Your tips for avoiding negative people and conversations

justamjustam Posts: 21,408
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Please share them.

Occasionally I have interactions with people I (essentially) like and at some point they turn our conversations into complaining circles. I don't like it! I leave the interaction wondering "Why didn't I just walk away?!" :shock: "Did I accidentally say something bad about one of my friends that this gossip will spread out of context?!" :?

It's horrible!!

Give me some tips and advice about how to avoid this kind of situation. I can't always totally avoid the people themselves because I have to work with them sometimes!

:geek:
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    justam wrote:
    Please share them.

Occasionally I have interactions with people I (essentially) like and at some point they turn our conversations into complaining circles. I don't like it! I leave the interaction wondering "Why didn't I just walk away?!" :shock: "Did I accidentally say something bad about one of my friends that this gossip will spread out of context?!" :?

It's horrible!!

Give me some tips and advice about how to avoid this kind of situation. I can't always totally avoid the people themselves because I have to work with them sometimes!

If it's negative stuff about their own life, they may just need to vent on confidentiality.
    But if it's negative about co-workers, or mutual friends.. Then I always offer to go 'get' or call said person
    For the person doing the shit talking.. When they ask why. I tell them so that so and so can defend themselves.
    They're not here, so I figured they shod at least have the chance to hear what you're saying about them, and offer their own defense. This usually works to stop the negative talk. Although one time it caused a HUGE major fight between me and the original person in the conversation. Years later she thanked me for standing up to her in defense of our mutual friend. I told her I do that for everyone! Good luck!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    you have work to do & walk away or excuse them from your work area or your peaceful spot under the willow tree. i avoid bullshit and assholes every single chance i can. this is why i am almost a hermit & very nearly a psychopath

i suggest meditation, music listening and playing, painting/drawing, poetry writing & possibly marijuana if that is what you may enjoy. i would never suggest drinking but some would suggest it helps their last frayed nerve
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    If it's negative stuff about their own life, they may just need to vent on confidentiality.
    But if it's negative about co-workers, or mutual friends.. Then I always offer to go 'get' or call said person
    For the person doing the shit talking.. When they ask why. I tell them so that so and so can defend themselves.
    They're not here, so I figured they shod at least have the chance to hear what you're saying about them, and offer their own defense. This usually works to stop the negative talk. Although one time it caused a HUGE major fight between me and the original person in the conversation. Years later she thanked me for standing up to her in defense of our mutual friend. I told her I do that for everyone! Good luck!

This is an interesting way of handling it. Thanks!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    chadwick wrote:
    you have work to do & walk away or excuse them from your work area or your peaceful spot under the willow tree. i avoid bullshit and assholes every single chance i can. this is why i am almost a hermit & very nearly a psychopath

i suggest meditation, music listening and playing, painting/drawing, poetry writing & possibly marijuana if that is what you may enjoy. i would never suggest drinking but some would suggest it helps their last frayed nerve

I think your idea of saying "I have work to do" is good. So, cut the conversation short (in other words). That's probably a habit I need to get into if I hear the signs that the conversation is turning into a negative experience.

I think the thing that really gets to me is when people have some negative view of the "world" that they are trying to get me to join in on. I don't want that!! I want to be around people who have a swirl of good energy instead.

I picture a swirling drain down for one type of person, but I want to be on a swirling air lift instead! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    My tip? Don't talk to conservatives. HA! j/k :lol:
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

:lol:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Excusing yourself and walking away or standing up for the other person are excellent things to do but not everyone has experience in being assertive. It also depends on who is the person doing the trash talking.

I understand that everyone needs to vent sometimes and I'm fine with listening. It's people who make a career out of being negative that drive me nuts. I have no use for them. I concentrate on avoiding them whenever I can.

For the people that are difficult to avoid, like family members or someone at work that you may share a space with or have to work closely with, I focus on turning their negative statements into positive ones. I started doing this with myself when I was much younger. If I found myself thinking negative things, I'd look for something positive in the situation and focus on that. I did that mentally but I'll do verbally if other people are being negative.

Debbie Downer: Barbara wears the weirdest clothes.
    Me: She's a very creative person.

DD: Darlene has gotten really overweight.
    Me: So have I. I think I'll ask her if she'd like to walk with me at lunchtime.

DD: I can't believe I missed the exit! Now we're going to have to go way out of our way.
    Me: I'll call ahead and tell them what happened. It's not a big deal if we're a few minutes late.

You may not get other people to stop being negative but this approach usually shuts them up!

OTOH when people start criticizing someone I care about, I let them know loud and clear that I'm not interested in hearing about it. I will tell them not to criticize that person to me again.

In a work situation, people usually start to figure out if you're not interested in gossip and they won't come to you with it. Gossip only thrives if people are willing to share it and I'm not. I tend to be the last person to know anything about anybody.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868

Or is it liberals?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opini ... .html?_r=0
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • In a work situation, people usually start to figure out if you're not interested in gossip and they won't come to you with it. Gossip only thrives if people are willing to share it and I'm not. I tend to be the last person to know anything about anybody.

This ^^^
    This is such good advice! Thank you. I really like your DebbieDowner examples! :)
    Excusing yourself and walking away or standing up for the other person are excellent things to do but not everyone has experience in being assertive. It also depends on who is the person doing the trash talking.

I understand that everyone needs to vent sometimes and I'm fine with listening. It's people who make a career out of being negative that drive me nuts. I have no use for them. I concentrate on avoiding them whenever I can.

For the people that are difficult to avoid, like family members or someone at work that you may share a space with or have to work closely with, I focus on turning their negative statements into positive ones. I started doing this with myself when I was much younger. If I found myself thinking negative things, I'd look for something positive in the situation and focus on that. I did that mentally but I'll do verbally if other people are being negative.

Debbie Downer: Barbara wears the weirdest clothes.
    Me: She's a very creative person.

DD: Darlene has gotten really overweight.
    Me: So have I. I think I'll ask her if she'd like to walk with me at lunchtime.

DD: I can't believe I missed the exit! Now we're going to have to go way out of our way.
    Me: I'll call ahead and tell them what happened. It's not a big deal if we're a few minutes late.

You may not get other people to stop being negative but this approach usually shuts them up!

OTOH when people start criticizing someone I care about, I let them know loud and clear that I'm not interested in hearing about it. I will tell them not to criticize that person to me again.

In a work situation, people usually start to figure out if you're not interested in gossip and they won't come to you with it. Gossip only thrives if people are willing to share it and I'm not. I tend to be the last person to know anything about anybody.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,513
    stay away from certain sports threads around here...
    www.myspace.com
    justam wrote:
    This is such good advice! Thank you. I really like your DebbieDowner examples! :)
    You're welcome. The examples came from real life! Like I said, it usually shuts people up! :lol:
    stay away from certain sports threads around here...

8-) Okay.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    You're welcome. The examples came from real life! Like I said, it usually shuts people up! :lol:

:D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619

Or is it liberals?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opini ... .html?_r=0
    :fp: That was interesting.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
    Lmao!!
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I make this face and hold it. It usually works to halt most conversations.

this face

~
    rollings wrote:

this face

~
    Hahahahahaha!!! Love it!!
    rollings wrote:

this face

~

:sick:
    It doesn't seem like it'd be good for a career or general acquaintance management though. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    rollings wrote:

this face

~
    That's brilliant! Probably wouldn't work with the boss though. :think:
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    justam wrote:
    Please share them.

It's horrible!!

I only say "apparently we are having a communication error". At work, after negativity I take it out on the boxes. :lol: My manager watched me stab and rip open a box of cookies with a pencil.

He asked me if I was okay, I said "oh, I'm fine, this box is hard to open".

Then he asked me how I felt that day, and I said I felt there were many communication errors through out the day with other team members. :lol:

Another piece of advice is to make a pro/ con list. If the problem isn't negative enough for you to make a list, then it's not so bad. If it is that negative, at least you can see reasons on your list as to why it's dragging you down and you can make an effort to address it with valid reasons or move on.

good luck
    STAYSEA wrote:

I only say "apparently we are having a communication error". At work, after negativity I take it out on the boxes. :lol: My manager watched me stab and rip open a box of cookies with a pencil.

He asked me if I was okay, I said "oh, I'm fine, this box is hard to open".

Then he asked me how I felt that day, and I said I felt there were many communication errors through out the day with other team members. :lol:

Another piece of advice is to make a pro/ con list. If the problem isn't negative enough for you to make a list, then it's not so bad. If it is that negative, at least you can see reasons on your list as to why it's dragging you down and you can make an effort to address it with valid reasons or move on.

good luck

I like that you used actions to express how you felt too. :D

You just gave me the idea that I could also quickly slip out of the room by saying "I need to go wash my hands, they feel sticky and I don't like that."
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    become an intorvert and avoid everyone
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    become an intorvert and avoid everyone

As I said, sometimes I have to work with other people!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    Hang up the Phone! :lol:
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    justam wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    become an introvert and avoid everyone

As I said, sometimes I have to work with other people!

Justam... You must communicate. Is your manager a decent human?

Every one has a breaking point. We all have weaknesses. Learn what yours are, and learn what your co worker's have.

Some people at my job cry when things get tense.

Today, a dude snapped at me.

"I don't care who this order is for!, just tell me where."

I said wow ... some one is a bit snappy. OUCH. :roll:

Then I listened to the Manager make a prank call to another store. Hysterical!!!!!!

A few hrs later, Cam apologized. He asked me not to cry. :lol:

A few weeks ago, I covered his shift so he could leave early so he could get his car safe. (it was flooding very bad)

We respect each other. The haters can't blend in.

I said, If I was going to cry it wouldn't be about a retail order or on the job, and we should probably find herbal refreshments later.

Justam, If it's one person... wait a week. Communicate with that person, and tell them your issues.
    Humans can be so human.

IF they disrespect.. Move on. To the Store manager, then the HR manager. OR quit.
    You are probably too good for that stupidity. I laugh at my job, and it's worth the bad moments, because it balances.

Rob just cussed on the ten club radio... awesome ! :lol:
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    justam wrote:
    rollings wrote:

this face

~

:sick:
    It doesn't seem like it'd be good for a career or general acquaintance management though. :geek:

meganamram.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Rollings,

That's a really ugly picture of that woman's face. I wish it was not in this thread. :|

It seems to me that putting it in here once was enough. It's pranks like this that make me wonder what you consider friendship to be.
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

When people would come to me to bitch about someone, I would ask them, "Have you tried talking to that person? Maybe they don't know they are affecting you like that" So they turned on me, and started making up shit and gossiping about me.

Nice people finish last. :|
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    What you do is take their natural negativity and respond in a way that is ten times more negative and see if they really want to play. So, when a co-worker is complaining about someone just respond with, “Fuck, I know. Last week I was gonna curb stomp that motherfucker’s skull into the sidewalk until I was splashing around in his brains and then I was gonna set the douchebag’s house on fire while his wife and kid were still sleeping. Motherfucker anyway…”