Options

eurotour: is it really that *bad* up front?

Comments

• Options
    JaymacJaymac Posts: 513
    V V wrote:
    dont listen to him :rolleyes: Dreamstar, i got there around 4pm got my wrist band , got my ticket and was close enough ;) hehe

That's what I'm saying ;)
    Get there at 3:30 when the box office opens and you'll be at the front :)
    23/08/2006 - Dublin; 29/08/2006 - Arnhem; 30/08/2006 - Antwerp; 18/06/2007 - London; 18/08/2009 - London<br>

Proud member of the European Touring Bus 2006!
  • Options
    The crowds in Europe are fine. Although it looks pretty bad the majority of people are very considerate, especially to us ladies :D You always get a few idiots and thankfully security are most shows seems to be pretty spot on with dealing with any trouble. :D You'll be fine. I'll be aiming for the front for most Italy shows.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    redrock wrote:
    I'd never change my 1st row dead in front of Ed!

Oohhhh yeeessssss! :D:D

haha, BEHAVE!!
    :D
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Buru wrote:
    haha, BEHAVE!!
    :D

Too difficult.... way too difficult!
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    LOL, does that mean we won't have to worry about people flying over our heads?...i wear glasses, i guess i should bring an extra set just in case.

really? But how much was because you wanted to be so early and how much was because there were too many people on the queue?

to get first row I think if you show just a bit before box office opens you should be ok, maybe 1/2 hour before is my guess - this is just to be sure you get first row...

Some people will fly over your heads, but I did see people with glasses, and they still had them on when it ended so, should be ok - although I would never recommend glasses at a rock concert :p
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    D2D, I reckon if you're there before lunchtime you're guaranteed front row. Of the two concerts I've been to, Astoria & Dublin, I got the barrier both times cos I was there at 9/10am. the people in the queue are nice anyway but make sure you bring food and water, lol, we learned the hard way in Dublin :D . If I didn't get to the barrier I probably wouldn't have stayed in the pit - I'm 5'4 - I think it's worth it going a couple of hours earlier to make front row DEFINITELY!!!!!!!! Cos at least you have air coming at you from the front, water when you need it and security can see easier if you're getting into trouble... and you can put your elbows between you and the barrier to give more space.

cool. :cool:
    i am 5 ' - 4" too. and hell, babrbara is smaller than me and can handle it. i think too, exactly...having the barrier to hold onto will make all the difference. besides, being *that close* to ed willl just be too inspiring/mesmerizing. :p haha.

seems there will be much competition for front row in front of ed,s o watch it...i'm a tough NYer. :cool: ok not really...although with ed being the good reason......:D

i just hope there are restrooms that we can use throughout the day, i cannot imagine not having one. :eek: and, when they finally let us in...i don't want to have to use the facitilities, i need to head straight to the barrier!

Jaymac wrote:
    There are only 300 10c tickets per show (150 pairs) so if you have 10c tickets and arrive as the box office opens, and then head to the queue, you should be guaranteed front row - unless it's like Dublin, which was a disaster!

I was there shortly after Buru at 11am

really? that's it? how can you be sure? i thought it was 10% of the venue capacity, or so i have heard. only 300? wow.

and V V and blanche, thank you both for the clarification. ;) haha. makes much more sense.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    BlancheBlanche Posts: 247
    I need to give another opinion on how bad it is up front.

The crowd at Bercy was much rougher than in Marseille.
    Much more smooshing, more people passing out, people surfing, elbows in your ears...

But the extra 3" still helped.

I think it depends on the general vibe of the city where the venue takes place.
    Marseille is known for being more laid back and the Dome is much smaller than Bercy.
    Paris is a more aggrressive town and Bercy is way bigger than the Dome.
    I felt these differences in the audience's behavior.
    So I don't really know what you can expect in Italy.
    Just enjoy the shows. :)
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    it really depends of the town.
    My experience from front rows (every time, but then very long wait..good that there's loads of nice people to talk to whilst waiting :)), as a 5'6" toughy woman:

Dublin (stone side) and Lisbon (corner, one side each) were totally fine, even a bit back seemed to be ok.
    Barcelona and even more Paris were rough (both Mike side). I was quickly completely drenched with sweat (by song 2 in Paris!), bit difficult to breath at time (partly because the venue was so hot, it's not just the crowd).

Stone side is always a bit quiter though so I'd aim for that if you're not sure (on the T configuration you can see Mike just as well if in the corner), or right on the side (best sport to get the tambourines apparently ;))

Frankly, on some of those, I would not stand it if not right upfront..
    but I'd say try..you can always pull back/get out if you find it too hard and find yourself a spot further back.

Milan, from what I heard of milanese, is likely to be rough..just so you know.

