Questions re having kids in the USA

pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Are there any people here with a good understanding of the costs of having a baby in the states with and without insurance?

Im specifically enquiring about Florida.

IS there insurance available to people privately that isnt astronomical? is there any alternatives?

Is the cost the same for a single parent?

Is there any help or support available? grants or benefits?

Im a Uk citizen and have been astounded by the differences in our systems and the outrageous cost placed on people in the states to have a baby.

If there is no way around it, does it then pay not to work? I expect those who dont work will be looked after surely? otherwise how else do we hear of young mothers in the states whom are single parents with 4 kids....I dont believe they could have paid the $15,000 per child in birth costs....could they?

Guidance on this would be very gratefully received, why am i asking?, because im not only interested now Im alert to the differences but most importantly im researching this for a good friend.

(What Florida may lack in health care they more than make up for in sunshine ;) )
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
    Our health care system is broken. Politics aside, as I don't want to discuss any of that nonsense...

Send em over. I have had "company paid" insurance with the same employer for 23 years. I have a "family" deductible, each member has an individual deductible. I have caps on limits they will pay, I have a co-pay, I have doctors that are not accessible to me because of my plan. The 'premiums" I pay have gone up every year. Premiums are taken out of every paycheck. My employer is a major global corporation, and is basically self insured with Blue Cross acting as the administrator. Eyes not covered, neither are teeth-- those are separate entities... I am considered to be in the upper tier of insured... It is not FREE, it cost me quite a bit. I can tell you exactly if you want, but its not cheap. I paid for both of my kids with the benefits of my insurance.

On the other hand... I have family that have babies on the states' dole. State monies. Federal programs. They get to keep thier babies AND thier money. If they dont have money, thats okay... We pick up the tab, somehow... The state funded relatives have better access to healthcare than I do. Plain and simple in our case. Come enjoy some sun, and make some babies.

It will be okay.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    And before you make the babies here, make sure that your wife's insurance covers maternity ... The health care in the US makes me angry and paranoid. In Germany, I would just go to a doctor and get a treatment if there was something wrong with me. Over here, I have to fear that I might be broke if something broke. Also, bear in mind, if your are coming as an immigrant, you might not be eligible for state benefits. Your baby might be though, if one parent is American.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    And before you make the babies here, make sure that your wife's insurance covers maternity ... The health care in the US makes me angry and paranoid. In Germany, I would just go to a doctor and get a treatment if there was something wrong with me. Over here, I have to fear that I might be broke if something broke. Also, bear in mind, if your are coming as an immigrant, you might not be eligible for state benefits. Your baby might be though, if one parent is American.

My friend is a USA citizen

As much as I'd love to live in the states I hsve two children here in the uk with a phenomenal health care service which everyone has access to whether rich or poor.

Let me be clear - I'm having no more kids. 2 is perfect.

I'm enquiring for my Floridian pal who is somewhat disillusioned with the American system. He works damn hard and can't afford a child ? Wtf? There must be a way
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    pdalowsky wrote:

My friend is a USA citizen

As much as I'd love to live in the states I hsve two children here in the uk with a phenomenal health care service which everyone has access to whether rich or poor.

Let me be clear - I'm having no more kids. 2 is perfect.

I'm enquiring for my Floridian pal who is somewhat disillusioned with the American system. He works damn hard and can't afford a child ? Wtf? There must be a way

that is the issue right there. Men don't get as many benefits as women do. WIC is a very popular program...it stands for Women Infants and Children. Men make more money (salary wise) than women do in the States, so apparently they don't need to rely on state/federal benefits. Also, it is fairly uncommon for the father to be the caregiver/guardian. Is the mother in the child's life?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    His wife works too

And there is no baby - through the worry of the financial hit and not having the resources to do so.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    pdalowsky wrote:
    His wife works too

And there is no baby - through the worry of the financial hit and not having the resources to do so.
    They can just sell them to me.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    pdalowsky wrote:
    His wife works too

If you're buying i'll go home and make one tonight
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    pdalowsky wrote:
    His wife works too

:lol:
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    pdalowsky wrote:
    His wife works too

:lol::lol: :fp:
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

:lol::lol: :fp:[/quote]

He's a Great Dad! His kids have seen P.J. more than i Have!