2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • pearljam133pearljam133 Posts: 202
    CharlieP wrote:
    I totally hear you.
    It's the only PJ song I never really liked. Due to the same reasons you mention
    Nice to hear I'm not the only one
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field
    10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I like it bunches.
    And I think it balances out No Code perfectly.

Is it not Mike Watt influenced? ...Speaking as a child of the 70s vs. 90s? :mrgreen:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • The song would of been fine if it was a B-side. Like Ole. As it is... its one of the few songs I don't care for on the albums. Evacuation is coming to mind as the other least favorite.
  • CharliePCharlieP Posts: 1,035
    Strangely enough No code is my favourite PJ album.
    But Habit has just always felt a little off center for me.
    That said, I praise the album for its much varied stuff but Habit still never really did anything for me....

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• CharliePCharlieP Posts: 1,035
    Habit, Olé and Sweet Lew.
    Never really dug those.
    But those are the only 3 songs I can think of....how many other bands have bad songs you can count on one hand after 10 albums?? :shock:

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,049
    jumbojet wrote:

It is OK to be teenager and form opinions. I will not try to preach you or anytg, just bear in mind that your horizons can change widely as you age.
    I remember when I was a teenager; seeing Paul Simon, Boy in the Bubble album on the top of the lists and buying it only to hate it. I didnt get it at that time but years later, I was going out my mind with it. These kind of things happen as you go through life.
    One day, you may wanna revisit this song. It is just brilliant, as the entire PJ catalogue.

Sooo Dissident and Glorified G still has a chance to grow on me even after 20 years?!?! i hope so, it is annoying having to skip those songs when they come on my player.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,529
    Habit kicks ass. You Sir, do not.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Driftin'AlongDriftin'Along Posts: 1,403
    At the beginning of my No Code experience I didn't really have much love for Habit either. I remember taking the disc to a guitar lesson so I could learn how to play something from the album (hoping to learn Off He Goes) but my teacher picked out Habit. He explained some things about the song that I would never have picked up on otherwise that made me respect it. For example, the altered tuning, changed key for the solo (my teacher was impressed because during the first verse he claimed to already know what the solo would sound like and was completely wrong). He also commented on the drums being amazing. Needless to say, from that day on I had a new respect for the song. Also to mirror what some others here have said, the lyrics and message of the song are great.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    Go back. Listen to the studio version once more. Focus mostly on the drums. Classic Jack Irons. Then do what thou wilt with it.

If those of you still think it's one of their worst, consider that it will always play second fiddle to the worst song in the cagalogue, Help, Help.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    Love it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lpeddlelpeddle Posts: 293
    I'm with the op. Not a big fan of the song.
  • Aside from my thoughts on the song itself, it's very refreshing to see a topic in the Forum, where others can share an opinion without being ostracized.
    :clap: :thumbup:
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Hands down, my favorite PJ song. Hearing it come up for the first time on the Who You Are single completely blew me away, and is to this day one of the musical highlights of my life. I admittedly favor the heavier songs in the catalogue, but the way the heaviness is offset by the harmonies of "never thought you'd habit", is just genius. I totally understand how it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I could listen to that song all day (even though I hate the way they have played it live since 2000).
    If you can find it (it's somewhere on youtube), the version with Mike Watt and Dace Grohl is AMAZING.
  • one of my favorite songs to sing along to. The rage in Eddie's voice and heaviness makes me want to drive fast.
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Habit is a great song. And a earlier post above mentioned the PJ20 version. Yes that live pj20 song kicked ass. They really slammed it out. That song alone that night was worth the price of admission.

I wish they played it more live but Ed says its to hard on his voice to play on to many occasions.
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Definitely one of my FAVOURITE songs! The last of the heavy songs post-Vitalogy/Vs. Brilliant song, released at the right time lyrically.
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    for sure is kick ass song live!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Hands down, my favorite PJ song. Hearing it come up for the first time on the Who You Are single completely blew me away, and is to this day one of the musical highlights of my life. I admittedly favor the heavier songs in the catalogue, but the way the heaviness is offset by the harmonies of "never thought you'd habit", is just genius. I totally understand how it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I could listen to that song all day (even though I hate the way they have played it live since 2000).
    If you can find it (it's somewhere on youtube), the version with Mike Watt and Dace Grohl is AMAZING.

+1.
    Just listened to Soldier Field-95 version yesterday. WOHA. Fell off the couch.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    Love this song. Maybe not in my very top tier but way up there. Love it live too, but I'm gonna go back and listen to some of those earlier versions.
  • Reading this chain 6.5 years later after one of my No Code listening sessions (fav album.) Not sure why this did not dawn on me early.  Habit rocks and I love it live, but at the same time maybe near the bottom of tracks on No Code if forced to rank.  Of course the message is simple and important, but what struck me on the repetitive lyric is how well it fits the message.  Speaking as a child of the 90s... addiction sucks.  Sometimes it seems impossible to break the pattern.  Just seemingly keeps repeating over and over. I wonder if that was part of the original intent... Anyways, cheers all!
    Great song....wish they would play it more but I remember Eddie saying at PJ20 that it destroys his voice.  Liam Finn sang it that night and blew everyone away

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    edited January 2020
    Great song....wish they would play it more but I remember Eddie saying at PJ20 that it destroys his voice.  Liam Finn sang it that night and blew everyone away
    Habit performed by Liam and Ed on the side stage during the day was fucking incredible as well with the two of them switching back and forth on drums and guitar/vocals
    Habit performed by Liam and Ed on the side stage during the day was fucking incredible as well
    I missed it....actually I don't remember if I even knew they did it

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    Habit performed by Liam and Ed on the side stage during the day was fucking incredible as well
    It was phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqCYgPgnwZY
  • If you can find it (it's somewhere on youtube), the version with Mike Watt and Dace Grohl is AMAZING.
    https://youtu.be/RVroZFSYP00

Dude so awesome, Mike Watts incredible
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    The outtro. So glad I was in attendance for this show.
    https://youtu.be/mJ6S3KrNhBA
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Habit is pearl jam giving a masterclass on discordant melody and chord progression. 

You’re suppose to love this song for the disharmony between the vocal and guitar melodies.  

Its true musical genius from a band that can give you easy straight forward melodies but also challenge the listener with ones that are more difficult to grasp. 

If you don't get the song, thats fine, but don't say its their worst song. 

Its one of their god damn best songs. 

Speaking as a child of 90s. 
  • Great song....wish they would play it more but I remember Eddie saying at PJ20 that it destroys his voice.  Liam Finn sang it that night and blew everyone away
    It was phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqCYgPgnwZY
    Dammit! And I was in the parking lot party waiting for PJ. Walked in around Strokes. Missed a lot