Pistoia being so small should be fine on the other hand (on GA on that one so no chance of front row this time for me..might make a nice change of POV mind you).

have fun, see you there.
  • Options
    dreadisdreadis Posts: 109
    To be honest...all this talk will make no point in Italy :) Those guys are f'n maaaaaaad, I tell you! I almost died in Milan last time....now, knowing that it will be Milanx4...I don't think I will be eable to endure! :)
    '96_londonx2
    '00_salzburg_ljubljana_verona_milano
    '06_bologna_verona_milano_torino_pistoia_zagreb

My trading page: http://db.etree.org/dreadis
  • Options
    DunDun Posts: 48
    I was about ten rows from the front in Marseille and had to get to the back during the third song as it was getting too mad for me; I couldn't look at the band at all - and I'm 27, 5'9" and more than a few pounds heavier than I should be. I foolishly thought that if i managed to get closer to the barrier at Bercy, it would be a lot better. More fool me. It was 10 times worse, and I couldn't wait to get out of there. Ruined one of my favs too, Save You, as I was being shoved round three feet this way, three feet another in seconds, and being crushed. I don't give a feck what people say about lightweights or whatever, I think moshing/slamming is a sad excuse for those who can't appreciate the music for what it is.

I went down the back of Bercy and thoroughly enjoyed the concert from there. I could have ranted a lot more, but I'm typing this from a Parisien Cybercafe and the French keyboard's driving me mad!!!
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    If Paris was any indication, I'm not going to bother trying to be upfront in Italy. I'll be enjoying the shows way more a little more in the back.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    DunDun Posts: 48
    I'd say it will be the same - it seems to have been a pattern (everywhere except Antwerp - sounds like it would have been my dream gig). As someone posted earlier, they should have a mosh pit somewhere down the back, since they won't be seeing the band anyhow.
  • Options
    lgtlgt Posts: 720
    I also heard that Milan will be wild, considering past experience of those who went there.

Better to aim for the back and sides of the pit!

For Pistoia, if it's same as for the Blues Festival, there could be a "tribuna" - basically, they put up an area within the square with seats and anyone can go.
  • Options
    Buru wrote:
    I would never recommend glasses at a rock concert :p

Yes i know :D That's why i need to get first row, so i can get rid off the glasses on the concert -lol-
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
  • Options
    PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    The Point in Dublin was full of w*nkers, especially near the front. I'm 6'2 but had to move about two thirds of the way back just to have space to breath.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    PaulJam wrote:
    The Point in Dublin was full of w*nkers, especially near the front. I'm 6'2 but had to move about two thirds of the way back just to have space to breath.
    really?? we were right at the front and it was almost too comfy!
    were you on the second pit by any chance?
  • Options
    well, guess i am one scrappy/tough little NYer. ;) haha. thanks to barbara queueing up early in bologna for us and sure, spending serious time in the crazy 10c queues myself, managed to be on the rail/front row for every italian gig sans the seated verona show....which my paultry 10c # still managed to garner 4th row dead center!...and i survived em all! i knew there'd be no way i'd survive in the crowd, crushed like that...but up on the rail, sure got crushed...but also got water, and most importantly, air. bologna was by far the hottest, milan the most molesting...but yea...i made it and it was completely worth it. BIG thanks to my fave israelis in pistoia...you really saved me there after all my injuries/travels/4 other shows and total exhaustion, don't think i'd have made it otherwise. also too, HUGE thanks to pearl jam...b/c no matter how hot/crushed/in pain/exhausted i was, once those first opening notes began, i was completely rejuvenated. :D amazing, amazing times!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    I'm glad Americans have pretty much quit moshing. I guess it was cool in the early to mid 90s ... last time I was in one was an early Foo Fighters show, right after their 2nd album came out ... but it just got obnoxious, and I'd be really dissapointed if it happened at a Pearl Jam concert.
  • Options
    Good to hear u survived d2d! U got some amazing shows! :cool:

To funny to read about my T here :D it's just a really cool shirt.. and makes me drop dead sexy ;)
    your light's reflected now
  • Options
    PaulJam wrote:

I was right at the front.. didn't have any problems!
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    redrock wrote:
    I was right at the front.. didn't have any problems!

for what I know, the front in Dublin was pure heaven compared to the middle! :eek:
    I mean, I'm quite a tough chick but being in the middle was just way too much! people were pushing each other around and jumping on everyone. alright, I get the jumping, obviously but the pushing..
    that's why I had to go to the side, I literally could not breathe anymore. luckily people closer to the sides were nice and let me go past them. (thank you!) I must've looked like hell (lol.) trying to make my way asking "could you let me through? I'm going to the side, I can't breathe.."
    but then on the side, it was lovely. sure, people were jumping around and on top of everyone but there was more room and I got a better view. :)

luckily they played Given To Fly right after DTE so I had a chance to move.. lol. I've always loved that song and now it's basically also saved my life! :D:D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    Like Buru said, Arnhem was a walk in the park, kay not 1st row, but 10 / 15 meters back. Antwerp I was not holding on to anything and people just ran to the front the moment they started playing. I let no one thru and stood my ground, but still pretty annoying.

