Have you lied about how many 'partners' you've had?

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Men often lie and say more.
Women sometimes say less.

it's kinda screwed up.

I dont think i've lied. I've definitely withheld information, but that's not lying is it?

In the past, all of my girlfriends and I have talked about our pasts. Sometimes it scared me a bit.
But I've never discussed it with my wife. I dont think either of us care at this point.

Whaddya think?
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    To me, lying about that is just as bad as faking it 8-)

When we first got together, my guy and I talked about it in passing, vs. a specific subject. I never felt the need to adjust the numbers - it is what it is; no shame, no pride. Just reality.

I am what I am!

And you're right, JP...at this point, it's pointless.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    haha, I think i may have started a thread like this before, but this one was inspired by this story:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 122319.htm

People will lie about their sexual behavior to match cultural expectations about how men or women should act -- even though they wouldn't distort other gender-related behaviors, new research suggests.

The study found that men were willing to admit that they sometimes engaged in behaviors seen by college students as more appropriate for women, such as writing poetry. The same was true for women, who didn't hide the fact that they told obscene jokes, or sometimes participated in other "male-type" deeds.

But when it came to sex, men wanted to be seen as "real men:" the kind who had many partners and a lot of sexual experience. Women, on the other hand, wanted to be seen as having less sexual experience than they actually had, to match what is expected of women.

"There is something unique about sexuality that led people to care more about matching the stereotypes for their gender," said Terri Fisher, author of the study and professor of psychology at The Ohio State University's Mansfield campus.

"Sexuality seemed to be the one area where people felt some concern if they didn't meet the stereotypes of a typical man or a typical woman."

Fisher discovered how people would honestly respond to questions about sexuality and other gender-role behaviors by asking some study participants questions when they thought they were hooked up to a lie detector machine.

The study appears in a recent issue of the journal Sex Roles. Participants were 293 college students between the ages of 18 and 25. The students completed a questionnaire that asked how often they engaged in 124 different behaviors (from never to a few times a day). People in a previous study had identified all the behaviors to be typical of either males (such as wearing dirty clothes, telling obscene jokes) or females (such as writing poetry, lying about your weight). Other behaviors were identified as more negative for males (singing in the shower) or more negative for females (poking fun at others).

But some people filled out the questionnaire while they were attached to what they were told was a working polygraph machine or lie detector. (It was actually not working.)

The others were connected to the apparatus before the study began, supposedly to measure anxiety, but the machine was removed before they completed the questionnaire.

In general, the results showed that both men and women tended to act as would be expected for their gender. Men reported more typical-male behaviors and women reported more typical-female behaviors, regardless of whether they were attached to the lie detector or not.

But for non-sexual behaviors, the participants didn't seem to feel any added pressure to respond in stereotypical ways for their gender.

In other words, women who were hooked up to the lie detector and those who weren't were equally likely to admit to bench pressing weights -- a stereotypical male activity.

"Men and women didn't feel compelled to report what they did in ways that matched the stereotypes for their gender for the non-sexual behaviors," Fisher said.

The one exception was sexual behavior, where, for example, men reported more sexual partners when they weren't hooked up to the lie detector than whey they were. Women reported fewer partners when they were not hooked up to the lie detector than when they were. A similar pattern was found for reports of ever having experienced sexual intercourse.

"Men and women had different answers about their sexual behavior when they thought they had to be truthful," Fisher said.

This result confirms what Fisher found in an earlier study, back in 2003 -- with one important difference.
    Back in 2003, women went from having fewer sexual partners than men (when not hooked up to a lie detector) to being essentially even to men (when hooked up to the lie detector.)

In this new study, women actually reported more sexual partners than men when they were both hooked up to a lie detector and thought they had to be truthful.

"Society has changed, even in the past 10 years, and a variety of researchers have found that differences between men and women in some areas of sexual behavior have essentially disappeared," she said.

Fisher said the results of the study may actually be stronger than what was found here. Although half the participants were not hooked up to the lie detector while completing the questionnaire, they had been hooked up before they started.

"Some of the participants may have been made uncomfortable by being attached to the lie detector at first, and that may have led them to be more forthcoming and truthful than they otherwise would have been," she said.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you're the first
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    hedonist wrote:
    To me, lying about that is just as bad as faking it 8-)

No no, faking it is worse! :lol:
    hedonist wrote:
    When we first got together, my guy and I talked about it in passing, vs. a specific subject. I never felt the need to adjust the numbers - it is what it is; no shame, no pride. Just reality.

I am what I am!

And you're right, JP...at this point, it's pointless.

You seem very straighforward -- even in internet land, you can tell this sometimes. Good for you hedonist.
    I think maybe people lie more to their friends and early in relationships that dont work out. Thats just my guess though..
    81 wrote:
    you're the first

I feel so special and tingly all over.
    You're going to call me right? :P
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSziDkpcj4RFuSA3AfZpNIv0ZYQlSOIqII88MIPv5HcKpRDuNi
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Never lied about that. I'd guess 1,500 to 4,000. At some point you lose count and becomes a blur
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    what are "partners'?
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    edited May 2013
    Post edited by BinauralJam on
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    shortstack wrote:
    what are "partners'?

> (I)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Why??? what have you heard?!?!? :? :think: :shifty:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • shepshep Posts: 5,761
    I haven't lied about it...

but I haven't been asked either...

I'll give you a hint - the number is shockingly low. :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    shep wrote:
    Me too :mrgreen:

(and thanks, JP!)
  • shepshep Posts: 5,761
    hedonist wrote:
    shep wrote:
    Me too :mrgreen:

(and thanks, JP!)

