Options

Is the GA SF show gonna be rough?

iamadonutiamadonut Posts: 27
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
So it's been like 8 years since I've been to a GA floor PJ show (Seattle 98) and I don't know what to expect for the GA SF shows that are coming up.

Are people gonna be acting stupid, throwing elbows and crowd surfing or have people mellowed down a bit? I'm not quite as limber and spritely as I used to be but I really want to be on the floor to get as close as possible.

When's the last GA show they've played and what was the crowd like?

Thanks for any insights!
150xxx 36 shows 7 Bridge Schools 3 Eddies
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    I dont think there will be any of that going on "en mass" There might be some idiots but for the most part it will be 10c up front... its gonna be tight but i think it will stay friendly... see ya there!
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    InsaneSoupInsaneSoup Posts: 37
    In North Charleston (96), I was way up on Stone's side...there were 2 barriers on the floor and two pits...the crowd looked like a boiling pot of people...it looked so surreal from way up high...
    4/16/92...8/20/92...6/19/05...6/20/05...9/24/96...10/5/96...6/14/98...9/18/98...9/19/98...9/4/00...5/3/03...7/1/03...7/12/03...5/30/06...cuz everyone seems to be doin' it....please don't jump off any bridges.
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    just multiply Atlanic City by 2..... that should give you an estimate.....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    iamadonutiamadonut Posts: 27
    How was Atlantic city? (I wasn't at teh show and haven't heard any specifics about it...")
    150xxx 36 shows 7 Bridge Schools 3 Eddies
  • Options
    gmcabralgmcabral Posts: 50
    yeah.. i'm still not sure if i'm going up front or just grabbing a seat. i think they have balcony seats around right? never been there.
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Didn't think you guys had the pit anymore in America. Thought it was just us Europeans that did that ;):D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    just multiply Atlanic City by 2..... that should give you an estimate.....

yep sounds right,, maybe the floor itself is bigger? or goes further back?
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    pj aren't even a heavy/hard band... they barely "rock"

the crowd will be easy
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    iamadonut wrote:
    So it's been like 8 years since I've been to a GA floor PJ show (Seattle 98) and I don't know what to expect for the GA SF shows that are coming up.

Are people gonna be acting stupid, throwing elbows and crowd surfing or have people mellowed down a bit? I'm not quite as limber and spritely as I used to be but I really want to be on the floor to get as close as possible.

When's the last GA show they've played and what was the crowd like?

Thanks for any insights!

if people act like that i look forward to reading about how Ed kicked the fuck out of somebody...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,895
    please disregard......was talking about the Fonda
  • Options
    Didn't think you guys had the pit anymore in America. Thought it was just us Europeans that did that ;):D
    Really?- it usually depends on venue- but tons of GA spots here in the good ol still fuckin standin US of Assholes- Especially in NYC! cheers Matey

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    I was at Atlantic City 2...it was rough for a few songs but not that bad...i heard AC1 was rough
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    pjmc320pjmc320 Posts: 32
    pj aren't even a heavy/hard band... they barely "rock"

So...do you listen to Pearl Jam at all?
    "We're not going to white-collar resort prison, we're going to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison..." ~Michael Bolton, 'Office Space'
  • Options
    pjmc320 wrote:
    So...do you listen to Pearl Jam at all?

Uhh yes... and they would be the lightest band I listen to.
  • Options

so you listen to slipknot and linkin park, huh?

• Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    so you listen to slipknot and linkin park, huh?

wow, that was a good response.
  • Options
    Red MosquitoRed Mosquito Charlotte, NC Posts: 68
    I was at both Atlantic City shows in October. At the beginning of the first show, some guy was crowd surfing and Eddie asked between songs for us not to do that. "We don't need to recreate any videos from the early '90s," he said.

However, I was in the crowd and was jumping up and down (totally vertical, not hitting anybody) and people around me were not happy. I barely even weigh 150. I cannot help it, when the emotion and climax of certain songs hit me I have to jump up and down. It's really cool if everybody jumps together, and the whole floor becomes one organism. This is not moshing. It's unity.

