Options

Retaeh Parsons

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Jeawah wrote:
    You lost me on the bolded part. ? What are some adults doing?

I meant to say "something EVEN some adults have a hard time practicing".

Oh yeah, adult bullies in the work place are everywhere. But as adults, we seemingly deal with these insecure bullies quite differently than we do as teens. They're annoying as he'll, but we're mature enough to know that an office bully doesn't equate to being dramatic enough to ending our lives over it.

no, we don't, but my point was that even as adults it can be incredibly stressful and distressing, so being a teen you would have to multiply that by 100. for a while I dreaded going to work, was even close to tears in my cube a few times. finally the inept management where I work actually stepped in and did something about it, so for now it's ok.

I just don't think it's anyone's place to judge this girl for the choice she made. she obviously felt that her life was at a point of no return. it's incredibly sad, but it's not unusual. I've known quite a few people who have done this, and it never gets easier. you wish they could have seen the world as a better place and would still be with us, but they didn't feel that way. a guy I went to school with did himself in by TRAIN a couple years back. he laid down on the fucking railroad tracks-how awful is that, not just for him and his family, but to put the engineer in that position of being traumatized for life over it-that's how irrational these people are thinking at the time they do this.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    Jeanwah wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    Teen suicide has been a problem for a long time. In this world, in our society, with us lacking proper initiation rituals, it is very difficult being a teen. But now, so much more so with increased violence, rape and bullying. I went through my teens in the 60's and teen suicide was a concern then but there was far less violence. Gang rape was extremely rare. The world is becoming more violent. A shit storm of trouble is brewing. It's ancient Rome all over again. Maybe worse. What a sad state of affairs.

Granted, there is no news but bad news. But I am not a cynical person, much unlike the majority on AMT. It's our outlook on life that dictates our life. Take that from someone who lived in a wheelchair with severely broken femurs and a dead right hand for a year. Yes, it is a more violent world, that's a fact. But dropping ourselves in a sweeping bucket of cynicism and killing ourselves is certainly not the answer. Rising above, overcoming, and making it through the difficult teen years is the answer if one insists on not living in a depressed society, NOT withering within ourselves in a heap of despair and suicide. That's not a way to live. Sorry.

I get what your say, Jeanwah. My outlook is usually pretty good but some days more than others I need reminders like yours here. Too much news will taint ones outlook.

But my weekend just started so there is absolutely no need for adjusting of my screen right now. :)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    It's our outlook on life that dictates our life.

I get what your say, Jeanwah. My outlook is usually pretty good but some days more than others I need reminders like yours here. Too much news will taint ones outlook.

But my weekend just started so there is absolutely no need for adjusting of my screen right now. :)
    I'm with you both on your points, and yes, that reminder is necessary (and brought a smile).

HFD, I'm glad the work situation has eased up. I think I've become spoiled by having worked with people who just...get it. No mindfucks or games.

(although one woman who used to work under me claimed to management - several times - that I was the devil. Fun times)

*edit - guess I should clarify on the bolded part, that I think our outlook dictates how we handle our life.
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    here's another one
    so far these guys are looking at sexual battery but no charges so far

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... icide?lite

Three boys accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old California girl who took her own life after pictures of the attack were posted online are due in court this week, as authorities ramp up their investigation into the latest case involving rape and cyber bullying.
    NBC Bay Area reported that three 16-year-olds from Saratoga, a town about 30,000 that is 13 miles west of San Jose, were arrested last week in connection with the September, 2012, sexual assault of Audrie Pott.
    Pott, 15, hanged herself eight days after the alleged assault, apparently despondent after photos of the attack were posted online and shared amongst classmates at Saratoga High School.

"We're talking about, other than murdering someone, the highest degree of a crime you could possibly do, which is to violate them in the worst of ways ... and then to effectively rub her face in it afterwards," Robert Allard, the attorney representing the girl's mother, father and step-mother, told the Associated Press on Friday.
    Allard said Pott was intoxicated and unconscious when the assault occurred, and that "there were multiple boys in the room with her."
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this new law in NS is pretty aggressive ... you can actually sue parents of kids who cyber-bully ... lots of grey area ...
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The 1 law that must change in Canada is this bullshit that the media can not identify these offenders if they are under 18. I can understand not identifying them until they are convicted, but once they are convicted or plea they should be identified.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    this new law in NS is pretty aggressive ... you can actually sue parents of kids who cyber-bully ... lots of grey area ...

Just to pick at one specific point. If you as a parent have not taught your son (in this case) that knocking out a chick with booze, and whatever else, having your way with her, videoing, taking pictures and sending them all over the world via the internet IS WRONG. Well you deserve what is coming down the turn pike.

and please no "boys will be boys" excuses.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    The authorities are concerned for vigilantism.

This case bugs the hell out of me. We need to treat our women better and to be frank, as much as some might hate what I am about to say, perhaps a few severe beatings might make some young males watch their conduct a little more closely.

"Hey, everybody makes mistakes" type justice has no effect at all. People are great at being sorry- so much so that being sorry is cheap nowadays. It's getting tough to tell who truly is sorry for their acts and who's saying it to get out of responsibility for their acts.

Raping and tormenting a young woman to the point where she takes her life? Yeah... you need a beating.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The 1 law that must change in Canada is this bullshit that the media can not identify these offenders if they are under 18. I can understand not identifying them until they are convicted, but once they are convicted or plea they should be identified.

That is the 2nd law that must change. The first is the young offenders act.

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Just to pick at one specific point. If you as a parent have not taught your son (in this case) that knocking out a chick with booze, and whatever else, having your way with her, videoing, taking pictures and sending them all over the world via the internet IS WRONG. Well you deserve what is coming down the turn pike.

and please no "boys will be boys" excuses.

but anytime you legislate for litigation ... it opens up opportunists ... if jimmy laughs at someone who posts something about another kid ... is jimmy complicit in cyberbullying? ... are the parents responsible ...

you can have the best parents in the world and kids can still end up doing stupid stuff that they only regret later on ... no one's perfect ... and there are so many influences ... for kids these days ... fitting in is so important - it's why bullying now has such a dramatic effect ...