Options

Is the GA SF show gonna be rough?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    I'm sure a lot of it will depend on the setlist as well. If they come out with Severed Hand, Breakerfall, Brain of J, Save You, Whipping, ect......it may get a bit crazy. However, if they keep it somewhat tame, I'm sure the crowd will respond accordingly.

Whatever it is, I'm very interested to hear about it.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    brainofPJ wrote:
    so you listen to slipknot and linkin park, huh?

Just listen to the song on his myspace page to see how fucking hardcore he is.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    fragileblakefragileblake Posts: 718
    offwego wrote:
    All I have to say is put your boots on and get ready for a war, I personally would like to see some stage and balcony diving.

Maybe people will get hurt! That would be AWESOME~!!!!
  • Options
    Blue27Blue27 Posts: 42
    I've never been to SF, so I can't speak on that specifically. What I can tell you about is my experience last night at the Hollywood g.a. show. It was an absolute nightmare for me! The band was awesome and the crowd was totally into it. But it only takes a few fucks to destroy it all. I'm hoping my experience was due to the fact that it was a bunch of KROQ winners instead of only PJ fans. I can't imagine PJ fans treating someone the way that these jerks treated me last night. Not even at other shows have I been treated that badly.

There were about 4-5 separate drunk-off-their-ass, huge, tall, heavyset guys that were pummelling me during the entire show. It was so ridiculous because as soon as I'd get away from one of those fools, another one just like him would end up right behind me again. I'm a 5'4", 105 lb. woman, and these guys were taking full advantage of that. I kept getting pushed every which way, smacked into left and right - my head, my face, my back. I kept looking around, and it didn't seem that anyone else was getting treated like that, mostly because it was all guys around me or girls that were there with a guy. They weren't about to fuck around with another guy like that, but they did it to me. It was fully intentional, absolutely no regard for me at all. Most everyone else around me was being cool and just having a good time. I understand the fully pumped-up excitement, the dancing, the jumping up and down, the hands in the air - I've been to tons of shows, many g.a., and I've been in pits without any problems. Yeah, it's crowded and hot, and you get pushed around, but this was different - this was abusive.

First there was this one HUGE guy beating into me from behind, practically on top of me, with the ENTIRE force and weight of his body. I was like, "WTF, dude," and he claimed he had NO control over it as he was being pushed, too. But that was crap because there was NOBODY anywhere near the back of him since he was being such a mass of movement that everyone behind him backed off. It was just him alone pushing into me, and I had nowhere to go, slamming into the poor people in front of me. I finally managed to get away from him, and for a bit it was fine again, but then more idiots ended up behind me - drunk fucks who bully and push their way forward.

It's funny how it's never the regular-sized guys, it's never girls, it's never sober people. It's always the 7', 5,000 lb. wasted morons who do this crap and ruin everything. You simply have no right. We are all there to enjoy the show. We can all do it with as much energy and excitement without literally beating up on someone. For most of the show, this other ass without a shirt (and his friend) kept throwing his fist, his elbow, his entire arm into my face. I don't know how I didn't end up with a broken nose or busted teeth. I tried to maneauver away from him, and when he saw me doing that, he put his fist on the top of my head, and starting pushing me down with all his might. He was yelling into my ear, "How are you doing now? Is that better, is that good for you?" All while he was smashing my head down, laughing at me. He kept putting his hands on me, my back, my waist, my head. He would pull my hair and yank my head back, and he'd pull at my pants. What a massively evil jackass!

And there was NOTHING I could do. I was completely immobile, smashed to the point where I could barely breathe. I couldn't leave even if I wanted to. But I shouldn't have to leave! I got tickets, I got there with plenty of time, I got my spot in the crowd, and I was ready to enjoy the show just as much as anyone else without actually beating up on anyone to get my thrills. You can't mosh, you can't hit people on purpose, you just can't do that. There are hundreds of people around that you have to be aware of. It's not only about you and what you want to do! You think I don't want to dance all around instead of in place and throw my arms about and go nuts? But I can't because there are other people involved, not just me. You should leave the pit if you're going to abuse people, I shouldn't have to leave when I haven't done anything wrong! I want to see that band up close just as much as anyone, and I should be allowed to without fearing for my life. And these dumb "security" guys who are witnessing it all and don't do a damn thing. Get these idiots out of the crowd until they learn to control themselves!

