Options

Face value question

dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
edited May 2013 in Lost Dogs
hey guys,reading the forum here and just wondering and need to ask whats the forum opinion about

if someone want to sell a poster bought from 10c ,and he want to sell it face value...

lets say an exable,i want to sell my berlin 10 poster..

i paid 30$ + 11 $ shipping..(was more expensive back then the shipping ,now must be 5-6$)

so,if i want to sell it face value..what suppose is the right price to ask??

30$ + Shipping whatever this cost will be,depence where the buyer is from
or
41$(30$+11$ shipping i paid total to get it), + the shipping to the buyer??

if i get it from the venue,i know its 30$ + shipping..,cos i didnt pay shipping..

and i ask,cos if i ask 41$ is this face value,or consider im selling it for what i paid for it??

im intrested to read your opinion..

hope u understand what im saying.. :lol:
thanks
"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    For me it would be the $41 plus shipping because that is what you originally paid
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    "Face value" to me, means the total cost you incurred in purchasing the poster. So that would be the price plus the shipping charge you paid to receive the poster.
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    seems fair to sell a poster for what exactly you have in to it.. poster+shipping is the face value if you had to have it shipped..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:
    seems fair to sell a poster for what exactly you have in to it.. poster+shipping is the face value if you had to have it shipped..

But, wasn't I with you in Berlin? why the shipping? :D
    i never buy posters at the shows,,are u crazy??how the hell i would jump with the tube in hand at GA??
    and i use berlin 10 exable,cos its the last thing i would ever think to sell..to important night to be pj fan :)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    For me it would be the $41 plus shipping because that is what you originally paid
    thanks for the answer,i believe the same..

but now you put the frase "what you originally paid"

what face value exactly mneans..??the original 1st sale price??

cos lets say you bought a poster 30$
    you sell it to me at ebay 70$

i resell it 70,what i paid for it..

is this still consider face value??or i cant use that term but ill say what i originally paid for it??
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited May 2013
    To me, the face value would be what I paid for the actual thing. The shipping is something I don't calculate into the price of the item. So I would ask for the price that I paid for the item, and then add the shipping for the buyer. Hm. Reading the previous posts I might be wrong. But that's how I always interpreted it. So, who is going to sell me a Benny Hall for face value :P

I think my point is if somebody paid a fortune on shipping by some exotic service, I don't think it is fair to ask forthat price too, because it was the buyer who choose to have it delivered like that. I hope I could make myself clear.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:

i never buy posters at the shows,,are u crazy??how the hell i would jump with the tube in hand at GA??
    and i use berlin 10 exable,cos its the last thing i would ever think to sell..to important night to be pj fan :)
    You got me before i changed it! :lol:

We bought posters in Berlin..

My answer to your problem... COAT CHECK!! and tip them well!! :D:D
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

You got me before i changed it! :lol:

We bought posters in Berlin..

My answer to your problem... COAT CHECK!! and tip them well!! :D:D
    you was at Berlin 2010??

Lisa?? :corn:
  • Options
    To me, the face value would be what I paid for the actual thing. The shipping is something I don't calculate into the price of the item. So I would ask for the price that I paid for the item, and then add the shipping for the buyer. Hm. Reading the previous posts I might be wrong. But that's how I always interpreted it. So, who is going to sell me a Benny Hall for face value :P

I think my point is if somebody paid a fortune on shipping by some exotic service, I don't think it is fair to ask forthat price too, because it was the buyer who choose to have it delivered like that. I hope I could make myself clear.
    thats exactly im asking..what is face value exactly means..

cos if i asked the seller to sent it express,with insurance,registered and i pay 30$ the poster and 70$ for shipping..
    its ok to ask 100$ for total??..cos 30$+11$ is different than 30$+70$ and say face value..
  • Options

what's the difference? :lol::lol:

I wish I would have met her sooner... :D
  • Options
    To me, the shipping options are something that the buyer chooses for him/herself, and it doesn't play into the face value. But I'm not a native English speaker, so I might be wrong ...
  • Options
    To me, the shipping options are something that the buyer chooses for him/herself, and it doesn't play into the face value. But I'm not a native English speaker, so I might be wrong ...
    you really helping me to make understand what people means about face value..shipping i paid in or out??
    im not a native English speaker myself...ok everyone knows that.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    "Face value" to me, means the total cost you incurred in purchasing the poster. So that would be the price plus the shipping charge you paid to receive the poster.

this
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Caveeze wrote:
    +1 on this from me. I would say face value is what it cost for you to get the thing, ie cost&shipping. Changes completely when the thing is a few years old perhaps, or rare & a 'collector item'.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    So you will have to have the proof for the shipping and everything on hand when you sell, to prove all the costs. I see. I might have interpreted "face value" wrong.
  • Options
    Its like selling a ticket for face..

ticket+fees=face value... in every parking lot across this great land :D

no different with a poster to me..
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:
    +1 on this from me. I would say face value is what it cost for you to get the thing, ie cost&shipping. Changes completely when the thing is a few years old perhaps, or rare & a 'collector item'.
    most has this opinion as i see..
    i just need to understand what is fair and what face value actually means
    for exable we say,i have a 10c tix im selling face value..meand what i paid..lets say 70$,im selling 70$
    no pro,i understand what it means the term,cos there was no shipping cost for the original buyer..
    but with merch,like poster,the original buyer,didnt pay Only the price of the poster,but paid the shipping too..
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    are we really this naive?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:

^^ Yep. +1 from me again. :)

So funny seeing both you kids posting. I can imagine you both sitting at home on your laptops or whatever. I visited a friend recently, I walked in when I got to their place & there they both were sitting on the couch with their laptops. 21st century eh? :lol::lol:8-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:

i see your point..i use the ticket exable as well at my last post
  • Options
    morello wrote:

So funny seeing both you kids posting. I can imagine you both sitting at home on your laptops or whatever. I visited a friend recently, I walked in when I got to their place & there they both were sitting on the couch with their laptops. 21st century eh? :lol::lol:8-)
    i was thinking the same too :lol::lol:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So you will have to have the proof for the shipping and everything on hand when you sell, to prove all the costs. I see. I might have interpreted "face value" wrong.
    thats again the issue..
    can i say "face value "when i enter the shipping cost in???

or i say what i origanaly paid ..and we all consinder it fair..

if im not wrong,i remember someone from europe a year ago,bought a S/N poster,90+35 shipping and asked when he sell it as he said for "face value 150$( 125 what he paid +25 registered )shipped to usa!!
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
  • Options
    morello wrote:

:)
    <hr>
  • Options
    morello wrote:

sometimes it is best if she is in there, and I am in here..

we will meet later, in there, and all will be well ;)

cheers to marriage :D:D
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:
    morello wrote:

sometimes it is best if she is in there, and I am in here..

we will meet later, in there, and all will be well ;)

cheers to marriage :D:D
    :)
    <hr>
  • Options

I disagree. Because that means after shipping it to someone else I end up losing money. For example, I buy a poster for $35. The cost to ship it to me is $15. Total $50.

If I turn around and sell that item for $50 shipping included, I'm PAYING the $15 shipping, only netting back $35, losing $15 on the transaction.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

I disagree. Because that means after shipping it to someone else I end up losing money. For example, I buy a poster for $35. The cost to ship it to me is $15. Total $50.

If I turn around and sell that item for $50 shipping included, I'm PAYING the $15 shipping, only netting back $35, losing $15 on the transaction.

But wouldn't the buyer pay the shipping? So if you sold it for $50 and the buyer pays the shipping you wouldn't lose or gain anything, and that is what I understand is "face value".
  • Options

ok,im confused..you disagree?arent you say the same thing with "front spacer"?
  • Options

If a poster cost you $35 & shipping to get it to you cost $15 then "face value" cost for you to sell it at is $50. Then if it needs shipping to the new buyer that would be on top of that, ie if it then costs another $15 to send it to the new buyer they need to give you $65. That's how I understand it all works.
    <hr>
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    [
    If a poster cost you $35 & shipping to get it to you cost $15 then "face value" cost for you to sell it at is $50. Then if it needs shipping to the new buyer that would be on top of that, ie if it then costs another $15 to send it to the new buyer they need to give you $65. That's how I understand it all works.
    yep..works that way..
    now see something funny.
    as i said in the beggining,lets use an exable,i want to sell my berlin 10 poster..30+11..what a paid for and we say its face value..
    now..
    berlin poster isnt available anywhere in the site..so actually,i can ask whatever i want..
    but lets stay i want the money i spent back..30$+11$

but if i want to sell my venice 2010 poster..actually i cant..
    1st cos not allowed to sell anything is for sale in the site,Venice 2010 is available in the shop..
    You can trade and set a reasonable price here for Pearl Jam memorabilia as long as the item is not available elsewhere on the site.
    2nd will be consider flipping if i say 41,while here in the site the price was 30 $,(now its on sale,20$)
    * Flipping is buying items (from Ten Club or merch booth, etc.) with the intent to resell for a profit.
    even the rules can mess things!! :lol:

thats why i start the thread,what means face value??the original price of the item,or what cost me including shipping cost when i originaly bought it?