Options

eurotour: is it really that *bad* up front?

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
edited September 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
hey all...those of you have hit up one or more shows thus far, what's been your experience?

i've read a few posts/threads...especially in regards to the spanish shows, and honestly i am a wee bit concerned. is it really that tough up front?

i WANT to get as close as possible, i'd really like to make the rail and hold out at least one entire show...i am traveling a long way for this experience like many of you...so i am VERY curious. i'll be at all 5 italian shows and i have heard italian crowds are GREAT...but also maybe rather crazy? :p haha.

i am rather vertically-challenged, 37 year old female, but i can hold my own normally...think i can do it? i got really pushed about at irving plaza until i got pushed so forward that i ended up about 3 people away from mike and few friends helped me stay put. any tips?

no matter WHAT...it'll be GREAT...i just would like some more info, be prepared....thanks. :)

so share your experiences!
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    hey dreamn, do you have TC tickets or not?

If you're first row to the sides you should be fine, I had no problem in any of the shows- Barcelona was quite a bit more pushy, but I was also closer to the middle

rows 2-5 can be a bit more hectic, but I think you will be able to survive :p
    Although I did see quite a few people being carried out in the shows (possibly Barcelona is where I saw the most)

In Arnhem I was quite a bit back, maybe row 15, still could see perfectly and there was no pushing whatsoever, I even had room to move/dance
    but i guess it depends a lot on the people in attendance
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    Buru wrote:
    hey dreamn, do you have TC tickets or not?

If you're first row to the sides you should be fine, I had no problem in any of the shows- Barcelona was quite a bit more pushy, but I was also closer to the middle

rows 2-5 can be a bit more hectic, but I think you will be able to survive :p
    Although I did see quite a few people being carried out in the shows (possibly Barcelona is where I saw the most)

In Arnhem I was quite a bit back, maybe row 15, still could see perfectly and there was no pushing whatsoever, I even had room to move/dance
    but i guess it depends a lot on the people in attendance

thanks. :)
    i DO have 10c tix to all shows. i would LOVE to be front and center just once...eh who am i kiddin', i'd LOVE it for all 5 shows :cool: hahaha...but yea, just once would be great too, i just don't want to get killed in the process. man, i really do not care for crowds or being crushed/pushed...but yea, only for pearl jam. :D

i know V V posted she had to get out at a show, i have read of others not being able to take it...so thus it does concern me a bit. i AM going to give it a go most definitely, but yea......hahaha.

i wonder just how early i have to queue to get front row? sheesh. spend more time in line than the show...hahaha....but ed THAT close? :eek: yea.......WORTH IT. *ahem.....clears naughty thoughts* ;)

btw - you are tall, so yea...bit easier for you to see, anywhere. :p
    obi sent me a pic of you and him, also saw a pic of you with heineken helen's crowd, and i've heard you actually got a swig of ed's wine one night. you lucky, lucky girl. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    do you call a festival and a small random show proper pearl jam shows?
  • Options
    i DO have 10c tix to all shows. i would LOVE to be front and center just once...eh who am i kiddin', i'd LOVE it for all 5 shows :cool: hahaha...but yea, just once would be great too, i just don't want to get killed in the process. many, i really do not care for crowds or being crushed/pushed...but yea, only for pearl jam. :D

i know V V posted she had to get out at a show, i have read of others not being able to take it...so thus it does concern me a bit. i AM going to give it a go most definitely, but yea......hahaha.

i wonder just how early i have to queue to get front row? sheesh. spend more time in line than the show...hahaha....but ed THAT close? :eek: yea.......WORTH IT. *ahem.....clears naughty thoughts* ;)

btw - you are tall, so yea...bit easier for you to see, anywhere. :p
    obi sent me a pic of you and him, also saw a pic of you with heineken helen's crowd, and i've heard you actually got a swig of ed's wine one night. you lucky, lucky girl. :)

yeah, I got a swig!! :cool:
    Hanging out with Obi was cool, and the dublin crowd was great as well

you have to get there pretty early to be first row, I'd say at least 2 hours before box office opens... (don't know how many TC people there will be for the Italy shows, but probably a lot)
    I am a bit crazy so for Dublin I was there at 10 am... for Antwerp at 11 am (had no TC tickets), for Barcelona 2 pm... :p
  • Options
    Buru wrote:
    yeah, I got a swig!! :cool:
    Hanging out with Obi was cool, and the dublin crowd was great as well

you have to get there pretty early to be first row, I'd say at least 2 hours before box office opens... (don't know how many TC people there will be for the Italy shows, but probably a lot)
    I am a bit crazy so for Dublin I was there at 10 am... for Antwerp at 11 am (had no TC tickets), for Barcelona 2 pm... :p

