Options

Face value question

Comments

• Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Hmmm, ok, coz the other way of thinking about it is.... If you buy a poster at a concert, you pay no shipping sooooo if you, on the other hand chose not to buy the poster at the concert but to buy it later & get it shipped to you, well that's your choice & so that shipping cost is not the concern of the person you then sell the poster too later. They pay for shipping the poster to THEM of course but maybe they aren't liable for the cost of YOU buying the poster.

Example:
    poster at concert if $35
    you chose not to buy poster at concert but to buy poster later & have it shipped to you $35 + $15
    you then decide to sell the poster
    face value = $35 shipping from you to the new buyer = $15 total cost to be paid to you is $50

I have wondered this before. It's not the person who buys it off you's problem/fault that you decided to have it shipped to you.

Ok, another example, I buy a rare poster & have it shipped from the US to NZ. Poster = $100 + shipping = $50. Poster continues to escalate in price & rarity & a while later I hit tough times & look at selling my poster. Poster is now valued at $200 & shit, I lost myself. :lol::lol::lol: Hmmm, not sure what I'm getting at there but maybe what if someone back i the US wanted to buy it off me & so do they have to cough up for the extra I paid for it to ship all the way here or?????.....

Sorry, I may be losing the plot here!! 8-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    morello wrote:
    Hmmm, ok, coz the other way of thinking about it is.... If you buy a poster at a concert, you pay no shipping sooooo if you, on the other hand chose not to buy the poster at the concert but to buy it later & get it shipped to you, well that's your choice & so that shipping cost is not the concern of the person you then sell the poster too later. They pay for shipping the poster to THEM of course but maybe they aren't liable for the cost of YOU buying the poster.

Example:
    poster at concert if $35
    you chose not to buy poster at concert but to buy poster later & have it shipped to you $35 + $15
    face value = $35 shipping from you to the new buyer = $15 total cost to be paid to you is $50

I have wondered this before. It's not the person who buys it off you's problem/fault that you decided to have it shipped to you.

Ok, another example, I buy a rare poster & have it shipped from the US to NZ. Poster = $100 + shipping = $50. Poster continues to escalate in price & rarity & a while later I hit tough times & look at selling my poster. Poster is now valued at $200 & shit, I lost myself. :lol::lol::lol: Hmmm, not sure what I'm getting at there but maybe what if someone back i the US wanted to buy it off me & so do they have to cough up for the extra I paid for it to ship all the way here or?????.....

lol..i hear ya..i understand..
    but if i wasnt at the show??
    and just want to buy the poster when 10c sell it?
    if i was at the show,but was sold out before i get to the merch table?lol
    whats the face value for me?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    morello wrote:

Example:
    poster at concert if $35

lol..i hear ya..i understand..
    but if i wasnt at the show??
    and just want to buy the poster when 10c sell it?
    if i was at the show,but was sold out before i get to the merch table?lol
    whats the face value for me?
    Hmmm, face value for you then is whatever it cost, total, for you to get the poster - poster & shipping included.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Maybe start another thread asking why do people interfere in selling threads just because they aren't happy with the price quoted.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    Maybe start another thread asking why do people interfere in selling threads just because they aren't happy with the price quoted.
    i want to understand what people means by saying face value and if the term means the same with what originaly paid..
    at tickets its clear,cos there are no shipping costs..

and if its still face value - originaly paid,when you buy an item already more that the 1st sale..(exable,i just want my money back,i paid 100 for that poster,even the face value was 30)
    or face value,consider ONLY the 1st oiriginal price of the item and if shipping must included at the price..

seems almost all agree you must put the shipping cost in as well you paid
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    i want to understand what people means by saying face value and if the term means the same with what originaly paid..

and if its still face value - originaly paid,when you buy an item already more that the 1st sale..(exable,i just want my money back,i paid 100 for that poster,even the face value was 30)
    or face value,consider ONLY the 1st oiriginal price of the item and if shipping must included at the price..

I think that's called the secondary market dimi & yeah, once things get to that, still people can ask the price THEY paid so 100 even though originally the item was 30. It has to be that was otherwise, if I was now selling a poster from a 1992 concert, I can't be expected to just take whatever it cost me back then. Face value = what was originally paid, except once something has become a collectors item perhaps.
    <hr>
  • Options
    morello wrote:

I think that's called the secondary market dimi & yeah, once things get to that, still people can ask the price THEY paid so 100 even though originally the item was 30. It has to be that was otherwise, if I was now selling a poster from a 1992 concert, I can't be expected to just take whatever it cost me back then. Face value = what was originally paid, except once something has become a collectors item perhaps.
    seems that way..after years its in collectors item categofy..
  • Options
    morello wrote:

seems that way..after years its in collectors item categofy..
    :)
    <hr>
  • Options
    HEXHEX Posts: 221
    Face value for posters is the original price IMO.
    The original price + costs for shipping + customs duty + taxes is the total 'price you paid' and not 'face value'.
    I think it's fair to sell a poster for the 'price you paid' though the price will increase ......

