Options

How awesome is Rival?

RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
edited December 2013 in The Porch
This song NEVER gets talked about so I figured I would give it some love during a crazy time on the Porch. The riff is so simple yet so awesome, the lyrics are some of Stone's best, the addition of the piano is genius and the overall structure of the song is so original and unpredictable. And, along with most of the other songs on Binural, Matt couldn't have drummed it better, especially at the beginning.

I would probably put it in my ever changing top 10 in easily in the top 3 most underrated Pearl Jam songs.

When I listen to Binural and hear Thin Air, then one track later hear Of the Girl, then one more later hear Rival it really makes me get down on my knees and pray that there is a couple of completely Stone written songs on the next album. Although it is unlikely considering it hasn't happened in 13 years. :(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    It is pretty awesome. Binaural is one of my favorites. Every song is great. I even have come to really like evacuation which I didn't like much at first. I think Soon Forget is the only weak track but it doesn't change my opinion of the record as a whole at all.
  • Options
    ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    I was lucky enough to hear it live at the '00 Atlanta show. It was f**kin' badass.
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    RiotZact wrote:
    The riff is so simple yet so awesome, the lyrics are some of Stone's best, the addition of the piano is genius and the overall structure of the song is so original and unpredictable.

Absolutely awesome... Binaural is full of such songs, original and unpredictable. THe slow part coming after hard part is brilliant.
    Thanks for bringing this up...
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Binaural song = Awesome Song
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    Rival is definitely a complete gem on Binaural. while I can honestly say the album doesnt make any of my top PJ lists, the song itself would make me buy Binaural over and over again.

Here's why it's awesome:
    1) The intro: I mean the dog growl is so cool and its such a catchy way to begin a song
    2) Matt's drumming: very basic of course, but it leads off the song into such a heavy backbeat
    3) main riff: It's kinda got a bluesy, pendulum hook thing going on and it matches great with Ed's singing
    4) Ed's part: kinda the same thing as the main riff, it's got this hook on the verses that you just can't help but love

there ya go me amigos
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    And only played 20 times live?

Talk about underrated!!
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    WhyGo91 wrote:
    Rival is definitely a complete gem on Binaural. while I can honestly say the album doesnt make any of my top PJ lists, the song itself would make me buy Binaural over and over again.

Here's why it's awesome:
    1) The intro: I mean the dog growl is so cool and its such a catchy way to begin a song
    2) Matt's drumming: very basic of course, but it leads off the song into such a heavy backbeat
    3) main riff: It's kinda got a bluesy, pendulum hook thing going on and it matches great with Ed's singing
    4) Ed's part: kinda the same thing as the main riff, it's got this hook on the verses that you just can't help but love

there ya go me amigos
    i like this guy
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Great song! Psyched to see it in Boston 2010!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    Jerome230 wrote:
    And only played 20 times live?

Talk about underrated!!

Yeah I saw it at Philly 1 2009 but that was long before I appreciated it as much as I do now :( If only I could relive that moment.

Glad to see this thread getting plenty of love amidst all of the album/tour/countdown/Chicago craziness!
  • Options
    ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    It is pretty awesome. Binaural is one of my favorites. Every song is great. I even have come to really like evacuation which I didn't like much at first. I think Soon Forget is the only weak track but it doesn't change my opinion of the record as a whole at all.

Funny you should say that, because for some strange reason Evacuation and Soon Forget where the only 2 that caught my attention the first few times I listened to Binural. It was my least favorite album for the longest time. Then one day I popped it in my CD player to hear those 2 songs and I ended up really catching on to some other songs like Of the Girl and Breakerfall. So it jumped up on my list a little bit but about a month ago I put it in again and now it is easily my favorite album! Songs like Rival, NAIS, and Grievance have grown on my to a ridiculous extent in the past few weeks.

