Options

We're Awesome.

Comments

• Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    jumbojet wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:
    I should have said she cooks "us" dinner every night.. 8-)

Sauerkraut?

Don't call her that. I met her, she seems very nice ;) .

Hahahah.
    My point is, stay away from german food.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    I have a love affair with Germans.
    Just finished my first German language course a few days ago!

Ich liebe Pearl Jam und meinen Freunde.

^(sorry to the Germans if I got the grammar wrong)

Me too. Lived there like 5 years and cant deny the German cars, beer and the beauty of the whole country itself.

But the language. Oh my... You really have to be very very tough to go through with it. They wont give you the real shit at first. But when you have the 5x7 dativ matrix in front of you to be memorized, you'll see what you've signed up for.

Ich wunsche dir viel gluck. Wir fahren nach Berlin.

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    jumbojet wrote:

Me too. Lived there like 5 years and cant deny the German cars, beer and the beauty of the whole country itself.

But the language. Oh my... You really have to be very very tough to go through with it. They wont give you the real shit at first. But when you have the 5x7 dativ matrix in front of you to be memorized, you'll see what you've signed up for.

Yeah, for real. Not much a fan of the German language. I studied and love French. I also lived in Czech and have an affinity for that too. (Though Princess B. is welcome to speak to me in any language she wants.)
  • Options
    TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    We are pretty freakin' awesome. I haven't been on here for a while (usually B+Ping but it's been long time!!) but due to personal circumstance I've been preoccupied but I know that if I needed anything the PJ family would be right there willing to help ;)
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    Yes, we are awesome. :D
    When I first joined I was quickly blown away by how amazing this little community is. I hadn't even been aware that such things like this went on before that. After a while you kind of get used to it, but never stop appreciating it! The people around here are fantastic, and the generosity and friendliness and openness is really heartwarming. :)
    Nice thread October22.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I have to agree with PJ_Soul on this! Nice thread in deed!
  • Options
    october22 wrote:

(Though Princess B. is welcome to speak to me in any language she wants.)

Haha, hate to deliver this news but you got tough competition there. German guys are really handsome and sophisticated. Maybe by humor, you can beat them.

• Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    When I first joined I was quickly blown away by how amazing this little community is. I hadn't even been aware that such things like this went on before that. After a while you kind of get used to it, but never stop appreciating it! The people around here are fantastic, and the generosity and friendliness and openness is really heartwarming. :)
    Nice thread October22.

pffffttt....Canadians...

:D
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:

she does..

and does it very well..

she is an amazing person..

she truly cares for me..

and cares what I eat..

apparently she wants to be sure I hang around for years to come..

What a great feeling! :D

again, thank you 10c

Man, that is what women do. When I was dating with my wife, I was on the verge of obesity, ate frozen and junk food like hell, drank beer like every day and never did no sports. Now I lost like 15 kg, eat fruits and salad a lot, often train at home with dumbbells or treadmill. Still into beer and snacks but do it only on week-ends.

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    jumbojet wrote:
    october22 wrote:

Haha, hate to deliver this news but you got tough competition there. German guys are really handsome and sophisticated. Maybe by humor, you can beat them.

hopes crushed....

• Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Nice thread October22.

pffffttt....Canadians...

Yeah, I was having a "Canadian moment."... I was hammered. :lol::mrgreen:

I guess you guys are okay. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    jumbojet wrote:

:lol::lol: Princess Bulldozer, you're doing fine :thumbup: I have no problems with the German language, obviously. From the languages that I learned, I thought Russian and Finnish were the hardest. And Latin :fp:
    Our Russian teacher once told us if you want to compare learning languages to geometrical figues, then English would be a triangle with the tip down and the bottom up (it starts easy, but becomes more complicated after a while), French is the other way around (starting complicated, but becoming easier once you get the rules), and Russian is a square :lol: I think she is right.
  • Options
    jumbojet wrote:

:lol::lol: Princess Bulldozer, you're doing fine :thumbup: I have no problems with the German language, obviously. From the languages that I learned, I thought Russian and Finnish were the hardest. And Latin :fp:
    Our Russian teacher once told us if you want to compare learning languages to geometrical figues, then English would be a triangle with the tip down and the bottom up (it starts easy, but becomes more complicated after a while), French is the other way around (starting complicated, but becoming easier once you get the rules), and Russian is a square :lol: I think she is right.

Another language junkie. :)
    I am glad that I am not the only Russian-speaking one here in this forum.
    But with your geometrical figures, I would put German into an Egyptian pryamid, like even after thousands of years, noone understands why and how they were built.

And on a personal note, what made you study those languages, sir?

• Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    What makes the German language uniquely awful IMHO is the articles. The declensions you get in Latin and Russian just as bad but the great thing about Russian anyway (I never actually studied Latin) is the lack of useless articles. The declensions (cases) make the language terrific for poetry, word order doesn't matter so much, leading to wider range of expressive capability. German is strict about word order, those damned articles all have as many cases as the nouns-- it's just exasperating. And it's not even pretty. But I've got to work on it. We're determined to have our little girl be bilingual and her grandparents barely speak a word of English.
  • Options
    ladydocNYC wrote:
    What makes the German language uniquely awful IMHO is the articles. The declensions you get in Latin and Russian just as bad but the great thing about Russian anyway (I never actually studied Latin) is the lack of useless articles. The declensions (cases) make the language terrific for poetry, word order doesn't matter so much, leading to wider range of expressive capability. German is strict about word order, those damned articles all have as many cases as the nouns-- it's just exasperating. And it's not even pretty. But I've got to work on it. We're determined to have our little girl be bilingual and her grandparents barely speak a word of English.

Agree. :thumbup:
    Still expect to see you here at a hypothetical PJ show in Russia. :)

• Options
    jumbojet wrote:
    ladydocNYC wrote:

Agree. :thumbup:
    Still expect to see you here at a hypothetical PJ show in Russia. :)

I hope they do it and I hope I get to come! They should have tagged St. Petersburg onto Scandinavia last summer!

BTW I'm not fluent in Russian or anything... I was getting pretty good when I was studying it but that was a long time ago!
  • Options
    jumbojet wrote:
    But with your geometrical figures, I would put German into an Egyptian pryamid, like even after thousands of years, noone understands why and how they were built.

I was always a language afficionado. My first foreign language was Russian (I grew up in the former GDR), and when I started high school, my parents sent me to a language oriented school where we had to take Latin classes and then could choose more. I went with English, French and Spanish. All of that was not too hard with Latin as the basis :) At university, I studied English and took Finnish classes when I studied a semester abroad in Finland.
    I cannot speak all these languages as good as German and English, but I do have an understanding. Which comes in handy when you are subtitling operas for example.

I can see where people have difficulties with the German articles and cases, but let me tell you one thing - Finnish has 15 noun cases! :lol: And it is a Finno-Ugric language, not related to any of the other European languages... They don't use articles, but put endings to every noun according to how it is used. It looks funny, and sounds great, but it was hard as hell to learn and to this day I cannot even read the newspaper :lol:

Oh, and I'm a girl ;)

LadyfromNYC - are you German too?
  • Options
    jumbojet wrote:

I was always a language afficionado. My first foreign language was Russian (I grew up in the former GDR), and when I started high school, my parents sent me to a language oriented school where we had to take Latin classes and then could choose more. I went with English, French and Spanish. All of that was not too hard with Latin as the basis :) At university, I studied English and took Finnish classes when I studied a semester abroad in Finland.
    I cannot speak all these languages as good as German and English, but I do have an understanding. Which comes in handy when you are subtitling operas for example.

I can see where people have difficulties with the German articles and cases, but let me tell you one thing - Finnish has 15 noun cases! :lol: And it is a Finno-Ugric language, not related to any of the other European languages... They don't use articles, but put endings to every noun according to how it is used. It looks funny, and sounds great, but it was hard as hell to learn and to this day I cannot even read the newspaper :lol:

Oh, and I'm a girl ;)

Damn, but believe me, you are like the 12th person in this forum I am confusing the gender. Looks like I have a talent for that or I am cursed somehow.

I should have known that someone good with languages should most probably be a girl. :)

OK, if you grew up in GDR, your German doesnt count as foreign language. But I see that from your experience from Finnish, you understand how we have suffered with German.

Anyway, kudos to you. I'm glad to find out m fellow PJ fans are such talented. 8-)

• Options

No, I'm from the US, but my husband is German, from a small town near Bremen. He lived there till he was in his early 30s, then came here. We usually go to Germany once a year. In fact we just got back from visiting his parents in Kuhlungsborn on the Baltic coast (former GDR too). It was lovely.

I can't even imagine learning a language w/ 15 cases! I'm sure Finnish isn't the only language a lot harder to learn than any I've studied (and overall I'd say Russian is harder than German at least at a beginner-intermediate level).

I think we kind of derailed this thread-- apologies to everyone who isn't into this tangent...
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,212
    ladydocNYC wrote:

No, I'm from the US, but my husband is German, from a small town near Bremen. He lived there till he was in his early 30s, then came here. We usually go to Germany once a year. In fact we just got back from visiting his parents in Kuhlungsborn on the Baltic coast (former GDR too). It was lovely.

I can't even imagine learning a language w/ 15 cases! I'm sure Finnish isn't the only language a lot harder to learn than any I've studied (and overall I'd say Russian is harder than German at least at a beginner-intermediate level).

I think we kind of derailed this thread-- apologies to everyone who isn't into this tangent...
    Ha ha. You have all kind of de-railed the thread, thread-jacked it, but it's been cool reading & on the other hand it is pretty fucken awesome how many multi-lingual 10c peeps there are & pretty fucken awesome how multi-lingual some of you are! Down here in NZ multi-lingual is rather a rarity(possibly more common now with a lot more people of Asian descent here now). When I was at school(in the way distant past) you could take French & Latin but that's way different to actually speaking a language anyway.