Again, getting pushed around and being forced to sway with the crowd, that's cool, that's fine, that's totally expected. But having a fist come down on you on purpose? Fucking ridiculous! And these guys pushing into you with ALL their damn might, slamming their entire weight on you to the point where you can't stand on your own two feet, fists flying in your face. I really don't know how I didn't end up on the ground. I started the night on the far end of Mike's side, about 10-15 "rows" of people back, and I ended up about 3 people away from the stage directly in front of Eddie without even meaning to. (And no, it wasn't cool being that close because, for the most part, I couldn't see jackshit anyway.) That's how far and how much these assholes pushed me around. I could not keep my feet grounded for the life of me. I'm so sorry to the few people in front of me that I kept slamming into, my elbows and hands jammed into their ribs and backs - I simply could not stop it.

There was this one guy next to me who saved me, and I wish to God I knew his name so I could publicly thank him. When he saw what was happening to me, he tried to stop them. He kept saying, "Man, guys, just be cool, will you? Give this girl a break, leave her alone." I could barely see him out of the corner of my eye since I couldn't even move my head to the side, but I could tell that he was more worried about me than trying to just focus on the show. He would put his hands out, trying to deflect some of the fists coming at me, he would push his weight back, trying to get them off from being on top of me. He finally managed to get some space around him, and he grabbed me and pulled me in front of him, creating a barrier between me and those guys with his own body. "Indifference" started soon after that, and all my emotion came out during that song! I was able to enjoy it all much more, but by then, it was pretty much done. Like I told him when the show was over - if only there were more people like him in this world! He told me he knew I had been hanging in there since the very beginning of the show, and I deserved to be there. If you read this, Kid, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

So, again, the point to all this is that even if most crowds are cool, it only takes ONE person to make it awful. And sometimes, the situation you're in controls you, and you can't do anything about it. So be really careful because the people who have the physical ability to cause the most damage to another human being are usually the ones that are the most irresponsible in a general admission crowd.
    11/6+7/95 SD Sports-9/16/96 SEA Key-7/10/98 SD Cox-7/13+14/98 LA Forum-10/24/00 LA Greek-10/25/00 SD Sports-10/28/00 DEV Glen Helen-6/2+3/03 IRV Meadows-6/5/03 SD Sports-6/6/03 LV MGM-7/8+9/03 NYC MSG-9/1/05 GEO Gorge-7/6/06 LV MGM-7/7/06 SD Cox-7/9+10/06 LA Forum-7/12/06 LA Fonda-7/13/06 SB Bowl-7/12/08 LA Pauley Pav-6/1/09 LA Universal-9+10/30+1+6+7/09 LA Gibson-10/9/09 SD Viejas-11/21/13 SD Viejas-11/23+24/13 LA Sports-11/26/13 OAK Oracle
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    rrivers wrote:
    Just listen to the song on his myspace page to see how fucking hardcore he is.

ian mackaye (of fugazi/minor threat) can play anything he pleases

typical dumbass response from a typical dumbass pearl jam fan.

no wonder I am usually ashamed to admit I like pearl jam.
  • Options
    ian mackaye (of fugazi/minor threat) can play anything he pleases

typical dumbass response from a typical dumbass pearl jam fan.

no wonder I am usually ashamed to admit I like pearl jam.

I was just fucking around. I liked the song. Chill.

You were the one talking about how "hardcore" you are.
  • Options
    Blue27 wrote:
    I've never been to SF, so I can't speak on that specifically. What I can tell you about is my experience last night at the Hollywood g.a. show. It was an absolute nightmare for me! The band was awesome and the crowd was totally into it. But it only takes a few fucks to destroy it all. I'm hoping my experience was due to the fact that it was a bunch of KROQ winners instead of only PJ fans. I can't imagine PJ fans treating someone the way that these jerks treated me last night. Not even at other shows have I been treated that badly.

There were about 4-5 separate drunk-off-their-ass, huge, tall, heavyset guys that were pummelling me during the entire show. It was so ridiculous because as soon as I'd get away from one of those fools, another one just like him would end up right behind me again. I'm a 5'4", 105 lb. woman, and these guys were taking full advantage of that. I kept getting pushed every which way, smacked into left and right - my head, my face, my back. I kept looking around, and it didn't seem that anyone else was getting treated like that, mostly because it was all guys around me or girls that were there with a guy. They weren't about to fuck around with another guy like that, but they did it to me. It was fully intentional, absolutely no regard for me at all. Most everyone else around me was being cool and just having a good time. I understand the fully pumped-up excitement, the dancing, the jumping up and down, the hands in the air - I've been to tons of shows, many g.a., and I've been in pits without any problems. Yeah, it's crowded and hot, and you get pushed around, but this was different - this was abusive.

First there was this one HUGE guy beating into me from behind, practically on top of me, with the ENTIRE force and weight of his body. I was like, "WTF, dude," and he claimed he had NO control over it as he was being pushed, too. But that was crap because there was NOBODY anywhere near the back of him since he was being such a mass of movement that everyone behind him backed off. It was just him alone pushing into me, and I had nowhere to go, slamming into the poor people in front of me. I finally managed to get away from him, and for a bit it was fine again, but then more idiots ended up behind me - drunk fucks who bully and push their way forward.

It's funny how it's never the regular-sized guys, it's never girls, it's never sober people. It's always the 7', 5,000 lb. wasted morons who do this crap and ruin everything. You simply have no right. We are all there to enjoy the show. We can all do it with as much energy and excitement without literally beating up on someone. For most of the show, this other ass without a shirt (and his friend) kept throwing his fist, his elbow, his entire arm into my face. I don't know how I didn't end up with a broken nose or busted teeth. I tried to maneauver away from him, and when he saw me doing that, he put his fist on the top of my head, and starting pushing me down with all his might. He was yelling into my ear, "How are you doing now? Is that better, is that good for you?" All while he was smashing my head down, laughing at me. He kept putting his hands on me, my back, my waist, my head. He would pull my hair and yank my head back, and he'd pull at my pants. What a massively evil jackass!

And there was NOTHING I could do. I was completely immobile, smashed to the point where I could barely breathe. I couldn't leave even if I wanted to. But I shouldn't have to leave! I got tickets, I got there with plenty of time, I got my spot in the crowd, and I was ready to enjoy the show just as much as anyone else without actually beating up on anyone to get my thrills. You can't mosh, you can't hit people on purpose, you just can't do that. There are hundreds of people around that you have to be aware of. It's not only about you and what you want to do! You think I don't want to dance all around instead of in place and throw my arms about and go nuts? But I can't because there are other people involved, not just me. You should leave the pit if you're going to abuse people, I shouldn't have to leave when I haven't done anything wrong! I want to see that band up close just as much as anyone, and I should be allowed to without fearing for my life. And these dumb "security" guys who are witnessing it all and don't do a damn thing. Get these idiots out of the crowd until they learn to control themselves!

Again, getting pushed around and being forced to sway with the crowd, that's cool, that's fine, that's totally expected. But having a fist come down on you on purpose? Fucking ridiculous! And these guys pushing into you with ALL their damn might, slamming their entire weight on you to the point where you can't stand on your own two feet, fists flying in your face. I really don't know how I didn't end up on the ground. I started the night on the far end of Mike's side, about 10-15 "rows" of people back, and I ended up about 3 people away from the stage directly in front of Eddie without even meaning to. (And no, it wasn't cool being that close because, for the most part, I couldn't see jackshit anyway.) That's how far and how much these assholes pushed me around. I could not keep my feet grounded for the life of me. I'm so sorry to the few people in front of me that I kept slamming into, my elbows and hands jammed into their ribs and backs - I simply could not stop it.

There was this one guy next to me who saved me, and I wish to God I knew his name so I could publicly thank him. When he saw what was happening to me, he tried to stop them. He kept saying, "Man, guys, just be cool, will you? Give this girl a break, leave her alone." I could barely see him out of the corner of my eye since I couldn't even move my head to the side, but I could tell that he was more worried about me than trying to just focus on the show. He would put his hands out, trying to deflect some of the fists coming at me, he would push his weight back, trying to get them off from being on top of me. He finally managed to get some space around him, and he grabbed me and pulled me in front of him, creating a barrier between me and those guys with his own body. "Indifference" started soon after that, and all my emotion came out during that song! I was able to enjoy it all much more, but by then, it was pretty much done. Like I told him when the show was over - if only there were more people like him in this world! He told me he knew I had been hanging in there since the very beginning of the show, and I deserved to be there. If you read this, Kid, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

So, again, the point to all this is that even if most crowds are cool, it only takes ONE person to make it awful. And sometimes, the situation you're in controls you, and you can't do anything about it. So be really careful because the people who have the physical ability to cause the most damage to another human being are usually the ones that are the most irresponsible in a general admission crowd.

Wow, that's messed up. If you had a camera phone, you should have taken his picture and had him arrested for sexual assult.

I remember at The Dinosaur Jr. show at the Avalon there were like 2 guys who started moshing and throwing fists everywhere and hurting people.They pretty much cleared the front part of the floor, just because they wanted to relive 1991.
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    I guess I'm the only one kinda looking forward to the open floor experience. I've attended 29 pj shows, all were seated. I wouldn't want all the shows open floor, but, I have it in me to particpate in some very close bonding with some pj friends for a few nights. That said, if some 230 pound douche bag with boots on decides to crowd surf, I'm punching him in the balls.
    tacos
  • Options
    iwasthere wrote:
    I guess I'm the only one kinda looking forward to the open floor experience. I've attended 29 pj shows, all were seated. I wouldn't want all the shows open floor, but, I have it in me to particpate in some very close bonding with some pj friends for a few nights. That said, if some 230 pound douche bag with boots on decides to crowd surf, I'm punching him in the balls.

Note to self: "Wear a cup."
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    iwasthere wrote:
    if some 230 pound douche bag with boots on decides to crowd surf, I'm punching him in the balls.
    I hear ya. If anyone around me is being an asshole or out of control I won't hesitate to ask them nicely to calm down a bit....and if they are still being assholes they might get bitchslapped.

I really want to get close in SF but I'm not gonna push or shove anyone. I mean, I'm a big guy...6'5" 220 so I definitely have the ability to be one of these pricks that you people are talking about, but I never would be. I guess I'm less worried about the whole GA thing because I'm a big guy and feel like I can handle myself, but I'd never use that against anyone. And I promise all of you that if anyone around me is getting hurt I'll be there to help out. I agree with some posts I saw on another thread that alcohol shouldn't even be served at GA shows. That being said, if you're planning on being up front and too drunk to keep your beer off of me or too drunk to be considerate of those around you then you better be wearing a fucking cup.
  • Options
    SmithySmithy Posts: 11
    I'm 6'4 200lbs. i'm offering my body guard services to any small/ short nice ladies out there. don't worry i have my own tickets. just being nice, and know i can always see and get good spots...i think it's time i give back. :)
  • Options
    Blue27 wrote:

That's terrible...sorry to hear about your shitty GA experience. Hopefully those were hollywood assholes that aren't 10C members or maybe not even PJ fans.

