Fancy Pants Restaurants

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Hate them. Won't ever go. Not like it's an option anyway.

k
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    One of my greatest pleasures is sitting through a tasting menu paired with the proper wines, or enjoying omakase at a world class sushi bar.

Three hours at Per Se, Eleven Madison Park, 15 east or Sushi yasuda in NYC please!

I don't go out for steak unless its Luger's or the boss is paying.

For me, its go big or go home. Its the middle ground "fancy" places that always disappoint. Give me a diner or give me four star.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Get_Right wrote:
    One of my greatest pleasures is sitting through a tasting menu paired with the proper wines, or enjoying omakase at a world class sushi bar.

Three hours at Per Se, Eleven Madison Park, 15 east or Sushi yasuda in NYC please!

For me, its go big or go home. Its the middle ground "fancy" places that always disappoint. Give me a diner or give me four star.

Four Stars according to who? Professional chefs, Yelp, or Zagat?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I like quality food.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Always try to hit one really nice place when traveling on vacation.

Couple of my fav's from my travels.
    Charleston, SC
    http://peninsulagrill.com/restaurant.cfm

Portland, ME
    http://www.forestreet.biz/

Philly, PA
    http://www.jimssteaks.com/SouthStreet.html

not a big fan of the chains...been to Mortons a few times and was less than impressed. Looks like Harrah's in vegas when to ruth chris. back in the day, they had a steak place, forget the name, but it was one of the best steaks i've ever had. so fuckin good
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    81 wrote:

Charleston, SC

Chicago, IL
    http://www.medievaltimes.com/chicago.aspx
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:

Charleston, SC

Chicago, IL

781592d1363530457-ride-your-birthday-suit-birthday-thread-5f600f89_not-sure-if-serious.jpeg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Probably my favorite in Vancouver is Cin Cin. Italian, so incredibly good. http://cincin.net/
    Another is Q4 Ristorante. Also modern Italian. http://www.q4restaurant.com/ristorante/home

I don't care for steak houses. I can make a better steak at home for a fraction of the price.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:

Charleston, SC

Chicago, IL

781592d1363530457-ride-your-birthday-suit-birthday-thread-5f600f89_not-sure-if-serious.jpeg

Wasn't the sister dating a guy that was a performer at that place?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Get_Right wrote:

fancy
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

:think: i think they went out once....

but at the end of the day, could any woman really date a midevil times performer. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Good enough for a :lol: from me
    let's go get thrown out of the Applebees
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    let's go get thrown out of the Applebees

Alright
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    81 wrote:

but at the end of the day, could any woman really date a midevil times performer. :lol:
    That happened :fp:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:

That happened :fp:

hehe....fancy.....pants
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

Four Stars according to who? Professional chefs, Yelp, or Zagat?
    A general consensus.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    If you're paying more than $35 for any plate of food, you're just making some yanker absurdly rich for nothing.
    I was in one of these fancy pants places with my aunt and uncle once when I was about 16-17. They tried to get me to eat garlic snails or some shit... So I caved and said I'd try it. But i'll be damned if I'm not gonna smell it before I eat it. apparently that's bad manners. My aunt slapped me. I think the slap was worse manners than smelling the garlic snails. I'll likely never go back to these type places.

dare i say it!? ... :lol:

fancy restaurants are not necessarily defined by the taste of the food ... what you are paying for is essentially this (in order of where your money is going to):

1. Ingredients (usually places use top of the line ingredients)
    2. fixtures (marble counter tops, fancy lighting, interior design work, over-priced chairs)
    3. rent (these places are usually in high commercial real estate places and often have excessive square footage).
    4. staff (your food is cooked most likely by the executive chef or sous chef ... there aren't any $12/hr line cooks - although more and more these days there are).
    5. to be seen with other people who can't afford the place

i've eaten at all kinds of places at all kinds of price ranges ... i don't mind paying for ingredients and staff ... i took some relatives out last night at a northern thai place last night and they were basically ga ga over the food ... and they too have eaten at all levels of restaurants ...
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Get_Right wrote:

We should meet :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    polaris_x wrote:
    If you're paying more than $35 for any plate of food, you're just making some yanker absurdly rich for nothing.
    I was in one of these fancy pants places with my aunt and uncle once when I was about 16-17. They tried to get me to eat garlic snails or some shit... So I caved and said I'd try it. But i'll be damned if I'm not gonna smell it before I eat it. apparently that's bad manners. My aunt slapped me. I think the slap was worse manners than smelling the garlic snails. I'll likely never go back to these type places.