Buying a S/N artist print for $50 will cost me $123 :shock:
    $50 poster
    $38 shipping
    $35 customs

Selling that poster for 'face value': $50
    Selling that poster for the 'price I paid': $123
  • Options
    another exable i remember now..a little different,but still..
    at euro 2012 i sell my spare 10c tickets for both berlin show to a Greek girl..
    when i paid them with my cc card,was 5-6 months before the day of the show and in american dollars..the conversion to euros was 77 euros per ticket
    but when i pick up the tickets at the 10c box offce on the paper of the tix the price was 62.5 euros..
    so i said to the girl.,it says 62.5...you gonna pay 62.5...
    so actually i sold them less of what i paid..i didnt want to think i was fool her or something
  • Options
    HEX wrote:
    Face value for posters is the original price IMO.
    The original price + costs for shipping + customs duty + taxes is the total 'price you paid' and not 'face value'.
    I think it's fair to sell a poster for the 'price you paid' though the price will increase ......

Buying a S/N artist print for $50 will cost me $123 :shock:
    $50 poster
    $38 shipping
    $35 customs

Selling that poster for 'face value': $50
    Selling that poster for the 'price I paid': $123
    well.that another exable of why im asking about the whole....
    so face value means only one thing:..original price of the item..
    seems,we all agree its ok to ask what you originaly paid,but the term face value means what Jojo said..
    original price of the item..not shipping included
  • Options
    when i paid them with my cc card,was 5-6 months before the day of the show and in american dollars..the conversion to euros was 77 euros per ticket
    but when i pick up the tickets at the 10c box offce on the paper of the tix the price was 62.5 euros..
    so actually i sold them less of what i paid..i didnt want to think i was fool her or something
    That's where good will comes into it. It's not her fault your currency has gone up or down or whatever but she 'should' trust your honesty & pay what you said it actually cost you. That's kinda where you get to be good friends with the people you get tix off sometimes & other times you don't just from how the good will & trust works out or if there's any bad taste left in the mouth. :?
    <hr>
  • Options
    HEXHEX Posts: 221
    And yes Dimi, we also have to deal with the exchange rates ..........
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    That's where good will comes into it. It's not her fault your currency has gone up or down or whatever but she 'should' trust your honesty & pay what you said it actually cost you. That's kinda where you get to be good friends with the people you get tix off sometimes & other times you don't just from how the good will & trust works out or if there's any bad taste left in the mouth. :?
    well,actually,i told her the price i paid at dollars and must be around 75 euros per tix,we will see at the day of the show..
    so when i saw 62.5..i said fuck it i dont wanna she to think i lie or something,she wasnt a 10c member to know how the whole works..,was her 1st show..all good!! :)
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    well,actually,i told her the price i paid at dollars and must be around 75 euros per tix,we will see at the day of the show..
    so when i saw 62.5..i said fuck it i dont wanna she to think i lie or something,she wasnt a 10c member to know how the whole works..,was her 1st show..all good!! :)
    Fair enough. :)
    <hr>
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,536
    After purchasing the $90 10C Poster Convention Maxx242/Soto/Munk One poster recently and paying $28.95 for postage along with Canada Customs and taxes, my "face value" jumped to $145. I'll gladly sell it for my actual cost of $145 plus actual postage...any takers?

:lol:
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    I would say what it cost the person, and that would include customs.

does a person have to prove this? IMO no, but people should feel free to ask if it really matters to them.

personally, the face value thing doesnt weigh too heavily on my mind. If an item cost $35 and i really want it and have to pay $100, then so be it.

sure its nice for people to look out for each other, but rarely is life that simple.

I dont think i ever made on anything, Im the kind of idiot who bought all his posters at the height of the market and made a loss on thinning out the collection to buy some records. Such is life, but i have nothing against those who make a few $ to help them along their way.

the forum is a great place, but just because we all love the same band doesnt make me so naive as to think im going to pick up a Maui 98 for $10.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

does a person have to prove this? IMO no, but people should feel free to ask if it really matters to them.

personally, the face value thing doesnt weigh too heavily on my mind. If an item cost $35 and i really want it and have to pay $100, then so be it.

sure its nice for people to look out for each other, but rarely is life that simple.

