Graduation season

2»

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/brawl-breaks-out-ohio-kindergarten-graduation

...and that's why you should only get to 'graduate' from HS or college... :fp:

:fp:

I hope I don't make headlines next week. My son's HS graduation is next Friday evening, on the football field outside, unless it rains, then it will be in the gym and each kid gets only 6 tickets if it's inside. We have a possible 9, at least - let the games begin.

How big is the graduating class? I remember my class was like 400+ kids, took FOREVER...started at 6pm and ended around 9:30ish.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    81 wrote:
    have you tried it? amazing stuff
    Had it Monday...

If you ever make it down here... I have a nice Bourbon tour put together... Including some terrific mixologists.

I'll drink to this. Name a date soon.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    We call our 8th grade ceremony a "Farewell" and constantly remind the kids that there is no such thing as graduation until completing all of your HS credits
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    RKCNDY wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/brawl-breaks-out-ohio-kindergarten-graduation

...and that's why you should only get to 'graduate' from HS or college... :fp:

I hope I don't make headlines next week. My son's HS graduation is next Friday evening, on the football field outside, unless it rains, then it will be in the gym and each kid gets only 6 tickets if it's inside. We have a possible 9, at least - let the games begin.

How big is the graduating class? I remember my class was like 400+ kids, took FOREVER...started at 6pm and ended around 9:30ish.

it's not big, I would guess about 150, so won't be too bad.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

easy peasy! Do they get a party or anything?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

easy peasy! Do they get a party or anything?

well, they were supposed to have pool day last Friday, but it got rained out. And there is a dinner/dance that they will be having after the ceremony but my son said no way, I am having a hard enough time just getting him to agree to go to the graduation.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Celebrated my cousin's graduation from college yesterday in Jersey and there was plenty of great food and beer. This year is going to be a calm year for grad parties compared to last year, when it seemed like there was one I went to every week.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    getting closer to my son's HS graduation on Friday, weather forecast is getting worse, calling for 70% of thunderstorms.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I am having a hard enough time just getting him to agree to go to the graduation.

looking back, it wouldn't have bothered me had i missed mine. same goes for college.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I am having a hard enough time just getting him to agree to go to the graduation.

looking back, it wouldn't have bothered me had i missed mine. same goes for college.

Believe me, it's all for the parents. after all he's put me through, I need to see him do this.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Believe me, it's all for the parents. after all he's put me through, I need to see him do this.

When the time comes, I'm telling my kids that it's totally fine with me if they choose not to walk. Total waste of time.

I just have to get my wife on board now. I've got 15 years to convince her.
    I SAW PEARL JAM

:crazy:
    dumb bad luck. the weather here has been absolutely perfect all week, clear and warm, mid 70's - perfect for an evening outdoor graduation ceremony. So now it's supposed start raining later today and through tomorrow with a TROPICAL STORM coming through! wtf?

most of the larger High Schools in the area have their graduations at the Hockey Arena downtown Reading (where PJ played in 2005) and they have no problem having as many people attend as you would like. But our school is the smallest in the area, still holds their ceremony at the football field or (as I am sure they will tomorrow) move into the gym, in which case we can have only 6 people attend.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I told my parents I didn't want to walk. I just wanted my diploma so I could move on.

My wish wasn't granted
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I had an 8th grade graduation, but wasn't sure if other schools did it. The school I went to was K-8, and we had no high school so we were split up and sent to 2 different schools in neighboring towns. So I always assumed they did it because we were leaving town (a small town where everybody knew everybody) for schooling, and because many of us had been at that school for 9 years together only to now be split up and sent to different schools. The graduation wasn't a big deal or anything, we didn't have caps/gowns, there was no walking across a stage to get any piece of paper. It was basically the principal giving us a "go out there and succeed in high school" speech while our parents watched followed by a slide show of pictures from the years. It was more of a "Thanks for being here, and good luck in the future" meeting in the school gym, with a little nostalgia thrown in, than a ceremony.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,192
    Next weds my son is graduating high school man time has flown by ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

no kidding!

also, my youngest is having a "moving up" ceremony to go from 6th up to 7th grade tomorrow morning.

and the weather keeps looking worse - the tropical storm should be starting to push through here about graduation time.

one down, one to go.....ceremony for my youngest son was fun, great to celebrate all they did in elementary school, the ceremony wasn't overboard either.

now just waiting a couple of hours for the High School graduation

and it is raining buckets, supposed to get worse too as the storm rolls in
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    one down, one to go.....ceremony for my youngest son was fun, great to celebrate all they did in elementary school, the ceremony wasn't overboard either.

hopefully, you packed a flask.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

no kidding!

also, my youngest is having a "moving up" ceremony to go from 6th up to 7th grade tomorrow morning.

and the weather keeps looking worse - the tropical storm should be starting to push through here about graduation time.

Congrats :thumbup: :clap:
    I told my parents I didn't want to walk. I just wanted my diploma so I could move on.

My wish wasn't granted

Sucks! Seriously, who the fuck wants to sit in a folding chair for hours listening to a bunch of fucking names being read and some bullshit speeches?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

hopefully, you packed a flask.

this.
    I SAW PEARL JAM

My wish wasn't granted

But as a parent this is one of the things i'm looking forward to it , i feel bad for my parents they never got to see me get my diploma i was to much of an asshole to participate it was mailed to me and i'm not saying your an ass for not wanting to walk :)