Best BBQ in Kansas City?

mydogmookieblaylockmydogmookieblaylock Posts: 2,996
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I need to know - preferably near downtown......

thanks in advance
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Someone from KC can answer this best....We we drove x-country last we we spent a night in KC and ate at Jack Stack and it was fucking awesome. I am sure that there are probably many small hole in the wall local joints that full carry the local flavor and might be better.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Someone from KC can answer this best....We we drove x-country last we we spent a night in KC and ate at Jack Stack and it was fucking awesome. I am sure that there are probably many small hole in the wall local joints that full carry the local flavor and might be better.
    right on -- thats what i am hoping for -- i have ate Jack Stack the last 2 times i was there but am to the point where i need to know what the locals eat.
    hoping that similar taste in music = similar taste in bbq haha.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I have no idea where we were but it was the very best ever! Lovely restaurant with a great bar and bartender.
    I heart KC! :D
  • jasonjason Posts: 468
    #1. Oklahoma Joe's is #1. Its in a gas station, so the line can be quite long, but well worth it. The Z-Man is the best, but ask for double meat. Not alot of extra cash and soooo worth it. Fries you can share. Best in town!

#2. Gates is my next choice. Awesome, but Oklahoma Joe's is my favorite

#3. Been to Arthur Bryant's and was not impressed. I have seen the travel channel promote it, but would not be a first choice to go back.

#4. My parents went to Stroud's for chicken and said its very good. I have not been there, but its outside the city limits too. So might be something on the way, but if you want BBQ, Oklahoma Joe's is #1 in my book!
  • jason wrote:
    #1. Oklahoma Joe's is #1. Its in a gas station, so the line can be quite long, but well worth it. The Z-Man is the best, but ask for double meat. Not alot of extra cash and soooo worth it. Fries you can share. Best in town!

#3. Been to Arthur Bryant's and was not impressed. I have seen the travel channel promote it, but would not be a first choice to go back.

#4. My parents went to Stroud's for chicken and said its very good. I have not been there, but its outside the city limits too. So might be something on the way, but if you want BBQ, Oklahoma Joe's is #1 in my book!
    awesome - thanks Jason!
    Giddy up! Enjoy hope its a great trip! Let me know what you think. Hope I don't leave you astray, but I think the locals would agree.
  • jason wrote:

This guy nailed it!! I used to live in KC for 8 yrs!! Only I personally would say fuck Gates.. Do Wyandotte!! Much better sauces, and the meat is more tender! Have fun!
    jason wrote:

This guy nailed it!! I used to live in KC for 8 yrs!! Only I personally would say fuck Gates.. Do Wyandotte!! Much better sauces, and the meat is more tender! Have fun!

Wyandotte? I will have to try that next time I am down there. Never heard of it.

I used to go down there every year for the Twins vs Royals series and a reason to visit friends down there. Now they seem to play in April on a Tues-Thurs series. Really? April and a mid-week series? Maybe next year?!!?! But the BBQ might be worth the trip for any reason.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Mmmmmm ... brisket

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp_XRkJHA9pq7yAqYRhB1bpOKnnZ8SXN9VMMPHaVGN7KcuqYFd
  • jason wrote:

Agreed - Oklahoma Joe's is a must. So damn good.
  • jason wrote:
    jason wrote:

Wyandotte? I will have to try that next time I am down there. Never heard of it.

I used to go down there every year for the Twins vs Royals series and a reason to visit friends down there. Now they seem to play in April on a Tues-Thurs series. Really? April and a mid-week series? Maybe next year?!!?! But the BBQ might be worth the trip for any reason.
    If ya want to check out Wyandotte's there are two. One is in Overland Park.. Actually closer
    to Shawnee Mission, and the second one is in Wyandotte County, (KCK), off of State Ave. I suggest the one in KCK. Enjoy!
  • Thanks again!
    we are all set for Oklahoma Joe's Saturday - Royals game that night and the Black Keys / Flaming Lips show Sunday --- Super Stoked for Saturday to get here!
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Born and raised in KC. For me growing up, it is Smokestack (Jack Stack) hands down, but I haven't been to Oklahoma Joe's. I hear it's even better. I'm sure they wont disappoint. And I know you can buy vacuum packed ribs from Gate's, which I've had before too. I always keep Gate's sauce in the house. I stock up whenever I make it back home. Can't find it here but damn it's the best sauce in the world, IMO. Stay longer and eat barbeque for every meal!
    I love the Kaufman Stadium. Its old, but renovated. I wish more stadiums are that cool. The food is eh though so don't come hungry!