Hi Redrock, I saw u in Antwerp :)
  • Options
    Obi Once wrote:
    Like Buru said, Arnhem was a walk in the park, kay not 1st row, but 10 / 15 meters back. Antwerp I was not holding on to anything and people just ran to the front the moment they started playing. I let no one thru and stood my ground, but still pretty annoying.

Hi Redrock, I saw u in Antwerp :)

Did you? Where? What's your name? Are you that nice man that was in the queue where Buru was?
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Did you? Where? What's your name? Are you that nice man that was in the queue where Buru was?
    Yea the tall one with the short hair.. We didnt get introduced. You wanted to bring your poster tube inside, remember?
  • Options
    noa.whonoa.who Posts: 130
    Do you guys have any advice for my small self? Is there something we first timers should know?
    Watch me make up my mind instead of my face
  • Options
    no a wrote:
    Do you guys have any advice for my small self? Is there something we first timers should know?
    If you are in the front area: have something to hold on too
  • Options
    no a wrote:

do what we did. get to the 10c queue early, we normally got there between 12 or 1 pm. everyone there early got rail. the italians got a bit pushy about it and the 10c queue got a bit uglier than needed, would be nice if there was more direction/supervision but that's another story/thread....but yea, anyone there early was guaranteed a front row spot. basically, that's all you need; get there early, queue, grab some rail and hold on! :D that's how i managed to survive 4 rough and rowdy italian GA shows from start to finish, i never gave up my spot. verona was a nice break, assigned seats, lots of space to dance in the pouring rain. :) great times.

btw - hi obi!
    funny to read about your T here too, glad you love it so much. and sure, you don't need any T to make you drop dead sexy. ;) haha. get yer dutch arse to NY man! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Thank you!
    A few friends of mine attended the shows in Italy and told me basically the same, and also added to ask for the people near me to watch my back (they said almost every 10Clubber they met was very kind and generous).
    so I think thats what I'm going to do. thanks again. :)
  • Options
    no a wrote:
    Thank you!
    A few friends of mine attended the shows in Italy and told me basically the same, and also added to ask for the people near me to watch my back (they said almost every 10Clubber they met was very kind and generous).
    so I think thats what I'm going to do. thanks again. :)

you're welcome. :)

seriously, i was a bit concerned myself at first after reading accounts from earlier euro shows. i am not all that young anymore, altho still younger than the band ;)....and i'm not in bad shape, but not great shape either. :p ha. anyway, i REALLY wanted to fully take advantage of being at GA shows and getting front row which otherwise i'd never be able to manage with my 10c # in the states. so yea, completely worth it.

i found that in italy in particular, it was the same 10clubbers over and over in each city, traveling for shows, italians and non-italians alike, traveling from all over. so yes, people really looked after each other it was so great. it's a lot of work, but so worthy....glad i made the effort b/c it was unreal to be on the rail for every show. if i can hold on i am sure you can too. amazingly, there aren't that many 10c tix for each show so even if you got there later, but before the early entry time, i bet you'd still get rail. enjoy! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    you're welcome. :)

seriously, i was a bit concerned myself at first after reading accounts from earlier euro shows. i am not all that young anymore, altho still younger than the band ;)....and i'm not in bad shape, but not great shape either. :p ha. anyway, i REALLY wanted to fully take advantage of being at GA shows and getting front row which otherwise i'd never be able to manage with my 10c # in the states. so yea, completely worth it.

i found that in italy in particular, it was the same 10clubbers over and over in each city, traveling for shows, italians and non-italians alike, traveling from all over. so yes, people really looked after each other it was so great. it's a lot of work, but so worthy....glad i made the effort b/c it was unreal to be on the rail for every show. if i can hold on i am sure you can too. amazingly, there aren't that many 10c tix for each show so even if you got there later, but before the early entry time, i bet you'd still get rail. enjoy! :)

Well, with you being not so young and me being 16 (which is maybe a bit too young :D), the fact that we both can enjoy shows from up-front is pretty great!
    I'm really happy for you. being on the rail for 5 (or was it four?) consecutive shows sounds dreamy!
    I will enjoy every single moment of my first show, that I can assure you.
    Thank you for sharing you experience.