Options

Should Eddie use a teleprompter?

Comments

• Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    demetrios wrote:
    HELL NO!!!!! I love it when he changes or fucks up the lyrics. :)

Me too! :D :thumbup:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    WW187806 wrote:
    "They never play Comeback well and Mike always fucks up the solo. I don't get it. Anyway, no, he shouldn't. And neither should Obama."

Im a no for the prompter... I hope people realize how hard that solo, and the entire song Come Back is to play live. The fact that they even attempt it is awesome. And I have seen it done spectacularly well live.

+1 comeback is hard as shit. not in a rock god shredding sort of way, but it is.
    even the chords are strummed off from the lyrics.
    the solo SOUNDS easy (sort of), but it is pretty fuck all confusing.

and for the record,
    i seem to remember them NAILING it a good few times in 2006.
    was a show highlight for me, actually.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    spryguy09spryguy09 Posts: 446
    Here's my favorite Eddie Vedder notebook moment. Toronto 2009 - Pearl Jam opening for themselves. This is my favorite Pearl Jam concert memory...so unexpected, so awesome.

Eddie Vedder and the Pharmacists feat. Mike McCready
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pka2rlsJ-MU
    Toronto Sept 96. Barrie Aug 98. Toronto Oct 00. Toronto June 03. Hamilton Sept 05. Toronto May 06. Toronto Aug 09. Toronto Sept 11. London July 13. Toronto May 16 (I & II).
    Eddie solo. Aug 08 (Massey Hall II)
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,074
    Absolutely fucking no.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,562
    No. I love it when EV fucks up. :)
    I also don't want to watch anyone who is reading lyrics. That's so lame. Was this a sarcastic question?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I'd like to say no, but I've heard progressively more and more Ed lyrical flubs in the the last 10 years.
    So, with reluctance, I'm going to say, it couldn't hurt
  • Options
    jfconnorjrjfconnorjr Posts: 518
    Yes
    I believe that he has messed up Wishlist about 90% of the times I have seen it, and that is a lot.

There is nothing worse than a rarity coming around and Ed has no clue what the verse is.
    The song sheets are nice but even they get messed up and are a tell something "odd" is coming.

I can't imagine it is fun for him or the band when they rehearse a unique song just to the words messed up.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,902
    spryguy09 wrote:
    Here's my favorite Eddie Vedder notebook moment. Toronto 2009 - Pearl Jam opening for themselves. This is my favorite Pearl Jam concert memory...so unexpected, so awesome.

Eddie Vedder and the Pharmacists feat. Mike McCready
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pka2rlsJ-MU

That was great & what a concert. You'll never get to see PJ opening for PJ like that before.

I would rather see Ed looking down @ a notebook then a teleprompter.

If you wanna go nuts, just plant one of these in front of Ed. :p

5112_SM7122BB_OSS_main.jpg&w=200&h=150&resize=true&align=center
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    nope, I admire that he can perform 100 different songs on a tour anyway......

with a memory like mine, im very impressed at how well he does with little aid.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,305
    mookieb10 wrote:
    wow, resounding no's. Bruce has used a prompt for years, so it's not like the show can't be great. Granted, Bruce and PJ shows are different, but I just don't see the forgotten lyrics as something that adds to the shows. It's endering once in a while, but it kinda happens a lot, with pretty common songs too.

i'll never understand how he can screw up the lyrics to so many of the songs he wrote. and this isn't a once in a while thing. it's pretty much every show. it was funny 10 years ago. now i find it annoying, and sadly, predictable.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    i agree, no teleprompter...PJ shows always have lots of fuck ups, but i think we love them for that. to me, its kind of a reminder that these guys are human just like us.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    no
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    demetrios wrote:
    HELL NO!!!!! I love it when he changes or fucks up the lyrics. :)

Me too! :D :thumbup:
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,562
    I'd like to say no, but I've heard progressively more and more Ed lyrical flubs in the the last 10 years.
    So, with reluctance, I'm going to say, it couldn't hurt
    Yes it could. It would be super lame.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    It's a lot of material to remember

I've heard maynard fuck up at concerts.... you know with sets that they have been playing night after night with no alterations for an entire tour.
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    jfconnorjr wrote:
    Yes

There is nothing worse than a rarity coming around and Ed has no clue what the verse is.
    The song sheets are nice but even they get messed up and are a tell something "odd" is coming.

I can't imagine it is fun for him or the band when they rehearse a unique song just to the words messed up.

Montreal 9/7/11 Birthday Show ..........Greatest hits night except for..........

Sleight of Hand. ........40 shows, heard it twice :(

Ed completely f*ck it up :fp: .......... Very disappointed :thumbdown:........

But Ed can do what he wants.............Idgaf ;)
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    edited July 2013
    demetrios wrote:
    I would rather see Ed looking down @ a notebook then a teleprompter.

There really is no difference here. Now we are just arguing between what to read the lyrics off of.

I think a teleprompter would be great. Are we there to be awed by Ed's memory skills or for the music? I don't think Ed would rely on the telemprompter 100% of the time but probably every once in a while when he needs a cue for the opening of the verse. I think an ad-lib is cool if he forgets the lyrics but I don't get that forgetting the lyrics completely makes a show better.

As has been said before, Springsteen has a teleprompter and his shows are the best on the planet. The best. Nothing tops them. Nothing.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    locked wrote:
    Like I pointed out..
    He already DOES..
    It's a video screen image of the lyrics from his famous Composition Book.
    So who cares?????
    What's the difference?
    Cut the guy some slack .
    They have tons if sings and play a different set every show!!!!

I'm sorry.
    I've attended 29 shows and have over 300 pearl jam DVDs. I've never seen this anywhere.

Care to show some proof? For a pearl jam show and not for another show where he is using one?
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I'm not bothered. I always get the lyrics wrong when I sing them.
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    Hand held teleprompter?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwOstDq4Yeo
    Love it!
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    SEACIDE wrote:
    Hand held teleprompter?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwOstDq4Yeo
    Love it!

Is he flinging something into the audience?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,048
    edited May 2016
    Seems he has a prompter now.

Not a fan of it.

How many tours untill he goes all Bruce and has a teleprompter ;)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    If he needs it to get himself going on a certain verse or to start a song, what's the big deal?
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I think he's had it now for a few tours hasn't he?
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    I noticed a teleprompter at GCF last year. I only saw it during Redemption Song though.

And no, he shouldn't use a teleprompter IMO
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,465
    edited May 2016
    No
    Post edited by KV4053 on
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,736
    I have to say no as well. Sometimes the audience gets to bail him out of a jam which is always pretty special and adds energy to the performance.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I don't really care either way. What I have noticed especially this tour when bringing out the old or rare jams he struggles with lyrics a bit and covers it up with a grunt or growl instead.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    UndrakanUndrakan Donostia - San Sebastian Posts: 113

No! It gives each performance it's own character.

Agree.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    That box directly in front of him that looks like a speaker is actually hollow and filled with lyric sheets. He should use them more often. ;)