holy fuck! really?
    shit. i don't think that will be happening. yikes. eh we shall see, barbara may motivate me...but sweet jeebus....yikes. who woulda EVER thunk i'd be doing such at 37? :o hahaha. and yea, i think the italian shows will be crazy overall, seems a LOT of 10clubbers had the same idea...how convenient, see pj 5x all in the same country. :p eh, also will make it THAT much more fun too...so got to look at the pros/cons...and fuck it, i AM seeing pearl jam......5 times....in ITALY!!! sheesh. what's not to love? *beams*

i am jealous you met my dutch love ;) and he my argentinian love. damnnit, you BOTH need to get yer arses to NY!!! :D

i brisk i - a pearl jam show is a pearl jam show. :) i am just curious about the GA atmosphere in europe. i have been to quite a few concerts in england years and years ago, but always had seats, no GA.....and my recent GA experiences here in NY, apart from irving plaza, pretty tame/good. even irving, was amazing seeing pj in such a small venue, but sure a bit scary at times...and errrr...a bit yuck, drenched in my own, and everyone else's sweat too. yikes. haha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    holy fuck! really?
    shit. i don't think that will be happening. yikes. eh we shall see, barbara may motivate me...but sweet jeebus....yikes. who woulda EVER thunk i'd be doing such at 37? :o hahaha. and yea, i think the italian shows will be crazy overall, seems a LOT of 10clubbers had the same idea...how convenient, see pj 5x all in the same country. :p eh, also will make it THAT much more fun too...so got to look at the pros/cons...and fuck it, i AM seeing pearl jam......5 times....in ITALY!!! sheesh. what's not to love? *beams*

i am jealous you met my dutch love ;) and he my argentian love. damnnit, you BOTH need to get yer arses to NY!!! :D

i brisk i - a pearl jam show is a pearl jam show. :) i am just curious about the GA atmosphere in europe. i have been to quite a few concerts in england years and years ago, but always had seats, no GA.....and my recent GA experiences here in NY, apart from irving plaza, pretty tame/good. even irving, wasd amazing, but sure a bit scary at times...and errrr...a bit yuck, drecnched in my own, and everyone else's sweat too. yikes. haha.

It will probably be less of a hassle than the Irving Plaza thing, is my guess
    although I wasnt there. Even if you dont get 1st row you will be close if you have TC tix...

compared to south american GA, very very tame
    so it kinda was a walk in the park for me haha (Barcelona was more like a south american show, but less savage)

I think Obi had a tshirt that was a gift from you when we met... (maybe, he did say something to that avail)
  • Options
    Buru wrote:
    It will probably be less of a hassle than the Irving Plaza thing, is my guess
    although I wasnt there. Even if you dont get 1st row you will be close if you have TC tix...

so it kinda was a walk in the park for me haha (Barcelona was more like a south american show, but less savage)

I think Obi had a tshirt that was a gift from you when we met... (maybe, he did say something to that avail)

yes, he did. it really is so sweet/cute. back for the VFC tour i think?...i bought hubby and him the same Tshirt. the ONLY 2 people i have ever bought a pearl jam shirt for, i don't even get em for myself. i knew he'd be happy and love it...i just didn't realize it would turn into *the* concert T for him...he has informed me he wears it to EVERY show he attends...so yea...sooo cute!

alrighty, well i'll let ya know how it all goes when i return. i AM going to try goddamnnit! it IS so worth the effort, so we shall see if i can handle it, and yea....it's almost like a personal challenge. i KNOW my husband no way could handle irving plaza, he can't stand crowds/being pushed...it freaks him out, so yea...i was proud of myself that i made it through. :p hahaha. i just feel like, italy is my *ONE* chance to get front and center in front of ed, i hope anyway. ;) my 10C # is no where good enough, and i personally am not close friends with anyone with THAT good of a #, so yea......who knows what the future may bring, but right now...gotta take my chance. :p

thanks for your input and i hope others will weigh in with their experiences too. so yea, you've inspired me.....i'm a tough little NYer, italian-american, i can take it. :D haha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    I just want you to have a great time!! you deserve it!!!!

Us 30 something women are tough as nails! lol!

But I too am very vertically challenged at 5 feet tall..:(
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Options
    BeBe wrote:
    I just want you to have a great time!! you deserve it!!!!

Us 30 something women are tough as nails! lol!

