Boston/Maine travel tips

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Thread EDIT: Planning on heading up to Maine/New Hampshire this June via Boston. We are either going to fly into Boston for a day or two and take a train up to Portland, or fly into Portland and end the trip in Beantown. We are going to rent a car while in Maine so we're completely flexible. Can any locals or other peeps who have been there shed some light on some cool places to visit? Not opposed to driving over to New Hampshire either. Will probably spend a good 4-5 days there. Thanks
Thanks for all the advice already!!!
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Portland ME blows. it's good for about one day...two max. Freeport is just north of portland....if you like shopping, they have a ton of shops....but over rated and full of family's with kids in tow... it blows. they do have some good restraunts tho.

these places were both excellent

in portland
    http://www.forestreet.biz/

in freeport
    http://www.azurecafe.com/

we drove back thru NH. lot of nice places around the white mountain national forest.

we checked out a couple of lighthouses, and those were cool.

Salem, MA is between Portland and Boston...very touristy.

i also suggest, if the woman takes a mid afternoon nap, don't go to the hotel bar and drink a martini's all afternoon
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    You can't get there from here.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    speaking of new yorkers.....

don't drive North to portland on a friday or south to boston on a sunday....you've been warned.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    if i might suggest, Ri Ra Irish Pub & Restaurantmore info‎
    72 Commercial Street
    Portland, ME 04101
    (207) 761-4446

This is a Seafood town, no doubt, but if you want a Great Burger:
    Rí Rá Burger
    cracked pepper, grilled Irish rasher, melted swiss,
    crispy onion rings $10.95
    Seriously, though: Bar Harbor. It's a long drive but well worth it. My favorite place on Earth.

Then, Baxter State Park: Another long drive and my second-favorite place on Earth.

Since I don't imagine you're packing a tent and camping gear, however, go with Bar Harbor. You can stay in the village, and after an awesome breakfast at either Cafe This Way or Jordan's, you can check out Acadia by day and then down a few well-earned Bar Harbor Real Ales and lobster rolls at Fish House or Thirsty Whale at night.

Cadillac Motor Inn is reasonably priced and does what it should do -- namely, provide a place for you to rest.

Agree with 81 (scary): Forget Portland -- and Freeport for that matter.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • CS6127CS6127 Posts: 33
    I took a 3-day road trip last June through VT, NH, ME. IMO:

1) Portland has a couple of good old cobblestone streets near the harbor, where you can walk for an hour or two on a nice day and shop, get something to eat, grab a beer, etc. Maine Mead Works on Washington is a must-visit if you like mead (honey-wine); free tastings, nice people and good drinks. Allagash Brewery has some of the best beer in the country IMO; def. stop there. Fort Williams Park in S. Portland has a cool lighthouse.
    Wouldn't waste any more time in Portland than that tho. Not anywhere as cool or as big as Portland, OR outside of the places I mentioned.
    2) Spend at least a day (or 2 if you can) in Acadia. On a nice day it's the nicest place in New England. Cadillac Mountain is my favorite place on the east coast next to NYC; Bar Harbor is a tourist trap, not my opinion of fun.
    3) It's probably going to rain quite a bit for at least 50% of the time you're there, so be prepared.
    4) If you have extra time, Grafton Notch State Park near the ME-NH border has some cool sights, hiking trails and waterfalls.

Good luck!
  • CS6127CS6127 Posts: 33
    if i might suggest, Ri Ra Irish Pub & Restaurantmore info‎
    72 Commercial Street
    Portland, ME 04101
    (207) 761-4446

This is a Seafood town, no doubt, but if you want a Great Burger:
    Rí Rá Burger
    cracked pepper, grilled Irish rasher, melted swiss,
    crispy onion rings $10.95

I second this place; stopped in during a rainstorm and found good food and a good atmosphere.
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    It's about 5 hours from Boston but Acadia is phenomenal.

http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    I’ll gladly give you a few thoughts since I have lived here for many years. One of the cool things about Portland is it’s an incredible food/drinking town. You almost can’t go wrong dropping into any place and finding good folks and food and discussion.

If you are here on the first Sunday in June then the Old Port Festival is very fun. Any other Sunday and everyone grabs a ferry (15 minutes) to Peak’s Island for reggae on the deck. You look back over Casco Bay at Portland and the old fort. If you go in the morning, you can walk around the island’s perimeter, or bike/blade. Or go to brunch at someplace like Local 188 before the ferry ride.

I like Ri Ra but they are a chain and that is not what Portland is about. I do think they have figured out how to be local and do a great job. Most of the restaurants on the peninsula are into the farm/sea to table movement and it’s a good time to be alive. The best burger for me is The Front Room or the Grille Room (same owner). I also discovered a new pub called LFK that has amazing burgers. I could go on about the places I like but I think what might be better is to PM you a link of local restaurant news that you should check out every prior to your trip. It will help you find what you like. A new restaurant and distillery opened last week that I went to and really liked. Here is a link. http://www.pressherald.com/blogs/the_golden_dish/199443411.html

Also The Top of the East is a lounge at the top of a hotel that has fantastic views. One side is out over the islands and ocean and turn around and you can usually see the White Mountains in NH. Great sunset place. There are a couple of old schooners that take people out for a couple hours which I have done and it’s fun. A few miles from Portland is Fort Williams Park or Two Lights Park is the place to get a lobster roll.
    The train to and from Boston is very easy and takes about two hours. A trip to Arcadia would be very worth the effort – it is kinda life changing – but I’m trying to stay within your parameters. I’m heading out now for a few days skiing with a bud that has a nice inn there.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    So itinerary is all booked up now. We're doing Boston (1.5 days) >train> Portland (2 days) >car> Bar Harbor/Acadia (2 days) >car> Boothbay (1 night) >car> Portland >train> Boston >plane> home
    Kinda disappointed we're skipping out on NH though.
    Anyway, thanks for all the advice thus far. keep it comin :P
    bump
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I looooove Boston! Highly recommend the Sam Adams brewery tour. Have a great trip :)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Harpoon brewery is good too. I think they have much better beer than Sam Adams.

Another thing you can do is go to Quincy Market and follow the freedom line to the Boston commons. Walk through the commons and have a drink at the bull and finch (cheers).
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    There is a little Italian place in Boston...they have extra guests at the table that welcome you.

Unlost will gladly tell you about it, I think Pillow Pants knows the name...if he's hanging around here.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    RKCNDY wrote:
    There is a little Italian place in Boston...they have extra guests at the table that welcome you.

Unlost will gladly tell you about it, I think Pillow Pants knows the name...if he's hanging around here.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    RKCNDY wrote:

:mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    We're gonna do this hike while in Acadia, psyched! Excuse the overdramatic narrator
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdqE-ArH848
    We're gonna do this hike while in Acadia, psyched! Excuse the overdramatic narrator

Oh, man. Not to rain on your parade or anything, but usually that trail is closed in June due to nesting peregrine falcons. The Beehive is like a nice mini Precipice, though.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind wrote:

Oh, man. Not to rain on your parade or anything, but usually that trail is closed in June due to nesting peregrine falcons. The Beehive is like a nice mini Precipice, though.
    yea, I found that out after a little more research. We're definitely going to do beehive now and maybe Jordan Cliffs. Thanks for the tip though!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:
    Portland ME blows. it's good for about one day...two max. Freeport is just north of portland....if you like shopping, they have a ton of shops....but over rated and full of family's with kids in tow... it blows. they do have some good restraunts tho.

these places were both excellent

in portland
    http://www.forestreet.biz/

in freeport
    http://www.azurecafe.com/

we drove back thru NH. lot of nice places around the white mountain national forest.

we checked out a couple of lighthouses, and those were cool.

Salem, MA is between Portland and Boston...very touristy.

i also suggest, if the woman takes a mid afternoon nap, don't go to the hotel bar and drink a martini's all afternoon

HEY, Portland doesn't blow, I lived there for 4 years. Loved it!!

If you're going on the coastal side, I recommend Wells Beach and Kennebunkport

it's good for about a day.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:

it's good for about a day.

You're going to stick with that, huh? ;)
    dankind wrote:

Do you know if I need a dedicated hiking shoe/boot for most of these trails? I have "trail running" shoes...would those work?
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    dankind wrote:

Do you know if I need a dedicated hiking shoe/boot for most of these trails? I have "trail running" shoes...would those work?

You will be fine. Have fun, Acadia is one of my fav childhood memories, I really want to go back soon.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    CJ260717 wrote:

I like Ri Ra but they are a chain and that is not what Portland is about. .

I have been to the one in providence and it's not what any town is about IMO. That being said the only restaurant I stop in around Portland is the BK at the rest stop on 95N.

(The Inlaws live in Denmark, ME so we tend to get fed there ;) )
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
    See ya suckas! Be back in 8 days :D
    Man, what a trip. Boston was a cool city, could see myself going back to explore a little more. Did most of the freedom trail, toured Fenway, strolled through the Public Garden and Boston Common, had a few beers at Bukowskis, browsed at Newbury Comics. In hindsight I may have skipped Portland altogether. Highlights were the tours of Shipyard and Allagash Breweries (Allagash has some GREAT beers). Really wish I would have budgeted more time in Acadia National Park. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. We did countless hikes and drove up to the top of Cadillac Mountain around 1am to check out the stars...my mind was completely blown. This is definitely a place I will be visiting many more times. Boothbay Harbor was a quaint little village and a perfect place to stop to relax a little after all our activity in Acadia. Had a lobster roll from Red's Eats in Wiscasset and it was worth every penny of the $17.
    Anyway, thanks again to everyone who posted some tips in this thread. I'll post a few pics once I get them uploaded.
    Man, what a trip. Boston was a cool city, could see myself going back to explore a little more. Did most of the freedom trail, toured Fenway, strolled through the Public Garden and Boston Common, had a few beers at Bukowskis, browsed at Newbury Comics. In hindsight I may have skipped Portland altogether. Highlights were the tours of Shipyard and Allagash Breweries (Allagash has some GREAT beers). Really wish I would have budgeted more time in Acadia National Park. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. We did countless hikes and drove up to the top of Cadillac Mountain around 1am to check out the stars...my mind was completely blown. This is definitely a place I will be visiting many more times. Boothbay Harbor was a quaint little village and a perfect place to stop to relax a little after all our activity in Acadia. Had a lobster roll from Red's Eats in Wiscasset and it was worth every penny of the $17.
    Anyway, thanks again to everyone who posted some tips in this thread. I'll post a few pics once I get them uploaded.

Acadia is just the best. If I could find a job there other than selling T-Shirts, I would move to Bar Harbor like that.

Red's Eats lobster roll -- oh, man! Nom!

And I proposed to my wife after the "Leash" show (May 25, 2006) from the dirty floor of Bukowski Tavern. We were at the same booth where we had our first date nearly five and a half years before that show.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    60ca05ea-a447-42ee-8d68-827126f23e64_zps9a883f73.jpg

d9bb14dd-f02e-437d-a0a4-c81ea40c724b_zpsa757454c.jpg
    538da315-5e40-40ef-9056-7b8cb3c5a3b9_zpse0606372.jpg