Unwritten Rules

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
i never understood the don't bunt to break up a no hitter rule.

does that mean, the lead off hitter can't bunt to start a game or does this rule only come into play after the 5th inning?
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    :think:
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I say do whatever it take to get a hit, all the time.

I dont even agree with lightening up when there's a blow-out. play hard all the time I say, and when you're on fire, take advantage. Embarrass the other team, I dont care.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

I dont even agree with lightening up when there's a blow-out. play hard all the time I say, and when you're on fire, take advantage. Embarrass the other team, I dont care.

would you give the green light to steal second in the top of the 9th with an 8 run lead :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423

1-0 or 2-0 game do everything you can to get on base as game is still in doubt.

other than that i'm drilling you in the back or head as you run up the line if you bunt to break up a no-hitter in the 6th or later.
    81 wrote:

would you give the green light to steal second in the top of the 9th with an 8 run lead :?:

Well, no, I suppose not. But thats simply because the game is mostly locked up and steals arent that important. Never lighten up on hitting though.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    pjhawks wrote:

other than that i'm drilling you in the back or head as you run up the line if you bunt to break up a no-hitter in the 6th or later.

Thats fine, and understandable. And there goes your shutout down the drain too. :lol:
    A hit is a hit. These guys get paid for their BA. Never lighten up. I'd rather be proud of a no hitter you had to work for than know people played with reservations because of a stupid unwritten rule.
    pjhawks wrote:

even if that could lead to a big inning? how many times have we seen a pitcher go 7+ innings with a no hitter, than give up a clean hit....and anouther and anouther. lot of times, once that first hit happens, the flood gates open.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I would lean in on a perfect game situation.
    LloydXmas wrote:
    I would lean in on a perfect game situation.
    :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    81 wrote:

does that mean, the lead off hitter can't bunt to start a game or does this rule only come into play after the 5th inning?
    You understand the rule better after breaking it and then someone throws a 97 mph ball at your noggin.
    still trying to wrap my head around exactly what constitutes a balk
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I think........
    It's when you hesitate
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    th?id=H.4564039483721007&pid=15.1
    Jason P wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    th?id=H.4564039483721007&pid=15.1

:fp: :lol:
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:

You understand the rule better after breaking it and then someone throws a 97 mph ball at your noggin.

what if it's a 4 run game, in the 7th and you have one of the top bunters/speed guys in the game leading off, and the defense is playing back?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    what if it's a 4 run game, in the 7th and you have one of the top bunters/speed guys in the game leading off, and the defense is playing back?
    again ... this guy ... aiming for your noggin, on purpose, as a result. :(

th?id=H.4824808396751378&pid=15.1
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    LloydXmas wrote:
    It's when you hesitate

It's when you don't hesitate. You must come to a pause before you deliver to the plate.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    If it's a close game with a no-hitter going, I think it's ok for any speed guy bunt for a hit. Not a guy like Ben Davis v. Schilling.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    If it's a close game with a no-hitter going, I think it's ok for any speed guy bunt for a hit. Not a guy like Ben Davis v. Schilling.

2-0 game at that point. get a guy on...smack a HR, tie game.

it should be noted tho, Schilling game up 2 other hits in that game.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • shepshep Posts: 5,761
    when I saw the title, I thought we might be talking about something interesting..

but baseball?

**turns and leaves**
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    81 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

2-0 game at that point. get a guy on...smack a HR, tie game.

it should be noted tho, Schilling game up 2 other hits in that game.

I would think that Ben Davis has better odds of getting a hit swinging away rather than bunting.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    shep wrote:
    when I saw the title, I thought we might be talking about something interesting..

but baseball?

**turns and leaves**

Like the unwritten rules of the road?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:

If John Kruk could handle it... :lol:
  • Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:

I say bunt away. But clearly I dont have to get in the box to face the Big Pockmark or some other pitcher who is going to buzz the tower of the next hitter if I bunt on him.
    Herm Edwards said it best (or at least in the funniest way -- you play, to win, the game!
    If that means your guys get plunked then charge the mound and wipe big bird out.
    If I were a pitcher I am sure I would stick up for this unwritten rule. Not sure of another situation where I would though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I never understood the concept of automatically walking someone, like back in the day, :lol: Ryan Howard, just because you don’t want “that guy” to be the one to beat you. Well, if you walk him, you’re just increasing the scoring opportunity for that same team.
    shep wrote:

but baseball?

**turns and leaves**

i just started with baseball, but the topic is unwritten rules so feel free to discuss non baseball unwritten rules....unless there is a unwritten rule that i am not aware of that is against discussing non baseball unwritten rules.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I never understood the concept of automatically walking someone, like back in the day, :lol: Ryan Howard, just because you don’t want “that guy” to be the one to beat you. Well, if you walk him, you’re just increasing the scoring opportunity for that same team.

Barry Bonds....120 times in 2004

would you rather face a guy hitting 360 with big time power with 2 on and 2 out, or the next guy that is hitting 275 with less power and a higher strike out ratio

that said, i would not walk him with the bases loaded, although that happened a few times
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:

Barry Bonds....120 times in 2004

would you rather face a guy hitting 360 with big time power with 2 on and 2 out, or the next guy that is hitting 275 with less power and a higher strike out ratio

that said, i would not walk him with the bases loaded, although that happened a few times

No one has a higher strike out ratio than Ryan Howard :lol::lol: (actually I have no clue, just had to say it)

Bonds was the first one I thought of. But there is NO guarantee he's going to beat you, so I don't get it being automatic

I understand the odds, but it's still not a guarantee