Although, maybe you should fwd your story to the band or to 10C so they can make sure to watch out for assholes like that in SF. Just a thought. I know they should already be watching out for it, but it blows my mind that you can be treated like this and security does absolutely nothing about it. Assholes like that need to be booted (if not arrested), no questions asked. Hurting people just isn't cool and I'm not at all above protecting myself and those around me, nor am I above calling over security to take care of any assfucks that can't control themeselves and be considerate of those around them.
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    the Showbox NVLB show in SEP 04 was pretty pushy for a small venue, and everyone was pushing with me as the focal point, lol

I expect it to be less crazy than most, but for all you shorty's out there, yes, it's gonna suck at times, and some will have issue breathing, but no I'm not moving from the front barrier, now I don't know if the breathing and suck parts are true, but those are the excuses given when someone is trying to talk me into giving up my spot, :)

I hope all have a great time and the GA on the floor doesn't keep anyone from enjoying the show.

we'll see though, might have to "Zidane" the ignorant, lol
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    Smithy wrote:
    I'm 6'4 200lbs. i'm offering my body guard services to any small/ short nice ladies out there. don't worry i have my own tickets. just being nice, and know i can always see and get good spots...i think it's time i give back. :)
    Cool....and like I already mentioned, I'm 6'5" 220lbs and I'll do the same. I really hope these are great, safe, and memorable shows for every one of us.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    rrivers wrote:
    I was just fucking around. I liked the song. Chill.

You were the one talking about how "hardcore" you are.

lol,

i would like to hear...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    the Showbox NVLB show in SEP 04 was pretty pushy for a small venue, and everyone was pushing with me as the focal point, lol

I expect it to be less crazy than most, but for all you shorty's out there, yes, it's gonna suck at times, and some will have issue breathing, but no I'm not moving from the front barrier, now I don't know if the breathing and suck parts are true, but those are the excuses given when someone is trying to talk me into giving up my spot, :)

I hope all have a great time and the GA on the floor doesn't keep anyone from enjoying the show.

we'll see though, might have to "Zidane" the ignorant, lol
    well, if you're 6' and a 5.3" woman is stuck behind you (like it was at the Astoria with a guy in front of my friends), you should put her in front of you..it's not like she's going to stop you breathing or seeing! you on the other hand are.
  • Options
    SmithySmithy Posts: 11
    Cool....and like I already mentioned, I'm 6'5" 220lbs and I'll do the same. I really hope these are great, safe, and memorable shows for every one of us.

big people protect the little ones! awesome
  • Options
    fragileblakefragileblake Posts: 718
    Pegasus wrote:
    well, if you're 6' and a 5.3" woman is stuck behind you (like it was at the Astoria with a guy in front of my friends), you should put her in front of you..it's not like she's going to stop you breathing or seeing! you on the other hand are.

I totally agree, are those of us raised to be protecting of women in the minority these days?
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    Absolutely. And while I intend to be on the rail, If there's a shorty behind me and you can't breathe or whatever then I'd be happy to trade places. But I want my time in front too, ya know? Either way, nothing is worth the risk of hurting someone else there. As badly as I want to be front and center all night long I won't ever let it come at the cost of letting people get hurt or be unsafe.
  • Options
    iamadonutiamadonut Posts: 27
    Here's hoping for the best...see you guys on Sat. and sun. and tue. :)
    150xxx 36 shows 7 Bridge Schools 3 Eddies
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    Blue27 wrote:

Oh man!! i think you may have overestimated our attention spans with this one. (just playin) Nice read though.
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    you all are little girls... we'll be fine, just watch out for the drunken 250+ lbs dumbasses... :D
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    I guess worst case scenario is we'll get to hear Arc performed live again.....oh, shit, did I really just type that?
  • Options
    booradleybooradley Posts: 42
    I'm a little one but I plan on being in the front. Watch out for the curly haired girl. I'll be on the move.
  • Options
    GlttrGrrlGlttrGrrl Posts: 129
    Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that girl's experience at the Fonda. I was tempted to stay at the back, but most of the people on the floor, with the exception of the first 10-15 rows of people pretty much stood there and you know, sang along, pumped their fists or banged their heads, but there wasn't much, if any pushing on most of the floor. Granted, the place was only 3/4 full.

