Fancy Pants Restaurants

Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone ever been taken out to a nice fancy restaurant and when they bring out your $100+ entrée, all you can think to yourself is that you would trade it for an In-and-Out Burger in an instant?

:fp:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,799
    do they make you wear a tie in addition to the fancy pants?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    36235206.jpg
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    mickeyrat wrote:
    do they make you wear a tie in addition to the fancy pants?
    Yeah ... but it's a tie I knotted 15 years ago and keep reusing... suckers

:P
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    No :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,915
    I've come home from such restaurants and watched $100 turds swirl down the bowl. :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Yeah! And typically it's more about the fancy-pants ambience than the food.

(still, does a meal costing a hundred bucks taste THAT much better than one costing a half or a third of it?)

We're fans of the good-meal-delivered-home route. No annoying people around, no snootiness, no fancy-pants. Hell we can just do NO pants from home!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYunc2J7UAAh5QzVwmJuE9kK8_XctO0YAymGlvMxfss48A5QzQ

Anyone who wouldn't trade that for a slice of hand tossed pizza?
  • jasonjason Posts: 468
    As a person who frequents Burger King and Taco Bell, a fancy pants place I am not one to attend often. However, I have been to a few and besides the dress-up aspect of it. The place is usually dark and boring as its full of yuppies. Then you look at the prices - $50 for a side of corn??? I ordered a meal once with steak and potato. Not crazy pricy, but around $50 for the plate. Very good, but when I left I went to McDonald's as I was still VERY hungry. Would rather go to Applebee's or something. More bang for the buck!
    Once at a bar, my boss ordered a round of shots for the group ... $100 Scotch shots ... I offered the bartender to put it back in the bottle and we could split the $100 but he wouldn't do it :twisted:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I went to one (semi) fancy pants place, there was a show included as well, so I didn't feel like I was amongst snooty-ness.

I found out I don't know which fork is which. (but they did know how to cook salmon properly)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I went to one (semi) fancy pants place, there was a show included as well, so I didn't feel like I was amongst snooty-ness.

I found out I don't know which fork is which. (but they did know how to cook salmon properly)
    When I moved from the midwest to San Francisco ... my company catered a very nice meal for a party and I had to ask someone what the pink stuff was ... I'd never had / seen salmon before ... they thought I was joking

I wasn't :oops:
    Any chance the monocle ever makes a comeback?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzIwNit27kGk4D-xZGS3gDD3Hwa4dTF0eO54btu63JGPW4Lv_R
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I've been to Good ones and Bad ones, but when there Good, there FUCK GOOD!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Jason P wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

When I moved from the midwest to San Francisco ... my company catered a very nice meal for a party and I had to ask someone what the pink stuff was ... I'd never had / seen salmon before ... they thought I was joking

I wasn't :oops:

That's okay...went to a Social D show with VIP tix @ the Showbox, and the appetizers they had were 'higher end'...I had no idea what the brown stuff in the bowl was, it had a black jelly like stuff on top. Duck Liver Pate.

it was really good.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Sounds like I need to win the lottery so I can enjoy the higher end entrees, instead of my Happy Meal.

GUH!!!!
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Jason P wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYunc2J7UAAh5QzVwmJuE9kK8_XctO0YAymGlvMxfss48A5QzQ

Anyone who wouldn't trade that for a slice of hand tossed pizza?
    Gary Danko's?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    Jason P wrote:
    Anyone ever been taken out to a nice fancy restaurant and when they bring out your $100+ entrée, all you can think to yourself is that you would trade it for an In-and-Out Burger in an instant?

:fp:

Yes Ruth Chris Steakhouse. Most overpriced place I have ever been and the steak sucked I can run circles around them cooking steak. Waste of time and money will never ever go again next time I will fire up the grill and buy a good steak and make it my way.
    My butt itches!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Jason P wrote:
    Any chance the monocle ever makes a comeback?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzIwNit27kGk4D-xZGS3gDD3Hwa4dTF0eO54btu63JGPW4Lv_R
    Did it ever go out of style? They always make me wanna say " 'ello, guvnah!"
    main-mr-peanut.jpg
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,192
    I like Pace's steak house where i live reasonable prices and the food is outstanding they serve a chilled crab meat appetizer that is sick and their meats are tops ....you do have to dress nice not suit & tie but no shorts and T's ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I like good restaurants. But there's no way in hell I'm going to a chain restaurant and paying 150 plus for 2 people. F Ruth Chris
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I enjoy "fancy pants" restaurants but only once or twice a year. I generally don't eat out much....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I loooooove fancy restaurants.. ....when someone else is paying :lol:

Had dinner at the Anaheim White House once and topped it off with vintage Grand Marnier. Best dinner ever. Business dinner :)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    hedonist wrote:
    Hell we can just do NO pants from home!

Thank you
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    RKCNDY wrote:

That reminds me...

I have smoked alaskan salmon in the kitchen... thank ya
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I know the feeling. We've all had it, but I also know that feeling when you go out and you get a supurb meal and the dining experience makes you feel special.

I don't go out to the expensive places often but i really do enjoy them when i do. Sometimes i whiff on the resturant i try but for the most part i enjoy it.

My work gives out $50 gift cards to the resturant of your choice when you are the "employee of the quarter" I've gotten that a few times and that makes things a little easier to try some of these places.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    hedonist wrote:
    Yeah! And typically it's more about the fancy-pants ambience than the food.
    Yeah, I'm more talking about the ambience / presentation fancy pants restaurants ... I'm down with the old fashioned steak house fancy pants restaurants.

I hate it when I'm reading a menu and have never heard of 75% of the foods listed. :fp:
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    The most expensive dinner I ever had was not planned at all. A friend and I had flown from Philly to Boston on a Saturday morning to go to an afternoon Bruins game. It was snowing when we left Philly and by the time we got to Boston, the snow was really piling up.

Later that night, we were trying to find some place that was open to get something to eat. We found a restaurant in the directory that was open and was less than two blocks away from the hotel. It was ‘something Grille and Bar” so we figured it would be a nice casual place to eat and drink.

Apparently, there is a big difference between "Bar and Grille", and "Grille and Bar" :lol:

When we walked in there, the place was basically empty but we soon realized it was a much higher end restaurant that we anticipated. And of course, we weren’t really dressed for the place, but they let us stay anyway. I remember being mortified at how under dressed we were.

My friend had lobster (at market price, whatever it was that day) and I had filet mignon. We figured, what the hell, we’re here, we might as well go all in. We drank expensive wine, and the bill was outrageous but we had a great time.
    We knew we were way out of our league when the waiter came over and "combed" away the crumbs from the bread they served. :lol:
    This is not a fancy place, but I went to Vegas several years ago. My friend and I wanted to watch the Vikings game at the ESPN Zone at the New York hotel. We are used to a noon start, but being west coast time it was a 10 o’clock start. We got in line early to get a good seat and got seated around 8:30/9:00. They asked if we wanted anything to start and we were not super hungry.

We then saw a sign posted, $25 per person, per hour, no matter what!!! Being an hour early for the game, plus most games were 3 hours = 4.5 hours. I guess its so you don’t sit there all game long??? Anyway, 5 hours at $25 = $125 a person. I don’t think either one of us can eat or drink that much in that time frame. So we got water and when the waiter went to get it, we got the heck out of there.
    We got some bagels and beverages for about $6 and sat in some sports hall with every NFL game on for free with the Bears vs Vikings game the featured game with sound. The Vikings lost, but we saved $244!!!!
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    If you're paying more than $35 for any plate of food, you're just making some yanker absurdly rich for nothing.
    I was in one of these fancy pants places with my aunt and uncle once when I was about 16-17. They tried to get me to eat garlic snails or some shit... So I caved and said I'd try it. But i'll be damned if I'm not gonna smell it before I eat it. apparently that's bad manners. My aunt slapped me. I think the slap was worse manners than smelling the garlic snails. I'll likely never go back to these type places.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Hate them. Won't ever go. Not like it's an option anyway.