Have a great trip!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:
    Mmmmmm ... brisket

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp_XRkJHA9pq7yAqYRhB1bpOKnnZ8SXN9VMMPHaVGN7KcuqYFd

i was just thinking that.

off to research how to properly cook on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Haven't been to KC since I was too young to appreciate good bbq, but I could just about drink Arthur Bryant's Sweet Heat sauce right out of the bottle.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    1. Oklahoma Joe's
    2. Everything else
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    1. Oklahoma Joe's
    2. Everything else

and a boulevard to wash it down.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Oklahoma Joe's hands down!!! Born and raised in KC Zman or Smokie Joe some fries! Gotta love it!
    Kansas City 1998, Kansas City 2000, EV- Santa Cruz 2008, EV- Berkeley #1 2008, EV- Berkeley #2 2008, Outside Lands 2009, Seattle #2 2009, Portland 2009, LA #3 2009, LA #4 2009, SD 2009, KC 2010, STL 2010, CBUS 2010, Indy 2010, Cle 2010, Buffalo 2010, Boston 2010, Newark 2010, MSG 1 2010, MSG 2 2010, PJ20 1 2011, PJ20 2 2011, Midtown 2012, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013, OKC 2013, STL 2014, Tulsa 2014, Lincoln 2014.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    81 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    1. Oklahoma Joe's
    2. Everything else

YES!

Specifically, Double Wide IPA or Bully Porter.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    There is no such thing as truly good BBQ in Canada. Most barely even know what it is - they rave about how good it is, I try it, and it's actually absolute crap. The closest good BBQ to me is The Hole In The Wall in Seattle. So I hate to veer of topic a bit, but anyone know of very good BBQ places in Chicago as well? Are there any?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mfc2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    1. Oklahoma Joe's
    2. Everything else

YES!

Specifically, Double Wide IPA or Bully Porter.

both excellent selections.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • we smashed KC - the line for Oklahoma Joe's was around the corner though so we just went to Stacks - we were tired and hungry :(
    maybe next time i will plan better.
    We saw the royals win - the zoo (which was pretty cool) and a kick ass Flaming Lips / Black Keys show!

thanks Kansas City!
    we smashed KC - the line for Oklahoma Joe's was around the corner though so we just went to Stacks - we were tired and hungry :(
    maybe next time i will plan better.
    We saw the royals win - the zoo (which was pretty cool) and a kick ass Flaming Lips / Black Keys show!

thanks Kansas City!

Bummer! Next time for sure. Sadly, the line is usually that long most days. If its outside you are looking at 45 minutes to an hour, but its not terrible. Its worth the experience. Hope you make it back.

I love Kaufman Stadium, its one of my favorites. I think in the summer they do fireworks on Friday nights after the game and a fountain show to go along with it. Pretty sweet.

The best part is no one goes so you can get a $8 seat and sit just about anywhere in the stadium and no one will bother you.
    How come the further north you go, the less BBQ there is??? Pretty sure we all like cow and pig up here.

It vexes me. I'm terribly vexed.

:fp:
    Jason P wrote:
    How come the further north you go, the less BBQ there is??? Pretty sure we all like cow and pig up here.

I guess for the same reason that the further north in America you go the less Mexican food there is. Or the further west you go across Asia the less Chinese food there is. Food is generally regional and rooted in local/cultural traditions.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

I guess for the same reason that the further north in American you go the less Mexican food there is. Or the further west you go across Asia the less Chinese food there is. Food is generally regional and rooted in local/cultural traditions.
    Cow and pig are much more a part of the culture up north then Mexican food and mexican resturants outnumber BBQ resturants 200 to 1 up here.

It's quite mind boggling.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVILybXSvfMFppMVxngMZzTZ9RWfdoDDZS5XR7nVKmXbUjW2qK
    Jason P wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

I guess for the same reason that the further north in American you go the less Mexican food there is. Or the further west you go across Asia the less Chinese food there is. Food is generally regional and rooted in local/cultural traditions.
    Cow and pig are much more a part of the culture up north then Mexican food and mexican resturants outnumber BBQ resturants 200 to 1 up here.

It's quite mind boggling.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVILybXSvfMFppMVxngMZzTZ9RWfdoDDZS5XR7nVKmXbUjW2qK
    Yeah, so we eat steak and pork chops and stuff. But BBQ is Southern. And there are way more Mexicans who moved North than Southerners. And Mexican is way easier to make and cheaper. Good brisket takes 15 hours to make and is only good to eat for about 4 hours after that!

Tee hee hee. Grumpy cat. :D
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Not complaining. Mexican food is my favorite