I dont think i ever made on anything, Im the kind of idiot who bought all his posters at the height of the market and made a loss on thinning out the collection to buy some records. Such is life, but i have nothing against those who make a few $ to help them along their way.

the forum is a great place, but just because we all love the same band doesnt make me so naive as to think im going to pick up a Maui 98 for $10.
    thats why i ask Paul,to see what people think here..
    how they use the term...and if the extra cost after the original price should be consider "face value"
    extra by mean shipping,or custom etc..
    i said my opinion about the sales here in general 2 years now,,is well know my opinion for flipping,ill not ,i cant and i dont care to see what or how much people selling here anymore..
    i never trade anything here,never sell anything,i never bought anything,except when someone need help,so i bought 2-3 items cos a friend was shy,or want me to help them buy something cos i knew the seller,or didnt want to people know what they are buying...thats all..
    this could be awesome forum,but its fucked up alot after the pj20 backpacks and white backspacer..
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

thats why i ask Paul,to see what people think here..
    how they use the term...and if the extra cost after the original price should be consider "face value"
    extra by mean shipping,or custom etc..
    i said my opinion about the sales here in general 2 years now,,is well know my opinion for flipping,ill not ,i cant and i dont care to see what or how much people selling here anymore..
    i never trade anything here,never sell anything,i never bought anything,except when someone need help,so i bought 2-3 items cos a friend was shy,or want me to help them buy something cos i knew the seller,or didnt want to people know what they are buying...thats all..
    this could be awesome forum,but its fucked up alot after the pj20 backpacks and white backspacer..

Hey Dimi, its a good question to raise, and will always be an interesting debate

its good that you madea thread too as perhaps those with thoughts on this can make them here rather than in ever thread someone makes selling something, at least the argument will play out coherently here and people can get things off their chest

if everyone sold at face it would be very interesting, problem is people love the $ and that aint gonna change too soon. also there are people who really need the $........to some this thing is a labour of love and they would break their back to help a fellow fan, to others its business, and inbetween there is a very murky middle ground.

But there are several good deeds done here every day which make it a brighter place and that is something we can all be grateful for.

But this is a good thread to have....
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    if everyone sold at face it would be very interesting, problem is people love the $ and that aint gonna change too soon. also there are people who really need the $........to some this thing is a labour of love and they would break their back to help a fellow fan, to others its business, and inbetween there is a very murky middle ground.

Right on!!!!!! I believe face value is the price of the item plus whatever means of shipping/ custome to get this piece to your door......for example....i bought a poster awile back, the cost of the poster was $750, well it was framed so it cost another $250 for shipping......i wouldnt let it go for any cheaper than $1000.....its not for sale and never will be but i paid $1000 and i wouldnt let it go for any less!

But great thread.....mabye this will get everyone on the same page as what face value means!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    any time i sell something, i'm sell it for as much as i can get.

long live capitalism and free markets
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    juddboz80 wrote:

Right on!!!!!! I believe face value is the price of the item plus whatever means of shipping/ custome to get this piece to your door......for example....i bought a poster awile back, the cost of the poster was $750, well it was framed so it cost another $250 for shipping......i wouldnt let it go for any cheaper than $1000.....its not for sale and never will be but i paid $1000 and i wouldnt let it go for any less!

But great thread.....mabye this will get everyone on the same page as what face value means!
    yet,thats the idea,to all understand and me as well,the term face value..
    and alot of money for a poster my friend!!!hello to good people there at Central Illinois!! ;)
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I wouldn't refer to it as "face value" but I would do $41 + cost to ship to buyer. You shouldn't have to take a loss on it.
  • Options
    "Face value" to me, means the total cost you incurred in purchasing the poster. So that would be the price plus the shipping charge you paid to receive the poster.

I disagree. Because that means after shipping it to someone else I end up losing money. For example, I buy a poster for $35. The cost to ship it to me is $15. Total $50.

If I turn around and sell that item for $50 shipping included, I'm PAYING the $15 shipping, only netting back $35, losing $15 on the transaction.

But wouldn't the buyer pay the shipping? So if you sold it for $50 and the buyer pays the shipping you wouldn't lose or gain anything, and that is what I understand is "face value".

they do pay the shipping, but I'm paying the shipping up front for it, so I'm not pocketing that $15, it's a net $0, which still means I'm selling the poster at $35 when I originally paid $50.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Joey EakinsJoey Eakins Posts: 663
    pdalowsky wrote:

This is exactly how I feel.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    why are tickets exempt from the market value equation
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

are they?
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    I wouldn't refer to it as "face value" but I would do $41 + cost to ship to buyer. You shouldn't have to take a loss on it.
    yep..seems exactly this.."face value" isnt the right way to say it,but we all agree that the original buyer when sell the item should not loose money
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    Heres where it gets interesting.......when i first got into posters i bought the cloak and veil off ebay.....ebeans average was $60.....so i put in $60 as my max bid......well i ended up getting the poster for $59....shipping was $12....for a total cost of $71 to get the print to my front door, welll basically its worth $60 (at that time) so if i wanted to sell it for "face value" of what i have into it then it would be $71 plus shipping......who would pay $75 gor a poster worth $60??????? Sometimes to sell something shipping costs might have to be eaten by the original buyer......
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    81 wrote:

are they?

that's what the admins tell me....

you can ask any price you want for merchandise, but if you ask a penny more than face on a ticket, you are the devil.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg