Never Name Your Kid...

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Jack Hoffman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Jmisv1Spck

great moment for a kid with cancer but his parents are ass holes for calling him jack (hoffman)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I work with a guy named Jon Holmes.

:fp:
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Jason P wrote:
    I work with a guy named Jon Holmes.

:fp:

:lol:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Also, don't try to make a common name unique by spelling it differently. You are cursing your child to have re-spell their name to people hundreds of thousands of times over their lifetime.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    Mike Hunt

someone had to do it :lol:
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    York Hawk.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    My dad grew up with a guy named Jack Coffin. Really.

I know a woman named Brandy Alexander. Really? Were her parents on crack?
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I used to work with a guy named Richard (Dick) Biter. Obviously, he went by Richard. :lol:
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    My Urologists name is Dr. Licht. True story.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited April 2013
    In Germany, there is a development that sociologists named "chantalism" or "kevinism". Lots of people of certain social areas give their kids English or foreign sounding names, which can sound weird in combo with your average German last name. The name then seems to tend to have a negative impact on the kid's life, future etc because it is regarded as a social class marker.

Here's more about it if you are interested:
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2012/02/01/does-a-lame-name-make-you-more-likely-to-be-a-smoker-with-low-self-esteem/#.UWRQvzct6hg
    Furthermore, add a dialect into the mix and teachers who are not familiar with English, and you end up being called Shandalla, Shastin, Gehvin, Ensheleena etc ... I pity the kids.

Former gdr might play in there a bit too. I remember lots of kids named Silvio, Mandy, Mike / Maik, Jeannette / Janet/ Janette, Jennifer, Mario etc ... People were not allowed to travel where they wanted, so they "traveled" with their minds, and tended to give their children exotic names, more than the people in Western Germany.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on

Mine is Dr. Kranc

:?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    In Germany, there is a development that sociologists named "chantalism" or "kevinism". Lots of people of certain social areas give their kids English or foreign sounding names, which can sound weird in combo with your average German last name. The name then seems to tend to have a negative impact on the kid's life, future etc because it is regarded as a social class marker.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2012/02/01/does-a-lame-name-make-you-more-likely-to-be-a-smoker-with-low-self-esteem/#.UWRQvzct6hg
    Furthermore, add a dialect into the mix and teachers who are not familiar with English, and you end up being called Shandalla, Shastin, Gehvin, Ensheleena etc ... I pity the kids.

Does thrilla know about this?!?!?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    voidofman wrote:

Mine is Dr. Kranc

:lol: They should open an office together. Licht/Kranc, urology associates..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    RKCNDY wrote:

Does thrilla know about this?!?!?

:lol: I guess not...
    voidofman wrote:

Mine is Dr. Kranc

What makes it even more ironic is that he grabbed my foreskin and pulled on it, playing with the elasticity. (I don't think he has come across many of them.) He asked, "does that hurt?" I said no. He then said, "cool."
    voidofman wrote:
    voidofman wrote:
    Mine is Dr. Kranc

What makes it even more ironic is that he grabbed my foreskin and pulled on it, playing with the elasticity. (I don't think he has come across many of them.) He asked, "does that hurt?" I said no. He then said, "cool."

:wtf: :shock: :shock: :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Richard (Dick) Peck <
    that was a teacher of mine. On my schedule, it was printed "MR PECK R"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    voidofman wrote:

I think i'd be finding a new doctor. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    81 wrote:
    voidofman wrote:

I don't know what to say
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i met someone once and his last name was Cockburn.. true story
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    In one of my many jobs We had a consultant by the name
    of Richard Hertz and yes, he went by Dick.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    81 wrote:
    voidofman wrote:

It was a one time visit because of a cock ring related accident. Guys, if you wear a metal ring, make sure you take it off before you finish...
    :lol: :fp:
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    voidofman wrote:
    81 wrote:
    voidofman wrote:

It was a one time visit because of a cock ring related accident. Guys, if you wear a metal ring, make sure you take it off before you finish...
    :lol: :fp:

OUCH that sounds very painfull
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    should we all post our urology stories?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'm not sure there is a smilie here that can possible portray my reaction to reading that.

so i'm just going to leave this thread and pretend i didn't see it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Posts: 3,365
    One of the authors for one of the products my company does is named Dick Woodcock and the co-author's last name is Johnson....Dick Woodcock-Johnson. yep. :fp: :lol:
    I lost a bet...
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    One of the authors for one of the products my company does is named Dick Woodcock and the co-author's last name is Johnson....Dick Woodcock-Johnson. yep. :fp: :lol:
    :lol::lol:
  • 81 wrote:
    i'm not sure there is a smilie here that can possible portray my reaction to reading that.

so i'm just going to leave this thread and pretend i didn't see it.

+1
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    mikelitoris.jpg
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    edited April 2013
    in my hometown in VA there's a Dr Harry C Beaver...yes as a matter of fact he was an OB/Gyn

he delivered babies and practiced out of the same hospital where my kids and i were born... both of my sisters know him since they had at different times worked (one an lpn and the other a secretary) in the newborn nursery

always wondered tho...did he choose the profession because of his name? or did he change his name to reflect his profession? :lol:

yes Virginia, he does exist...

http://dererumnatura.us/archives/2006/1 ... er-ob.html scroll down to the comments

http://www.wellness.com/dir/2471590/obg ... -beaver-md

Post edited by prism on
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    http://www.linkedin.com/pub/michael-dic ... /6/748/106

I did purchase a mattress from him when he worked at Sleep Country...glad to see he likes to work in the bedding industry given his name. (I have his biz card somewhere-had to keep it it was so funny)

- Christopher McCandless