Options

Morning After Pill

mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
edited April 2013 in A Moving Train
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04 ... women-all/

A federal judge has reportedly ruled that the morning after abortion pill must be made available over the counter for women of all ages.
The decision on the controversial subject comes after very lengthy legal battles over who should have access to the pill and at what age.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... -pill?lite

A federal judge on Friday ordered the Food and Drug Administration to make the "morning-after" emergency contraception pill available without a prescription to all girls of reproductive age.
The ruling by U.S. District Judge Edward Korman in Brooklyn, New York, comes in a lawsuit brought by reproductive-rights groups that had sought to remove age and other restrictions on emergency contraception.
Currently, only women age 17 or older can obtain emergency contraception pills without a prescription. Point-of-sale restrictions require that all women present identification to a pharmacist before obtaining the drug.
In his ruling, Korman said the FDA's rejection of requests to remove age restrictions to obtain the pill had been "arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable."
Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights, hailed the ruling. "Women all over the country will no longer face arbitrary delays and barriers just to get emergency contraception," she said.

I think the bolded sections above pretty much sums up the frustration people have with Fox News. Other than the obvious, the little choices of mischaracterization in their articles is annoying at best. It isn't an abortion pill. It doesn't work if you are already pregnant when you take it.

It is mind blowing when you look at how manipulative the "media" can be, and this is an example of how it isn't always in your face obvious. For those who don't know much about Plan B they may think it actually is an abortion pill and then of course they have to be against it. If you are against this being available you should probably be against condoms, birth control, and ever other thing people do to not get pregnant.
that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
- Joe Rogan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Just me I don't think a 13 year old is a woman. Silly me.
    Good parents parent and should be allowed the chance to do so. This is how children learn.
    When I was in trouble, granted 40 years ago, I had to go to my parents for help.
    I learned from that. Our bond grew stronger.
    This many years later what I remember the most from that time, is them.

Yes I know even today some parents wouldn't handle it as compassionately
    or with as much understanding but there is consequence to actions
    and a parent has the right to know if their child is sleeping around
    so they can guide them.
    For me the morning after pill is for adult women who make their own decisions
    and should be used only when contraception fails. But then I'm a bit old school aren't I?
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    pandora wrote:
    Just me I don't think a 13 year old is a woman. Silly me.
    Good parents parent and should be allowed the chance to do so. This is how children learn.
    When I was in trouble, granted 40 years ago, I had to go to my parents for help.
    I learned from that. Our bond grew stronger.
    This many years later what I remember the most from that time, is them.

Yes I know even today some parents wouldn't handle it as compassionately
    or with as much understanding but there is consequence to actions
    and a parent has the right to know if their child is sleeping around
    so they can guide them.
    For me the morning after pill is for adult women who make their own decisions
    and should be used only when contraception fails. But then I'm a bit old school aren't I?

I agree to a point. The only problem I have is that some will NOT go to their parental units, then you have
    a 13 year old child having a child. Yea!!! Just what the world needs, another kid having a kid.
    Let her have the pill, no harm no foul. If the parents are doing their job, they will know the child is having sex anyway. At least they should. If they kids paretns don't know they are fucking, that's on them.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    TheShaferTheShafer Posts: 81
    IMO, a 13 yo kid has no business having sex in the first place. But I'm conservative, and am well aware that I am the minority on this forum.

It blows my mind that people will have consentual sex and not take on the responsibility for their actions. But again, what do I know... I'm just a baptist conservative republican from Texas

Oh, and yes, i also watch Fox News. Megyn Kelly is a hottie! :shock:
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    the wolf wrote:
    I agree to a point. The only problem I have is that some will NOT go to their parental units, then you have
    a 13 year old child having a child. Yea!!! Just what the world needs, another kid having a kid.
    Let her have the pill, no harm no foul. If the parents are doing their job, they will know the child is having sex anyway. At least they should. If they kids paretns don't know they are fucking, that's on them.
    I agree with YOU to a point! ...except for the part of parents doing their job will know their 13-yr-old is having sex. I don't think knowledge of that is tantamount to (good) parenting.

13! Too damn young to get into it beyond the usual messing around stuff.

(or IS that the norm now? I don't know)

TheShafer - I don't think your opinion (which I do agree with) has anything to do with being conservative or not...just about common sense, at least from here.

And mikepegg...the point of your initial post is not lost on me. EVERYTHING is spun, unfortunately.
  • Options
    I guess we could keep lowering our standards on parenting.
    Or do people just do what is expected of them without consequence ...
    I am directing this at our adults.
    Why can't we expect parents to parent?
    Why can't we educate and encourage? Hell why can't we demand?
    Why shouldn't a 11, 12, 13 year old child have to go to their parents?
    It is their parents after all, this their child.
    Why are we treating children like adults? They are not, no where near,
    it is a big mistake to think they are.
    And why the hell would we pass a law to make them so.
  • Options
    I like the no spin zone ;)
  • Options
    TheShaferTheShafer Posts: 81
    pandora wrote:
    Nicely said.
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends....
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,935
    When I used to work as a Pharmacy Tech it was disturbing to see the young ages at which girls would come in with scripts for this. Some doctors would actually right the script with refills. I hope this doesn't become the accepted form of birth control amongst kids.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    pandora wrote:

The best parenting in the world doesn't stop kids from having sex, doing drugs, drinking and driving and any of the things we teach our kids not to do or to be responsible about. That being said, I don't think a 13 year old girl should be able to walk in a drug store and buy this. However, I do think it should be available to young girls through planned parenthood or a similar program.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

The best parenting in the world doesn't stop kids from having sex, doing drugs, drinking and driving and any of the things we teach our kids not to do or to be responsible about. That being said, I don't think a 13 year old girl should be able to walk in a drug store and buy this. However, I do think it should be available to young girls through planned parenthood or a similar program.
    Therefore you are supporting making children into adults and removing parents from
    their children's decisions. We see how well this is working in our society.
    Planned Parenthood helped me out over 40 years ago but so did my parents.
    I'm not in favor of removing that responsibility from parents.

The best parents and there are many, parent by role model from day one.
    And no that's not what I did.
  • Options
    Wasn't really meant to be a discussion on the MAP. Just the fact that they blatantly called it an Abortion pill, which it isn't. The subtle nature in which they mis-characterize their information is the most dangerous thing Fox does. Most people would take abortion pill at face value and automatically are against it. It is like being against birth control or condoms.

But as to the turn the discussion took, there is no reason why a stranger at a pharmacy should be required to notify anyone's parents when selling a pill. Arbitrary rules have no place in gov't regulation.
    this isn't about abortion or anything like it. You can have all the social conversations about who should be having sex all you want, but the reality is kids have sex and anyone who CAN get pregnant and doesn't want to should be able to have all the options available to them for contraception. No one is saying give it away for free, but barrier free access should be the goal. The more barriers, the worse the actions that could be taken become.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

Therefore you are supporting making children into adults and removing parents from
    their children's decisions. We see how well this is working in our society.
    Planned Parenthood helped me out over 40 years ago but so did my parents.
    I'm not in favor of removing that responsibility from parents.

The best parents and there are many, parent by role model from day one.
    And no that's not what I did.

it is available to anyone who wants it at my clinic no matter what. We don't take any responsibility away from the parents and we don't make children into an adult. We give kids access to emergency contraception, not an abortion pill. We educate them on safer sex, something some parents won't do. We will also put anyone over the age of 13 on Birth control who needs it and don't have to tell their parents that either. Last time I checked Minnesota parents aren't any more or less responsible for their children than anywhere that doesn't have it available.
    My parents never needed to know everything I ever did, and you won't know that about your children. I would just hope that if I am not the one they turn to for help, they are able to turn somewhere and get what they need.
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,935
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    Wasn't really meant to be a discussion on the MAP. Just the fact that they blatantly called it an Abortion pill, which it isn't. The subtle nature in which they mis-characterize their information is the most dangerous thing Fox does. Most people would take abortion pill at face value and automatically are against it. It is like being against birth control or condoms.

Agreed. No one would call a condom a "during intercourse abortion apparatus."

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    TheShafer wrote:
    IMO, a 13 yo kid has no business having sex in the first place. But I'm conservative, and am well aware that I am the minority on this forum.

It blows my mind that people will have consentual sex and not take on the responsibility for their actions. But again, what do I know... I'm just a baptist conservative republican from Texas

Yes... only conservatives think that 13 year olds shouldn't have sex or people should take responsibility for thier actions. That must explain why red states have higher teen pregnancy rates than blue states.
    :roll:
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    can this be taken to the supreme court? ... if so, i suspect it will be overturned ...
  • Options
    Actually having a pill like this available for an 11 year old maybe even a 10 year old ...
    how about a 9 year old? is taking responsibility away from parents. It is taking the opportunity
    for discussion, bonding, the learning and experiencing process of both parent and child together
    away and allowing a 9 year old to make their own choices about sex :wtf: without consequence.

Do we think a girl that age will make the right decision to protect herself from a boy,
    to not have sex? Do we think she is immature and impressionable and may easily fall
    victim and lose virginity at an age that a little girl should not even have to consider?
    Do we think peer pressure and availability without any consequence will at all encourage
    little girls to make bad decisions? Do we think parents should not have the sole responsibility
    to protect their daughters at such a tender age? I mean really this is ridiculous to me.
    Because a little girl is physically able to get pregnant we should give them a pill to
    eliminate a pregnancy. What kind of message does this send to both girls and boys?

That judge, coward, approached it as though it was an aspirin ...
    no more dangerous than a fuckin aspirin.
    I see how much insight this judge has from that alone.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    My wife (adolescent medicine doctor) was interviewed on this topic for the local 4pm news! She will tell it like it is! I will post a link if I fond it.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    You take a bunch of kids ages 14-19 who are hitting their sexual prime and stick them in the same building day after day ... maybe we should we re-think that plan ...

:think:

Until then, that pill should be in vending machine in the cafeteria. :geek:
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Actually having a pill like this available for an 11 year old maybe even a 10 year old ...
    how about a 9 year old? is taking responsibility away from parents. It is taking the opportunity
    for discussion, bonding, the learning and experiencing process of both parent and child together
    away and allowing a 9 year old to make their own choices about sex :wtf: without consequence.

Do we think a girl that age will make the right decision to protect herself from a boy,
    to not have sex? Do we think she is immature and impressionable and may easily fall
    victim and lose virginity at an age that a little girl should not even have to consider?
    Do we think peer pressure and availability without any consequence will at all encourage
    little girls to make bad decisions? Do we think parents should not have the sole responsibility
    to protect their daughters at such a tender age? I mean really this is ridiculous to me.
    Because a little girl is physically able to get pregnant we should give them a pill to
    eliminate a pregnancy
    . What kind of message does this send to both girls and boys?

It takes none of those opportunities away from a parent. If we are going to take this to the extremes, what happens when a girl needs to get the pill, talks to her parents and gets the shit beat out of her? what then? There are two sides to the coin. Should we not allow a young girl to buy condoms without a prescription?

Can you explain the dangers the pill poses?
    http://www.morningafterinfo.org/facts/mythsfacts.php

from the link -
    in fact, major medical associations, such as the Society for Adolescent Medicine and American Academy of Pediatrics, support easier access to emergency birth control pills because they are entirely safe for teenage and adult women. Emergency birth control pills are safer than aspirin.

I have said it twice. IT DOES NOT ELIMINATE A PREGNANCY. It works like a suped up version of a normal BC pill. It will not affect an egg that is already fertilized.

Little girls have been making bad decisions for a lot longer than you or I have been alive, and a lot longer than ECP, BC, or Movies theaters have been around. How about giving them an ability to minimize the effects of those bad decisions in a pragmatic way. The idea that people will be taking them like skittles is silly, and the idea that it somehow will affect the decision making process of a horny adolescent is far fetched at best. Kids make mistakes, why possibly compound them?
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

eliminate a pregnancy. What kind of message does this send to both girls and boys?

you are approaching this as if this is still the stone age. "protect herself from a boy" and "fall victim and lose virginity". For real? I'm 38, and 25 years ago I knew just as many sexually agressive girls as I did boys. they are not victims in consensual sex. it's not a lion and a deer. it's a lion and a lion.

what if a pre teen or early teenage girl is raped? Do you suggest that decision should also be solely on the parents, and that you are requiring girls to tell their parents about it?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

but I thought you didn't judge?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

eliminate a pregnancy
    . What kind of message does this send to both girls and boys?

It takes none of those opportunities away from a parent. If we are going to take this to the extremes, what happens when a girl needs to get the pill, talks to her parents and gets the shit beat out of her? what then? There are two sides to the coin. Should we not allow a young girl to buy condoms without a prescription?

Can you explain the dangers the pill poses?
    http://www.morningafterinfo.org/facts/mythsfacts.php

from the link -
    in fact, major medical associations, such as the Society for Adolescent Medicine and American Academy of Pediatrics, support easier access to emergency birth control pills because they are entirely safe for teenage and adult women. Emergency birth control pills are safer than aspirin.

I have said it twice. IT DOES NOT ELIMINATE A PREGNANCY. It works like a suped up version of a normal BC pill. It will not affect an egg that is already fertilized.

Little girls have been making bad decisions for a lot longer than you or I have been alive, and a lot longer than ECP, BC, or Movies theaters have been around. How about giving them an ability to minimize the effects of those bad decisions in a pragmatic way. The idea that people will be taking them like skittles is silly, and the idea that it somehow will affect the decision making process of a horny adolescent is far fetched at best. Kids make mistakes, why possibly compound them?
    So you are ok with a 9 year old having this pill?
    How about giving them a pill that encourages a 9 year old to have sex cause that is exactly
    what you are doing. The 14 year old boy having sex with the 9 year old virgin won't even need a condom.
    Bravo! society you have reached an all time low!
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Jason P wrote:
    You take a bunch of kids ages 14-19 who are hitting their sexual prime and stick them in the same building day after day ... maybe we should we re-think that plan ...

:clap::clap:
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

how about 9 to 13 year olds ... elementary school middle school....
    freaky shit.

The prime thing is a myth I believe ... what is prime again anyway?
    Is that technique? is that stamina? desire? all of the above.
    Very individual.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Jason P wrote:

:clap::clap:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    Great glad this is available to all women ......................
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Great glad this is available to all women ......................

:thumbup:
  • Options
    About 15% of American girls now begin puberty by age 7, according to a study of 1,239 girls published last year in Pediatrics. One in 10 white girls begin developing breasts by that age — twice the rate seen in a 1997 study. Among black girls, such as Laila, 23% hit puberty by age 7.
    "Over the last 30 years, we've shortened the childhood of girls by about a year and a half," says Sandra Steingraber, author of a 2007 report on early puberty for the Breast Cancer Fund, an advocacy group. "That's not good."
    Girls are being catapulted into adolescence long before their brains are ready for the change — a phenomenon that poses serious risks to their health, says Marcia Herman-Giddens, an adjunct professor at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/hea ... 45989054/1

good thing they got a pill so they can have sex at age 7 ...
    they can use their allowance on that instead of bubble gum...
    unbeknownst to their parents of course :wtf: :fp:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    pandora wrote:
    About 15% of American girls now begin puberty by age 7, according to a study of 1,239 girls published last year in Pediatrics. One in 10 white girls begin developing breasts by that age — twice the rate seen in a 1997 study. Among black girls, such as Laila, 23% hit puberty by age 7.
    "Over the last 30 years, we've shortened the childhood of girls by about a year and a half," says Sandra Steingraber, author of a 2007 report on early puberty for the Breast Cancer Fund, an advocacy group. "That's not good."
    Girls are being catapulted into adolescence long before their brains are ready for the change — a phenomenon that poses serious risks to their health, says Marcia Herman-Giddens, an adjunct professor at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.

Let me give you a few of these :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: and one of these :roll:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

Let me give you a few of these :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: and one of these :roll:
    Any age Jose any age :nono: say its not so Jose