Vacation next week. My attempt at landscaping.

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Landscaping-Retaining-Wall.jpg

Hopefully by the end of next week, the back of my yard will resemble this.

I will be renting a tiller.
Buying brick boarder.
Buying lots and lots of pretty dirt.

Should be interesting.
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    K
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    #savethegazebo
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I hope your project is successful SPEEDY. Post pictures when you are done! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Burn it
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    justam wrote:
    Yeah I am going to take before and after.
    Who am I kidding?
    This will take me a month! :lol::lol:

Right now the back of the yard is a mess. It looks like a garbage dump. Stone, weeds, more stone, more weeds. :lol::lol::lol:
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    Hard work yet such a truly satisfying endeavor to be enjoyed for years to come!

The transformation will be amazing.
    Happy tilling!

:P
    Nice shirt.
    81 wrote:
    #savethegazebo
    The gazebo is going down!!!

Im also thinking of doing the Cubs game Tuesday night.

Temps supposed to be in the mid 80's.
    Havent hit a night game at Wrigley in YEARS.
    Speedy, I think before and after photos will be fun to see. :)

I have a summer project in mind for our back and side yards. My work-crew will be me and my teen age sons. :? :P
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    Yeah I am going to take before and after.
    Who am I kidding?
    This will take me a month! :lol::lol:

Right now the back of the yard is a mess. It looks like a garbage dump. Stone, weeds, more stone, more weeds. :lol::lol::lol:

:D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    And now a question about removing a tree stump.

So the tree? weed? whatever the fuck it is, is right next to the fence. Last year I cut most of the fucking thing down(Chainsaws rock!), but I still need to attack the last 3-5 feet of this thing. I cant see myself removing the stump without completely fucking up the neighbors fence. So what am I to do? I can dig around the stump and chop off as much as possible, but then what? I have read, that if I drill some holes in the stump, and pack it with rock salt, it will sooner or later die. If I do this, can I just pack it with salt, cover the fucker up with fresh dirt, and never worry about it again?

Any other ideas? Like I said its right up against the fence, and digging it out of the ground would almost be impossible.

So the tree? weed? whatever the fuck it is, is right next to the fence. Last year I cut most of the fucking thing down(Chainsaws rock!), but I still need to attack the last 3-5 feet of this thing. I cant see myself removing the stump without completely fucking up the neighbors fence. So what am I to do? I can dig around the stump and chop off as much as possible, but then what? I have read, that if I drill some holes in the stump, and pack it with rock salt, it will sooner or later die. If I do this, can I just pack it with salt, cover the fucker up with fresh dirt, and never worry about it again?

Any other ideas? Like I said its right up against the fence, and digging it out of the ground would almost be impossible.

What is the circumference of the stump? After you chopped it down last year did it continue to grow?

Using rock salt can contaminate the surrounding dirt rendering it virtually useless for growing anything else, unfortunately.

Splitting it with an axe and pouring gasoline or anti-freeze, just a little, directly in the base will definitely kill it.
    Nice shirt.

What is the circumference of the stump? After you chopped it down last year did it continue to grow?

Using rock salt can contaminate the surrounding dirt rendering it virtually useless for growing anything else, unfortunately.

Splitting it with an axe and pouring gasoline or anti-freeze, just a little, directly in the base will definitely kill it.
    Ok.
    So I dig around the stump, say a foot under ground level, split the fucker with a chainsaw, pour anti-freeze on it, and then I can cover it up with dirt and never think about it again?
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539

How far from the fence. My old man and I removed a bunch of tree stumps the last couple of years. We cut it down as far as we could and dug around the stump. Cut the roots with cutters/saw and then tied a rope around what we could and pulled it out with my truck. Again. If its too close to your neighbors fence, you might ruin it. Maybe you can remove that panel of fence before you start digging.

Ok.
    So I dig around the stump, say a foot under ground level, split the fucker with a chainsaw, pour anti-freeze on it, and then I can cover it up with dirt and never think about it again?

Exactly.

No need to even go that deep, just split it at ground level, enough to get the anti-freeze down into it's growing base.

I love yard destruction and the subsequent rejuvenation.