My experience was totally different. The guys were more than happy to let me get in front of them if I told them they were elbowing me in the boob or if I was trying to see over their shoulders. There was a lot of jumping up and down and pushing and sweating (sweat completely through my clothes), but there were large signs on the way to the floor that said NO MOSHING and NO CROWD SURFING. There was only one drunk lameass who decided to try to barrel through me during the last encore, beer in hand and everything, yelling, "EDDIE! EDDIIIIEEEEE!" He proceeded to spill half of his beer directly on my head and told me I was too short to be in the front, so I should move to the back. He also said something like, if you're not going for the front row, I'm going through you. He was a real dick.

But all in all, the experience was AWESOME and I had a fabulous time and I'd do it again and again if I could. I felt like it was 1992.
  • Options
    booradleybooradley Posts: 42
    GlttrGrrl wrote:
    Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that girl's experience at the Fonda. I was tempted to stay at the back, but most of the people on the floor, with the exception of the first 10-15 rows of people pretty much stood there and you know, sang along, pumped their fists or banged their heads, but there wasn't much, if any pushing on most of the floor. Granted, the place was only 3/4 full.

My experience was totally different. The guys were more than happy to let me get in front of them if I told them they were elbowing me in the boob or if I was trying to see over their shoulders. There was a lot of jumping up and down and pushing and sweating (sweat completely through my clothes), but there were large signs on the way to the floor that said NO MOSHING and NO CROWD SURFING. There was only one drunk lameass who decided to try to barrel through me during the last encore, beer in hand and everything, yelling, "EDDIE! EDDIIIIEEEEE!" He proceeded to spill half of his beer directly on my head and told me I was too short to be in the front, so I should move to the back. He also said something like, if you're not going for the front row, I'm going through you. He was a real dick.

But all in all, the experience was AWESOME and I had a fabulous time and I'd do it again and again if I could. I felt like it was 1992.

Whoa.

I might bitch slap someone if they plan on acting like that near me.
  • Options
    Blue27Blue27 Posts: 42
    I just wanted to thank everyone who was sympathetic about my experience. I was actually afraid to post thinking that I'd mostly get yelled at for complaining, especially since every other post I've seen about this show is about how fantastic it was. But you all were really cool about it. And I do agree about the show itself being great and the general vibe. It was just the few jerks I kept getting stuck by that ruined it for me.

Anyway, it's nice to know you can count on the fact that most PJ fans share the same beliefs when it comes to things like the way you treat your fellow man at a show. I'm sure it had a lot to do with how many people who got into the show were not necessarily PJ fans. Glad to hear you (especially the "big" guys) will be looking out for each other in SF! Sorry I can't be there with you. My tour ended in Santa Barbara. Have a great time, all! :)
    11/6+7/95 SD Sports-9/16/96 SEA Key-7/10/98 SD Cox-7/13+14/98 LA Forum-10/24/00 LA Greek-10/25/00 SD Sports-10/28/00 DEV Glen Helen-6/2+3/03 IRV Meadows-6/5/03 SD Sports-6/6/03 LV MGM-7/8+9/03 NYC MSG-9/1/05 GEO Gorge-7/6/06 LV MGM-7/7/06 SD Cox-7/9+10/06 LA Forum-7/12/06 LA Fonda-7/13/06 SB Bowl-7/12/08 LA Pauley Pav-6/1/09 LA Universal-9+10/30+1+6+7/09 LA Gibson-10/9/09 SD Viejas-11/21/13 SD Viejas-11/23+24/13 LA Sports-11/26/13 OAK Oracle