But I too am very vertically challenged at 5 feet tall..:(

that expression makes me crack up
    (vertically challenged)
  • Options
    barcelona was madness. people were falling down. pushsing around . half way through people werent even clapping up front thats how exhausted we were. i was really rough upfront.. but i decided to stay cause the stage was really small and upclose and didnt wanna miss it. almost caught ed tambourine.. the guy next to me did :(
    I change by not changing at all.
  • Options
    Buru wrote:

LOL, does that mean we won't have to worry about people flying over our heads?...i wear glasses, i guess i should bring an extra set just in case.
    Buru wrote:
    I am a bit crazy so for Dublin I was there at 10 am... for Antwerp at 11 am (had no TC tickets), for Barcelona 2 pm...

really? But how much was because you wanted to be so early and how much was because there were too many people on the queue?
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
  • Options
    Safe to have glasses on at the Milan show you think?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Antwerp was pretty rough on the left (Mike's) side of the barrier. I was on the fifth row, leaning against that barrier. Some (almost) fainted girls got pulled out of the crowd even BEFORE the gig started - though that was on the other side.

When the show started, our side was like a rockin' ocean - swaying back and forth. Security was pretty tight though. They were up there immediately urging some folks to cool it down.

At some point, my g/f got scared though. She was glad she had the barrier, me and two big enough guys surrounding her to take the blows. :) But as soon as part one - the fast and rocking part it as in Antwerp - was over it got a lot more relaxed.

She hated the first part, but absolutely loved to two encores.

Leaving for Paris in a few hours!!

PS: Obi also told me about his T :)
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    Dublin box office for ten club tickets opened at 3.30. we got there just at 3.30 and queued from then. If it was not for me stopping on the way in to get a poster we would have been front row. but we got in the 2nd row right on front of ed. he stared into our eyes a few times and shit thats scary... but cool... but scary. Anyway yeah it was pretty mad in 2nd row. we left at the end of the main set to about 30feet back from the stage where we could breath, move etc. and personnally i enjoyed it more being further back. I was with my girlfriend who was also 'vertically challenged' but did a good job of holding her own until the main set finished.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    Safe to have glasses on at the Milan show you think?
    i wore glasses in front at barce. thats no problem.. theres no fighting:)
    I change by not changing at all.
  • Options
    My friend and I were about 4-5 rows back at leeds betweeen eddie and stone. It was pretty rough for the first 9 songs but it calmed down after that. My friend is quite small and nearly lost her glasses a few times and got pulled out during green disease. Rough, but definately not the roughest gig i've been to and it did calm down later
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I was second row in Dublin right behind Buru :D Had started queuing about 5 but by skipping merchandise it was easy to get up front. I am also very vertically challenged (ask Buru) but it was fine where I was. In Dublin though we did have the advantage of there being a seperate pit section so we didn't have the whole crowd pushing us :o There were a few people further back who had to be lifted out.

At Reading I got 2-3 rows from the front but they started with several really rocking numbers and at my height it was too much as I was crushed between a couple of much taller guys not able to see anything :( There were a lot of people getting pulled out, including V V.

I guess try for the front and see what happens. Front couple of rows (which should be easy to get with 10C tickets if you don't buy merchandise on the way in) should be ok.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    I was second row front with my hand on the rail (to steady myself) in Portugal.

But, Yeah, it was quite scary. Had I not had a hand on the front rail I would have gone down. My husband was pinwheeling behind me - Just being carried away by the crowd. What I hated most was that we couldn't listen/watch the band, or take pictures - It was so distracting. So we quickly left and went to the very back where we could just dance. I am not young, but I do work out and am quite strong. As is my husband, and he was being pushed all around and almost fell.

The next night from the balcony we could see what exactly was happening. The liquid and then erratic movement of the pits involved (est.) 200+ people. And those were generally two spots up front either side of the middle aisle that was blocked off. within the 10,000 or so people on the floor. Fucking scary. Thruout the night I noticed about 10 people being dragged from the pit (other than the body surfers) - but most of the time I was watching the band. But that is Portugal - don't know about other cities.

We bout regular tickets for the next day and gave away our club tix.
    As far as I know it is just Europe that has the pits (except once in Calif). All areas were general admission, so showing up early for the balcony seats netted us the best seats in the house - Close to the stage and a view of all the happenings on the floor. They were great seats.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    I was second row in Dublin right behind Buru :D Had started queuing about 5 but by skipping merchandise it was easy to get up front. I am also very vertically challenged (ask Buru) but it was fine where I was. In Dublin though we did have the advantage of there being a seperate pit section so we didn't have the whole crowd pushing us :o There were a few people further back who had to be lifted out.

At Reading I got 2-3 rows from the front but they started with several really rocking numbers and at my height it was too much as I was crushed between a couple of much taller guys not able to see anything :( There were a lot of people getting pulled out, including V V.

I guess try for the front and see what happens. Front couple of rows (which should be easy to get with 10C tickets if you don't buy merchandise on the way in) should be ok.