:P
    Nice shirt.
    LloydXmas wrote:

How far from the fence. My old man and I removed a bunch of tree stumps the last couple of years. We cut it down as far as we could and dug around the stump. Cut the roots with cutters/saw and then tied a rope around what we could and pulled it out with my truck. Again. If its too close to your neighbors fence, you might ruin it. Maybe you can remove that panel of fence before you start digging.
    Its right on the fence. Im gonna go with dousing it with chemicals, covering it up, and see what happens.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    dynamite
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I had some trees that we cut down a year ago. This year, I drilled a bunch of holes in the stumps, and they pretty much broke up into nothing. Okay, so maybe they were rotting because it rains so much here.

Anywho, I have a planter like the one you posted. All I have to say is, I hope you don't have a lot of cats in the neighborhood...to them, that thing looks like a luxury litter box. I ripped up the entire planter earlier this year, cleaned out probably 25lbs of cat poop :x . Then I put down the weed stop fabric, and hardware cloth on top of that to prevent them from digging around. Before we get rid of the truck, I'm going to the rock yard and filling the planter with river rock.

F'in neighborhood cats... :evil:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    f86b8dde6ae1ff88fb09c5c473bb8b3e-the-most-nerve-racking-gif-youll-see-today-or-ever.gif
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    There's a product called stump killer that you can buy at the garden center. Cut the stump down as far as you can, then pour stump killer across the cut surface. You'll kill the stump and won't get chemicals in the ground around it. Gasoline or antifreeze may sound tempting but they'll probably stay in the dirt forever.

This technique has worked for me many times. I got rid of lots of weed trees when we first moved into our house and I still have to do it occasionally when something manages to grow where I don't want it to. Like along a fence.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316

Drill a bunch of holes in the stump (the bigger the better) and pour some Stump Out (local hardware store should have it) into the holes. Wait a couple months and you will be able to pull it out of the ground with your hands.
    So after busting our asses for 4 hours, I told Kathy I was going to take a break. Kathy decided she was going to the store and pick up some steaks.

In the 20 minutes that she was gone.

I knocked that FUCKING GAZEBO down to the ground!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    #rebuildthegazebo
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    So after busting our asses for 4 hours, I told Kathy I was going to take a break. Kathy decided she was going to the store and pick up some steaks.

:lol:
    Fucking neighbor yesterday. We work in the yard for 4 hours, everything is going fine, and then he has to come over and throw his 2 cents in. My chainsaw needed a new blade, so I went and bought one. Then I went and attacked the last root, stump, whatever. He tells me the chain isn't set right.

I don't give a fuck! Its the last root. So then he goes to adjust the damn thing, and of course he couldn't. Then he couldn't get the fucking thing put together. Then he tells me I bought a cheap chainsaw.

With that, I said thanks for trying, then walked away.
    5 minutes later he watched me destroy that gazebo with my bare hands. No tools involved. I tore that fucker to the ground, and destroyed it with my bare hands. I think the neighbor knew that I might be a little pissed.

I have plenty to keep me busy for a few hours today, then we go see the Mommies. Then tomorrow I will go see John the mechanic and have him put the chainsaw together. I figure it will take him 30 seconds. :lol::lol::lol:
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:
    #rebuildthegazebo
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    norm wrote:
    f86b8dde6ae1ff88fb09c5c473bb8b3e-the-most-nerve-racking-gif-youll-see-today-or-ever.gif
    someone do that to the nasty shithead in ohio & we have ourselves a game show
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    norm wrote:
    someone do that to the nasty shithead in ohio & we have ourselves a game show

actually looks like it could be an ohio neighborhood :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996

Pictures, video. Please.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280

Must have been a quality built gazebo if you could take it down with your bare hands! :lol:
    Moving right along.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I said FUCK renting that tiller, and decided to turn that shit over by hand.
    Put down 20 bags of top soil to make it all pretty.
    Going to put down the edge tomorrow(going to wait a while before I put down brick). But at some point this year there will be a brick edge. So for now its just a $20 roll of cheap rubber edge. Then I will go buy some weed fabric, and throw that shit down. Then top it off with mulch. Ill be done with this shit at some point tomorrow.

And I thought this would take all week?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Next week I will go drop $300-$400 on shrubs, perennials, and some pretty flowers.