Now (along with God's Dice) Evacuation and Soon Forget are the only ones I don't like all that much. But I have to love them because if it weren't for my initial interest in them I never would have gave the rest of the album enough of a chance.
  • Options

Thanks for that! Awesome version. How cool would it be if they played it live and had Boom play the piano part?
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    RiotZact wrote:
    This song NEVER gets talked about so I figured I would give it some love during a crazy time on the Porch. The riff is so simple yet so awesome, the lyrics are some of Stone's best, the addition of the piano is genius and the overall structure of the song is so original and unpredictable. And, along with most of the other songs on Binural, Matt couldn't have drummed it better, especially at the beginning.

I would probably put it in my ever changing top 10 in easily in the top 3 most underrated Pearl Jam songs.

When I listen to Binural and hear Thin Air, then one track later hear Of the Girl, then one more later hear Rival it really makes me get down on my knees and pray that there is a couple of completely Stone written songs on the next album. Although it is unlikely considering it hasn't happened in 13 years. :(

It's one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs. The bluesy-ness, the lyrics. The song just sucks me in. And you're right about the Stone Gossard ThinAir-OfTheGirl-Rival trifecta. His head was in a very special place when he created those tunes. That's the great thing about this band. They aren't just one thing and they excel at being unpredictable. Most bands can't hit outside their wheelhouse. I heart this band.
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    I love this song!

The drums are so thick and heavy, even more so live!

Pinkpop 2000 had a great live version.

The odd timing and heavy guitars, along with some odd words make one of the best songs.

Always been a fan of this song. Always chasing this song. Missed it in 2010 by one show!! :(
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,304
    WhyGo91 wrote:
    Here's why it's awesome:

1) The intro: I mean the dog growl is so cool and its such a catchy way to begin a song.
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Pinkpop 2000 had a great live version.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Binaural song = Awesome Song

+1

My of my faves. Always wondered why it got little love & even less play.

The opening drum beats and guitar set the tone for a killer tune. Would love this one @ Wrigley, or anywhere :D
    Hey, hey. My, my. Rock and roll can never die.

"Why go home? I am home! And I gotta tell you, it feels FUCKIN GREAT to be here. You may experience this yourself but, if you were born in Chicago, you're always from Chicago. And even if you don't live in Chicago, Chicago will always live in you."-Ed
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    not as awesome as fatal, but still pretty tight. :clap:
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    Here's the pro-shot Pinkpop 2000 video. Pay attention to Stone at 0:46...I miss seeing that groove and facial expression. :cry:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ftmgsuUDY
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,590
    Dallas 2000 I got to see it and smile. Good night.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Binaural is my favorite album overall. Love this song. So bad ass in every way. Only played 2x in past 10 years?? Really? Time to bring back some rival.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Binaural is my favorite album overall. Love this song. So bad ass in every way. Only played 2x in past 10 years?? Really? Time to bring back some rival.

Wow I didn't know that statistic, now I feel really special.

I honestly think that the reason we don't hear these songs is because Stone is such a perfectionist and he's afraid something will go wrong. Think of Mankind at Philly 1 2009, I was there and it sounded perfect, no missed lyrics and nothing musically went wrong as far as I could tell but still afterword he seemed really upset with the performance saying something along the lines of "fuck we should have practiced that more".

My guess is something like this, Ed says "which off the wall song should we do tonight? how about Rival?" and Stone turns it down immediately because they haven't rehearsed it or anything.
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Here's the pro-shot Pinkpop 2000 video. Pay attention to Stone at 0:46...I miss seeing that groove and facial expression. :cry:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ftmgsuUDY

SPOT ON

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    WhyGo91 wrote:

Here's why it's awesome:

there ya go me amigos
    i like this guy

Look at this guy!!! DIMITRIS!!!! :thumbup:
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    RiotZact wrote:

PRETTY FUCKING AWESOME
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    Oh it's COMPLETELY AWESOME!
    That's one damn good example of some good old fashioned rock guitar. Stone = genius.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    i dont like it im afraid
    danny d
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I love Rival. I guess with gun crime being a consistently topical subject they choose to keep it in the closet for the most part but it's a really great, catchy, well structured song from a great album. I'd love to hear it live but going to as little shows as I do I doubt I'll strike it lucky.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    Studio > live
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Studio > live

Yeah have to agree with you there
  • Options
    Rival 2013 fall tour? One can hope.