dare i say it!? ... :lol:

fancy restaurants are not necessarily defined by the taste of the food ... what you are paying for is essentially this (in order of where your money is going to):

1. Ingredients (usually places use top of the line ingredients)
    2. fixtures (marble counter tops, fancy lighting, interior design work, over-priced chairs)
    3. rent (these places are usually in high commercial real estate places and often have excessive square footage).
    4. staff (your food is cooked most likely by the executive chef or sous chef ... there aren't any $12/hr line cooks - although more and more these days there are).
    5. to be seen with other people who can't afford the place

i've eaten at all kinds of places at all kinds of price ranges ... i don't mind paying for ingredients and staff ... i took some relatives out last night at a northern thai place last night and they were basically ga ga over the food ... and they too have eaten at all levels of restaurants ...

:lol: yeah, I get that too.
    I've had 6-7 experiences at places where a plate is over $35, and I could care less how soft the cushion under my ass is, if the waiter has a bowtie, or if the water was hand filtered from an arctic glacier. :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    true story from my boss - she and her family were in Arkansas for her son's karate tournament. There was some kind of fish on the menu and her husband asked where the fish was from. The waitress in a thick Arkansas accent answered in all seriousness: "from the frigerator sir"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    true story from my boss - she and her family were in Arkansas for her son's karate tournament. There was some kind of fish on the menu and her husband asked where the fish was from. The waitress in a thick Arkansas accent answered in all seriousness: "from the frigerator sir"
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTz9yKoAxEGTiC5hOz3mMob6UrjfFVCtSmDnVjMknTqHTG9rgK5

Sweep the leg ...
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

:lol::lol:
    Im guessing it was sardine or catfish.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Fancy pants restaurants where they wheel out the food cart that has no $$$ signs...

bullshit

I head to the bar, ask for a menu, try a couple appetizers, drink some wine
    and make new friends for my 100$ ... being white trash can really be such fun ;)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Well, it's not fancy pants at all, but the deliciousness of the food is very fancy pants! The owners of The Tacofino Commissary, on Hastings Street in Vancouver, started with a food truck (which they still have). Went to their relatively new restaurant last night finally, after hearing people rave about the food, and whoooaaaaa it was so good!! Tiny and very packed, with several bench tables that you share with other guests (not all the tables are big enough to share). Super bare bones, i.e. the glassware is what you'd expect to get in some off the beaten path bar in a little town in Mexico. Super casual, no frills, except for some very interesting lighting on the ceiling. But the food... oh, the food. We shared the nachos, which were the best nachos I've ever eaten in my life by far, and I had the fish taco, which was the best fish taco I've ever eaten in my life. :) Can't wait to go back and try more of the menu. And the service was very good. Be ready to wait for a table. Not sure if they take reservations.

http://tacofinocommissary.com/?page_id=51
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Get_Right wrote:

We should meet :lol:
    I just saw this today.
    I think we also have the same first name. :lol::lol:
    Mr. RK's company likes to hold the holiday parties at fancy pants places.

I love being able to say, "Oh yeah, I've eaten at Canlis"...I mean, it's the truth, they cater the party, I eat the food...I just don't have to pay the bill. :P

But one day, I would love to go to a real fancy pants place to eat and be able to say if I like it or not...and also because, well, us girls like to get all fancied up sometimes.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    But one day, I would love to go to a real fancy pants place to eat and be able to say if I like it or not...and also because, well, us girls like to get all fancied up sometimes.

that steak place in MT was fancy.....by MT standards. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:
    "Oh yeah, I've eaten at Canlis"

just checked their website...

holy pompous batman

i like a good dinner at a nice place, but not those sort of places.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

that steak place in MT was fancy.....by MT standards. :lol:

:lol: kinda surprised they didn't ask if I wanted to check my gun at the door... :lol:
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    "Oh yeah, I've eaten at Canlis"

just checked their website...

holy pompous batman

i like a good dinner at a nice place, but not those sort of places.

:(

the thread title IS 'Fancy Pants'...you gotta wear your fancy pants (and coat) to dine there!

okay...back on the bucket list it goes...maybe someday I will get to go there. :|

- Christopher McCandless