Yup, Chime is tiny! (sorry :D)
    and she managed the whole show
  • Options
    don't worry, it's not that tough, and when/if it gets a little bit tough, it's always the same handful of people who mosh, so then you just get out of their way for a couple of songs. it was one of the quieter rock concerts I've ever been to, due to the fact that the 10C pit is obviously very careful and respectful of each other. Then again, I've survived Pantera /Slayer shows ;)
  • Options
    BlancheBlanche Posts: 247
    I was in the 10th row on the floor and thought I wouldn't be able to see because there were lots of tall people in front of me.

However, Do the Evolution came on and the human wave pushed me to the 2nd row.
    And I had Eddie and Stone and Matt in plain view...!

Nonetheless, I was happy to have worn my 3" platform shoes. It was nice to have the extra height. In spite of the pushing and jockeying for a good view, I still have all my toes and none of them have changed shape.

I found the crowd pretty respectful, even if some people wanted to be dead center ('cos I was being pushed further to the right). The security men were good in giving us water when we needed it.

Just don't wear anything you really like.
    And have a fresh shirt for after the show, otherwise you'll catch cold.

Enjoy!
    :)
  • Options
    thanks all for sharing your experiences! i definitely am giving in a go in bologna, and see from there. thankfully get a break in verona, assigned 10c seats...hoping my mediocre # serves me well....and then back to jockeying in turin. :p

blanche, sounds JUST like what happened to me in irving plaza! hahaha. however, 3" heels and i would fall over and get trampled. i'll just stick with my comfy flats and hope i am on the rail. :D

i think i can take it, just reading a few experiences elsewhere, and even here.....gives me a wee bit of pause. however, fark it...i'm going to see pj in italy, so i am going to get right in the tthick of it, and hope to be right up there....and man, how SWEET it would be to be front and center at at least one show. :cool: be a shame i won't really be able to take pics being squished/unsteady...but oh so worth it if i can be there.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    BlancheBlanche Posts: 247
    blanche, sounds JUST like what happened to me in irving plaza! hahaha. however, 3" heels and i would fall over and get trampled. i'll just stick with my comfy flats and hope i am on the rail. :D
    The key word is 3" PLATFORMS. The only falling over would have been if there weren't so many people to prop me up, considering the degree of smoosh.
    Seriously, it wasn't worse than being on the train during a transit strike. Just a bit slippier. :eek:
  • Options
    D2D, I reckon if you're there before lunchtime you're guaranteed front row. Of the two concerts I've been to, Astoria & Dublin, I got the barrier both times cos I was there at 9/10am. the people in the queue are nice anyway but make sure you bring food and water, lol, we learned the hard way in Dublin :D . If I didn't get to the barrier I probably wouldn't have stayed in the pit - I'm 5'4 - I think it's worth it going a couple of hours earlier to make front row DEFINITELY!!!!!!!! Cos at least you have air coming at you from the front, water when you need it and security can see easier if you're getting into trouble... and you can put your elbows between you and the barrier to give more space.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    V VV V Posts: 5,191

I think you will be fine , that was only at Reading ! some 80 thousand ppl. no shows for 6 years only 2 festivals ! but Astoria was fine and Dublin a dream having our own tenc bit :D, i was 5th row and then 3rd row by jeff/mike had great fun.
    Marina made it through reading (she's tougher then me;) )

yes as she said i think the more u are by ed and a few back the crazyer the mosh pit but a lil to mike and further front is ok , though i would never change my 3rd then 2nd row dead infront of Ed for the world, its the best stop of the house, you get to see just how expressive he is when singing , amazing :D:D:D:D ~ go for your life XXXX
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    V V wrote:
    though i would never change my 3rd then 2nd row dead infront of Ed for the world, its

I'd never change my 1st row dead in front of Ed!
    V V wrote:
    you get to see just how expressive he is ...

Oohhhh yeeessssss! :D:D
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Oohhhh yeeessssss! :D:D

now now , I wasnt going to go there !!! hahahahaha
    but I knew you would get it ;) hahahahahaha

sorry dreaming **trys to behave** but I know YOu will Know what we mean when you have been right in front of Ev in Italy :D:D:D:D
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    sorry.... **hangs head in shame for second time in less than a minute**
  • Options
    JaymacJaymac Posts: 513
    There are only 300 10c tickets per show (150 pairs) so if you have 10c tickets and arrive as the box office opens, and then head to the queue, you should be guaranteed front row - unless it's like Dublin, which was a disaster!

I was there shortly after Buru at 11am :)
    23/08/2006 - Dublin; 29/08/2006 - Arnhem; 30/08/2006 - Antwerp; 18/06/2007 - London; 18/08/2009 - London<br>

Proud member of the European Touring Bus 2006!
  • Options
    dont listen to him :rolleyes: Dreamstar, i got there around 4pm got my wrist band , got my ticket and was close enough ;) hehe