Nonethless, people did not like me and I decided to go to the risers in the back.

So, no, the crowd was not even close to being rough. It was actually very calm.
  • Options
    pjmc320pjmc320 Posts: 32

Oh, alright...well obviously I was just messin' around because I can see all the shows you've been to. (lucky!) And I understand now that you were just talking in the context of what you listen to...but personally, I wouldn't say they 'barely rock' no matter what I listened to.
    "We're not going to white-collar resort prison, we're going to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison..." ~Michael Bolton, 'Office Space'
  • Options
    wow, that was a good response.

i was right...

:)

• Options
    pjmc320 wrote:
    Oh, alright...well obviously I was just messin' around because I can see all the shows you've been to. (lucky!) And I understand now that you were just talking in the context of what you listen to...but personally, I wouldn't say they 'barely rock' no matter what I listened to.

Fair enough... but my taste are mostly punk and hardcore (PJ just happen to be the first band I ever got into way back when... honestly if I first heard them now... I'd laugh... but that's just me.)

the shows will be mellow, they always are... if you get pushed around some, an elbow here or there... who cares... no one is going to start a circle pit or anything
  • Options
    huffaluffahuffaluffa Posts: 38
    Fair enough... but my taste are mostly punk and hardcore (PJ just happen to be the first band I ever got into way back when... honestly if I first heard them now... I'd laugh... but that's just me.)

the shows will be mellow, they always are... if you get pushed around some, an elbow here or there... who cares... no one is going to start a circle pit or anything

You seem to be talking them down somewhat, and that is surprising since you've been to so many of their shows.
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    if irving was any indication, watch your head and bring some bengay for afterwards. also please use deoderant.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I was at both Atlantic City shows in October. At the beginning of the first show, some guy was crowd surfing and Eddie asked between songs for us not to do that. "We don't need to recreate any videos from the early '90s," he said.

However, I was in the crowd and was jumping up and down (totally vertical, not hitting anybody) and people around me were not happy. I barely even weigh 150. I cannot help it, when the emotion and climax of certain songs hit me I have to jump up and down. It's really cool if everybody jumps together, and the whole floor becomes one organism. This is not moshing. It's unity.

Nonethless, people did not like me and I decided to go to the risers in the back.

So, no, the crowd was not even close to being rough. It was actually very calm.

Thats how I like it at shows.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Northern Ca. G.A. show with The Mighty P.J ?.....Write this down or remember it......There will be a pit and there will be idiots in it (I will be one of them). It will not be a calm crowd what so ever. Buckle up.
    I wanna tell you that I love you, but does it really matter? ...first show 12-31-91 w/RHCP and Nirvana.
  • Options
    I do think it might get a little crazy.

This may be pearl jams last tour for awhile...
    They are playing not one, not two, but three GA shows in SF!

It is three days away from the concert, and I kind of am already getting a sense that things will be a little crazy. A lot of emotion and energy is in pearl jams music, and Im sure there will be a lot of the same in the audience.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Astoria was packed and very intimate with your neighbours; a bit hard breathing, especially if you're short, but not rough.
    And it was such a small venue and had been so long..I think the GAs in Arenas will be ok.

You can always move to the back if you find it too hard going.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    GA is great. Go where you want. Shouldn't be rough - PJ isn't really a 'moshing' band. May be a bit crazy and you may get hot and squished, but that's what it's all about! Lots of dancing, jumping up and down, etc... fun....

If it gets too much, just move to the back!

Enjoy your gig!! :D:D
  • Options
    offwegooffwego Posts: 27
    When you have long time PJ fans with really high club numbers seeing the crap thats going on with some of the lucky people who are on the front row not really into the show, this is their opportunity to be up there. All I have to say is put your boots on and get ready for a war, I personally would like to see some stage and balcony diving.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Moshing is soooo last millineum. It's about as lame as doing the Wave at a ball game.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    iam gonna have jetlag...so DON'T fuck w/ me