Playing songs too fast

2»

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Songs are played waaaaaaaay too fast theses days.
    You cannot possibly blame Matt for this. Do you think if everyone else wanted to play it slower they wouldn't say "Hey Matt, slow it down a bit"?

The band wants to play them this way otherwise they wouldn't. I think they do it for two reasons...
    They've played the songs 1000x and they just want to get through it.
    They just want to get in as many songs as possible.

Neither is a good thing IMO.
  • rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 981
    kjw818 wrote:
    Why does the band play some songs so much faster than they used to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCmxkeeYks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hygggctNT8g
    Two words: Matt Cameron

Matt Cameron drummed on the 98 Yield tour. So if he is playing fast he was playing it slow at one point as well. Give Matt a break.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20 (Canceled)
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20 (Canceled)
    Indianapolis, IN - 9/10/23 (Canceled)
    Indianapolis, IN - 8/26/24
  • green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    kjw818 wrote:
    I also think that playing songs too fast really strains Ed's voice. I think that's a big reason why he doesn't sound nearly as good as he used to.

Eddie still sounds amazing.
    But I have noticed when the band plays songs fast, he has to struggle to get some air.
    Slow down, band. Give the guy a fighting chance. Breathing...it's pretty important for a singer.
    :fp:
  • KM78948KM78948 Posts: 107
    i always think this when listening to the boots....the two a lot of people mention, gtf and unthought known, especially. i really really enjoy the gtf's from the earlier days, like the one on LO2L. I don't think it's nearly as noticeable at the show, but can def tell from the boots. i disagree that it's matt too, as people have pointed out he did the entire 98 tour. Some of the early 2000 US tour stops still had the live version close to the tempo from the record (i like the greensboro or charlotte one a lot, can't remember which), but seems to have started to speed up at some point with that tour.

that said, i would love to be able to go this fall and see gtf live, sped up, slowed down, upside down, inside out, etc.
    '98 - washington, dc (tfc) & columbia, md
    '00 - columbia, md
    '03 - bristow, va & hershey, pa
    '06 - washington, dc
    '08 - washington, dc
    '09 - philadelphia, pa (halloween)
    '10 - bristow, va
    '13 - baltimore, md & charlottesville, va
    '15 - new york, ny (gcf)
  • TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 535
    Fast... slow... whatever! Tempo is just one of many musical changes the songs go through night by night, year by year. Sometimes a song will feel rushed and sometimes it will feel like it's dragging. It's what we sign up for as PJ fans. If you'd prefer, go see most any other band play their well rehearsed showcase of hits. Dig? :D
    Your light made us stars
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    I definitely agree they blow through some of their songs way too fast these days -- I think Ed is more responsible than Matt is...I think it's all that garbage underground punk rock that Ed loves so dearly ;)
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Rossum20 wrote:
    I definitely agree they blow through some of their songs way too fast these days -- I think Ed is more responsible than Matt is...I think it's all that garbage underground punk rock that Ed loves so dearly ;)

I like that they play them faster. More speed, more energy. Kinda like Allen Rossum. :D
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • mschostokmschostok Posts: 858
    Sorry to revive this 7 year old thread, but I was listening to some 98 shows earlier and the tempo of the songs was incredible. Given to Fly, Corduroy, and Even Flow sounded soooo much better slowed down. The painfully obvious sped up tempo is undoubtedly them flying through songs to get in as many as possible so they can play 32+ songs. In my opinion, I'd love for them to play 23-25 songs a night slowed down to their original tempo, like it was back in the day. This would make the songs sound better and probably prolong and preserve Ed's voice instead of having him sing 35 songs a night at breakneck speed without being able to breathe - I know he's an expert, but damn, playing the songs slower has got to help no? Just my opinion though. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    I normally dont mind if they are slightly faster in person.  But, to me, Alive and Jeremy need to be slowed down a bit....or rather...played at normal speed.  

DTE, Even Flow, sure play them faster.  But those 2 songs above need their original tempo back. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    Switch your membership level to Analog and things slow down. 
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 664
    mschostok said:
    Sorry to revive this 7 year old thread, but I was listening to some 98 shows earlier and the tempo of the songs was incredible. Given to Fly, Corduroy, and Even Flow sounded soooo much better slowed down. The painfully obvious sped up tempo is undoubtedly them flying through songs to get in as many as possible so they can play 32+ songs. In my opinion, I'd love for them to play 23-25 songs a night slowed down to their original tempo, like it was back in the day. This would make the songs sound better and probably prolong and preserve Ed's voice instead of having him sing 35 songs a night at breakneck speed without being able to breathe - I know he's an expert, but damn, playing the songs slower has got to help no? Just my opinion though. 
    This. Though relatively rarely played Light Years always seems too fast as well. 
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    I personally think all their songs sound better live and played a bit faster than the studio versions , maybe its all the punk / hardcore shows of my youth but I always think live versions should feed off the crowd and therefore be played faster.
  • drummer1drummer1 Posts: 314

kjw818 wrote:
    Why does the band play some songs so much faster than they used to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCmxkeeYks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hygggctNT8g
    Two words: Matt Cameron
    Haha, I came here to say Matt F-ing Cameron, too!! 
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.3.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.4.11