So, there we go, you multi-lingual 10c peeps are AWESOME!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    So a bit more back on topic: do you all think the band has any idea how much the community has come to mean? I mean, I know they know there are a lot of touring fans, and a dedicated now multigenerational fan base. But do you think they know that people who otherwise wouldn't have known each other have come to really care about one another and in some cases even turn to or help people who were otherwise strangers in hard times? I know not everyone among the hardcore fan base likes to emphasize the community aspects, some don't even feel it as a source of connection on a personal level, but for so many of us it IS that. Seems like they'd really like that, maybe even take some pride in it.
  • Options
    your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    I know what you mean but in a strange way it's not really about them, or even about the music - that's just the connecting thread. I don't know if it's because the band tends to draw a particular type of person as a fan or not but the goodness I see from so many people on the boards and the friendships I've made are nolonger based on music
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    ladydocNYC wrote:
    So a bit more back on topic: do you all think the band has any idea how much the community has come to mean? I mean, I know they know there are a lot of touring fans, and a dedicated now multigenerational fan base. But do you think they know that people who otherwise wouldn't have known each other have come to really care about one another and in some cases even turn to or help people who were otherwise strangers in hard times? I know not everyone among the hardcore fan base likes to emphasize the community aspects, some don't even feel it as a source of connection on a personal level, but for so many of us it IS that. Seems like they'd really like that, maybe even take some pride in it.
    It seems like they do know. They did talk about that in The Fans Are Alright, plus they've probably heard a lot about it directly from fans. I'm sure they still get fan mail, and they talk to people, etc. I doubt they take any credit for it though.
  • Options
    ladydocNYC wrote:

This is a legit question, one that even seems to deserve to have its own thread.

As for my take on it; not only the band is aware of it, but it is universally a known fact that there is a PJ community. And what a community does is look after each other.

Personally I think that anybody posting in this forum actively is doing that somehow with the intention of connecting with other PJ fans. 10C obliges you to be a member for tickets, etc... but it doesn't oblige you to post here.

• Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    jumbojet wrote:

:lol::lol: Princess Bulldozer, you're doing fine :thumbup: I have no problems with the German language, obviously.

Danke schön!
    It is hard living in a Australia though, I don't have much exposure to other German speakers. I have been trying to look for conversation groups, but they don't seem to exist in my city :(
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    october22 wrote:
    jumbojet wrote:
    october22 wrote:

hopes crushed....

I am in a very happy relationship with an Australian. Though technically he was born in Germany to British parents before moving to Australia, after 12 years in Germany. ;)
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options

Though technically he was born in Germany to British parents before moving to Australia, after 12 years in Germany. ;)

Princess B., I've been on your side till now but sorry, your story doesn't add up. So your b/f lived in Germany till 12 and this makes you wanna study German?

Do you have to master everything your b/f faced as a child?

• Options
    Maybe he identifies as German. The first 12 years are pretty formative. I have a good friend who moved to the US from Russia at age 13 and though in most respects she's American, that was the culture in which she grew up. True, it's less so if the parents aren't themselves German, but anyway it may be a major part of his identity.

Anyway I hope we haven't alienated Princess B. Maybe she'll reply. :corn:
  • Options
    jumbojet wrote:

Though technically he was born in Germany to British parents before moving to Australia, after 12 years in Germany. ;)

Princess B., I've been on your side till now but sorry, your story doesn't add up. So your b/f lived in Germany till 12 and this makes you wanna study German?

Do you have to master everything your b/f faced as a child?
    What's wrong with doing that?? Makes sense to me... he probably has German family members and friends and stuff who speak German, and he probably wants to speak his native language sometimes too. Why wouldn't she choose to learn that language if she was into learning one? ... Anyway, the whole conversation completely derailed what could have been a good thread. Maybe next time take it to PM. Sorry October22.
  • Options
    Cav and I re-celebrated our wedding last Sunday (we eloped, but the family was not too happy with that :lol: ), and incorporated some PJ stuff into the wedding itself (the tables had names of PJ songs, the three crooked hearts were on the invitations and the cake, we danced to Longing to belong ...) and that got me thinking about how we met in the first place again - at the PJ20 pre-party. I was so excited about the whole thing, it was my first trip to the US and I went alone, meeting people that I got to know on here. I shared a motel room with Dimi whom I only knew online before, Black Diamond, chime IrishAl and theserialthrilla picked me up from the airport and of course I met Cav! ... My parents and friends at home probably thought I was nuts going to this big country all on my own relying on strangers from an internet forum (heck, even I don't understand how I could be so courageous to drive from Chicago to Detroit to meet a guy I barely knew :lol: ). But I had a blast! Almost everybody I met on my trip (as well as on other PJ events) was awesome :thumbup: So yeah, we're awesome! We take care of one another, we help each other out, in normal times as well as and especially in tour times. I am so happy for everybody I got to know through this forum. :wave:

Oh, and we also went to Kühlungsborn all the time on vacation when I was a child :D