And I'll gaurentee you that at least 1/2 of the females on that list would give me a number that would make my jaw drop and probably send me straight to the doctor for a thorough examination...

so to answer JP's question - yes, the study is probably correct. :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    My number is low too, and I never lied about it either. Why? It's the past! And I've always been much better at remembering the truth than some crooked lie...
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Posts: 3,365
    Nope, can't say that I've lied. But, I have friends (both men and women) that have lied about theirs.
    I lost a bet...
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    shortstack wrote:
    what are "partners'?

> (I)

kthx
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I've never lied. That said, I'm not really a fan when the conversation comes up with a girl.
    What does it really matter? I don't care to know her number why is she asking mine? :?

:fp:
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    depence who wants to know and why...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I honestly told the wife early on ... She never fessed up :lol:
    15 years later and all is good.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • i just always say "i don't know" which isn't really i lie - i mean i could take the time to figure it out but .....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsUnmZuOBnD1rajStfiqxbt9_ChdSN3cXV6sKhslcn0EqYSW2b
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited May 2013
    i just always say "i don't know" which isn't really i lie - i mean i could take the time to figure it out but .....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsUnmZuOBnD1rajStfiqxbt9_ChdSN3cXV6sKhslcn0EqYSW2b
    best answer yet & who wants to forget and leave a few out of the calculation hurting feelings and shit?
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    I don't think it's a good idea to get into the topic at all if you can help it - not on the sexual level. Don't ask, don't tell is generally my policy on that one. It's the safest bet, because you just never know when it might go bad somehow, depending on who you're dealing with.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't think it's a good idea to get into the topic at all, on the sexual level. Don't ask, don't tell is generally my policy on that one. It's the safest bet, because you just never know when it might go bad somehow, depending on who you're dealing with.

I don't know if you should not ask. I am thinking about this as a health issue. I once was asked how many people i have slept with without protection. that for me was a great question.

I do believe that the reason why a person ask it should not be for just keeping score.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    fife wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't think it's a good idea to get into the topic at all, on the sexual level. Don't ask, don't tell is generally my policy on that one. It's the safest bet, because you just never know when it might go bad somehow, depending on who you're dealing with.

I don't know if you should not ask. I am thinking about this as a health issue. I once was asked how many people i have slept with without protection. that for me was a great question.

I do believe that the reason why a person ask it should not be for just keeping score.
    tell 'em you live like it is 1969 & protection is for emos
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    fife wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I think asking is just opening the door for him to lie. If a guy has a sexual history that would make me worry about getting STDs, he's not going to tell me about it. All you have to do to keep safe is ask him to get tested. How many partners he's had in the past is irrelevant. That doesn't need to be a part of the conversation. No one should EVER trust someone who says they're safe, they haven't slept with anyone in a year and have been tested since, etc anyway. So why ask? The answer would be irrelevant. They should get tested either way if you're looking for peace of mind.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    fife wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Thats a good point. I recall one girlfriend who never told me a number, but through hearing her stories, I thought and pondered and lost sleep over how to ask her to get tested. She never got tested, and nothing has fallen off on me or changed colors (yet)... but it scared me for quite awhile.

So, when it comes to your partner, it should be for safety to be accurate. But people lie to their friends all the time just to look cooler (guys, ive seen it a million times)or less like a promiscuous party girl. I had one girlfriend tell me she had 8..then a few months later she admitted it was 22. She just didnt want to look slutty at age 22. That number didnt really bother me, the two abortions did though.

Ive never been good at discussing getting tested, and I assume its not easy for everyone to have that conversation.
    fife wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Thats a good point. I recall one girlfriend who never told me a number, but through hearing her stories, I thought and pondered and lost sleep over how to ask her to get tested. She never got tested, and nothing has fallen off on me or changed colors (yet)... but it scared me for quite awhile.

So, when it comes to your partner, it should be for safety to be accurate. But people lie to their friends all the time just to look cooler (guys, ive seen it a million times)or less like a promiscuous party girl. I had one girlfriend tell me she had 8..then a few months later she admitted it was 22. She just didnt want to look slutty at age 22. That number didnt really bother me, the two abortions did though.

Ive never been good at discussing getting tested, and I assume its not easy for everyone to have that conversation.
    Again, what makes you trust what they are telling you?? Never trust that number, and never base you decision to ask someone to get STD tested before you sleep with them without protection on what they are telling you. Doesn't matter how smitten you are. People lie about that shit all the time.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    fife wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I think for safety reasons you have to trust them no matter what.
    If you ask "how many w/o protection?" they could lie just as easily lie about that.

Doesn't really matter what you ask them other than "Do you have a STD that I should know about?"
    Annnnnd if they lie about that, then they could get into some serious legal trouble!
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Again, what makes you trust what they are telling you?? Never trust that number, and never base you decision to ask someone to get STD tested before you sleep with them without protection on what they are telling you. Doesn't matter how smitten you are. People lie about that shit all the time.

I agree that you should just have testing done if you're at all worried, but I wouldnt say NEVER trust that number that your partner tells you. I've had a few be completely honest - I have no doubt in my mind. It depends on the person I think. Of course, i've been lied to as well, so I can see how it could get tricky. But it depends on the situation. but agian, when I was younger, having that conversation about getting tested was tough. From a guy to a girl, you dont want to come across as saying you think she is a slut. I'm older now and know how to discuss it (I think) :lol: