew42edrew42e Posts: 74
    I thought this was insightful though:
    "Pearl Jam has always felt a responsibility to return whatever adoration was directed toward their existence. The motive of that return is beside the point, because the effort is what matters."
    9/8/98 Newark, NJ, 10/31/00 Mountain View, CA, 10/20/01 Mountain View, CA (Bridge School 15), 7/6/06 Las Vegas, NV, 8/28/09 SF, CA, 10/31/09 Philly, PA, 10/23/10 Mountain View, CA (Bridge School 24), 09/03/11 Alpine Valley, WI, 11/23/13 LA1, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, WI
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,198

officialament

On the precipice of LeBron passing the great Kareem Abdul Jabbar, my friend sent me a pic of the cassette I gave him 25+ years ago of my demo of Sweet Lew. #skyhook #thecaptain

• Good on jeff.
    I once met him and he took time to chat and have a photo. Good guy.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -