going "off the grid"

2»

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    mca47 wrote:
    This girl I work with is in the process of getting of the grid.
    Her and her husband are building a new house in Spokane out in the middle of nowhere. They are using solar panels for electricity...though they'll only have so much juice per day. Water from the well they dug. They are also growing as much food as they can. They even have a beehive for honey and to help pollination.
    Like me, she works from home and is on the computer most of the day so for internet she's using her Verizon 4G MiFi.

I'd love to do this. Well...I'd still want electricity hooked up...but I love the idea of being completely self-sufficient.
    I think they are fucking nuts...
    Just my opinion.

They dug a well, and have a beehive?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, houses not hooked into the sewer system (anyone out of the city) has to dig a well for water. :lol::lol: You're not thinking old school bucket lowered into a well are you ? :lol::lol:
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    is it safe to say you disapprove of the fella from Into the Wild?
    I don't necessarily disapprove of him, JP, although I do consider it a selfish act (this, from an admittedly selfish person!) to leave loved ones behind wondering what the hell happened, am I ok, hungry, hurt...

I couldn't do so myself.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    hedonist wrote:
    is it safe to say you disapprove of the fella from Into the Wild?
    I don't necessarily disapprove of him, JP, although I do consider it a selfish act (this, from an admittedly selfish person!) to leave loved ones behind wondering what the hell happened, am I ok, hungry, hurt...

I couldn't do so myself.

Yeah, I kinda agree. Although I love the concept, I am torn about his selfishness. I dont really know the real story of his family though, so I try not to judge him.. And he was pretty young and likely feeling immortal for a bit.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I find going camping, hiking, canoeing, etc for a few weeks helps you snap back into focus.

I was on a recent trip where all I took was a book. Sometimes it takes a plane ride for me to remember how awesome books are.
  • jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    Old friend did this to avoid his back taxes. Think he's in Belize. He ran a charter fishing business here and a medical supply store, so he has the skills to find work or establish a business in a couple of different areas. I find it so selfish though. He blew into town last year on the 4th of July and most everybody ignored him because we all feel the same way about his behavior. Never asked him if he's happy with his decisions, guess I really don't care.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    mca47 wrote:
    Her and her husband are building a new house in Spokane out in the middle of nowhere. They are using solar panels for electricity...though they'll only have so much juice per day. Water from the well they dug. They are also growing as much food as they can. They even have a beehive for honey and to help pollination.
    Like me, she works from home and is on the computer most of the day so for internet she's using her Verizon 4G MiFi.

I'd love to do this. Well...I'd still want electricity hooked up...but I love the idea of being completely self-sufficient.

i think the OP is talking about another type of "off the grid" ...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    polaris_x wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Oh...
    Well maybe he should have called it something else damnit! :lol:
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    mca47 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Oh...
    Well maybe he should have called it something else damnit! :lol:

My fault. :D
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I knew a guy that just wanted to run away from his problems-he wanted to run away and move to a new place, start over, change his name...I think that's what you are getting at.

Anyway, he bought a book about it and when I got rid of him, the book was left behind.

I think this is the book: http://www.amazon.com/How-Disappear-Com ... +disappear

I am in the process of moving, if I come across it, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Personally, I have thought about it. I don't have any blood relatives that give a shit about me, so essentially it would be really easy...my only problem is that I love Seattle, I could never move away again.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    my only problem is that I love Seattle

have you considered trying out chicago for a week? say.....sometime in mid july....not sayin you will fall in love or not go back to seattle....but....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

have you considered trying out chicago for a week? say.....sometime in mid july.

yeah, still a no go.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • i actually never ever think about it - ever.

I go to Bonnaroo for 4 days -- that is enough 'into the wild' for me.
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

have you considered trying out chicago for a week? say.....sometime in mid july.

yeah, still a no go.

:x :x :x :x :x

here is the plan....

fill the freezer with tv dinners

leave a note...."be back in a few days....feed the dogs, eat tv dinners, love 4and20"

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,196
    Man i wish i could just up and leave but i can't do that to all the one's i love , maybe once the kids are all independent of me & wife but as of now it's a no go ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    81 wrote:

here is the plan....

leave a note...."be back in a few days....feed the dogs, eat tv dinners, love 4and20"

isn't there a song about something like that?

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

here is the plan....

isn't there a song about something like that?

:think:

pina coladasadaass(sp)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

:think:

pina coladasadaass(sp)

I was thinking more of Porch.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,037
    This is one of those things I miss about living in Alaska for 2 yrs..... I had no cell phone, barely stayed in touch by email, just wrote and went out on the boat when work required it...Miss those days sometimes... Simple life without distraction.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby